TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Markingout

Who do you guys think will be in the Super 8 04?

Guest Markingout

The 8th Annual Super 8 is almost here. The show itself with take place on April 3rd, 2004. My predictions on who will be in it are:

Sonjay Dutt: The man has just exploded onto the scene in 2003 winning junior heavyweight championships left, and right. He would seem like an obvious choice.

Jimmy Jacobs: Also seemed too be blowing up. He is very chrismatic and should have an awesome year.

Alex Shelly: Much like Jacobs he will have a great year and had a string of great matches this and last year. At only 20 he has great technical abilities.

Jerelle Clark: Jim always seem too pick a guy from Florida. He is a talk among the indies right now.

Honestly, I hope they mix in some good workers, because nobody wants to see a pure spotfest tourney. Guys like Danielson, Spanky, Styles, Daniels, etc...if available, should be included, at least to put over new guys, and have some decent matches.

They always tend to pick a bunch of guys who are relatively unknown on the indy scene, as well as a couple OVW'ers due to the Kevin Kelly connection, and one fairly "big" time name.

I can see Sonjay in there, as well as a couple Florida guys like Roderick Strong and maybe Jerelle Clark or Justice. Toss in a couple Special K'ers like Izzy/Insane Dragon and Hydro/Jay Lethal, and some more guys.

I honestly have no clue, though.

Chris Sabin will most likely get a second chance considering the breakout year '03 turned out to be for him. Sonjay Dutt will probably get his first chance, as should Deranged. B-Boy, C.M. Punk, Chris Hero, and Colt Cabana should also get their shot in the tournament. Fill in the last spot with either A.J. Styles, Amazing Red, Bryan Danielson, Christopher Daniels, or Low Ki and you're set.

Guest ToddRoyal

I wouldn't be surprised at all if John Walters gets an invite this year. He seems to be breaking out this year, and the ECWA usually likes to have a guy like that in the tourney.

kayfabe, but Roderick Strong has a slot.

I'd definately like to see Walters, Dutt, Jay Lethal, Jerrelle Clark, Shelly & Jacobs and someone else.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I think it could be a strong field this year if they pick it right. Here are some guys I think would be great:

Chris Hero

Trent Acid

Johnny Kashmere

Jerelle Clark

John Walters

B-Boy

(big name) AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Low-Ki

Nova(OVW)????

Where is it being held this year? The day its on is actually my first day of holiday, and im staying in Philly.

I know they run Philly, but for some reason I get the feeling that they promote in DE aswell.

Guest Joe_G

I'm guessing the show will be held in Wilmington, Delaware, like it usually is.

They have this match scheduled for 2/28, with the winner getting into the '04 Super 8.

Inferno vs. Johnny Heartbreaker vs. Ace Darling vs. Xavier vs. (Matt) Striker vs. John Walters

I'd bet on Walters winning that match...

How far is Willmington from central Philly then?

Could i do it (and back) in the evening (considering i would have had a 7 odd hour filght that morning)?

Guest Corino 1000

My pick would be Sonjay, or Sabin. Both men have improved greatly from the year before (2002).

Could i do it (and back) in the evening (considering i would have had a 7 odd hour filght that morning)?

According to mapquest Wilmington is 30 miles from Philly

Guest Markingout

30 miles isn't that far.

I doubt Sabin is going in this year. Too many good wrestlers that haven't been used.

Walters seems like a must now. The only thing is that he is in the 6 way.

According to mapquest Wilmington is 30 miles from Philly

Cheers Bob.

Good news I guess. All I have to do now is persuade the people im going with (who arnt wrestling fans) to make the trip.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

I wanted to go this year but I can't. But next year I'm going no doubt, consideirng I will be just getting home from Basic Training/AIT, the first thin...make that second thing I want to do is finally go to see the Super *( I live in MD, so its just a day trip).

Heres my fantasy booking, for shits and giggles:

1st round

Teddy Hart

Sonjay Dutt

Nigel McGuiness

Jerrelle Clark

Jimmy Jacobs

Alex Shelley

John Hennigan

Chris Sabin

2nd Round

Sonjay Dutt

Jerrelle Clark

Alex Shelly

Chris Sabin

Finals

Chris Sabin vs. Sonjay Dutt

Winner: Chris Sabin

Guest Markingout

Kazarian was in last year. Too much good talent that hasnt been booked in so I doubt we will see him.

Forgive me, but I don't know about Sonjay. He's as entertaining as they come, but I just wasn't a fan of Red being used in the event, and am also not a fan of having Sonjay work the event. Sonjay - while improving every day, and I'll be the first to admit that - is still a spot monkey...let's face it. And I think the Super 8 needs to retain the rep it had up until Red's inclusion as being a pure wrestling event. I'm a HUGE fan of Sonjay, but I don't like the idea of him working it...

John Walters IMO is a must use. I'd also like to see Shelley or Jacobs in there, like someone mentioned.

I'm guessing the show will be held in Wilmington, Delaware, like it usually is.

They have this match scheduled for 2/28, with the winner getting into the '04 Super 8.

Inferno vs. Johnny Heartbreaker vs. Ace Darling vs. Xavier vs. (Matt) Striker vs. John Walters

I'd bet on Walters winning that match...

Holy shit. Inferno, Heartbreaker, and Ace fuckin' Darling in a match with Xavier, Striker, and Walters.

That's a mismatch.

Guest Markingout
Forgive me, but I don't know about Sonjay. He's as entertaining as they come, but I just wasn't a fan of Red being used in the event, and am also not a fan of having Sonjay work the event. Sonjay - while improving every day, and I'll be the first to admit that - is still a spot monkey...let's face it. And I think the Super 8 needs to retain the rep it had up until Red's inclusion as being a pure wrestling event. I'm a HUGE fan of Sonjay, but I don't like the idea of him working it...

Sonjay on occasion can sell very well and seems too do it at the right time. At MLW War Games he long term sold the knee the whole night of the tournement. Even in the final he was grasping at the knee. Or at CZW Deja Vu 2, it was a gauntlet and Sonjay should the knee too death the whole way. Also Sonjay can be carried too a good match easily. I would keep Sonjay in and have him face a guy like Shelly who will ground him and will make him work good. There sequence of wrestling at Uprising was excellent.

There are far too many better junior workers in the US than Sonjay for him to be let in. His selling is really, really sporadic. In fact, the *majority* of his matches I've seen of his have had very mediocre, or poor selling. If the ECWA Super 8 wants to get back the prestige it had after 2001, it needs to shy away from booking spot guys.

Awesome news gang. One of my friends that has worked with a few New England indies does interviews at the Super 8 tourneys, and is friends with ECWA owner Jim Kettner. So as it stands, I'll be tagging along on a road trip to the show, with backstage access and all. Should be a good time.

Awesome news gang. One of my friends that has worked with a few New England indies does interviews at the Super 8 tourneys, and is friends with ECWA owner Jim Kettner. So as it stands, I'll be tagging along on a road trip to the show, with backstage access and all. Should be a good time.

Do you now know 100% that it is in Willmington DE then? Or are you just saying that you are going on the road trip no matter where the show is held?

It's always at that St. Matthews Church place where they have basically every show.

Could I trouble you for an address, so I can lookit up on mulitmap etc.

Thanks.