TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Lieberman Says He Has National Support

WILMINGTON, Del. — Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Lieberman (search) said endorsements Sunday from three newspapers in the South and Northwest show he's the candidate with national support.

But that has yet to be borne out by national and state polls, which show the Connecticut senator in single digits and well behind most of his six rivals for the Democratic nomination.

Lieberman skipped the Iowa caucuses and finished fifth in the New Hampshire primary. He has spent considerable time and resources on some of the seven states with primaries or caucuses on Tuesday, including Delaware, Oklahoma and South Carolina, where a victory could keep his campaign alive.

He was endorsed Sunday by two newspapers in South Carolina — The State, the largest newspaper there, and the Greenville News — along with the Seattle Times.

After preaching a gospel of shared values to about 300 members of the New Destiny Fellowship, a black Protestant congregation in Wilmington, Del., Lieberman said he was encouraged by the endorsements. The Arizona Republic also backed Lieberman last week.

"What this says is that I have national support," Lieberman told reporters on his fifth campaign stop in the state. "I'm the Democrat who can bring people together and win the election and actually get something done. That's the appeal I make to the voters here in Delaware and the six other states."

Before the church service, Lieberman worked the breakfast crowd at Jimmy's Restaurant in Wilmington. He was capping the day in Oklahoma, meeting voters and watching the Super Bowl.

Dean's Sunday schedule had him in Wisconsin and Michigan. In Milwaukee, he met privately with black leaders, then spoke at the Holy Redeemer Institutional Church of God in Christ. President Bush visited the same church in July.

Dean touted his record on health care and his position on affirmative action, but avoided a critique of his rivals in favor of a more agreeable tone at the church.

"I am blessed, I am grateful and I thank you," he said. "Praise the Lord."

OMG TOOL OF THE DEVIL 2004 LOLZ~!!!!!11!!!!!  ALL PRAISE SATAN~!

Republicans would definitely support Dean, Kucinich, Lieberman, or Sharpton because they have no chance. (Dean's got a chance but he keeps doing stupid shit)

As for the other candidates, Kerry may look good now but everyone's moved their focus (and attacks) from Dean to him, meaning his support may drop in favor of Edwards soon.

I like Joe Lieberman. I really do. He's got more character and integrity than anybody in this race. I don't agree with him on all of his policies, but I can trust him to stick to his own convictions, not those of the Democratic party machine, and for that I respect him as a candidate and as a person.

Guest MikeSC
I like Joe Lieberman. I really do. He's got more character and integrity than anybody in this race. I don't agree with him on all of his policies, but I can trust him to stick to his own convictions, not those of the Democratic party machine, and for that I respect him as a candidate and as a person.

Sorry, but after his run in 2000 for VP, he ALREADY showed that he'll sell out his beliefs for power.

-=Mike

As for the other candidates, Kerry may look good now but everyone's moved their focus (and attacks) from Dean to him, meaning his support may drop in favor of Edwards soon.

Kerry may very well have the nomination wrapped up before the attacks really begin against him.

The fact he made this statement in Delaware, where he is expected to get his ass kicked should tell you something about Joe's chances.

Lieberman has no chance of winning the presidency. I hate to sound somewhat trivial, but I think it's because of his Jewish heritage. I have nothing against him, but I think he's just a very bland candidate. The Democratic National Committee pooled all their resources into John Kerry this past month, and I think they want him to face Bush in November. Dean has the popularity, but he is a very emotional character on the camera, and some people aren't turned on by his aggressive stances on certain issues. Edwards has an outside shot, however he's a bit young and people will view him as inexperiencecd.

The fact he made this statement in Delaware, where he is expected to get his ass kicked should tell you something about Joe's chances.

Joe took second in Delaware! Ok, a very distant second...but second none the less! :P

That was the Democrats best hope right there. A candidate that could match Bush on defense and foreign policy and match and possibily surpass his morals and religious dedication. The only candidate that proposed a sweeping middle class tax cut to replace Bush's current model rather than simply repealing them and raising taxes. He surpasses Bush by being strong on the enviornment, gun control, woman's rights and civil unions. A man with expirience in politics, a likeable personality and the demeanor and composure to serve as President.

Instead of rallying behind a moderate, they are left with a personalityless liberal Massachusetts senator, an inexpirienced filthy rich trial lawyer, a bumbling former general with no distinguishable positions and a fading left wing ideologue with anger issues. Oh and Al Sharpton. And the little hippy guy. Maybe in 08 the Demos will remember their centrist base that more closely matches the populus...until then, looks like it's Bush in 04...

Yes, we know Joe has been vocal in the past about violence and sexuality portrayed in the media. There is not one candidate who will disagree with this position, Joe simply has the convictions and the balls to stand up and make his views be known. It's not like it's the only thing he stands for, and I'm sure you can find something about EVERY candidate that you don't agree with, but I wish people wouldn't ignore all his other qualities just because they're afraid his first act as president will be to magically take away their wrestling and video games. We all know the media is way too powerful, and there are so many other more important things the president needs to attend to, so really it's just talk and pandering. Anyway, it's a moot point now.

I agree. A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to my roommate about the 2000 election, and he said "I guarantee you if Al Gore was president it would be illegal to play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City". I tried explaining that they couldn't just do that, but he wouldn't listen. People have to realize that he's not just the "I hate video games" guy, but then again, he really isn't known for that much else.

but then again, he really isn't known for that much else.

Well, besides being the only Democrat to continue to support the war on Iraq, propose a middle class tax cut, not run from religion and faith based programs but embrace them, and his friendly personality and sense of humor. But I'm glad you have some common sense and can see through the "OMG HE'S GOING TO BAN VIDEO GAMES~!!!!" crap.

Guest Olympic Slam

I think there's a big gap between "OMG ban all violent video games" and "I think GTA is inappropriate for kids under 17." I think people are crying censorship way too easily these days. Critisism towards something is being treated like something out of an Orson Wells novel. You can STILL not like something yet at the same time, not be out on a crusade to have it wiped off the planet. But, we're living in a liberally driven world where young people seem to think that "everything and anything goes." The Super Bowl half-time fiasco is exhbit A. Young people have been trained to connect "critisism" to censorship, when in fact they're two things that have YET to be connected.

I think there's a big gap between "OMG ban all violent video games" and "I think GTA is inappropriate for kids under 17." I think people are crying censorship way too easily these days. Critisism towards something is being treated like something out of an Orson Wells novel. You can STILL not like something yet at the same time, not be out on a crusade to have it wiped off the planet. But, we're living in a liberally driven world where young people seem to think that "everything and anything goes." The Super Bowl half-time fiasco is exhbit A. Young people have been trained to connect "critisism" to censorship, when in fact they're two things that have YET to be connected.

BINGO. The man simply wants kids protected from inapprorpriate material and wants parents informed with warnings on the packaging. If you're over 17, there shouldn't be a problem!