TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

El Brocko Dance~!

I'll admit, that had me rolling, and I'm at college watching that. Especially when he came out of the Smackdown entrance and starting dancing and the entrance way. But, in the tradition of smarkness, it's stupid that he's poking fun at Eddy's heritage. Eddy's trying to realize a dream and Brock could care less (that's fine, however don't have a mariachi band out every Smackdown).

But, in the tradition of smarkness, it's stupid that he's poking fun at Eddy's heritage. Eddy's trying to realize a dream and Brock could care less (that's fine, however don't have a mariachi band out every Smackdown).

Why would there be?

That's GOLD, Jerry! GOLD!

And honestly, it works within the confines of the storyline... Eddie Guerrero is extremely serious about this whole thing, talking about exorcising personal demons and realizing a dream, while Lesnar has been poking fun at him and not taking this upcoming match seriously at all... Perfect setup for Eddie to upstage Lesnar on Sunday.

Guest Loss

Unlike HHH/Booker, will this racism shown by the heel champ actually result in him dropping the title?

Time will tell.

Unlike HHH/Booker, will this racism shown by the heel champ actually result in him dropping the title?

Time will tell.

Well, it will definitely be a little more sour if Eddy doesn't get the upset, I'll concede that.

I understand the HHH/Booker comparisons, but I really think they're unfounded. With Triple H telling Booker to "dance" with little or no sense of irony in his voice, there's really no humor involved and the actual brunt of the comment is the racism. That's unacceptable.

In this case, however, you've got to consider the source: a giant, dancing idiot with a sombrero. The fact that he's gone so far over the top to make fun of Eddy should immediately imply that the comments aren't to be taken seriously.

I mean, look at Chapelle's Show. It isn't the fact that he's being "racist" that's funny, it's that he's warping the stereotypes of both black and white people to the point where it's absolutely absurd. He's a comedian - Dave Chapelle is not to be taken seriously.

And neither is this.

Guest Loss

Understood, I just worry that skits like this are going to alienate the growing Latino audience by constantly making fun of their culture. Jokes about Mexican food, sombrerros and such aren't even really funny at this point.

But stereotyping the French is acceptable?

I really hope everyone (Latinos included) takes this for what it was: a heel skit made to further a feud with a Latino face. Brock is a heel, heels are supposed to do and say thing that get them hated and the face is supposed to run in, kick his ass and save the day. It's a simple, effective formula.

Don't be so PC, something like this is no different than people making jokes on TV or in movies, it's all in the name of fun. It's being done to make Brock look lik an asshole, and to get all of the fans behind Eddy in his quest to kick Brock's ass.

It's going to work also.

I'm against it not because I'm all PC and against jokes like this, that's all fair game as far as I'm concerned. I'm against it because it in no way makes Brock look like the "monster" that we have been led to believe that he is. It makes him look like a joke, a moron, and even less of a threat.

They need to decide on how they want Brock to be presented once and for all. Either the moron who does and says stupid shit as we see every so offten, or the insane monster who cares about nothing but hurting those who gets in his way, and to hold on to that title for dear life.

I just don't like when they let "monsters" do stuff like this, it's just retarded to me, even if it IS funny.

If anyone looks at the skit and goes "Oh my God they are making fun of a race, Brock Lesnar and WWE is nothing but racists, and I refuse to watch the product again" then more power to them, it just weeds out the morons who can't take a joke and comprehend that this is just an angle, meant to promote a feud and to be entertainment.

Guest Loss

Not true at all. If Lesnar's opponent was Booker T and he was out there with a bunch of breakdancers eating fried chicken and watermelon, people would be having a fit.

This is the same thing, only it's more socially acceptable to make fun of Latino heritage than black heritage.

Not true at all. If Lesnar's opponent was Booker T and he was out there with a bunch of breakdancers eating fried chicken and watermelon, people would be having a fit.

This is the same thing, only it's more socially acceptable to make fun of Latino heritage than black heritage.

What exactly isn't true at all? I don't know what you are saying isn't true.

WWE has pulled out shots of just about every culture, from whites to black to mexican to asian and whatever the hell else. It's just entertainment, and it's nothing to get worked up over, I don't care who they pull shots against.

They've never done anything to the point where I would even should even be even the least bit pissed off (that I can remember off of the top of my head), in terms of racial stuff.

The wrestling industry is an entire industry of sterotypes of one form or another for the most part. It takes culture, people, and everything else and it takes them to the EXTREME.

It's been like that for God knows how long.

Guest Anglesault
But stereotyping the French is acceptable?

There's a difference between making fun of a culture and making fun of country's constant ability to embarrass itself.

Guest Loss
The wrestling industry is an entire industry of sterotypes of one form or another for the most part. It takes culture, people, and everything else and it takes them to the EXTREME.

It's been like that for God knows how long.

Yes, wrestling has been like that forever, and it's one of the main reasons that the business is seen as a low-brow form of entertainment that panders to the lowest common denominator and has a stupid, white trash fanbase.

I've wanted the bar raised for a long time now. We're in 2004 and Latinos are the fastest-growing minority in the US. You'd think WWE would not make fun of their culture.

Just because they've always done it doesn't excuse it.

Yes, wrestling has been like that forever, and it's one of the main reasons that the business is seen as a low-brow form of entertainment that panders to the lowest common denominator and has a stupid, white trash fanbase.

I've wanted the bar raised for a long time now. We're in 2004 and Latinos are the fastest-growing minority in the US. You'd think WWE would not make fun of their culture.

Just because they've always done it doesn't excuse it.

The industry in the US is as it is, it's never going to change in the mainstream.

The industry will never get respect, so just foget that right now. You'll never see wrestling in the USA booked as a respectfull "sport". It may be different around other places, but it will not be like that here, not in terms of a big group like WWE.

If groups can't take a joke with this stuff, then they might as well just get over it, and not watch it. I don't bitch when they make southern people look like morons, and I see no reason why anyone would bitch over stuff like this.

It's entertainment, it's TV, it's like a film, people need to comprehend that before they go insane with calling racisim.

Guest Loss

Yes, Brock looked like a moron and should not be doing skits like this.

And wrestling would have a much larger audience if they didn't exclude minorities like they sometimes do.

We live in sensitive times; it's up to WWE to adapt and be culturally aware enough to be as appealing as possible.

Yes, Brock looked like a moron and should not be doing skits like this.

And wrestling would have a much larger audience if they didn't exclude minorities like they sometimes do.

We live in sensitive times; it's up to WWE to adapt and be culturally aware enough to be as appealing as possible.

I might be the only one, but I don't want my forms of entertainment to cave into groups and be scared to do anything in terms of making jokes about people, and actually having stereotypes.

I don't know what's wrong with the world, but everyone takes everything way to seriously as far as I'm concerned.

Again, I don't think they exclude anyone. In WWE land, everyone and everything is fair game, they pull no punches. Like I said, people need to understand it's entertainment and not get their panties in a wad.

Guest PowerPB13

You know, if you don't like to be offended, professional wrestling in general is PROBABLY not the best thing for you to be watching.

-Patrick

Forget the racial crap, as far as I'm concerned the big story here is the idea that Brock looks like a moron, not a monster.

Well thank YOU for controlling the direction of the thread, El Prezidente!

:rolleyes:

I think it's kind of funny but it's very counterproductive. With the Mysterio song/video, the Eddie title shot, and the placement of this show in San Francisco, Vince is obviously targeting the fact that Eddie is very popular along the California coast where Latino numbers are very high. Good enough, though a little transparent in the marketing, right?

I don't have a problem with the hats and the mariachi music, though I think we're starting to go overboard about how the band "swam a long way to be here tonight." I mean, I have an Irish heritage, and I have no problem with the drunken Irish guy stereotype.

It's just when you move it beyond "hee hee, these people like this kind of music/food/sport/whatever" and change it to "hee hee, a group of these people do something that embarasses the whole", such as in this case, coming in illegally, you offend the paying customer.

It's kind of like if I said, "Heh, this Downhome guy's a wrestling fan. He's probably some easily impressed redneck with a Southern drawl." It's kind of funny, because there's a large group of wrestling fans like that. But then if I emphasize one of the worst traits of that group and say "Heh, this Downhome guy's a wrestling fan. He probably fucks his female cousin." Well, you'd be a lot more offended.

I hope this isn't going TOO off-topic, which I know is a problem in the WWE folder as of late, but considering we're talking about how wrestling presents these subjects in addition to their status as social taboos, I don't think we're TOO in the wrong.

That's GOLD, Jerry! GOLD!

And honestly, it works within the confines of the storyline... Eddie Guerrero is extremely serious about this whole thing, talking about exorcising personal demons and realizing a dream, while Lesnar has been poking fun at him and not taking this upcoming match seriously at all... Perfect setup for Eddie to upstage Lesnar on Sunday.

Wow, it's like Jake Roberts vs. Jerry Lawler...except...not.

Forget the racial crap, as far as I'm concerned the big story here is the idea that Brock looks like a moron, not a monster.

Well thank YOU for controlling the direction of the thread, El Prezidente!

:rolleyes:

Do you always have a problem, or is that just your personality? I was just making about point about which I thought was more important to WWE.

See, another example of someone getting their panties in a wad. ;)