Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mikey2Dope

The "What Film(s) Did You Watch Today" Thread

Day of The Dead

Land of The Dead

Watched them last night. Both get 9/10

Guest The Satanic Angel

S.W.A.T.

It was on cable, so I only caught the last hour. I have it on DVD, so I plan to watch it again later. I enjoyed it (for the fourth time).

Starship Troopers

3/10

Denise Richards does the best no sell in the history of the world in this movie. Gets a giant claw through her shoulder and was able to still use her right arm to hoist a machine gun and fire with no affects of the wound at all. Not even Hogan could no sell that.

wolfcreek.jpg

"Wolf Creek" - 3/10

I'm going to go ahead and call for a moratorium on people - especially people on the internet - labelling every new gory horror flick as "the most disturbing film in years" or some such bullshit. It wasn't true of a film like "Audition", it wasn't true of a film like "High Tension", it's so definitely not true of this film. I'm going to hopefully see "Hostel" soon, so maybe I can see if that one's also incredibly overrated as well.

I was looking forward to this film, because for whatever reason, I bought into the hype from people who said that this film was a great horror flick. Guess what? WRONG. Dead wrong. Roger Ebert gave this film 0 stars, and I don't quite agree with him on that, but hey, this film's grossly overrated and in general is just a steaming pile of shit.

First off, the film doesn't even get remotely interesting until FIFTY MINUTES in. Now, I'm not 'fanofcoils', I can wait for a movie to build the suspense / story, but honestly, they didn't need to spend half the fucking movie on the build, especially when the payoff of the other half was shit.

So when the action starts, what we get isn't really anything special. Is it gory? A bit here and there. Is it disturbing? See, now this is what a lot of the pussy reviewers (Ebert included) seem to take offense too. It's 'too disturbing' to them. It 'crosses lines which shouldn't be crossed' to paraphrase one reviewer. Bullshit. It is 1) neither as disturbing as people make it out to be, and 2) the violence in this is absolutely pointless and gratuitious. Gratuitious violence is okay so long as there's a point to it, BUT THERE ISN'T ANY HERE. The killer isn't particularly terrifying or even really interesting, though I suppose in some ways he's more realistic.

This film feels like an homage to the 70s gorefest films that guys like Rob Zombie seem to love, but quite frankly, Rob already did an homage to that genre last year in "The Devil's Rejects", and his film was 10 times more effective, entertaining, and in tune with that style of film.

So, in closing, let me just say: this film fucking sucked, and the makers of it should go eat a bowl of dicks. Thank you for making me waste an hour and forty minutes of my life I'll never get back, you fucking time rapists.

P.S. Quentin Tarantino called this movie "the scariest film I've ever seen". Just fucking STOP, Quentin. My dog has literally shit scarier things than this.

I liked The Corruptor, though I think The Replacement Killers was better, as far as Chow Yun Fat movies goes.

I think "The Replacement Killers" was a bit of a mess. It tried to hard to be a hong kong action flick and almost ended up like a parody instead. That said, I'm a Chow Yun-Fat fan so I did some enjoyment from it. I prefer his hong kong work like "A Better Tomorrow", "City on Fire", "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled".

I really enjoy "Replacement Killers", though it's essentially one big, long music video. But that makes sense, didn't Antoine Fuqua direct that? I think that was his first film gig, after spending years directing.....music videos. "Killers" is essentially an American take on the Hong Kong action cinema, and to that end it does a fine job, although obviously the original films are better.

"Corruptor" is an underrated film and of the two Chow Yun Fat movies, it has the better, more-engrossing story, and a finer performance by Fat.

If you want to focus upon Fat's American movies, it's one of the better ones, whereas "Bulletproof Monk" is easily his worst and is one of the very few movies that I have ever walked out on. EVER. I mean, I have sat through some real bombs before, for the simple reason that if I've spent my hard-earned money on a film I'm stubborn enough to try and sit through the movie even if it's crap, in order to justify the money I've spent. But that was one of the ones so bad I couldn't even justify spending a moment longer. Just fucking godawful.