TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Pixies

I honesty have liked every single Pixies song of all time (and I've heard them all)... the one that I don't like too much being "Dig For a Fire"... but I must say, Bossanova is DEFINITELY their least accessible album, of the four LP's and main EP, and though it's the first album that I bought and I still liked it, I would recommend starting out with the first two LP's.

That said, I never got the Trompe Le Monde hate. It's fuckin' brilliant, despite the lack of Kim Deal's glorious backing-vocals for the main part. That, and I like the original recording of "Subbacultcha" better than the one done for the album.

Let's just talk about how awesome "Head On" is.

Agreed. One of the only covers I've heard that's actually superior to the original (or at least on par... hard to compare seeing as how different it is from the JaMC version, which rules too.)

speaking as a recently converted pixies fan, 'surfer rosa' was a much better entry point with the rocking really hard & the catchiness & what not, even though 'doolittle' is overall a stronger album.

About five years ago I was just getting into the Pixies. I was lucky enough to find all the albums together in a package deal on EBay, and I won the auction for $25. Then I laid down on my bed and listened to them all in a row one afternoon. It was awesome.

The direction of this thread would indicate that what Pixies album is best for someone who normally isn't "into" this type of music. Gil Norton's production sheen on the band's later work may make those albums more "accessible"--when compared to Steve Albini's dry, harsh boardwork for Surfer Rosa--but arguing like we have been is rather silly. If you're gonna like the relatively more pop-oriented Trompe Le Monde, you'll very likely not be scared off by the more abrasive Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa, or the manic moments of Doolittle. It's still very much Frank Black/Black Francis' work, in spite of what the numerous Kim Deal apologists might think.

About five years ago I was just getting into the Pixies. I was lucky enough to find all the albums together in a package deal on EBay, and I won the auction for $25. Then I laid down on my bed and listened to them all in a row one afternoon. It was awesome.

I always figured Surfer Rosa was one of those "musts" when getting into indie music.

From the Winnipeg Sun:

Music fans from across North America had only 240 seconds to gobble up tickets this morning before legendary indie rock band the Pixies sold out their upcoming premier reunion show in Winnipeg. "We were phoning and we were on the Internet. We had a laptop and a home computer and two phones," said Jay Sorby, who managed to secure four tickets for $143 just after 10 a.m. "We set up our alarms. I kept tossing and turning all night."

HOTLY ANTICIPATED RETURN

The Boston-based alternative rockers' hotly anticipated return to the stage at the Burton Cummings Theatre on April 14 caused chaos at the box office, with people as far away as Los Angeles and New York snatching up the 1,500 seats in record time.

"It went faster than any of us thought," said Peter Valdi, TicketMaster's general manager. "It's absolutely amazing."

Valdi said telephone and Internet lines opened up at 10 a.m., and by 10:04 a.m. there was nothing left. About 70% of fans purchased tickets on the Internet, with accounts stretching from New Jersey to Montreal to Connecticut, Michigan, L.A., and New York.

"The demand for this has been absolutely insane," Valdi said.

Previously, the Dave Matthews Band held the record for fastest sell-out at the Burton Cummings Theatre, which was 45 minutes.

"This pretty much, and sorry Dave Matthews, kicks the poop out of him," said Valdi.

One of the most influential rock bands of the late '80s, the Pixies released five albums between 1986 and 1993, then suffered a bitter break-up. They re-connected last fall.

Fans aren't sure why the original lineup of Frank Black (vocals and guitar), Joey Santiago (guitar), Kim Deal (bass) and David Lovering (drums) decided to kick off their Canadian, U.S. and European reunion tour here.

An appreciative crowd embraced Black last year when he played a sold-out show at Le Rendez-Vous with his band The Catholics. Sources have said the enthusiastic reception he received helped the Pixies choose this city as their starting point.

Sorby's been a fan since he was a teenager and was excited to be one of the lucky ones.

"I was pretty pumped, because I knew that I could take a couple of friends with me," he said. "Then I felt guilty, because I can't take everybody."

...Badass.

About five years ago I was just getting into the Pixies.  I was lucky enough to find all the albums together in a package deal on EBay, and I won the auction for $25.  Then I laid down on my bed and listened to them all in a row one afternoon.  It was awesome.

I always figured Surfer Rosa was one of those "musts" when getting into indie music.

In hindsight, it kinda feels like the must. What else could compete? Maybe some Sonic Youth, but hell, I've never heard an album of theirs all the way through. Ain't I a stinker?

About five years ago I was just getting into the Pixies.  I was lucky enough to find all the albums together in a package deal on EBay, and I won the auction for $25.  Then I laid down on my bed and listened to them all in a row one afternoon.  It was awesome.

In hindsight, it kinda feels like the must. What else could compete?

Velvet Underground's first album. My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. Most recent addition would probably be Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Loving any or all of these albums isn't a requirement, but they're touchstones in independent music. (I'm using the term "independent" loosely, by the way.)

In hindsight, it kinda feels like the must. What else could compete?

Velvet Underground's first album. My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. Most recent addition would probably be Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Loving any or all of these albums isn't a requirement, but they're touchstones in independent music. (I'm using the term "independent" loosely, by the way.)

The Velvet Underground is my favorite band ever (actually they're sort of tied with the Pixies/Zeppelin/Prince/Clash, but whatever), and I believe all of their albums to be completely necessary, but while they WERE an independant band of sorts, I don't think that their music is anywhere near most indie bands of the last 20 years, or anything that "indie kids" listen to these days. I dunno, I just consider Nico's monotone delivery on "All Tomorrow's Parties" to be miles and miles away musically from the sweet noise-rock of "When You Sleep."

That said, Loveless and company are all very important, but I'll be the first to say that Surfer Rosa is THE record.

All debate aside about which Pixies album is best I think it's awesome they are doing a tour. If only they'd come to the Mass/New Hampshire area so I can see them. I should also note that the "Complete B-Sides" disc is quite a good comp. of good songs. I also like the "Live on the BBC" cd as it has a much better version of "Levitate Me" than the original recording.

All debate aside about which Pixies album is best I think it's awesome they are doing a tour. If only they'd come to the Mass/New Hampshire area so I can see them. I should also note that the "Complete B-Sides" disc is quite a good comp. of good songs. I also like the "Live on the BBC" cd as it has a much better version of "Levitate Me" than the original recording.

The BBC is what made "Levitate Me" one of my favorite Pixies songs. They preform it magnificently.

And as for the tour, does anyone hope that they play any more obscure stuff? Obviously they'll play all of the songs they're known for, and "Vamos" and "Into the White" and "The Lady In the Radiator Song"... but I'm really pulling for "Letter to Memphis," "Tony's Theme," and "Subbacultcha."