TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

Zelda

Guest wildpegasus

I just beat Zelda for the first time ever courtesy of the Gamecube Zelda package as it was a game I stupidly didn't play when I was younger. It was pretty good and now I understand why there were so much questions about this game in Nintendo Power. The actual challenge of it wasn't too bad but figuring out what to do was extreamly greasy. Zelda II I remember being a lot harder in the reflexes sense but at least stuff wasn't as greasy to figure out.

Anyone have comments on the first Zelda?

Guest EQ

I liked the original Zelda. Link to the Past was also really good. I think I'm one of the few people who actually likes Zelda II. People love to shit on that game for some reason.

There isn't a Zelda game that I don't like. I've played every one of them with the exception of the CD-i ones that got released a few years back (if you want to call those "things" games).

Guest Coffey

It's still one of the best games to ever grace a Nintendo. I didn't like Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link as much because it felts like they left their roots despite the fact that it was just the second title in the series.

Then came both The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the Super Nintendo and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for the Gameboy. Both were fabulous and played just like the original game.

As far as the 3D Zelda games go, I played through and enjoyed the Ocarina of Time...but Majora's Mask was terrible. At least I thought it was.

So, without the OG, I probably would've never played and experienced the other great hours of gaming the the following Zelda games provided. The original game was fun too. Back then, secrets like that, in that number, was a big deal. I remember going around and burning ever single bush just in case....

Guest wildpegasus
I liked the original Zelda. Link to the Past was also really good. I think I'm one of the few people who actually likes Zelda II. People love to shit on that game for some reason.

There isn't a Zelda game that I don't like. I've played every one of them with the exception of the CD-i ones that got released a few years back (if you want to call those "things" games).

I really liked Zelda II. In fact, it might be my favourite of the bunch. A great challenge to it. I really liked the fighting system and the bosses.

I really like the game. I started playing games in 1986, but I never owned any Zelda games until Ocarina of Time, which happens to be my all time favorite game. I strongly disliked Majora's Mask, for the record. Anyway, when I reacquired an NES a little over a year ago, Zelda was one of the games I received, but it was not in working condition even after a thourough cleaning. Thus, I was unable to experience its greatness.

Finally, on November 28th, 2003, I purchased a GameCube with the Zelda bonus disc. A few days later, once I was able to tear myself away from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, I played the original game on that disc. It's very easy, and I made it through the first 4 dungeons in a matter of hours. It is, however, incredibly fun.

Due to a combination of circvumstances- along with this weird thing that has happened to me over the past few years where, even when I absolutely love a game, I'll sometimes stop playing it for weeks at a time for no reason, with no urge at all to pop it into my console (which is happening with the amazing Viewtiful Joe now)- I haven't played it since. It also doesn't help that I've gotten 20 new games since then.

But back to the point, Zelda rules. It's not as good as OoT, and I can't compare it to Zelda 2 or the Game Boy and SNES versions, because I have barely played either. But Zelda is still a very good game that withstands the test of time.

Guest MikeSC

Why did Nintendo allow Phillips to bastardize Zelda with those debacles on their system, anyway?

They tend to be FAR more protective of their franchises than that.

-=Mike

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I loved the original Zelda, but it was of course a BITCH to figure out where to go next. Of course, once I got to the Dungeons they were easy as hell.

A Link to The Past is my favorite version still, although Ocarina of Time is good as well as the GBC releases.

Guest EQ

I guess I'm one of the few people who actually really liked Majora's Mask.

I've got that Zelda Collector's Disc, so I played through Majora's Mask all over again (I own the N64 version also) and I just loved the whole thing. Back when Wind Waker came out, I also got the OoT bonus disc that came with that game, and I played through OoT twice (once normally and then again on Master Quest). I think every Zelda game can stand the test of time and I don't think I'll ever get tired of them.

I'm playing through Zelda II now. It sucks. It's like a chore. I just want to beat it to get it over with so I can say I've finished it. I find the entire NES era to be quite lame actually. Too simple, too hard, poor save systems, look and sound terrible, weaksauce stories, there is nothing in these old games that appeal to me.

I'm playing through Zelda II now. It sucks. It's like a chore. I just want to beat it to get it over with so I can say I've finished it. I find the entire NES era to be quite lame actually. Too simple, too hard, poor save systems, look and sound terrible, weaksauce stories, there is nothing in these old games that appeal to me.

I take it you didn't start playing video games until at least the 16 bit era. I believe that the NES may have more quality games than any other system. Back in my day, all games were the way you described. Most were frustratingly challenging, had no save system, and if we needed help, we couldn't get online and read a FAQ- We had to call our friends for help, or if you were really lucky, you could call a 900 number. And you know what? We bloody well liked it that way! Take it like a man, dammit!

Oh... you're a girl... yeah. *Hands you flowers and candy*

DISCLAIMER: The above was a rant by a crusty 17 year gaming veteran and is in no way representative of the opinion(s) of the sane.

Guest EQ

This reminds me of a conversation I had with Dames once:

EQ: there are kids today that havent played the original shit and wouldn't like it if they did

Dames: we've become those older guys that say "when you were my age, we didn't have super moves... we didnt have 12 buttons on a controller... we had 2"

Do the old games have shitty graphics when compared to today's games? Yeah, I'll give it to you.

Does the sound generally suck? Yeah, although that is a matter of taste.

Are a lot of the games really fucking hard? Hell yes they are.

Are they still awesome today? Without a doubt, yes.

As someone who owns all the consoles out today and a good number of games for each, I'm still able to sit down with an old standby like Zelda or Super Mario Bros. and have tons of fun. That's what games were more about back then. Challenge and fun. They couldn't really showcase fancy graphics or sound like they do today (many times at the expense of good gameplay).

I take it you didn't start playing video games until at least the 16 bit era. I believe that the NES may have more quality games than any other system. Back in my day, all games were the way you described. Most were frustratingly challenging, had no save system, and if we needed help, we couldn't get online and read a FAQ- We had to call our friends for help, or if you were really lucky, you could call a 900 number. And you know what? We bloody well liked it that way!

Heheh, too true.

I remember finishing Faxanadu (very good platform rpg at the time) alongside my brother where halfway through the game we lost our passwords.

Damn I nearly cried with joy when I finished it.

I started playing games before the 16 bit era. The old stuff just sucks though. Gaming has gotten better and the old games are weak now. I want complex, cinematic, story driven games, not simple sidescrollers NES offers. Also, I hate challenge. It's frustrating and no fun to die over and over. Easy games are cool.

Guest EQ

No way! Trial and error is what makes games great, IMO. Playing a level to the point where you get so pissed off at the game that you want to break it only to pass the level just then. The relief you feel is great.

I recently experienced this with Rainbow Six 3 for XBOX.

If I wanted a complex, cinematic, story-driven event, I'd watch a damn movie (or play final fantasy or MGS).

Not that those aren't cool, but sitting around watching 10 minute cut-scenes gets boring to me.

Guest EQ

Yeah, that always annoys me when playing an RPG. You can't walk 2 inches on the screen without getting into 8 battles. I know that your characters would never level up otherwise, but it gets tedious.

Sure, easy games can be fun. For example, I enjoyed Yoshi's Story, and hell, a good portion of the Super Mario Bros. games are easy for anyone with gaming experience. I also like pretty cutscenes to a point, and love a good story. But most easy games and games loaded with cutscenes get very boring after a while.

What's the point of a game without challenge? If you're just looking for a good story, you'd be better served reading a book or watching a movie. Challenge is what gives a game replay value. What is there to anticipate when you already know you have a battle, level, or boss beaten beforehand?

There are few things better than the feeling one gets after a tense boss fight where you battle back and forth, barely clinging onto that last bit of life, before finally emerging victorious in the end. That is the time when a cutscene or story element is most welcome- when you feel like you've earned it- When it is a reward for a job well done.

Challenge is one of the main factors that makes a game good, in my opinion. Without challenge, one cannot better themselves or their skills. Without challenge, a victory is simply hollow and meaningless. That applies not only to videogames, but to most things in life in general.

If you find a game with the right balance of good gameplay and a level of difficulty that is just hard enough to make things interesting but not so high that it's cheap and frustrating, there's are few things finer in life. Final Fantasy X-2-Dressup-AmericanIdol-2003 is fine and dandy (and don't think I hate RPG's- I'm working on Chrono Cross and Skies of Arcadia currently), but I can only stand so much at a time. Hand me a copy of Contra, however, and you'll be lucky to tear me away from the controller without losing a limb (unless you come bearing women, booze, or a mixture of the two :P ).

Guest wildpegasus

From memory, this is tough. So prepare yourself.

You said you find the entire NES era to be lame. If you don't mind me asking, what games are you playing? Maybe we can find something that caters to your tastes. What do you think of the Atari 2600 and than the Commodore 64 era?

It depends on the game but I actually like the look of the NES and Super NES over a lot of the current games because they had more of an animeish look instead of polygons which I find are impersonal. Growing up in the Atari 2600 era I was more impressed with what the NES/SNES put on the screen than anything the newer systems have.

Too hard is a matter of personal choice. Personally, that's what makes the era great to me.

"Too simple" -- The one problem I have with some of today's games (Some do get it right though) is that you just can't pick them up and play. For example in Majora's Mask it took me forever just to get to the town and find that fairy hangout. Than it took me forever trying to find that place in town where the lost fairy is. Hours had gone by and I had gotten absolutely nowhere. I never did find that fairy and I have no desire to go back and do so. I couldn't even save. Back to the main point I don't really think the NES games were too simple. You had to develop stragety and technique to get through things especially when the challenge was hard.

Weaksauce stories -- I gotta think more about this one. I did like the stories of the era though. I know the SNES had some pretty good stories. Maybe someone can help me with the NES era. The one thing that was great about the NES was that you cherished every second of cinema stories you could lap up because you earned them. They meant more.

Guest EQ
For example in Majora's Mask it took me forever just to get to the town and find that fairy hangout. Than it took me forever trying to find that place in town where the lost fairy is. Hours had gone by and I had gotten absolutely nowhere. I never did find that fairy and I have no desire to go back and do so. I couldn't even save.

Wow... how anyone could get stuck there of all places in Majora's Mask is beyond me.

Guest wildpegasus
For example in Majora's Mask it took me forever just to get to the town and find that fairy hangout. Than it took me forever trying to find that place in town where the lost fairy is. Hours had gone by and I had gotten absolutely nowhere. I never did find that fairy and I have no desire to go back and do so. I couldn't even save.

Wow... how anyone could get stuck there of all places in Majora's Mask is beyond me.

It happened. I just couldn't find anything in that game. People do get stuck in weird places all the time. I bet everyone has at least a few stories that they can tell.

I started playing games before the 16 bit era. The old stuff just sucks though. Gaming has gotten better and the old games are weak now. I want complex, cinematic, story driven games, not simple sidescrollers NES offers.

Don't you like Mortal Kombat, one of the simplest fighting games ever?

Easy games are cool.

This is so sad it makes me want to cry. :(

Guest Coffey

I think I officially hate Sakura now. Prime example of the people I try to avoid when talking about videogames.

Zelda's great. It was the first adventure game I got into.

Zelda II was good, but I can at least understand why people didn't like it. It was radicaly different. Although I never beat it, I came soooo close but would get frustrated near the end.

And Link To The Past is just a classic. I think it's the very best of the series (haven't played Windwaker though). They did a great job moving it to the Super Nintendo.

Guest EQ

Wind Waker was OK, but it was the weakest game in the series. And it was WAAAAY too easy. (Right up Sakura's alley :P)