TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

bret vs austin

Guest Ray

Survivor Series. It's a smarter wrestling match. Wrestlemania has more heat and is memorable for the turn. Survivor Series is the better wrestling match.

damn...tough question...

Ill very shakilly pick WrestleMania 13...that could change by tomorrow and again by the next day though easilly.

Guest Askewniverse

Survivor Series. Like Ray said, it's a smarter and better wrestling match. They're both great matches, but I prefer a nice, clean wrestling match over a bloody brawl.

Survivor Series is the much better constructed and laid out match, featuring tons of smart work from Steven Austin, particulary the super hot finish where he tries something like five straight credible submissions over Hart. Austin also perhaps never did a better job in his whole career of filling his time with meaningful focused offense. Bret also brings some good revenage spots to the table, perfectly playing his role as the noble wrestler pushed to the breaking point by the upstart punk.

The Wreslemania match just doesn't hold up to the smart work of the SS match, and I just don't buy Austin claiming to not know any submissions when he busted a shitload of them out in their match just a few months earlier. Great storytelling and all, it's just the match itself is only good. Bret's brawling also isn't very good here, as he seemed kind of lost particurally in how he misses a couple of transition cues in the form of a boot to the gut.

The brawling portion of the SS match was better, plus it had the added bonus of being built too so that it came of as an explosion of mounting tension. Plus the revenage spots also added to the intensity, while the Wrestlemania match never really seemed to capture that type of hatred, even with the blood, brawling and use of weapons.

The match also sadly doesn't hold up to a couple of other WWF brawls, the more creative Foley/Micheals Mindgames match, and Rock/Austin Wrestlemania 17(which is the closest the WWF would ever come to All Japan's great single matches in terms of style). Neither of those can hold up to the SS match though, which is in a whole other league. It represents to peformers pushing the WWF style to it's limits, and beyond to produce one of the best singles matches this side of the ocean.

Both are *****, IMO, and some of my favorite matches ever. I guess I'd go with WM13 just a notch above, because of the great story it told, and the historical significance it has.

I like the WM match better. The main reason being the SS match had almost the exact same ending to the bret vs piper match when bret won the IC title. As soon as I saw Bret in the million dollar dream near the turnbuckle i knew he was gonna reverse it for the pin.

Depends on your taste, if you like a damn good technical wrestling match, then SSeries 96 it is. A nice bloody brawl, WM 13.

I liked SSeries better though because not only of the workrate, but also because of the story. The new guy Austin who thought he was all that trying to make a name for himself trying to defeat the veteran Hart. Austin was on a roll (His KOTR win jumpstarted this), it was Bret's return match (last time he wrestled before this match was WM 12), and it all happened at MSG. He didn't win, but Bret and Steve had great chemistry. Of course, WM 13 is what immortalized Stone Cold, but SSeries, in my mind, is what really paved the way to his future success.

Both are excellent, however the Survivor Series is probably the best match the WWE has ever had (with Austin/Rock WM 17 close behind) and probably the smartest. Very deep storytelling, not one spot was blown or didn't make sense in the match's context, and both Austin and Bret were in their top forms (especially Austin, arguably his best match in his career, Bret's too). Like Coffey said, there is some very smart work in the match, where Austin uses a lot of moves to target the chest/neck/upper back and then busts out 4-5 different submission holds towards the end out of desperation (since the Stunner didn't work). All around, I think it's one of the best North American matches of all time.

I like the WM match better. The main reason being the SS match had almost the exact same ending to the bret vs piper match when bret won the IC title. As soon as I saw Bret in the million dollar dream near the turnbuckle i knew he was gonna reverse it for the pin.

Story wise, though, it actually made a lot more sense here, with Austin hating Bret and not wanting to let go.

Point taken, though.