TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaertos

"Breaking Kayfabe"

Monday, February 9, 2004

First off, I apologize for the lack of a "Breaking Kayfabe" column in the last several weeks. Not only has there been tons of stuff going on (which I will get to in a moment), but between the holidays, a touch of the flu, a sick son and a wife in Arizona for a legal conference I promise you I have been a busy, busy man. Luckily, my sister Kathy doesn't live too far from the house, or I would have had to take time off the road to watch Chris.

So, on to more pressing matters. As I am sure you have read online (I know smartmarks.com broke the story a week or two before CF) my best friend Brian Applewhite, best known to the majority of you as the ever-heelish Suicide King, has retired from his position as the Commissioner of Smartmarks Wrestling Entertainment. He felt that his time behind the scenes and on the road was cutting into his personal life to a far greater degree than he wanted, at least for the time being. He is still with the company (his new title is "Creative Consultant") and will travel to shows when he has the chance, but realistically, the SWF faces its first time without King in a front office position since late 2001. As his friend, I am both sorry to see him go, as he was a huge asset to the company, but glad that he will be happier. Good luck, old friend.

This would have been enought to qualify as a major shake-up in the SWF by itself, but coupled with the other major event of January 2004, I think we can safely say it has been a month to remember. As all of you by now know, SWE has closed the Smartmarks Junior League and promoted all of the Leagers to the WF. Several people in the office proposed the idea, and while I can safely say that I was against it initially, I am thrilled with the Leagers attitudes and energy. I was also thrilled to be asked to be a part of the last SJL show at their home base at the Gund Arena in Cleveland. It was a very emotional night and they put on a great show, one that I am sure will be remembered for a long, long time. So, as I am sure you all saw, we welcomed the JLers into the WF at CF 2004. All of them did a spectacular job at what turned out to be an amazing Pay-Per-View. It is nice to see the Cruiserweight Title back on the board. And again, I wasn't sure about uniting the US and SJL titles, but the fan response was phenominal. So phenominal that we have decided to keep the United States / Junior League Title name. The USJL title will gain quite a bit of cachet from the history associated with both titles.

A final note on CF: the world title match was a great capper to the show, and I think Va'aiga will be a good champion. I also want to wish Danny Williams good luck in all of his future endeavors as he moves on to other things. Keep in touch Danny.

So, between the two massive changes there has been a pretty major shake-up in the "Front Office" here in the SWF. By vote of the Board of Directors, Alex Zenon takes over as Commissioner while I remain Director of Talent Relations. Longdogger Pete, Commissioner of the SJL, has taken the opportunity to take some time away from the business. Thoth has been promoted from SJL Talent Relations to SWF Chief Trainer. Thugg will be taking some time away from his in-ring activities in the near future to become Chief Road Agent for Storm and Smarkdown. Chris Raynor, on-air Commissioner of the SJL, will remain as Chief Road Agent for Lockdown.

Finally, I would love to see some feedback on "Breaking Kayfabe". And if there are any questions you would like to have answered, just ask!

Until next time, keep swingin' for the fences...

- "Grand Slam" Mark Stevens

Edited by Grand Slam

Yes, I'd like to request a bigger part in the next one. ;) :D

Seriously, though, entertaining as always. "Breaking Kayfabe" remains one of the cooler little things about the SWF, and another reason the fed is awesome.

It also gives a window into the "real" side of GSMS's character, which, as Tom once put it, "reminds people he's more than Axis with a baseball cap." Of course, you were on commentary when he said it, but meh. Same message here.

-Z

Guest Suicide King

Though I no longer have any power, I would like to remind everyone that my scorn can still wither houseplants.

Guest Aecas

Well thats my attempt at creating my very own Botanical Garden bollocksed then isn;t it?

In all serious though I do love these Breaking Kayfabe columns as they are always a good read. Keep it Mark!

Very nice, Mark... way to score a touchdown!! ;)

In all seriousness, I enjoy these just for that extra layer of reality that the columns tack on to the fed. Just like when I asked who travels with who. It's fun to think about things like that.

My question is what the hell non-kayfabe Edwin is up to, as well as a bunch of the other retired guys like Strangler and Erek. I haven't decided, so I'll let Mark figure it out for the next time he does one of these. I continue to love them.

Let's hire Axis back so he can be the Santa Claus to all the staff's kids like Freddie Blassie was in the WWF.

That is a good idea for a BK Column Edwin. If anyone wants to PM me about what their retired character might be doing, I think I'll pull together a column about it. Maybe throw in some more stuff "Behind the Scenes" and a "Road Story" and have another BK up in less than a month!