TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

Does anyone have this e-mail

I got this message today:

Subject: Your IP was logged

Msg: You are a bad writer.

It came with an attachment called test.zip. Now, I'm not the adventerous type to open it.

Anyway, I'm most active in these forums but I figured it's probably no one here who sent me this. Has anyone else ever get this message or attachment?

Guest cobainwasmurdered

no but I got a ton of emails saying "EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE" when eddie won the title.

I got this message today:

Subject: Your IP was logged

Msg: You are a bad writer.

It came with an attachment called test.zip. Now, I'm not the adventerous type to open it.

Anyway, I'm most active in these forums but I figured it's probably no one here who sent me this. Has anyone else ever get this message or attachment?

Probably one of MyDoom viruses... or the Netsky one.

I remember when I first signed up here, I used to get all these weird ass e-mails from Dames's address. Like, when you opened it up, you'd get all this weird code and HTML and stuff. I figured it was either some board malfunction or Dames was stalking me.

Anybody ever get an e-mail like that?

Guest KJ Brackish

I'm getting an e-mail from *myself* at some webpage.....In fact it goes like this....I'll copy and paste:

To: [email protected] (primary e-mail address)

CC: [email protected] (my other e-mail address)

testing

Sent by blackvoices Mail...

That's it! I've never even been to that site, and I don't register anything under my addtl e-mail address. I just wish I knew what was up.

DFA

Ive had attachments called txt.zip. I thought it odd that someone would zip a .txt. file, so I opened it (I was at uni at the time, so I thought I had nothing to loose). Anyway, to get to the point, the anti virus picked it up as myDoon virus.

:( So if you get anything like that, stay well clear.

It's the Netsky virus.

PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com) had a big write-up about it this morning.

Did they say what you're supposed to do to get rid of this? I keep getting those same emails, but I'm not having any problems with my laptop and Symantec isn't showing any viruses in my computer. Is there a way to stop getting those emails?

Not really. We still get them at work, but since we have Symantec Anti-Virus on the Exchange server, all the virii get quarantined, and the user gets a message that the virus was quarantined. The problem with a lot of these socially-engineered worms is that they use names from people's address books, so an email that looks like it's from your friend might very well be carrying the worm. You might be able to block individual senders or certain types of attachments, though, which would alleviate the problem.