TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

So What Did You Think Of The Contract Singing?

Well, it depends on what contract and loop hole they're talking about.

If it's his Smackdown contract, then he's on RAW for good.

If it's his Royal Rumble contract which overrides the Smackdown contract, then in theory, once the RR contract expires with his Mania title shot, he can go back to smackdown.

Of course, he's been on Smackdown twice already, he can pretty-much-well come and go whenever he pleases.

You're right. I was thinking about that this morning.

Benoit was drafted to Smackdown, returned to Raw with some weird loophole that allowed him to beat up Austin, but after Austin left, he jumped to Smackdown, only to jump again now.

Dames

Benoit was drafted to Smackdown, returned to Raw with some weird loophole that allowed him to beat up Austin, but after Austin left, he jumped to Smackdown, only to jump again now.

I don't think they even bothered with loopholes back then. Wasn't it just everyone jumped back and forth whenever they wanted (i.e. UnAmericans and Jericho to Raw, Benoit and Guerrero to Smackdown) until Vince froze the contracts in about October 2002?

Jason

Guest Goodear

I got the impression that HHH had him mezmorized and dreaming about the gold - to which the cold sound of "reality" snapped him out of it. Benoits gaze and how he was basically like a cobra to hhh's snake charmer certainly would add to that.

I never got the that impression. I got the impression that Benoit was watching the belt because its the whole reason he has any interaction with HHH. Its the whole reason that Benoit cares about the match at Wrestlemania. HHH saying that he won't ever get it snapped him back to Hunter for the first 'oh hell no' head shake. I have to admit I'm a lot more positive than some people, but to be all OMG BENIT WAS QUAKING seems extremely odd to me.

HBK said that him vs. Hunter is more than any contract. HHH said that the contract represented Benoits vindication. HBK ended up signing the contract and Benoit did *nothing* about it. Reaching? For what, they're giving it to us on a platter.

Thats a different issue than Benoit saying 'yeah, you and HHH have history... deal with it on your own time'. The whole thing to Benoit is winning the belt. Vindication and the Michaels feud don't mean dick to Benoit... belt, belt, belt.

"What are you going to do about this!" - Benoit. If they wanted to position Benoit on the offensive he would be attacking HBK in the backstage. Instead, he was walking "away" (as opposed to Foley who was walking "to" Orton, given the camera positioning).

'Get away from me.' Where do you think Benoit was going? Why do you think Eric was after him? Why would Eric give half a crap if Benoiut was leaving the building? Chris' match was done for the night. Why are all of Benoit's fans trying to turn everything that happens into 'Benoit is a pussy' when you can easily go the other direction without having to invent things like Chris shaking in his booties and crying like a scared bitch?

What section was it in? Under what ruling? The Details make it believable. No details, just on their words alone - I don't buy it. It's as simple as reading the contract on-air.

SECTION? Who cares what section? "Well Paul Heyman, according to subsection six paragraph four, I can go. Here's a copy." It is a waste of time to reads that when everyone in the company is telling you its true.

The Week after Benoit was on RAW they should have had a video documenting his struggle rather than just saying "He's been doing this for a while".

They haven't even run a WMXX add yet with a specific detail about the matches. The moment they do and the moment it doesn't put over the quest for the belt for Benoit, the gripe has meaning. Right now, they're trying to sell the PPV thats on Sunday.

Benoit plays second fiddle and isn't strong enough to stop Shawn and can't get in his way. The guy who went over an hour and past 29 other guys couldn't stop one and got KO'd by one kick. All Michaels had to do was land one kick to get his shot at mania. I know, it's horrible.

He got sucker kicked after a 10 minute match by the guy who's kick has been put over as DEATH by everyone for the last year! The kick that put down... oh ... EVERYONE. What the hell, he should lstand there and smile? WTF! I'm sure if he put Michaels in the crossface and Michaels stood right up afterwards you would be so pissed your eyes would be yellow, don't hand me this 'it was just a kick.'

Getting upstaged by HBK, HHH, and Austin in the first segment and they never followed up or focused on the last segment.

WTF! Upstaged because he couldn't hang on the microphone maybe. But the situation was set for Benoit to look good since HE'S the one that made the surprise apearance and stepped into the middle of the Micheals/HHH feud.

And then looked on with a know-it-all grin.

He's THE BAD GUY! Jesus. This is not the 'Chris Benoit is all powerful and eevryone must sell that he is DEATH and SCARY and every other character be damned' show. Triple H should be wary of Benoit which he is, he shouldn't be scared.

After getting beat up by a glorified jobber. His "first match on RAW" was unimpressive and did not nearly display the skills that he has. Not to mention that Henry sold the crossface horribly so the "injury" from that move isn't believable.

The glorified jobber that is what the 4th highest heel on the brand behind HHH, Orton and Kane? The match was 'unimpressive' because Henry was working with a seperated shoulder in the first place and could hardly use his right arm. It's not a question of 'selling' when your shoulder actually IS screwed up.

As did Rico. Beating Flair means nothing. Especially when he's clueless in the ring and THE FANS SEE IT.

And Flair would be the 5th or 6th highest heel on the brand! He can't face Triple H right away... or Orton ... or Kane and not get messed up with their angles which would 'overshadow' his.

So I guess Chris Benoit is just not worth the effort to confront in person. I guess his jump doesn't really matter to Paul Heyman. Chris Benoit, not a big loss to Smackdown. Just makes him seem so darn important, doesn't it?

Heyman addressed it already. 'SCREW CHRIS BENOIT!' Tah dah! Heyman moved on because what the hell else is he going to do? Things were being taken care of there setting up the Goldberg-Lesner thing and having Heymen just showing up and getting in Benoit's face serves no purpose. Whats the heel Heyman to say? 'Oh I HATE YOU!' 'So?' 'I just wanted you know how much it hurt my feelings.'

Guest Mosaicv2

wat I thought of the contract signin... like I said before... it sucked... it was just frickin borin

I never got the that impression. I got the impression that Benoit was watching the belt because its the whole reason he has any interaction with HHH. Its the whole reason that Benoit cares about the match at Wrestlemania. HHH saying that he won't ever get it snapped him back to Hunter for the first 'oh hell no' head shake.

HHH was completely manipulating Benoit, leading him around while he was telling his story. That's the impression which was made. You could tell it from how HHH was telling the story, trying to get Benoit to feel what winning is like only to bring him to grips with "reality". Benoit's reactions weren't "Fuck that, I'm going to kick your ass", they were trying to keep up with HHH's words. Very passive.

I have to admit I'm a lot more positive than some people, but to be all OMG BENIT WAS QUAKING seems extremely odd to me.

I don't even know what that means. My problem is Benoit just standing there and doing nothing. As if he couldn't do anything - this is a theme that was reenforced with HBK and again with Bischoff.

Thats a different issue than Benoit saying 'yeah, you and HHH have history... deal with it on your own time'.

And HBK saying "No, your time is below me. Your time is now my time" and Benoit laying down for him doesn't make Benoit look bad. RIGHT.

The whole thing to Benoit is winning the belt. Vindication and the Michaels feud don't mean dick to Benoit... belt, belt, belt.

So HHH basically going word-for-word with what Benoit said pre-rumble 02 about making his sacrifices mean something is just.... ???

'Get away from me.' Where do you think Benoit was going? Why do you think Eric was after him? Why would Eric give half a crap if Benoiut was leaving the building?

Because Bischoff is the GM. He wanted to make sure that the #1 ME contender at Mania was ok and wouldn't hold it against him (since he DID make up the contract). Where do I think Benoit was going? He wanted to be left alone, "Get away from me". If Benoit was going "after" Michaels, then the camera would have been *following* him *towards* Michaels like they did with Foley.

Chris' match was done for the night. Why are all of Benoit's fans trying to turn everything that happens into 'Benoit is a pussy' when you can easily go the other direction without having to invent things like Chris shaking in his booties and crying like a scared bitch?

I never said either. I said they're making him look like a bitch because he's laying down for everyone. He isn't taking charge. This isn't indicative of a main event face. HBK took charge. HHH took charge. Hell, BISCHOFF took charge. Benoit lets everyone talk, never cuts them off, never attacks them, he extends his hand out to shawn, he just whines to bischoff, stays down after getting hit, lets Austin introduce him, says only a few words after HBK and HHH go on and on and on. Benoit looks WEAK. Benoit looks BAD.

SECTION? Who cares what section? "Well Paul Heyman, according to subsection six paragraph four, I can go. Here's a copy." It is a waste of time to reads that when everyone in the company is telling you its true.

Show don't tell. C'mon Goodear, you should know it's more effective that way.

They haven't even run a WMXX add yet with a specific detail about the matches. The moment they do and the moment it doesn't put over the quest for the belt for Benoit, the gripe has meaning. Right now, they're trying to sell the PPV thats on Sunday.

The moment Benoit won the RR they were selling him as #1 contender. It's like the Jericho/Shawn feud from last year. Had they shown the clip Jericho wrestling like the Rockers style HBK at the beginning then everything they did afterwards, from Jericho entering the RR at #1 to hitting the Superkick at Mania, would have made more sense. Why wait until the last minute? So people can look back and say "oooh, NOW I get it" ?? It's ridiculous. They have 5 SHOWS now left till mania and thus far its been only words. It's time to give those words meaning. Show don't tell. As far as my gripes having meaning, gee, when its all said and done and I'm right, I have this feeling that people will still say that to me.

He got sucker kicked after a 10 minute match

With a 50+ year old man who was visibly lacking

by the guy who's kick has been put over as DEATH by everyone for the last year! The kick that put down... oh ... EVERYONE.

I know! It even knocked out coach!!!! In, actually, quite the same manner. It's good to know the Coach and Benoit have similar pain thresholds.

What the hell, he should lstand there and smile? WTF!

He shouldn't have stood there like a dolt in the first place.

I'm sure if he put Michaels in the crossface and Michaels stood right up afterwards you would be so pissed your eyes would be yellow, don't hand me this 'it was just a kick.'

Well, Michaels *would* stand up right afterwards, given his track record. It was just a kick. One kick. KO'd Benoit. He wasn't strong enough to get up, not quick enough to block it. There's nothing "special" about him which could make him unlike The Coach.

WTF! Upstaged because he couldn't hang on the microphone maybe. But the situation was set for Benoit to look good since HE'S the one that made the surprise apearance and stepped into the middle of the Micheals/HHH feud.

HHH came out and said his piece. HBK came on and said his. Austin came out and said his. Right here, we have 2 of the top faces on RAW already coming out and getting their big pops and the #1 heel there as well. Each of them had time to talk as long as they wanted. Benoit just couldn't come out on his own, he had to be set up by not only Austin but HBK and HHH as well. He just can't take charge. And then he just says "I want to be the best!" and looks each of them down and that's it. No real follow-up, it wasn't even the main focus of the show (Foley), it's just "there". Do you think The Rock would have done that? Austin? HHH? HBK? Anyone other than a midcarder? Benoit wasn't put in a position of power, he didn't lead the show, he just merely "complicated" HHH and HBK.

He's THE BAD GUY! Jesus. This is not the 'Chris Benoit is all powerful and eevryone must sell that he is DEATH and SCARY and every other character be damned' show. Triple H should be wary of Benoit which he is, he shouldn't be scared.

It's funny cause what you just said is completely irrelevant to the point I am making. My point is that they have made Benoit look bad (which they have). They have made him look weak. They have not put him in a position of power. Somehow, this translates into "the 'Chris Benoit is all powerful and eevryone must sell that he is DEATH and SCARY and every other character be damned' show".

The glorified jobber that is what the 4th highest heel on the brand behind HHH, Orton and Kane?

Yep. That same guy who got beat up by Goldberg. You make "4th biggest heel" sound like it means something. Mark Henry isn't regarded in the high ranks on RAW. He doesn't and never has had a show focused around him. He is not important.

The match was 'unimpressive' because Henry was working with a seperated shoulder in the first place and could hardly use his right arm. It's not a question of 'selling' when your shoulder actually IS screwed up.

Ok, still doesn't stop the (un)believability that the crossface seperated his shoulder when the shoulder barely moved.

And Flair would be the 5th or 6th highest heel on the brand!

OH MY GOD! THE SIXTH YOU SAY! Why, that's amazing!!! Benoit beat the 4th AND 6th highest heels on the brand! Why, he's unstoppappappable!! Next he'll move up to the pop corn vendors~! Flair being a 50 year old man and half of the tag champs *a worthless mid card title* inwhich he is the weaker half.

He can't face Triple H right away... or Orton ... or Kane and not get messed up with their angles which would 'overshadow' his.

That's right, Chris Benoit #1 contender and WM 20 Main Eventer can't take priority over two WM mid carders. Gee Golly, he sure is important. Beating all these worthless guys and not good enough to take out the "big players", and then getting put down by the REAL stars of the show in HHH and HBK. No, they don't make Benoit look bad at all. He's beating 50 year olds and fat asses! He's a SUPERSTAR-ER-AR!!

Heyman addressed it already. 'SCREW CHRIS BENOIT!' Tah dah!

C'mon Goodear, as long as you help prove my point you don't have to point it out as if it's some miraculous discovery. Chris Benoit is not worth Heymans time. Real special guy there, that Chris Benoit.

Heyman moved on because what the hell else is he going to do? Things were being taken care of there setting up the Goldberg-Lesner thing and having Heymen just showing up and getting in Benoit's face serves no purpose. Whats the heel Heyman to say? 'Oh I HATE YOU!' 'So?' 'I just wanted you know how much it hurt my feelings.'

Yep, at least it makes it seem like Benoit is important, rather than ignoring him like he did. That Heyman, hurt and bruised up, would take the time out to personally get face to face with the guy who left Smackdown... doesn't make Benoit look bad, unlike everything else on the show.

After the NFL draft in April, I'm gonna start following the first pick around, and when he's about to sign his contract, I'm gonna give him some sweet chin music and sign the contract and collect all of his money.

Guest Choken One

Often times, In situations like this...I think of two marks having a convo about it...as if one mark was telling another mark what happened

Mark #1: U see Raw last night man?

Mark #2: Nah, Man I was playing D&D!

Mark #1: Awesome Man!

Mark #2: So what happened? Any tit slips man! MAN that jackie is HOOOT!

Mark #1: Hells ya! Actually, no tits though

Mark #2: Aw fuck that!

Mark #1: Yeah, I mean they had that one Benwha guy and the old man that follows Triple H around...they like chopped each other and crap forever...it was SOOO boring, I mean Shane/Kane was SO fucking hardcore and this shit was so boring, anyways, the benwha guy won with that facepull thing...and then Triple H came out and talked for like 20 minutes and told how the other guy never wins anything and chokes alot...and then HBK CAME OUT!!!

Mark #2: AWESOME!

Mark #1: I know, the other guy started talking was sooo boring until Shawn talked and said HE was wrestling for the title at WM

Mark #2: THANK GOD!

Mark #1: Yea, then Shawn kicked the other guy down and signed the contract!

Mark #2: So that means HBK/HHH at Mania?

Mark #1: Yep

Mark #2: COCK ROCK BABY!

So...I guess this didn't work in benwha's favor.

Guest Deebo

You guys keep talking about how this whole thing makes Benoit look weak to the fans. My question is, WHAT FANS? I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

When HHH was cutting the promo on Benoit, the crowd booed.

When Michaels told Benoit his feud with HHH was more important than Benoit's dream, the crowd gave a lukewarm reaction.

When Benoit told Michaels that he would be facing HHH at Wrestlemania XX, and not Michaels, the crowd cheered.

When Michaels superkicked Benoit and signed the contract, the crowd booed.

Why? They like Benoit. If they would have cheered, then you could say stuff like.."Oh well, the crowd realized that Benoit is inferior to HBK and HHH and is never going to win the title, we might as well cheer for the other guy".

I would dare say 95% of people at RAW or watching on TV didn't see it as Benoit being weak at all. Now you have the heel HHH, tweener HBK, babyface Benoit. HBK-HHH's long feud continues with a twist because Benoit has been inserted by winning the Royal Rumble. Now HBK has to battle HHH for the title, and Benoit to keep him away from "his" title shot. Benoit is chasing HHH and his dream of winning the title, but also trying to stop HBK from getting in the way of his dream. However, because Benoit professed his respect for HBK, and HBK still superkicked him, that keeps Benoit elevated as the babyface in the entire thing and the man the fans will get behind.

Just stop reading too much into it. I know that's what us smarks like to do, but I guarentee you the majority of the viewing public doesn't see it the same way.

Two things: Why would Paul Heyman, in storyline terms, care about Benoit leaving SD? If anyting Paul should be happy that Benoit left cause Paul did what he was going to do. He kept Benoit from Brock's title and Benoit never got another shot so Benoit left SD like a coward. Paul should be happy and rub it and Benoit's face.

Two, did you notice that HBK said that Benoit should have finished his business oh SD. I had a feeling HBK was bringing up the fact that Benoit never did get the job done against Brock and made him look like a coward.

Guest Deebo

The only impression I got was that Benoit should have went after Brocks title and not HHH's, because he(HBK) already had something going on with HHH.

Eli Manning better watch his back. Because when he's not looking *WHAM!* I hit him in the back of the head with a chair and sign my NFL contract.

I'm so dreading this HBK/Benoit match next week. I can see it now........Benoit will get a pop....Shawn will get a mixed reaction....Shawn will get pissy that he lost his pops and do as many flashy moves as possible meanwhile no selling everything Benoit does. Benoit will look like a bitch and the crowd will slowly start to turn to HBK until they're all chanting his name at which case he'll kip up after 10-germans in a row and superkick Benoit to hell. I know it's going to happen.

This is stupid. A mark would never question any of this, and the product is for the marks, not some whiny smark who looks at every detail to prove that his beloved wrestler is being presented as being weak. If you think a mark would be like "OH MAN, HBK SURE AS HELL IS THE MAN, HE HIT BENOIT WITH A SUCKER KICK AND SIGNED A CONTRACT THAT WASN'T HIS" then your dead wrong. A mark would talk about how pissed Benoit is. How he defeated Henry and Flair in consecutive weeks, and how if he can take on 29 other men, he can definately take on HBK and HHH. I mean, atleast let this progress, if you have Benoit never taking a hit, you know he's going to lose the match at WrestleMania for sure, so just wait. BTW, I told you guys HBK is a sore loser.

This is stupid. A mark would never question any of this, and the product is for the marks, not some whiny smark who looks at every detail to prove that his beloved wrestler is being presented as being weak. If you think a mark would be like "OH MAN, HBK SURE AS HELL IS THE MAN, HE HIT BENOIT WITH A SUCKER KICK AND SIGNED A CONTRACT THAT WASN'T HIS" then your dead wrong. A mark would talk about how pissed Benoit is. How he defeated Henry and Flair in consecutive weeks, and how if he can take on 29 other men, he can definately take on HBK and HHH. I mean, atleast let this progress, if you have Benoit never taking a hit, you know he's going to lose the match at WrestleMania for sure, so just wait. BTW, I told you guys HBK is a sore loser.

Isn't this the kind of shit we're supposed to be preventing with the new mods?

You guys keep talking about how this whole thing makes Benoit look weak to the fans. My question is, WHAT FANS? I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

I never said looking weak to the fans. I said looking weak. Period. And he did and is. It will all add up in the end, guaranteed. Benoit needs to look strong for his title run to be successful. Shit like this, playing second fiddle to HBK/HHH, it will KILL his run.

I don't care what the fans see, because I simply don't know how they see it. You don't either. Different people have different experiences. All I can judge is what they put on screen. And they are putting on SHIT that is making Benoit look bad.

Two things: Why would Paul Heyman, in storyline terms, care about Benoit leaving SD? If anyting Paul should be happy that Benoit left cause Paul did what he was going to do. He kept Benoit from Brock's title and Benoit never got another shot so Benoit left SD like a coward. Paul should be happy and rub it and Benoit's face.

Heyman got reamed out for letting Benoit go by Vince.

So after this supposed "huge move" from Smackdown to RAW and Smackdown's GM doesn't care about it enough to confront the guy involved?

Again why should he? Benoit was after Brocks title and Heyman did everything he did to keep Benoit from it and Heyman won. If anything Heyman should just rub it in Benoit's face.

So after this supposed "huge move" from Smackdown to RAW and Smackdown's GM doesn't care about it enough to confront the guy involved?

Again why should he? Benoit was after Brocks title and Heyman did everything he did to keep Benoit from it and Heyman won. If anything Heyman just rub it in Benoit's face.

But then.....why would Heyman be so angry the night after the Rumble upon learning that Benoit has jumped to Raw?

Either he's happy that Benoit won't be wrestling Brock, or he's angry that he just lost the Royal Rumble winner to Raw.

He can't be both - well, unless proper explanation for his emotions was revealed to the fans. And that's taboo in WWE.

This is stupid. A mark would never question any of this, and the product is for the marks, not some whiny smark who looks at every detail to prove that his beloved wrestler is being presented as being weak.

NEWSFLASH: MARKS AREN'T FOUR YEARS OLD. I know LOTS of casual fans at school, and lots of them were questioning why Benoit gave up and went to Raw. A lot of them harbor HHHate because HHH won't go away. A lot of them hated Shane/Kane because of how dumb it was. I'm getting really tired of "you look too far into details, marks don't" as a response to making giant logic leaps.

And that's suppose to prove anything? I know marks who think Benoit is the man for going after HHH's belt because they think the belt is bigger and more valuable. And do you know why? Because HHH is holding it. I could care less what the marks in your school do. I'm talking in general, and judging from the crowd reaction HBK got after superkicking Benoit, it seems that they didn't agree with HBK's actions either.