TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

The Dames' Diatribe on WWE Raw 2/9/04

It was not a good show at all, and the Benoit/Flair match shows that Flair needs to retire now.

I actually liked the HHH promo (politics aside), though knowing that the Kliq still has influence disturbs me. HBK made Benoit look weak.

Guest Mosaicv2

agree Dames... as I said in the RAW thread... last nites show was so lacklust... the contract signin segment BORED the hell out of me... & yes... the Clique are politcally bound... & all I have to say about that is son of a BITCH!!

All they had to do was have HHH jump Benoit from behind during the Benoit/HBK confrontation. HHH and Benoit can brawl up the ramp as HBK shrugs and signs the contract. Upon seeing this, Benoit gets hot while HHH leaves with a big grin on his face. Just as Benoit enters the ring, have HBK casually leave and powerwalk up the ramp leaving Benoit pissed off. HBK would still come off with the better end w/o Benoit looking inferior.

Sorry . . . great review as always.

I thought this was another quality read, a very good review. But, I disagree with your opinion. I thought it was the best wrestling Ive seen on tv in over 2 years(not a really difficult thing to accomplish; and I havent really watched much since 00). And I gave Flair-Benoit ***1/4. Two stars for a 'solid match', thats kinda my basic grade for that, another 1/2 each to the heat/crowd and the time/tv quality/clean finish, and a bonus 1/4 star for Flairs bloody chest. Just my opnions though, and I certainly respect yours....good job, and good luck with all the shit thatll keep you from doing this for awhile.

Might as well ask...

... Who's recapping RAW from now on?

And I didn't like the opening segment. Too much "stuff" going on. You have Vince come out. You have Heyman come out. You have Goldberg attacking Heyman/Vince. You have Goldberg attacking Austin. Each thing could have taken it's own segment. I'm all for efficient use of time, but was Vince really necessary? Or Goldberg spearing Austin? (I guess they're hoping Goldberg signs the post-mania contract?). The "I can live with that" was so bad. "Are you going to attack me?" "If I attack you, then you will know it" "well, thank you for answering my question"... blargh!

The womens mat skills are horrible. Maybe I've been spoiled by MMA, but that's not how you work a freaking keylock! Molly barely grasped the double wrist lock. C'mon! You work under Fit Finlay! WORK THE HOLDS!!!!!!!!!!!! The mat session was too quick, very ecw-ish. I groaned when Jericho missed the enziguri and then slapped my forehead when he did it again. Face Jericho is too worried about moving fast than moving well.

Not enough people are hard on Flair here. He botched so much stuff in that match. The hardest thing I hear about him from the recappers (not just you Dames) is that "he's a step behind". If this was Hogan, I'd bet you'd hear hell from everyone, but since it's Flair he gets a free pass. The guy shouldn't be wrestling, period. JR hyping Benoit up after that was sooooo annoying. JR presenting this as "something you'd show your grandkids" was a perfect example of the Flair blinders.

Mark Jindrak and Garrison Cade make their return to Raw in a backstage segment…reading the Torrie/Sable issue of Playboy. They’re approached by Stacy Keibler and Jackie Gayda, who aren’t happy about being passed up by Playboy. They don’t plan on taking this one “lying down”. I can’t take any more of this terrible acting. Earn those paychecks, people. EARN IT. I wish I got a tenth of what those guys made a night just for spouting out unconvincing lines about crap no one cares about.

Couldn't agree more.

Why do people keep talking about Flairs bloody chest? Seriously, in almost EVERY recap I have heard on the match, in all the thoughts, that one thing gets presented above all the botched moves and pathetic work. A bloody chest?! Nevermind the insulting number of chops they did in that match in place of actual work, FLAIR'S CHEST WAS BLOODY!! ********!!!!

Another awesome diatribe, Dames, although I disagree with Benoit/Flair being *3/4 (I thought it was ***1/4), but I agree with most everything else and enjoyed reading it. Yay. :)

I thought the match was awful, just like I thought the Flair-Shawn from MSG handheld was awful. Flair has nothing left, and I wish he'd just quit. Of course, I've been saying this for years.

Why do people keep talking about Flairs bloody chest? Seriously, in almost EVERY recap I have heard on the match, in all the thoughts, that one thing gets presented above all the botched moves and pathetic work. A bloody chest?! Nevermind the insulting number of chops they did in that match in place of actual work, FLAIR'S CHEST WAS BLOODY!! ********!!!!

I gave the match one 1/4* as a bonus for Flairs chest, thats not too extravagant. I explained why I gave it ***1/4...if its bad because its not what you thought, or because it wasnt Royce Gracie vs. Bruce Lee in his prime, Im sorry. Its my opinion and I explained it.

Guest Anglesault

Not to start an Orton thing, but you really should have mentioned that after all that work, he was back to the usual no reaction by the ME.

I gave the match one 1/4* as a bonus for Flairs chest, thats not too extravagant.

I wasn't just referring to you, but 1/4* for a chest is ridiculous. I'd minus 1/4* for the excessive chopping, if anything.

I explained why I gave it ***1/4...

*cough*

if its bad because its not what you thought,

It was exactly what I thought.

or because it wasnt Royce Gracie vs. Bruce Lee in his prime, Im sorry.

*looks around*

*tries to find anyone who "gets" that so they can explain it*

Its my opinion and I explained it.

Yes... You did...

And I gave Flair-Benoit ***1/4. Two stars for a 'solid match',

Between Flair being blown up and Flair being confused, where was the solid match? Was it in the suplexes?? It had to be, that's the only thing they didn't screw up (despite their business exposing nature)

thats kinda my basic grade for that, another 1/2 each to the heat/crowd

So you're giving 1/2* to _the crowd_? Then the openning promo segment was what, ***?

and the time/tv quality/clean finish,

I suppose clean finishes should get a 1/2* provided that every match should end that way... "way to not overbook it! Here's a cookie"... rewarding them for not "screwing up", my-oh-my. That's like giving Timmy a dollar cause he didn't wet the bed.

and a bonus 1/4 star for Flairs bloody chest.

Yes, Flair's deteriorated body and his and Benoits pointless chopfest gets bonus stars...*cough*

I did not like the *Flair* match. I don't fault Benoit with any of that (well, 90% of it) because he was working with Flair. He couldn't lead the match because Flair is too old and can't keep up. He let Flair lead, gave Flair openings, had to adapt to Flair's here-there-and-everywhere style and Flair couldn't deliver on any of it. I only fault Benoit for not working "smarter" and taking command and working around Flair, but instead, he went to the chopfest to keep the crowd interested. He bumped well for the punches, tried to put over the figure four as much as possible, and protected Flair on a lot of the big suplexes (which was the only 'substance' in the match). He gave Flair way too much offense (which may or may not be Benoits fault, given the booking) and had too much faith in the nature boy.

that's the only thing they didn't screw up (despite their business exposing nature)

the business was exposed a long time ago ;)

yea, RRR, we have differing opinions on this match. Im sure neither of us will agree. And, just so you know, I watched the match as a total mark.

Question - Will you be watching HBK-Benoit next week? I expect a lame swerve...

Yes, I actually am looking forward (match wise, given that I hate HBK) to that. HBK will be able to keep up with Benoit and they should be able to do some fun stuff. Hopefully it won't be "me time" for Shawn. I am expecting something like HHH comes in and sledgehammers Michaels and pedigrees Benoit and puts Michaels on top of Benoit. Something to leave "open" for Benoit at Mania so Shawn can weasel his way in and Benoit be accepting of that.

Even watching it "as a mark" how can you not see them goofing up on the sleeper spot, the bridge spot, the corner/ropes whip spot, and all the chopping? They blew more spots than womens matches for crying out loud.

Even watching it "as a mark" how can you not see them goofing up on the sleeper spot, the bridge spot, the corner/ropes whip spot, and all the chopping? They blew more spots than womens matches for crying out loud.

Flair is my favorite wrestler of all time, and his been since I started really getting into wrestling in like '92. Chris Benoit is by far my favorite worker of the past few years and right now. Im sure this had some bearing on my opinion of the match.

To me, its like if the Smashing Pumpkins and Alice in Chains(my two favorite broken bands) played a show together and forgot a few lyrics, missed a few notes, or played a lil offkey....it would still be the best concert Ive ever seen.

make any sense?

No, cause your mixing your personal emotions in with an objective statement.

I have no problem with you liking the match and thinking it was fun to watch - saying it's ***1/4 with a "solid base" is another thing altogether.

And your comparison is a bit off. The "best concert" would have had them forgetting entire songs, they missed the majority of notes, and they kept playing the same song over-and-over-and-over-and-over again.

(raises hand for Raw substitute if none has been found yet)

Because that worked so well last time, Spoon! ;)

Dames had been asking me to do Raw while he was unable to, but I have no idea if that's officially the plan or not right now.

It was nice to read that someone actually agreed withg my asssesment of last night's Raw. Remember, The WWE put on a string of Lackluster Shows leading up to WM last year and the result was a shitty buyrate. You think someone would learn by now. Then again....

Guest Goodear

I totally have to agree with Rudo here about the Benoit/Flair match. Ric's stamina is gone completely to the point he shouldn't be in the ring EVER much less in anything more than a tag team situation. The sad thing is he has to carry the bulk of the time for him and Batista because Dave's so raw and due to the 'dropping the hammer' nature of the team where everyone is supposed to go 'oh shit' whenever Batista gets in the ring. Anyway, thats a bit off topic.

Ric can't even really run the ropes effectively anymore and is even more formula then he's always been. How many times a match is he going to grab a headlock in order to set up the shoulderblock spot? Flair's done folks. DONE. The mistake Benoit made in that match was not pulling Ric to the canvas and letting the old man breathe again... but quite frankly, that shouldn't be something Benoit has to do for a however many minute match that was.