TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Question for anybody knowledgeable bout baseball

Is there anyway to estimate the number of AB's for a player in correlation to the actual games played & actual AB's he had for the season? I'm trying to figure out how many HR's Babe Ruth would've hit in 1927(Hit 60 in 540 AB's in 151 games) if he played in 162 games. My problem is figuring out how to estimate the number of AB's he would have in 162 games while taking into account the number of actual AB's in the actual games he did play. If anybody can give me an answer I'd greatly appreciate it.

Easiest way to go about this is simply to divide 162 games by the number of games played in that season, in this case 154. So 162/154 = 1.0519. Then take Ruth's numbers and multiply them by that number. Ruth's 60 HRs * 1.0519 = 63.117. So he would have hit about 63 home runs in a 162 game schedule.

Well say it's a 162 game schedule like in 2003. Let's say Barry Bonds hits 9 HR's in 178 AB's playing in 45 games. Is there anyway to estimate the # of AB's he'd get if he played all 162 games taking into account the fact that he had 178 AB's in 45 games?

I could always estimate him getting 550 AB's or 600 AB's and figuring the estimated HR's he'd have from that but it wouldn't be as accurate as getting a concrete number of AB's and figuring the HR's from that right?

I could always estimate him getting 550 AB's or 600 AB's and figuring the estimated HR's he'd have from that but it wouldn't be as accurate as getting a concrete number of AB's and figuring the HR's from that right?

If you simply go by the games played, it will be every bit as accurate as if you figure out the at bats, because none of the numbers are really changing. Lets use Ruth's '27 season as an example. In my earlier example, simply using games, I estimated he'd hit 63.117 HRs. Now lets go for at bats. Ruth home runs at a rate of 0.111. Now if we divide 162/154, and multiply that by Ruth's at bats, we estimate he'd collect 568 at bats. If he hits HRs in 11% of them, he'd hit.....63.117 HRs. Don't drag more math in than you have to.