TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Men's basketball Conference Tournament thread

I thought I'd make this thread and update the conference champions in each conference as a reference.

Next to each team is their record & RPI. (RPI based on March 7th)

America East: Vermont (22-8, 125)

Atlantic 10: Xavier (23-10, 52)

ACC:

Atlantic Sun: Central Florida (24-5, 61)

Big 12:

Big East: UConn (27-6, 7)

Big Sky: Eastern Washington (17-12, 145)

Big South: Liberty (17-14, 166)

Big Ten:

Big West: Pacific (24-7, 70)

Colonial: Virginia Commonwealth (23-7, 62)

C-USA: Cincinnati (24-6, 19)

Horizon: Illinois-Chicago (24-7, 96)

Ivy: Princeton (19-7, 132)

MAAC: Manhattan (24-5, 45)

Mid-Continent: Valparaiso (18-12, 157)

MAC: Western Michigan (26-4, 55)

MEAC: Florida A&M (14-16, 291)

MVC: Northern Iowa (20-9, 68)

MWC: Utah (24-8, 43)

NEC: Monmouth (21-11, 119)

OVC: Murray State (25-5, 57)

Pac-10: Stanford (29-1, 6)

Patriot: Lehigh (20-10, 205)

SEC:

Southern: East Tennessee State (24-5, 58)

Southland: Texas-San Antonio (20-12, 236)

SWAC: Alabama State (16-14, 253)

Sun Belt: Louisiana-Lafayette (20-8, 87)

WCC: Gonzaga (27-2, 9)

WAC: Nevada (22-8, 38)

East Tennessee State beat UT-Chattanooga to win the SoCon tourney.

Troy State plays Central Florida in the Atlantic Sun final.

High Point is playing Liberty right now in the Big South final.

Austin Peay plays Murray State in the OVC final.

And Princeton can earn the Ivy leagues' automatic bid with a win tonight.

Southwest Missouri State beat Sothern Illinois in the MVC semis today, so the Richmond's, FSU's & Colorado's of the world better bring their 'A' game to the conference tourneys because they just lost one spot.

Monday's tournament finals:

CAC (Colonial): Virginia Commonwealth v. George Mason

MAAC (Mid-Atlantic): Manhattan v. Niagara

MVC (Missouri Valley): Southern Missouri State v. Northern Iowa

WCC (West Coast): St. Mary's (CA) v. Gonzaga

Southwest Missouri State beat Sothern Illinois in the MVC semis today, so the Richmond's, FSU's & Colorado's of the world better bring their 'A' game to the conference tourneys because they just lost one spot.

The funny thing about this is I remember my sports econ professor talking about how (unofficially, of course) the MVC would want SIU to lose so the MVC could get two teams in and thus get more money (which in turn is good for my alma mater, even if they lost today)

Amazing how things come to pass

I would be pretty surprised if Washington does not get in now. As long as they win that first round game (not sure who the #7 seed is) at the very least they either beat Arizona three times in a season or lose in the semi's to a team they've beat twice. I think they're in, but who knows the way things change with these conference tourneys.

Conference tournaments are a huge waste of time and make the regular season irrelevent in many ways.

Anyways on Washington they are #76 in the RPI thru yesterday. New Mexico in 1999 got in as an at-large ranked #74 which was the lowest ever. They play UCLA in the first round and tournament is in L.A. so they'll have home court. See that's what I also hate about conference tournaments that a lot of the conferences use the same venue every year. The Pac-10 has an NBA arena in every region of the conference yet they only play it in L.A. It's a joke that the So Cal schools get home court advantage every year. UCLA upset Arizona last year in the first round when U of A was the #1 seed and I'm sure it helped that they were pretty much playing at home.

Conference tournaments are a huge waste of time and make the regular season irrelevent in many ways.

Yeah, the regular season usually means nothing in college basketball. However, I like the fact that a team who is on the bubble or didn't play well in the regular season, can still win their conference tournment and get in the big dance.

The final game is always really good and it gives me a chance to check out teams that I usually don't get to see in the regular season. That way I will be able to do better in my predictions.

Washington's in. No way the selection committee only has 2 Pac 10 teams.

Not if they lose that first-rounder. The Pac 10 has sucked big time this year...they don't really deserve more than two. I think they might even need to reach the finals.

Guest Jimbo
New Mexico in 1999 got in as an at-large ranked #74 which was the lowest ever.

do you remember the reasoning behind that? That means tha tlike 20+ teams with better RPI's got in. That's pretty amazing (and ridiculous).

I think it was back before the Mountain West and WAC split, back when they had an obscene amount of members. I think they won the regular season, but lost in the tournament. Not sure on that though.

Not if they lose that first-rounder. The Pac 10 has sucked big time this year...they don't really deserve more than two. I think they might even need to reach the finals.

The committe looks at conference when deciding. No way they only have 2 Pac 10 teams. Only 2 should make it if Washington loses it's 1st round game, that won't be the case though.

The committe looks at conference when deciding. No way they only have 2 Pac 10 teams. Only 2 should make it if Washington loses it's 1st round game, that won't be the case though.

The committee does NOT say they need x teams from any particular conference. Bottom line is, if they're not good enough, they won't get in. The Pac-10 has been the drizzling shits this year, and doesn't deserve to have three teams go. If Washington goes over a team like Air Force, I'll be really pissed.

And the last time the Huskies went down to LA to play the Bruins, they lost. That first-round win isn't nearly a sure thing.

If OSU were to win the Big XII tourney I'd almost have to say they should be a #1 seed since they'd be doing what they're doing now......whipping the ass of anything in sight.

Guest Jimbo
Who are everyone's #1 seeds?

I love the Duke program but they should not get a 1. I would go with:

St. Joe's

Stanford

Gonzaga

Mississippi St.

You're right, having the BEST record in the BEST conference in America certainly doesn't deserve a #1 ranking...

Guest Jimbo

As much as I wish for them to get a #1 seed, you gotta take the Zag's off.

You can't deny St. Joe's or Stanford-- they were undefeated for the entire season.

Miss St. has been solid all year and has palyed terrific basketball in the SEC.

Conversely, Gonzaga, although very good in their own right, lost to both St. Joe's and Stanford. Yeah, I know they are the only two teams they lost to, but still, one would logically say they are therefore worse than them.

In addition, I don't think you can make a decent arguement for them being a better or more deserving team than Duke or Miss St. considering both were just as good, and played in a much more difficult conferences than Gonzaga's.

btw, Gert T, Virginia Commonwealth just wrapped up the CCA tournement and a bid for the NCAA's in a 55-54 victory over George Mason a few minutes ago.

Which team on my list would you replace with Duke and why?

If I had to make a case, I'd toss Gonzaga. Mississippi State won the SEC outright, and has seven wins against the RPI top 50. Gonzaga did go undefeated in conference, but a much weaker one, and has only two wins against the RPI top 50, and none against the top 25. Duke won the toughest conference in America, and has 6 wins against the RPI top 25 (11 against the top 50).

My top 8 seeds would probably be:

East - St. Joseph's, Pittsburgh

South - Duke, Kentucky

Midwest - Mississippi State, Gonzaga

West - Stanford, Oklahoma State

Guest Jimbo

It would be awesome to see St. Joe's 'n Pitt.

I'd love to see how Pitt would handle Nelson, West, and the rest of their perimeter players...

Manhattan has hung on to beat Niagara 62-61 and win the MAAC championship.

Southwest Missouri State (the team that beat Southern Illinois) and Northern Iowa are in overtime in the Missouri Valley championship game.

Southern Illinois is a Top 30 RPI team so they are a lock so somebody lost an at-large bid because of them not winning their tournament.

Kent State played themselves off the bubble with their losing streak after Bracket Buster Saturday. They're going to need to win the MAC to get in.

Gonzaga gets the WCC automatic bid, Northern Iowa wins in double OT to win the MVC.