TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

A few WCW PPVs

Hey, can you guys give me quick thoughts on the following WCW PPVs? Wondering if they're worth seeing.

Hog Wild 96

Halloween Havoc 96

World War III 96

Spring Stampede 97

Slamboree 97

GAB 97

Road Wild 97

Fall Brawl 97

Souled Out 98

Superbrawl VIII

Spring Stampede 98

Bash at Beach 98

I know that's a lot of PPVs...but thanks!!! :)

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Hey, can you guys give me quick thoughts on the following WCW PPVs? Wondering if they're worth seeing.

Hog Wild 96

Halloween Havoc 96

World War III 96

Spring Stampede 97

Slamboree 97

GAB 97

Road Wild 97

Fall Brawl 97

Souled Out 98

Superbrawl VIII

Spring Stampede 98

Bash at Beach 98

I know that's a lot of PPVs...but thanks!!! :)

Damn, I've never seen any of those (except BATB 98). Well, BATB 98 I think had the lame Rodman/Hulk v. Malone/DDP main event, and the under-card to me is very forgetable, since I only remember Mysterio return v. Jericho I think.

Guest Deebo

Off the top of my head I can remember seeing Hog Wild 96. There's a terrific Benoit-Malenko match on there and pretty good Mysterio-Ultimo and Eddy-Flair matches, so its probably worth it for those three.

Superbrawl VIII

This one is worth your while. Some of the highlights:

A *great* series of opening matches involving Booker, Rick Martel (who gets injured in this match and is forced to retire forever) and Perry Saturn.

Awesome 'Belt vs Mask' encounter between Juvi Juice and Chris Jericho, made even better by the fact that Jericho had just turned heel and was seriously bringing the hilarity to every single match.

Lex Luger tries to wrestle.

Chris Benoit vs Diamond Dallas Page. You'll thank me for recommending it later.

The big Scott Steiner turn takes place here as well, note how little work Nash does in the tag match, then remind yourself he was probably pocketing well over a million dollars a year there.

The main event is fairly inoffensive, however Hogan gets a tad too much offence in and the finish is bogus.

Great, old school WCW show. Check it out.

UYI

Souled Out 98 is awesome,Booker T vs Rick Martel,Chris Benoit vs Raven the 8 man Lucha match and Bret Hart vs Ric Flair are all really good matches.

Hog Wild-

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/videos/a...p?videos_id=140

Slamboree is alright- the main event is pretty awesome. And Regal wrestles Dragon for 17 minutes.

Souled Out-

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/videos/a...p?videos_id=142

Superbrawl-

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/videos/a...p?videos_id=243

Hey- I gotta shill my work sometime!

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Wasn't Benoit/Malenko (from Hog Wild) the match that the crowd shat on because they were drunk rednecks?

And who thought "Hog Wild" was a good PPV name? Must be up there with Breakdown (WWE's Sept. 98 name) for names that suck and were never used again.

Yep- no one cared about Benoit v. Dean.

They stopped using the name Hog Wild after Harley Davidson cried foul. That's why it was changed to Road Wild

Hog Wild 96

This is an important historical show, as its the first PPV after the NWO started "invading". Crowd sucks. Hall and Nash go over Sting and Luger, and Hogan wins World Title #7 over The Giant in the main event. I like the NWO tag because it was cool to see Hall & Nash (who made their careers huge in WWF) go over two of WCW's darlings, Sting and Lex. THATS HOW YOU DO AN INVASION.

Halloween Havoc 96

Historic (I guess) because Piper makes his return to wrestling. Outsiders take the tag belts from Harlem Heat. Savage/Hogan bore us in the ME. Jericho faces Gedo.

World War III 96

I think the NWO kicks everyone's ass, and then Luger starts eliminating them 1 by 1 until The Giant (who went NWO) wins it. Hey, at least it was realistic. Nick Patrick Vs. Jericho (one hand tied behind back). Don't recall much else.

Spring Stampede 97

Savage (NWO) Vs. DDP. Booker T calls Hogan a nice word. #1 Contender's Match: Booker T Vs. Stevie Ray Vs. Giant Vs. Luger. HAHAHAHA.

Slamboree 97

Malenko retains U.S. Title SURPRINGLY against Jarrett. Crowd loves this. Results in Malenko dropping title a week (or next night?) later to him on Nitro, I believe. Doesn't Reggie White face Mongo? Yawn. Nash Vs. Rick Steiner. Oh yeah, Flair, Kevin Greene and someone kick The Wolfpack (the original 3-way clique's) ass.

GAB 97

Is Hogan STILL world champ? Jesus, he never defended it. Don't know/care.

Road Wild 97

Jericho jobs to Alex Wright. Fuck you, WCW.

Fall Brawl 97

Two GOOD, LONG openers. Jericho/Eddie and Alex Wright/Ultimo. Horsemen jobs to NWO B-Team + Nash.

Souled Out 98

Good TV Title stuff. Jericho begins AWESOME HEEL RUN OF 1998, by defeating already-injured Rey Mysterio.

Superbrawl VIII

Booker T CONTINUES HIS AWESOME (1st half) of 1998, beats Saturn and Martel. Goldberg crushes Brad Armstrong. Jericho forces JUVENTUD to unmask.

Spring Stampede 98

Jericho crushes Prince Nakamaki. Saturn/Goldberg DOESN'T SUCK. Sting's title reign ends in 2 months....after fucking 2 years of buildup.

Bash at Beach 98

REALLY, REALLY FUN/GOOD Mortis/Wrath Vs. Cat/Glacier match. SERIOUSLY! It's a HOT crowd and a GOOD match. Jericho/Ultimo is pretty good. Steiners beat shitty Muta and shitty Chono.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Event: Bash at the Beach 1998

Date: July 12, 1998

Arena: Cox Arena

Attendence: 10,095

Non-Televised Match: Los Villanos IV and V defeated Damien and Ciclope (7:51) when IV pinned Damien....No Disqualification Match: Raven pinned Saturn (10:40) in a "no DQ" match....Juventud Guerrera pinned Billy Kidman (9:55)....Stevie Ray defeated Chavo Guerrero, Jr. (1:35) via submission....Hair Versus Hair Match: Eddie Guerrero pinned Chavo Guerrero, Jr. (11:54) in a "hair vs. hair" match....Konnan defeated Disco Inferno (2:16) via submission....The Giant pinned Kevin Greene (6:58)....World Cruiserweight Title Match: Rey Misterio, Jr. pinned Chris Jericho (6:00) to apparently win the WCW Cruiserweight Title. However, the title was returned to Jericho due to interference by Dean Malenko....World Television Title Match: Booker T defeated Bret Hart (8:28) by Disqualification....World Heavyweight Title Match: Bill Goldberg pinned Curt Hennig (3:50)....Hulk Hogan and Dennis Rodman defeated Diamond Dallas Page and Karl Malone (23:47) when Hogan pinned Page

Thats the 98 version. The 1997 one was run down somewhat earlier.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

vent: WCW The Great American Bash 1998

Date: June 14, 1998

Arena: Balltimore Arena

Attendence: 12, 810

Booker T pinned Chris Benoit (16:20)....Chris Kanyon pinned Perry Saturn (14:46)....World Cruiserweight Title Match: Chris Jericho defeated Dean Malenko (13:52) by Disqualification to win the vacant title....Juventud Guerrera pinned Ron Reis (8:45)....Chavo Guerrero, Jr. pinned Eddie Guerrero (14:46)....World Televsion Title Match: Booker T pinned Fit Finlay (13:13) to win the title....United States Heavyweight Title Match: Bill Goldberg pinned Konnan (1:57) to retain the title....Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart defeated Roddy Piper and Randy Savage (11:40) when Bret forced Savage to submit.....Roddy Piper defeated Randy Savage (1:37) via submission....World Tag Team Title Match: Sting pinned The Giant (6:40) to win the titles. As a result Sting was allowed to choose a partner to become WCW Tag Champs as he and The Giant had joined opposing NWO factions. Sting chose Kevin Nash.

On Paper, GAB 98 looks pretty good until you get to the Hogan/Bret v. Piper/Savage match.

Souled Out 98

Superbrawl VIII

Spring Stampede 98

Awesome stuff. FIND SOME COPIES!!! :D

Hog Wild 96 - Has an awesome Benoit/Malenko, really good Eddie/Flair and Rey/Ultimo matches, but has a horrible Giant/Hogan match. I say Get it.

Halloween Havoc 96 - Has a really good Malenko/Rey opener, an underrated Horsemen/Faces Of Fear match, and two decent matches in Jericho/Syxx and Eddie/DDP. I'd say skip since you can get the Malenko/Rey match on the Rey DVD.

World War III 96 - Phenomenal Ultimo/Rey match, nothing else is that good. I'd say find Ultimo/Rey and stay away from the best.

Spring Stampede 97 - Pretty good Rey/Ultimo match, a really disappointing Benoit/Malenko match and I like DDP/Savage. Also this is the famous PPV where Booker T calls Hulk Hogan a nigga. I'd pretty much say skip.

Slamboree 97 - Never Saw

GAB 97 - Nothing memorable. I like Benoit/Meng, and Savage/DDP is alright. I'd say skip.

Road Wild 97 - Decent Alex Wright/Jericho match, shockingly good Giant/Savage match and two all right matches in DDP/Henning and Flair/Syxx. All in all, I'd try to find it.

Fall Brawl 97 - Awesome Eddie/Jericho match, Really good Ultimo/Alex Wright match, I liked Wrath and Mortis vs Faces of Fear, and War Games is good for a late 90's War Games. Get it.

Souled Out 98 - Awesome PPV with a great 8 Man Lucha, Martel/Booker, Benoit/Raven, Flair/Bret, Jericho/Mysterio and a suprisingly decent Giant/Nash match. Definately get it.

Superbrawl 98 - Another Awesome PPV with Benoit/DDP, Booker/Martel, Booker/Saturn, Juvi/Jericho and a fun Disco Inferno/La Parka match.

Spring Stampede 98 - A disappointing Benoit/Booker match, a good Ultimo/Chavo match, and a decent Goldberg/Saturn match. Skip it.

Bash At The Beach 98 - A good Kidman/Juvi match, decent Chavo/Eddie and Jericho/Rey matches, and a horrible main event. Skip It.