TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shaved Bear

All time favorite pc game

Guest Shaved Bear

Mine is Starcraft with the Expansion, 4 or 5 years later and i still play, you guys?

Guest The Man in Blak

X-Com: UFO Defense / X-Com: Terror From The Deep

I list them both because they're essentially the same game.  But at any rate, both of them basically flattened the turn-based squad strategy game and UFO is charted as one of the best games of all time.  Such an excellent, addicting, horrifying, game that has just about damn near everything in it, other than literally jumping into the soldier's boots and shooting the aliens yourself.

Guest Bruin

Just doing this in Genre's because I honestly can't pick an all time favorite..

FPS - Half-Life. I fully know that it's been cliched. Yet every single time I replay throught he single player, I ALWAYS enjoy it.

RPG - Deus Ex. This was a real hard choice, as I was completely addicted to Diablo II for a long time. But speaking as to just how free-forming Deus Ex is, It easily wins. This is another game that I always enjoy playing.

Strategy - Starcraft. I always liked this game for some reason. It's just a lot of fun  to play :b

Multiplayer - Tribes II. This was another toss-up. I used to play Team Fortress Classic and Quake 2 religiously. I still play them on and off, but in sheer fun, I have to go with Tribes II. Nothing quite is as satisfying as either bombing the enemy base, or hitting people with a Shriek while they're flying up to land ontop of their base via their jetpacks.

Simulation - Black & White. Though the town micromangment is a complete pain in the ass at times, playing as a god with a gigantic creature with remarkable AI is truly fun.

Guest areacode212

We should have a SmarkBoard Starcraft tourney one day (I would get killed though).

EDIT: my faves (these change all the time)

Turn-based Strategy - Heroes of Might & Magic II & Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (tie). I've elaborated on the awesomeness of SMAC both here and at the ezboard, so I won't go into it now (maybe I'll find my old post and copy & paste later). Heroes II was a LOT of fun and was extremely addicting. The storybook-style graphics added a certain charm & style that you don't find in too many of today's games, where "realism" and coolness reign over all. It may not have as many features as its successors, but was every bit as fun and didn't feel quite as bloated as Heroes 3.

FPS - Hmm. Tough one. Quake II, Half-Life, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Doom I/II (tie). Yeah, I know I'm being really indecisive tonight. I'm tired, sue me. The Dooms started it all, and are still extremely playable today. Try playing it with the lights out. Quake II had great mods. Jedi Knight had huge, expansive levels, the very cool lightsaber, force powers, decent multiplayer. Half-Life, of course, is Half-Life.

Real-Time Strategy - Starcraft, Age of Empires II. I have to finish this stupid web site design, so I'll explain my choices later.

RPG - Fallout

Hack & Slash RPG - Diablo II

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Civilisation 2. I still play that game constantly. In fact I'm playing it right now....

Guest areacode212

If you like Civ II, I think you guys would love SMAC. ($10 at a bargain bin near you!)

Guest The Notorious CRD

I have a few faves, most of them new games unfortunately.  I'm primarily a console gamer but lately have found myself playing a lot of PC games.  Here are some of my faves (in no particular order):

Half Life

Diablo II

Max Payne

Freedom Force

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Doom.

Sure, I have played much better games because of better engines etc., but Doom was by far the first game that really made an impact on me and led to my addiction to first person shooters. I literally spent a year playing Doom, either co-op or by myself (as well as making my own maps). The atmosphere was amazing. Hell, I even grabbed the re-release that came out last year that allows you to play in Windows.

Guest Bruin

Hey Chud, have you by chance played DoomGL, or ZDoom? Same Doom, uses OpenGL, has graphics compareable to Q2, everything is quite smooth, and more important than anything. MOUSE LOOK~!! :-D Lots O' Fun IMO.

Guest areacode212

Yeah, you could have saved yourself $20 by grabbing a copy of ZDoom and copying your Doom WAD files into the zdoom directory.

http://zdoom.notgod.com

And yes, the mouselook is very nice. So is the transparency, enhanced graphics, Unreal Tournament-style deathmatch messages, etc. I haven't tried DoomGL yet, though.

I didn't mind spending the $ for the Doom re-release, but I'll check out the ZDoom. Sounds really interesting!

Guest Bruin

ZDoom and DoomGL are pretty much the same thing from what I've played. Just that DoomGL seemed to run a tad bit smoother on my old Voodoo4 card than ZDoom. Eitherway, they're both lots of fun.

For strategy, Starcraft: Brood Wars take the cake but at a close second, Age of Empires II: Age of Kings.

In FPSing Alien Vs. Predator is my fav, haven't played the sequel but if it's anything like the first then that would be first.

Online playability goes to Unreal Tournament, I never get tired of that voice, FIRST BLOOD, DOUBLE KILL, MULTI-KILL, KILLING SPREE!

Guest Cataclysm911

Well, I recently got Jedi Knight II and that is enjoyable. The only game that I ever play is Counterstrike though. I'm in a competitive clan, so we practice everyday. We will be attending the upcoming CPL.

http://www.thecpl.com

Guest areacode212

I can't wait to get JK II. Since it uses the Quake III engine, hopefully it will last longer on people's hard drives, since dedicated servers can now be created, and it'll be easier to create mods. Some of the problems with the original Jedi Knight was that it was only playable via The Zone, or through listen servers, which were hard to find, unless you used a certain GameSpy-like program. Did GameSpy ever get around to supporting Jedi Knight?

BTW, if anyone decides to try out ZDoom, install the 1.22 release (found on the Download page), then install one of the newer 1.23 betas (found on the News page). The latest is b33, but I have problems multiplaying with it--b28 should be good enough. The 1.22 release comes with useful readme files, not to mention a nifty Q2-style railgun mod (it replaces the plasma rifle).

Also, the various Dooms (Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom) can be obtain via file-sharing, and if you copy the .WAD files from those games into your ZDoom directory, you should be good to go.

Guest Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

The Police Quest series fucking ruled it...

On the first computer i ever had like 8 years ago i played that and Space Quest so much. Those old Sierra titles were big fun.

Guest swan

The first game I got was that damn SimCity game. God I wasted many hours that I will never get back. Why it was so damn addicting I don't know, but it had to of been the crack of the pc gaming world when it came out.

Guest KoR Fungus

SubSpace, the best game ever until Twister and horrible user zones ruined it.  SubSpace during beta testing was by far the most fun I've ever had with a videogame.  Alas, VIE fucked up the release horribly, stopped supporting the game a year later and it's never really recovered.  Cosmic Rift is a decent enough replacement for now, but the player base is too damn small.  Everyone start playing it!  cosmicrift.station.sony.com

My favorite computer game the average person has heard of is probably Doom.  It was beautiful in its simplicity.  More modern FPS games have all these neat bells and whistles, but none that I've played have ever matched Doom in terms of basic stuff, like level design.  And it had *great* music!