TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
syxx2001

Getting back into comics

I tried to build a collection last year, but fell off back in about July when I stopped getting money in my money getting ways. The last X-book I got I think was either the issue where the chick (I forget her name) turns into Magneto or the one that takes place in the graveyard. I also got Venom #2, Outsiders #1, I had plans on getting the Spectacular Spidey series and I think the last Ultimate Spidey I got was the one when someone fell out of a plane. I dont remember the last Ultimate X I got. I had Xtreme X too, I think it was issue 3 of the MKGK -something like that 2 storyline. And for New X-Men, I had issue 3 of the storyline going on at that time too. But I didnt understand it. I just remember it ending with 2 guys looking at this big building and being like "This is the new city" or something like that. It was weird. So, can someone tell me how the books are doing and if I should continue getting them AND what new X and Spidey books came out and what new and good Marvel books came out. Im not much of a DC fan, cept for Outsiders cause they seem cool. So, help, thanks. Hope it wasnt too hard to understand.

If you're looking into New X-Men, I'd suggest waiting out the current storyline as you'll be confused as hell. Uncanny has a pretty good storyline right now centering around the Guthries, and I think that Weapon X is a book you should be reading right now as far as the muties go.

I also recommend picking up Supreme Power, for JMS' "Ultimate Justice League"...

You didn't hear me say this, but if you've got a good broadband connection, just go on DC++ and download some runs of issues from the comics hubs. That's how I've been catching up.

Otherwise, there's an absolute crapload of X-Titles out there now. From what I've glanced over, you'll probably want to check out New X-Men (after the Here Comes Tomorrow storyarc comes out...because they're right, it is confusing as hell). Emma Frost is actually a decent read too, even though it's more of a teenage drama than your typical action comic.

Other options: Uncanny X-Men (which I believe Claremont is returning to write again), X-Statix (which used to be X-Force) or even 1602 (which is an "medieval Elseworlds" deal for the Marvel Universe that's written by Neil Gaiman). From what I've heard, most of the other books (Agent X, Wolverine, X-Treme X-Men, X-Men Unlimited) aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

One thing I'm not sure of: the Ultimates line, which I guess is some kind of ultra-action alterna-verse versions of some of the popular Marvel comics. That could be worth checking out, perhaps.

You didn't hear me say this, but if you've got a good broadband connection, just go on DC++ and download some runs of issues from the comics hubs. That's how I've been catching up.

I'll second that. With DC++ and bittorent you can find everything.

Any of the current Amazing Spider-Man TPBs are good jumping-on points, wether you missed something or not. They're all good to great reads.

Everything related to the X-Men line you can find on TPB as well. And I can't say enough good things about the Waid/Wieringo Fantastic Four. Pick up the Imaginauts and Unthinkable stories NOW.

Guest realsandman420

what everyone should be reading

-anything by BENDIS

-fables

-gotham central

-supreme power

-true stroy, swear to god

-wildcats

trades to get to catch up

-all the wildcats written by joe casey

-all the transmetropolion

-warren ellis stormwatch

-authority trades

-rising stars

-midnight nation

man, i could go on and on and on.....

Fantastic Four!!! It's being written by Mark Waid and is the best that book has been in DECADES! (Fantastic Four...no bloody Ultimate, 4, X, or Knights ;) )

Don't worry if you've never really been able to get into FF before, because Waid's FF is re-converting thousands

I think that Weapon X is a book you should be reading right now as far as the muties go.

Errrr, well, I'll definitely say that Weapon X is an interesting read since, if for no other reason, it's a book where absolutely none of the characters are sympathetic or redeemable. The tone of characters switch from issue to issue and the writing varies from decent to down right awful ("let's make a mutant concentration camp...and have nobody except for X-Force alumni do anything about it!").

If you enjoy odd "bad guy" books that have decent art, but not much else, you should check out Weapon X. Otherwise, save your money (and/or download time).

Good Marvels:

X-Treme X-Men (soon to be replaced by Excalibur)

Supreme Power

Hawkeye

Good DC:

Outsiders

Teen Titans

Fables

Human Target

Good Other:

GI Joe

Strangers in Paradise

Savage Dragon

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR