TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

The Darkness

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've only heard the single, and it's one of worst things I've ever heard. What's everyone's hard-on with this shit? Seriously. This was gay as hell back when people thought it was cool. Do these guys still exist in 1987 somehow? I can't even see how it functions as pop music. Is it supposed to be retro-cool? Why The Darkness?

Guest frowned

Loved this band for a while now (saw one of their smaller gigs - about 20 people, and they rocked the big one), my love however grew when somebody pointed out how fantastic the lyrics are. Check out "Growing On Me" - it's about frigging genital warts.

And their cover of Street Spirit... beautiful.

Just found this thread.

Im a huuugggee! Darkness fan. If you've ovly heard the one single, then i recommend you listen to the complete album. Theres not a bad track on there. Brilliantly written and funny as hell.

If you take them for what they are, and have a sense of humour, it fails me how anyone can not like The Darkness. Yes they're gimmicky but they have the cacthy well written music to back them up.

They're huge in the UK right now as well. They owned the Brit awards this year, picking up no less than three awards.

The Darkness well and truely own!

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The Darkness is the biggest embarrassment in music today. Absolutely, positively shitty. May they suffer a brutally harsh death...in the music business atleast.

Like all great pop music, the more you hear it, the more the songs get stuck in your head. I don't own the album, but I could quite happily sing along to six of the songs off of it.

The Darkness is the biggest embarrassment in music today. Absolutely, positively shitty. May they suffer a brutally harsh death...in the music business atleast.

How is The Darkness an embarrasment in today's music, while today's music is bad enough as is.

The Darkness are pretty light-hearted in their music, and playin what rock and roll should be not some kind of "emo/punk/nu-metal" garbage.

As are Charlie from Busted's eyebrows.

I think you are getting "Good shit" mixed up with "Huge"!

:D :D :D

Best thing about Charlie from Busted- everytime he tries to look intense or serious, he looks like a retard (see sig). The eyebrows don't help.

The Darkness is the biggest embarrassment in music today.  Absolutely, positively shitty.  May they suffer a brutally harsh death...in the music business atleast.

How is The Darkness an embarrasment in today's music, while today's music is bad enough as is.

The Darkness are pretty light-hearted in their music, and playin what rock and roll should be not some kind of "emo/punk/nu-metal" garbage.

A rip off of a spoof fan is the ultimate bottom for anyone. Spinal Tap was making fun of bands Darkness is trying to also satirize. I'd rather listen to Britney Spears and Beyonce. Seriously.

The Darkness is the biggest embarrassment in music today.  Absolutely, positively shitty.  May they suffer a brutally harsh death...in the music business atleast.

A rip off of a spoof fan is the ultimate bottom for anyone. Spinal Tap was making fun of bands Darkness is trying to also satirize. I'd rather listen to Britney Spears and Beyonce. Seriously.

A ripoff to Spinal Tap?

Its more of the influence on Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Ozzy, Journey, and Motley Crue molded into one.

I don't get it....everyone claims to hate hairbands, but then these guys come along, and when they do it, it's cool, somehow.

I personally think Hair bands at its most saturized moment was better than whats out now.

I think the massive love - outside of a catchy single - is because they're not much of a hairband. No, I really mean that.

I mean, sure, there are the 2 power ballads and what-not. But I feel much deeper connections to AC/DC and Zeppelin than Poison, and songs like "Black Shuck," "Givin Up," and "Friday Night" would sound ridiculously out of place on, say, a Nelson record.

I agree with Chave here - beneath everything, these are really good, funny pop songs. Someone earlier drew an analogy to Queen and I think it's a pretty good. They're obviously not on that level, but despite the ridiculous theatrics and conscious exaggeration, they're still writing and playing good music. I can't wait to see them live.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

When I first heard the song start, I was laughing hysterically at the vocals, then they just ceased to be amusing to me, and I was left with the album Ratt never made.

Yeah...it's pretty bad when a power metal fan thinks the vocals are ridiculous.

And no, I'm not talking about Agent, as I see how it could be interpreted that way. I think they're silly, and too high to listen to.

A ripoff to Spinal Tap?

Its more of the influence on Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Ozzy, Journey, and Motley Crue molded into one.

If anyone ever compares the Darkness to Led Zeppelin, I shall beat them senseless. All 3 of the musicians in Zeppelin were one of the best at their respective instrument. The Darkness is totally fueled by a joke of a leader singer who prances around like Freddie Mercury. I can't see how anyone takes these guys seriously. And all of their videos, and even just the bands act, reeks of Spinal Tap. Its a joke. No one sees that video and takes them seriously. They laugh, or in my case, shake their head at the weak attempt of humour. Led Zeppelin didn't have to work a gimmick to make their music appeal to the masses.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

A ripoff to Spinal Tap?

The Darkness are Maiden, Queen, and Spinal Tap rolled into one.

May their next album be filled with occult references so I can add Sabbath to that.

If anyone ever compares the Darkness to Led Zeppelin, I shall beat them senseless. All 3 of the musicians in Zeppelin were one of the best at their respective instrument. The Darkness is totally fueled by a joke of a leader singer who prances around like Freddie Mercury. I can't see how anyone takes these guys seriously. And all of their videos, and even just the bands act, reeks of Spinal Tap. Its a joke. No one sees that video and takes them seriously. They laugh, or in my case, shake their head at the weak attempt of humour. Led Zeppelin didn't have to work a gimmick to make their music appeal to the masses.

I can not agree that Jimmy Page is consider a great guitarist, not too mention a good guitarist either, but thats not debatable at this moment.

You can tell that The Darkness is sounding a lot like Led Zeppelin and Queen instead of Spinal Tap. How both bands riffs are structured in the songs, the solo's, the lyrics, the timing, it sounds a lot like Zeppelin.

Okay so Justin voice isn't appealing to many fans, and just because it sounds like you didn't like when high pitch singing was at its peak in the 80's doesn't mean it sounds bad.

Cheesy Videos? Obviously, but look what else is out there. Britney Spears, Toxic, thats pure cheese right there. Its just the Darkness is making something that its not cool, reminding everybody this was it back in the day. What do you want them to wear? Jeans, band name t-shirt? Do they want to sing about dating girls, break ups and stoner rock anthems, that basically almost every other band is doing right now?

NO.

The darkness is making everything in music that its so dull and negative in the music world and shining a light to it.

Are the greatest thing since the Beatles? No, and no one will ever be.

Are they the hottest group right now? Yes, can't deny that.

Have we seen any other bands trying to catch on to this fad? No, and thank god.

If anything the Darkness gets enough credit as they deserve. They put on a great live show, definitly a band that won't fade away in a few years, and with its current gimmick, it's appealing, to most people.

There is tons of musical talent in this group, and compairing them to Spinal Tap is like saying Limp Bizkit and Megadeth. We know which band has talent and not. The Hawkins brothers uses their guitars, and uses some clever riffs and solo's than 90% of bands today.

Guest Rob Edwards

Well I hate the bastards but then I'm probably pushed beyond my genuine dislike for them by the silly overhype that they're something more than a silly novelty band that people won't remember in two years.

I mean seriously what exactly are they doing that Queen wern't doing 200 times better 20 years ago. They just rely on rock cliches to try and get a reaction that people like Muse get without needing to resort to the shit they do

and it really sucks that they're the UK band getting all the attention when Franz Ferdinand, Muse and The Libertines exist

Guest Rob Edwards
Best thing about Charlie from Busted- everytime he tries to look intense or serious, he looks like a retard (see sig). The eyebrows don't help.

Anytime any Busted member tries to pull a face they look retarded bless them! Theyre still better than Good Charlotte!

Anyone else catch them perform Teenage Kicks on CD:UK and NOT butcher it? I was actually quite proud of them!!

Anytime any Busted member tries to pull a face they look retarded bless them! Theyre still better than Good Charlotte!

Anyone else catch them perform Teenage Kicks on CD:UK and NOT butcher it? I was actually quite proud of them!!

Aw bless you. I was going to say something about how awful Muse, Franz Ferdinand and the Libertines before you said that, but how could I do that after that praise for Busted :D