TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Repo Man Reborn

Putting people over

Guest Repo Man Reborn

"I am going to get Randy Orton and Batista over or die trying."

- Triple H in some interview a while back

So let's see what he's done:

- Formed a Four Horsemen like group and included the two of them in it.

- Fed them some of his enhancement talent (RVD, Booker T)

- Repeatedly slapped their chests during backstage vignettes while doling out praise

This is the correct way to get someone over?

How Foley does it:

- Sells like crazy

- Allows humiliation of himself

- Trades victories to build the feud

- Eventually does the job

How the Rock does it:

- Promos making both people look entertaining or strong

- Sells like crazy

- Allows beatdowns to build the feud

- Eventually does the job

I know this is not earth-shattering news, I was just thinking about it on the drive to work..........

You forgot one item under Triple H's criteria: Have a match where he makes it look like they are about to win, and then the trusty sledgehammer comes out, and if that doesn't work, the pedigree will do them in, but they will have gotten over by looking unstoppable during the match~!

Guest Repo Man Reborn

When was the last time HHH made someone not named Shawn Michaels look good in a match?

You forgot one item under Triple H's criteria: Have a match where he makes it look like they are about to win, and then the trusty sledgehammer comes out, and if that doesn't work, the pedigree will do them in, but they will have gotten over by looking unstoppable during the match~!

You left out a small detail.

It's "hit the pedigree, wait a FULL MINUTE, then pin them"

Guest Repo Man Reborn

Another way he puts people over is he waits until the Rock puts them over and then he gives them a title shot...................

Another way he puts people over is he waits until the Rock puts them over and then he gives them a title shot...................

Yeah and I think that is the main reason why Rock won't do a feud with John Cena. Because after Rock/Cena have good feud you just know afterwards Cena will be jobbing to HHH and I guess Rock is sick and tired of it.

When was the last time HHH made someone not named Shawn Michaels look good in a match?

Goldberg, it's one of the only things WWE did right all year.

Although everything that happened after it cancelled all of the good out, so it's almost like it didn't even happen.

Guest Stunt Granny

Don't forget The Undertaker's approach. Completely destroy them in the ring, but shake thier hand when it's all over.

Guest FrigidSoul

I still maintain the real reason why Orton isn't over is because they didn't build his character, they just took him back from an injury and threw him in with Levesque.

Batista while not a mega fan favorite gets reaction because he was slowly built on Smackdown. He started off as a bodyguard of sorts, then went through their jobbers before being sent to Raw.

Orton really hasn't done anything to deserve the position he's been put in and the fans don't buy him as a champ or a real threat.

Thus why the pure jobber is still needed today.

Orton really hasn't done anything to deserve the position he's been put in and the fans don't buy him as a champ or a real threat.

Bingo.

Smarmy RNN-era Randy Orton was a smark (and fan) favorite, but there's absolutely no credibility behind this "Legend Killer" schtick. So he pushed Foley down some stairs. His push is so transparent (much like Rocky Maivia's initial push) that the fans are rightfully puking it back up.

The scary part is about to come, though. I think the huge backlash will come if he goes over Foley at WM, methinks.

A lot of people confuse jobbing as putting someone over, when in reality, simply losing a match is not gonna do the new guy justice unless it is done right. When Foley put HHH over, he didn't just lose, but Foley and the announcers and the writers made it seem like Foley was god and that there was nothing Triple H could do to stand a chance against a hardcore legend. They had Foley throw everything at Triple H and even resort to become Cactus Jack again to bring out his "tough side" and Triple H still won every single time. Now compare that to the way Triple H does business and how he jobs. It seems whenever Triple H does job to someone, the following night on Raw, it is barely addressed by Triple H or even Jim Ross/Lawler, it is swiftly swept under the rug in order to setup the rematch in which nine times out of ten Triple H wins. Also look at Triple H's win over Booker T for a prime example of how to make your opponent look like shit. He pedigrees Booker T, rolls over, lays around for awhile, only to casually make a pin and STILL gets the 3-count. That was such a dick move and it no doubt hurt Booker T's credibility.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

FrigidSoul, I'd have to agree with you about the reason that Randy Orton is not over as much as he should be.

Of course, him being put in with Triple H, Ric Flair and Batista right away was how his 'mega-push' was distinguished.

I feel bad for Benoit. They bring him over from Smackdown just so he can join the long list of workers who deserved the title before they faced HHH, and are now mid card because HHH made them look so bad.

Maybe that's how HHH is going to get Orton and Batista over, make everyone else look bad.

Bingo.

Smarmy RNN-era Randy Orton was a smark (and fan) favorite, but there's absolutely no credibility behind this "Legend Killer" schtick. So he pushed Foley down some stairs. His push is so transparent (much like Rocky Maivia's initial push) that the fans are rightfully puking it back up.

The scary part is about to come, though. I think the huge backlash will come if he goes over Foley at WM, methinks.

As in, it will give him heat with the marks?

Right now, WHOOOO! FUCK YOU FOLEY! I would want to see Randy get rid of Foley at this point.

As in, I'm not even sure that, if Foley lays down for Orton, it will really solve anything. They gave Rocky Maivia the IC Title very quickly and the fans absolutely shat all over that...and Orton ain't exactly the Rock.

Foley indeed should job to Orton, but mark my words, it still won't be enough. Foley is only a shell of his former self, if even that. He is not regarded as high as he used to be, and just a simple jobbing will not do the trick. Now if they went all out balls to the wall the way Foley did for Triple H, then possibly it would work, but that would involve, an out of shape, retired, "regular guy" to work a SERIES of matches, and I don't really have a desire to see that. I mean this is all really no different then how Flair is not even effective anymore at putting someone over, sure he will job, but what good is that when all the crowd sees is someone beating a 50 year old broken down guy?

Foley indeed should job to Orton, but mark my words, it still won't be enough. Foley is only a shell of his former self, if even that. He is not regarded as high as he used to be, and just a simple jobbing will not do the trick.

Amen. I've said it before, it's pretty sad that the Raw roster has been so decimated that they actually had to pull some guy out of retirement to job to Orton. A guy that HHH already owns anyway.

I don't like Randy Ordinary, but if they're serious about getting him over, they should be jobbing Austin and the Undertaker to him. Imagine if Orton cost Taker his win at Wrestlemania as part of his legend killer gimmick (which didn't work, because he never actually killed any legends). It would make sense, and it would really piss people off.

It would also mean UT being very generous, so that's out.

I feel bad for Benoit. They bring him over from Smackdown just so he can join the long list of workers who deserved the title before they faced HHH, and are now mid card because HHH made them look so bad.

How is Benoit a mid-carder? He's in a Wrestlemania title feud.

Guest Repo Man Reborn
........but what good is that when all the crowd sees is someone beating a 50 year old broken down guy?

This is the entire foundation of pro wrestling.

YOU ONLY LOOK AS STRONG AS YOUR OPPONENT.

The good workers, (Hart, Angle, Benoit, Jericho, etc.) get this.

The Triple H logic says you only look good if everyone else looks bad.

And then you blame them for the business turning to crap.

Fear Havoc, a quick reply: The Big Show has been WWE Champion before, but I still consider him a mid-carder.

When Chris Benoit goes over at WrestleMania, he will be a bonified upper-carder.

How is Benoit a mid-carder? He's in a Wrestlemania title feud.

The logic behind my statement is that Benoit will join the likes of Booker T, RVD, Jericho, Kane, etc. Guys that had a rising star that was halted by HHH. I'm not saying he's mid-card now, but he's heading there. If it was up to me, HHH would be jobbing to Tommy Dreamer.

Guest Brian
You forgot one item under Triple H's criteria:  Have a match where he makes it look like they are about to win, and then the trusty sledgehammer comes out, and if that doesn't work, the pedigree will do them in, but they will have gotten over by looking unstoppable during the match~!

You left out a small detail.

It's "hit the pedigree, wait a FULL MINUTE, then pin them"

That Booker T match killed people live. Truly a WTF moment.

RavishingRickRudo, I was thinking about keeping Benoit in high-profile mid-card feuds, and guess what?

Consistancy is key.
... Or something like that, is what came to mind. Good work.

But think about it - Benoit has had feuds like that on SmackDown! - he's always been fucking in them in WWE - and now it is his time to step up to the plate and carry the ball.

And he can do it.

I am right with that last statement. If you disagree with me, then you are wrong.

Guest Repo Man Reborn

Clean job to a guy who kicked you in the face last week and then that guy gets pedigreed five seconds afterwards...........

HOLY CRAP DOES BENOIT LOOK STRONG FOR WRESTLEMANIA!

OTHER RAW NOTES

- Brock looks weird playing the cowardly heel to Goldberg

- I actually like where they are taking the Christian/Trish/Jericho storyline (albeit too All My Children-ish)

- I wanted Benoit to shoot and dig in on the sharpshooter

- I wanted Benoit to headbutt HBK at the opening face-off

- I wanted Benoit to appear that HE deserved the title shot a little bit more than someone who is on the downside of their career

- JR, "nipping up" is something the female cast members of Friends do before taping. "Kipping up" is what your beloved Boy Toy is doing.

- Triple H is better than Harely Race and Ric Flair plus infinity, we get it.

- And Randy Orton is a bastard because he is the 7,000th person to administer a beatdown to Mick Foley.

- God bless Victoria's buttcheeks