TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k thx

Anti-French Sentiment In C.E.

From the official TSM rules:

1. Blatant racism, bigotry and sexism are not allowed and are grounds for an automatic ban.

I don't go to Current Events often, but whenever I do, I seem to come across some sort of anti-French sentiment, about them being cowards, scared, etc. For example, this from everyones favourite liberal, Cancer Marney, in the "A good reason to own guns in the home" thread:

Usually It's the One with the Gun Who Gets to Ask the Questions

You know who is the best public? The American public, that's who. According to this poll, most know that more gun control isn't a solution to stopping a sniper. Also, despite the media's constant attempt to make the NRA look worse than the nazis, the NRA still has a higher approval than disapproval rating. I doubt any other country is as pro-gun as America, and I bet they'd get vastly different polling results.

American Polltaker: I wish to ask you some questions about guns.

Frenchman: Ahh! Guns! Do not hurt me, American! Paris is yours!

American: No, I just wanted you to answer a poll about guns.

Frenchman: Well, I hate guns, you stupid American. I'm not some thuggish cowboy wanting to shoot at everything. We French are much more sophisticated. For instance... Ahh! An insect! Save me, American!

American: It's just a butterfly.

Frenchman: Quick, kill it with your gun! It is your duty, American!

American: It flew off.

Frenchman: Once again my non-violent diplomacy triumphs!

Yes, it's a joke. Yes it's fairly harmless. But it's also tedious, brought up even when not on topic and is, in my view, racist.

So, can we crack down on this? I'm not calling for bannings, or even for it to not be discussed, but when it's brought up in so many threads, it's time to lay it to rest.

But it's the French.

If it was any other nation or religion or race in their place, it would be considered prejudiced. IMHO, thats racism.

Like I say, I've got no major problem with stereotyping, but the anti-French sentiment has got out of hand.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Well considering the French constantly do things to bring this on themselves I don't see a problem with it. It's no worse than a few people's conspiracy theory crap or the anti-Christian stuff.

Well considering the French constantly do things to bring this on themselves I don't see a problem with it. It's no worse than a few people's conspiracy theory crap or the anti-Christian stuff.

How do the French bring it on themselves?

And conspiricy theories and the anti-Christian stuff isn't brought up with glee at every possible opportunity.

But it's the French.

If it was any other nation or religion or race in their place, it would be considered prejudiced. IMHO, thats racism.

And I still don't see how Americas spirit would die. Maybe the arrogance would decrease, but some would argue thet's not a bad thing.

Guest OnlyMe
The French are not a race, so no it's not racism. But it's certainly annoying and stupid.

Dictionary.com

A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

But it's the French.

And I still don't see how Americas spirit would die. Maybe the arrogance would decrease, but some would argue thet's not a bad thing.

Heh heh heh.

In my defence, that post was a direct response to a point that Americas spirit is in part defined by gun control, and my response was relevant to that. More than that, many pepole would argue that America is arrogant. I wouldn't, but many people consider the gun culture of America is endemic of everything they dislike about the country. But that's a discussion best kept in CE.

On the other hand, the post quoted in my first post had no apparent reason other than to take annother cheap dig at a (untrue) stereotype of the French.

Christ on a cracker.

It's poking fun at people, based on years and years of recorded history, and an admitted stereotype that still has its basis in actual experiences. Are we that bloody PC that we can't make fun of cheese-eating surrender monkeys without someone raising a fuss about it?

Christ on a cracker.

It's poking fun at people, based on years and years of recorded history, and an admitted stereotype that still has its basis in actual experiences. Are we that bloody PC that we can't make fun of cheese-eating surrender monkeys without someone raising a fuss about it?

When it's posted completely out of context with the thread in order to poke fun at annother race, then yes. Especially when it's against the rules, and especially when it's fucking annoying.

It isn't racism, but it is discrimination against a certain culture, which has become lewd, monotonous, and downright stupid. It's almost as if people do not have time on their hands, and all they can think of is another new way to verbally bash France and its people. What's funny is that people keep on reiterating France's submission to the Nazi German army, yet if it was not for France's assistance in the battle of Yorktown, the British most likely would've won, after chasing the revolutionists for so long. However, I do not want to start another debate about it.

Guest FrigidSoul
Christ on a cracker.

Chave is still trying to solidify his heel status. The sad thing is Austin had a more succesful heel turn during the Invasion angle.

I don't care for the French jokes only because the material that I've seen brought up in the past couple months isn't nearly as witty or funny as some might believe it to be.

Other than that, unless someone says "All French people should be erradicated" and is being deadly serious about it, then I see nothing wrong with the French comments/jokes that have been put into question.

I don't care for the French jokes only because the material that I've seen brought up in the past couple months isn't nearly as witty or funny as some might believe it to be.

I disagree with you, Sass. I thought the joke I quoted was pretty darn funny.

I disagree with you, Sass. I thought the joke I quoted was pretty darn funny.

Eh.

After watching 4 hours of Dave Chappelle's show on tape this morning, maybe I'm just burned out on all things funny.

The Real World: Black People skit is one of the funniest skits I have ever seen.

Edited by Sass

Guest FrigidSoul
The Real World: Black People skit is one of the funniest skits I have ever seen.

Real World: Black People Skit < Blind Black man who is a Grand Wizard in the KKK skit

Real World: Black People Skit < Blind Black man who is a Grand Wizard in the KKK skit

Those two skits own hard.

I love the ending line about why Clayton divorced his wife.

Guest Salacious Crumb

And I also don't see how you can be complaining about the French stuff when you have unger in there spouting crap in every thread he enters. I mean he needs a disclaimer about the damage he does to brain cells more than anything.

And I also don't see how you can be complaining about the French stuff when you have unger in there

Difference is, Chave agrees more with that criminal's anti-American sentiments than he does with law-abiding citizens of the United States who want to preserve their constitutional rights. Hypocrites don't need to be consistent.

Whose Room Is it Anyway? (0106)

Peggy: So, what are you gonna spend your refund on?

Marcy: Well we were thinking about taking a romantic trip to Paris.

Peggy: Oh, I've always wanted to go to Paris.

Al: Oh yeah Paris - where they hate Americans... where they won't let our bombers fly overhead, oh yeah, until they get invaded, and then they come crawling back, beret in hand, for us to bail 'em out - with "my" tax dollars! That's where your going??

Steve: No, no... we just said that... you know... to kid you. We hate the French.

Al: You know what I would do if I had a few extra bucks?

Marcy: Bomb the French?

Al: No, no, I was talking about a 'little' extra money.

Whose Room Is it Anyway? (0106) again

Al: "Oh, sure, our rights are not important? Anything a woman says is fine with us? Gee, when did men become such losers? It used to be so great to be a man. Women were there to please us. They'd look after the kids and we'd go out and have a good time. That's the natural order of things. What happened, Steve? I'll tell you what happened, Steve. Somebody told women they should start enjoying sex, too. That was the beginning of the end. Now they like it but it's work for us. Everything's work for us. It's this equallity thing, it's killing us. You know who I blame?"

Steve: "The French?"

[ Al nods his agreement ]

Johnny Be Gone (0113)

[ Al reads a an assembly manual ]

Al: "Ah! Here it is, er, Attention vous avez... Oh hell! More people we should have killed!"

[ He comes across another French instruction ]

Al: "Oh, my friends the French again".

Fair Exchange (0406)

Al: "A toast to the French. It's a foul little country but they sure do know how to write a check."

Look Who's Barking (0513)

[ Al is on the phone, trying to find the German chef Hans ]

Al: Listen, you French moron! We saved your cowardly wine soaked behinds in the war! In all the wars!! Every stinkin' war you've ever been in. Now you tell me where you're hiding Hans, before I... Hello!?!

[ He hangs up ]

They really are rude to Americans!

A Man's Castle (0515)

Al: ... running like a Frenchman from a cap gun.

All Night Security Dude (0516)

Spare Tire Dixon to Al: "I dropped you like third period French."

Looking for a Desk in All the Wrong Places (0605)

Al, to Jefferson: "She's got you running like a Frenchman in a thunderstorm."

The Mystery of Skull Island (0614)

News anchor: "Until further information is uncovered, scientists will continue to sift through the giant hole that was until yesterday the Republic of France."

England Show, Part 1 (0624)

Al at Speakers Corner: "Am I alone in hating the French?"

Crowd: "No!"

Al: "I thought not."

England Show, Part 2 (0625)

[ A family screams at the Bundy's and runs away ]

Peggy: "We're only Americans. Why'd they run?"

Al: "They must be French. It takes so little."

England Show, Part 3 (0626)

Upper-Unctonian: "We're not barbarians. We're not the French."

The Chicago Wine Party (0707)

A reporter about riots against a beer tax increase: As if they need to be told, all Frenchmen should stay in hiding.

Death of a Shoe Salesman (0710)

[ Al decides to take a spot to be buried next to Fuzzy McGee ]

Undertaker: Let me know if you DON'T want it. I hear Fuzzy is a big in France, I believed they called him "Le Grand Fuzz".

The Old Insurance Dodge (0724)

Peggy: Listen, Honey, I'm having a little trouble with the insurance company. Did you know that the French claim that the real Mona Lisa is theirs, just like we did?

Al: You know, it's a dark day when someone will believe the French over me!.

The Proposition (0726)

Kelly: "Mom, when you say 'we,' I hope you mean 'oui,' as in French for 'Hell yes we'll sell daddy and collaborate with the Germans.' Ergo, which is French for 'Yes take our country but please let us live to make our creamy sauces,' I say we take the $500,000 and bid daddy adieu, which is French for 'A deer,' 'A female deer.'

Legend of Ironhead Haynes (0821)

Al's voice booms out over the mountains: Don't eat the croissant!"

Legend of Ironhead Haynes (0821)

Commandment #2: It's wrong to be French.

Driving Mr. Boondy (0902)

Bud, to German Heidi: "Pretend like my pants are France and invade me!"

Business Sucks, Part 1 (0905)

Kelly: Some warbreaks out in some country I can't even pronounce.

Bud: That could be France!

Kelly: I said "country".

How Bleen Was My Kelly (1005)

[ Peggy tries to find someone who makes less money than a shoe salesman. ]

Bud: Check "French deodorant salesman."

Dud Bowl II (1009)

TV News Reader: Hundreds of organisations are claiming credit for the bombing of the Al Bundy Scoreboard, including The National Organisation of Women, The National Organisation of Fat Women and The Government of France.

The Agony and the Extra C (1019)

Peg: Al, I'm in Paris. Everyone here is just so rude and smelly. I'm thinking about you all the time.

T*R*A*S*H (1114)

Al: Well family, I'm off to fight the forces of evil.

Peggy: Mmm, that's nice dear.

Al: Hey! Will someone pay attention here, they're having me go out to fight horrible people - probably the French! You may never see me again!

Breaking up Is Easy to Do, Part 1 (1116)

Peggy: Why won't you go to therapy!?

Al: Maybe it's 'you' who don't know 'me'! Because If you knew me, Peg, you would know there are certain things I do not do:

I do not floss, I do not eat vegetables, I do not like French Pastry, I do not like the French...

Damn Bundys (1120)

[ Al is playing "hang-man" with Napoleon in Hell. ]

Napoleon: Could it be the letter "P"?

Al, laughing: Hang-man, I win! It's "French fries" you idiot! You're not too smart, are you Nap?

[ Nap puts his hand in his coat, then Al puts his hand in his pants. ]

Neutral Statements about the French

Thinnergy (0102)

Al watches a French chef on TV.

Kelly Bounces Back (0506)

The show is about the new Allanté.

I Want My Psycho Dad, Part 1 (0913)

Kelly: Oh well, like they say in France, 'comme ci, comme di.'

Breaking up Is Easy to Do, Part 2 (1117)

[ Bruce is subtly commenting on Pegs awful cooking ]

Bruce: Oh no, that was wonderful, it's just that... I hate to see you slaving away in the kitchen. From now on we eat 'out'.

Peggy: Ooooh! Can we go to one of those fancy French places?

Bruce: Oh, my Darling, if this year and 'Yugo Palooza' sale goes as well as I expect, I'll be taking you to dine in Paris. Ever made love in the Eiffel Tower?

Peggy: Ah, well, no... but once, I frenched a guy in the Sears Tower!