TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Features you want to see in Football games

Ok I was just wondering what kind of features you guys would like to see in future football games? Be it College or NFL games.

What I'd really like to see is more of an image for the Coach and the team. What I was thinking was how you play the game and decisions you make could lead to how the media views you. Not only could you have the SI covers like in NCAA 2K4 but you could also have Sportscenter or even just the Sports News talking about you and what you did in the game. Then you could hold press conferences where you could increase or decrease your image.

You could be really nice in the conference or you could go all Bobby Knight on everyone.

Hell they could even add in ways to discipline your players and keep them under control. Then you could lose image b/c your players start fights during the games.

That's another thing they need to add in....depending on the attitude of the player they could start a fight after a paticuarly rough play(of course you'd have the option to turn this off)

Anyways that's what I'd like to see. I think it'd help add to the realism and allow me to go all Bobby Knight on the people that piss me off.

I'd like to see transfers in college football. You've already got players leaving early, so why not add the option of having them transfer? My defense got to the point where I was having to cut players with rankings in the 80s. No way that should happen. Those types of guys should transfer to other schools.

I'd also like to see EA put in more coach outfits (seeing Jim Tressel and Joe Paterno not wearing shirts and ties is borderline blaspheme).

I dunno if ESPN would do this, now that Playmakers is gone. But I would love it if players could cause off-field problems. Or the media could target the coach (ie you) after a string of losses. Something to give franchise/season a little more oomph. Lots of stuff happens like that in the NFL...if you want your game a true sim, it should be included.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

How about, while Al Michaels in commentating, you see John Madden stuffing himself with turkey?

Guest DVD Spree

I've said this before, but I have NO KNOWLEDGE of football whatsoever.

But I do remember that when the XFL was being marketed, Vince did an interview promising the "Bubba Cam" as one of the league's innovations, where a camerman would be decked out in an armoured/padded suit and sent on the field to get the closest shots to the action. Players would receive bonuses for tackling the shit out of him.

It's just such fucking genius - surely someone could find a way of integrating it into a game...

I wouldn't mind seeing customizable playbooks in games like NCAA. I got a few plays out of one formation that I like to run, but I'd like to have a few other choices that aren't in that teams playbook. So anything of that sort would be great.

I'd also love to see off-field problems cause headaches for your coach. A player gets arrested, something of that sort and it causes you to re-think your whole strategy.

Yeah the off field problems would be great.

I remember right after the Texas A&M game everyone jumping down Bob Stoops throat because he refused to take his starters out and ran up the score 77-0. I thought it'd be funny if after a paticuarly vicious win where you embarassed the other team the media lambasted you for being a bad sportsmen and such.

I remember right after the Texas A&M game everyone jumping down Bob Stoops throat because he refused to take his starters out and ran up the score 77-0. I thought it'd be funny if after a paticuarly vicious win where you embarassed the other team the media lambasted you for being a bad sportsmen and such.

I'd be killed by the media then. I love leaving my starting offense in blowout games so I can get my HB 200+ yards.

I'd be killed by the media then. I love leaving my starting offense in blowout games so I can get my HB 200+ yards.

You and me both buddy. Lee Corso gets on to me for running up the score often.

Gee thanks Dam I needed to be reminded of that travesty *sigh*. That was a horrible, horrible day. I woke up late and turned it on in the 1st quarter and it was already 21-0. I turned the game back off and went to have a beer.

Back on topic, I agree with the transfer idea and the off-season things. It'd be a little difficult to sim recruiting violations unless the recruiting part was much more in depth, but I can see your starting tailback getting busted for DUI or assault, then getting suspended by the NCAA. Shoot they could even reference any behavior problems when you're recruiting him, something that indicates if he'll get into trouble (such as "He's had some off the field problems, but is a good kid"). I like the SportsCenter idea, but it would be hard to squeeze it onto the disc since it already seems rather full. Would be cool though.

Wait...I'm no American Football fan. Well...actually, it pretty much bores me compared to the equivalant (Rugby or Football...sorry...'Socca')...

...but, a team was lambasted for being bad sportsman for winning by too many points and embarassing another team? That is F'n hilarious! Isn't the whole point of American Football to win the game, or am I missing something. And if not, why would you not keep scoring if you were able to?

...but, a team was lambasted for being bad sportsman for winning by too many points and embarassing another team? That is F'n hilarious! Isn't the whole point of American Football to win the game, or am I missing something. And if not, why would you not keep scoring if you were able to?

Stoops was blasted for killing them with his starters for the entire game. Had he allowed his second string to play when things were well underhand, he wouldn't have been criticized nearly as much. It's a fine line between dominance and being an overdominant prick.

My take on it is that players in the NCAA are amateurs not being paid to play and I also believe that you should at least show some respect for your opponents. If it had been a football or American football game with professionals being paid five or six digit salaries, then I say let the bloodletting stand and let them earn their pay.

Anyway, on topic, I agree about adding a transfer system for those players that could start elsewhere and develop instead of being stuck on the bench or even getting cut during their collegiate career.

Stoops was blasted for killing them with his starters for the entire game. Had he allowed his second string to play when things were well underhand, he wouldn't have been criticized nearly as much. It's a fine line between dominance and being an overdominant prick.

My take on it is that players in the NCAA are amateurs not being paid to play and I also believe that you should at least show some respect for your opponents. If it had been a football or American football game with professionals being paid five or six digit salaries, then I say let the bloodletting stand and let them earn their pay.

Ah...well, I get that point on the amateur stance. Then again...I'm no expert on American Football. But I get your point. That's like in soccer when the Premiership clubs put out secondary teams against the lower divisioners in cup comps.

Still though, it did seem a little weird from a non-American Football-fan POV.

Wait...I'm no American Football fan. Well...actually, it pretty much bores me compared to the equivalant (Rugby or Football...sorry...'Socca')...

Yeah it basically went like this.

Texas A&M had beaten Oklahoma the previous year. Oklahoma was apparently embarassing anything that had touched them last year this year. As evidenced with a 50-something to 9 victory over Oklahom State.

Then they went into the game with Texas A&M and just bitch slapped them like they were nothing. When it was obvious that OU wasn't losing this game in any way shape or form Bob Stoops should've pulled all of his starters and sent in the second team. Instead he kept his starters in there to prove a point and ended up racking the score up to 77-0.

So yeah he was being unsportsman like. He was just pounding on them to prove a point.

Eh, if the other teams don't want to get beaten down so badly don't let them score.

I want the return of the helmet cam(Madden preferably or NCAA). I'd like to see more options on stadiums and more playbooks realistic to the coaches/teams then the generic plays in all the playbooks.

ESPN has First-Person Football...is that what you mean by Helmet Cam?

FPF is so freakin cool. Now, they could combine that with our off-field problems idea. Imagine seeing, in first person view, your starting QB "tripping over his dog", or your HB breaking his hand while "reaching for the remote". Or Romo punching one of your backups in the face. Hilarity, people.

Guest TheArchiteck

Since they have gang tackles now....how about pile ups?

A player fumbles the ball, a whole gang of players on both team just leap for the ball causing a pile up. Why not? It happens in real games.

I also wouldn't mind seeing non seriously injured players given the option to play. Like have em out on the field with a big ass cast around their arm.

Other than things like that, more in depth off the field actions would be great.

Just add in a behavior/attitude stat and like a couple ppl mentioned.....ppl with high attitude gets into law trouble, over celebrate and going into the camera on the side bragging..or cant control their temper and badmouths everyone....even the coach if they go on a losing streak.

Or the low attitude people do good deads for the community...read books to children, serve food for the poor...and in return increase PR for the team and gets players endorsements (and hopefully raise your cap a lil).

It should all be in its own menu like "media room" or something (it could fit in nicely with espn nfl).

That would be pretty dope.

Personally, I'd like to see more financial complexity, in terms of contract negotiations with players and such. Let's get some interesting incentives and signing bonuses, new ways to get around the salary cap, even competing offers from other teams. So many times in so many franchise simulations (not just in football, but EVERYWHERE), it's you staring at a dialog, incrementing the offered salary by a small amount, pressing "offer contract", and so on and so forth.

I never thought about the pile ups. Not only would it be just downright hilarious but it'd fun to do as well.

I'd also like to have even more vicious tackles........I'd love to turn someone inside out and flip him around when two guys hit him.

In the same vein as having injured players play anyway, how about the option of doping the players up with pain killers so that they can perform, just not quite up to par.

Including a feature where one team or just a handful of players just gets wasted or whatever the night before the Superbowl should be available, too.

Create a realistic rivalry system, with big games resulting in player maiming before, after, and during the games.

That's all I can think of right now...

In the same vein as having injured players play anyway, how about the option of doping the players up with pain killers so that they can perform, just not quite up to par.

Including a feature where one team or just a handful of players just gets wasted or whatever the night before the Superbowl should be available, too.

Create a realistic rivalry system, with big games resulting in player maiming before, after, and during the games.

Watch Playmakers much?

Watch Playmakers much?

Don't forget the buying drugs at halftime minigame.

Guest TheArchiteck

You know what....having rivaries get created mid season would be great.

Like it would be two evenly matched teams who give off a hell of a close game. Intense emotions are flowing thru every player and only one play decides the game. One team lines up for the kick to tie and BLOCK! The other team wins and players get heated at each other.

You then would get emails from their coach saying how you won that game by luck or they would email you flaunting another "W" off of you. Hell even during drafting season, your rival team can bribe or fill the heads of players you scouted if the rivalry is a long term deep seeded one.

And seeing more financial aspects get more in depth would be nice too.

I'm all for long term gaming. Anything to carry over to the next season to get me to play longer besides seeing me control the entire league.

Actually, I've never seen an episode of Playmakers.

How about a Deion Sanders (Or Bo Jackson) -mode where one of your players pursues another sport, leaving him either fatigued for games, or unavailable to play at all.

I would like a "Create-a-Rival" mode. Where you create a rivalry and then they could start to cover it's history and tell you all about it including a W-L record. You could even create a trophy to win from it.

I still want my ESPN feature the most though.

Guest Krazy Karter

I want a "spectator" camera view that you can position anywhere in the stadium.

It would be sweet to be able to play the game from the vantage point of where you sit at actual NFL games.

It would also be 10x more fun to watch a simmed game from the stands.

This would work great in the other sports titles. Hell, if you're looking to become a season ticket holder you could try out the seats in the game!

Yeah it does. That's pretty cool.

I've decided that the ESPN interview feature I want should have a special "Bobby Knight" add-on. Where you can get up their and go "All you fucking media people can kiss my ass!" *slaps player*

Add challeneges to online play for Madden

Enhance the crowd. If the home team scores show them celebrating in the stands, if the road team scores show them in disgust. If you are playing a season, if the team you are playing sucks, have the stadium half empty. Maybe even have them throw debris onto the field in frustration.