TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Men's basketball Conference Tournament thread

Some Maryland fan (Im assuming) shot themselves in the leg accidently with a gun they snuck in the arena and had to be carried out on a stretcher duringt he Terps/Demon Deacons game.

WTF?

SOMEONE BROUGHT A FUCKING GUN TO A SPORTING EVENT and got away with it?

He'll sue the Venue I'm sure.

Thats what they said on the radio. Didnt actually see it because the game was blacked out.

The fan didnt exactly "get away with it" since the police know they had a gun, they shot their self with it and they'll probably be arrested after they get out of the hospital.

Incidentally, it was an off-duty police officer.

Guest MikeSC
My number 1's right now:  Duke, Stanford (losing by 1 to Oregon at halftime), St. Joseph's, Kentucky.

St. Joseph's won't do it. That loss to Xavier, along with the weakness of the A-10, won't give them a #1 seed.

And, has there EVER been a more painful half to sit through of basketball than the S. Carolina/Arkansas first round game? The last 7 minutes of the game took nearly AN HOUR to finish as Arkansas was fouling on every single possession. I almost wanted to cry watching that.

Well, the Cocks are almost definitely in after dismantling LSU (even after they likely get splattered by Kentucky next round).

#1 Seeds: Duke, Kentucky, Stanford, and probably Oklahoma State.

-=Mike

Please again elaborate about this A-10 weakness? 7 of the 12 teams will get to post-season play which is about par for the course with other conferences.

The Big Ten will get three teams.

The Pac-10 will get three teams.

The A-10 will get three teams.

The A-10's conference RPI is higher than the Pac-10's.

Sorry I have been to 10 A-10 games in three days, I am bitter.

Looking at respective RPI, A-10 is down the list. ACC and SEC are the best b-ball conferences by a healthy margin. Heck, C-USA is better. The Big 12 is better. The Big East might be. Heck, going with total postseason, ACC has every team but one (Clemson) probably making it. SEC has, probably, 9 or 10 teams there.

The A-10 was down this season and losing BADLY to an unranked Xavier kills the already iffy-St.Joe's from getting a #1 seed. The PAC-10 is bad, so saying that they're better than than the PAC-10 is laughable.

And thank God, because I could see them being the first #1 seed to lose in the 1st round.

-=Mike

...Who is preparing to watch Kentucky pound his beloved alma mater into the ground like a spike

And all of the teams you said will make it, you got from ESPN.com, so you can't pull that one.

Really did I? Please tell me which fourth Big Ten or Pac-10 team will get to the tournament? Michigan? Iowa? Oregon?

Watching basketball can make it easy to come to that conclusion.

After last night's win Washington is now up to #67 in the RPI so they won't break New Mexico's record for lowest RPI to get an at-large, if they don't beat Stanford today.

Oh and again everyone who says St. Joe's isn't getting a #1 seed isn't looking at the facts. They are still #3 in the RPI and have the #1 non-conferece strength of schedule. That's a slam dunk #1 seed.

And all of the teams you said will make it, you got from ESPN.com, so you can't pull that one.

Really did I? Please tell me which fourth Big Ten or Pac-10 team will get to the tournament? Michigan? Iowa? Oregon?

Earlier you said

The A-10 will get three teams

And ESPN.com has three Big Ten team's getting in, three Pac-10 teams getting in and three A-10 teams getting in.

However, one can get that conclusion just from watching a lot of basketball so, my bad.

After last night's win Washington is now up to #67 in the RPI so they won't break New Mexico's record for lowest RPI to get an at-large, if they don't beat Stanford today.

Oh and again everyone who says St. Joe's isn't getting a #1 seed isn't looking at the facts. They are still #3 in the RPI and have the #1 non-conferece strength of schedule. That's a slam dunk #1 seed.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Looks like they might get the number 1 seed then.

Guest Jimbo

DePaul shot very poorly and lost to Cincy today and Illonois is up 13 with 7:30 left in the 1st half.

Guest Jimbo

Well, Michigan had pulled to within 2 with 14 minutes to go, but another 2 minutes have passed and they are back down 8, 47-39.

C'MON BLUE!!!

Earlier you said

The A-10 will get three teams

And ESPN.com has three Big Ten team's getting in, three Pac-10 teams getting in and three A-10 teams getting in.

However, one can get that conclusion just from watching a lot of basketball so, my bad.

Although in fairness Dayton seems about 60-40 being in with the analysts.

Clark Kellogg had Air Force in over them.

Here's a question, although I am not sure if either team will get in Colorado or Richmond? The committee says that they look for the 34 best at-large teams. Colorado had 10 wins in the Big 12 this season. Richmond had 10 wins in the A-10 which is obvious nowhere near the level of the Big 12 (Don't worry I'm not delusional!) But I think Richmond has a higher SOS and RPI, and they beat them out in Colorado.

A big problem with the A-10 is that 4 of the 5 best teams play in the Western Division. If Richmond doesn't play UD 3 times, Xavier twice & GW twice they may be hovering around 23-24 wins, but of course the RPI would be down a little too.

Florida A&M has clinched a birth to the NCAA tournament at Dayton, OH next Tuesday with a record of 14-16 with an amazing RPI of 291 out of I believe 326!

Sorry if I seemed testy M-Slayer, I've been debating for a week now about how the top four teams in the A-10 could get into the tourney and at least win a game.

But then again about 45-55 at-large teams could do that this year.

Sorry about the double, I'll try to make something useful from it.

OK State is up 6 against Texas Tech with 14 minutes to go.

Duke is up 10 on Georgia Tech with about 9 minutes left.

Illinois is about to finish up Michigan.

Guest Jimbo

Weeeeeeell, that MAryland team is sure showign everyone they are deserving of a bid as they just upset NC State in a very impressive fashion.

With little time left in the second half, they were down by 21 points, however, they nade a teriffic comeback and defeated the Wolfack, 84-78 in Greensboro, to move onto tommorow's final's match up versus Duke.

Duke defeated Ga Tech, Illinois took care of Michigan, and the Spartans lost a tough game to Wisconsin. Washington and Stanford square off in a rematch tommorow, and Xavier, who thumped St. Joe's earlier this week, pummelled George Washington, 70-47 to win the A-10 tourney last night.

Well looks like Oklahoma State and Texas are playing in the Big XII tournament finals. Hmm.......they were also the 2 teams that played for the regular season Big XII conference title. I guess the Big XII tourney worked out like it was supposed to and didn't have any upsets. Seemed that everyone that should've won..........won.

VENGEANCE BABY~!

Stanford avenges their only loss of the season to beat Washington and definently wrap up a #1 seed in the West Region.

No, it's...

YEEEEEEAAAAAHHH TERPS~!

What a freaking awesome comeback. I know they shouldn't beat Duke, but really, they shouldn't have beaten Wake and NC State.

I was happy the Terps won as well, but I didn't get to see the game.

Stupid blackouts. I don't know why the game is blacked out when its in NC and I have no other way to watch it. Im willing to bet the title game will be blacked out as well.

Way to go Maryland. 2 upsets in a row. Now I could only wish that they stand a chance against Duke tomorrow~!

They have a chance I guess. They played Duke tight 1 of the 2 games this year.

I've heard it about 5 times already that the Terps are peaking at just the right time and I can't forget the Juan Dixon = John Gilchrist comparisons of how Gilchrist is carrying the team just like Dixon did when Maryland won the Title. We'll see....or in my case hear...

Well the field of 65 is pretty much set, because of the five title games tomorrow, no team will gain or lose an at-large bid.

Andy Katz thought Richmond would be the final at large team in the field.

Why does their have to be 65 teams in the tourney? Why not get rid of one at large bid.

Well the field of 65 is pretty much set, because of the five title games tomorrow, no team will gain or lose an at-large bid.

Andy Katz thought Richmond would be the final at large team in the field.

Why does their have to be 65 teams in the tourney? Why not get rid of one at large bid.

There's an agreement in place that there have to be 34 at-large bids. That was fine when there were 30 conferences, but with 31 conferences now (with the addition of the Mountain West a few years back) there have to be 65 bids.

Hmm.......the Big XII tourney has only been shown on local channels. Since ESPN is in love with the East that's all they show.

Well OU won something.........the Women's Basketball team won the Big XII tournament. Someone wake me when I care about Women's basketball.

Teams that have clinched a bid (with five more today):

Connecticut

Stanford

Gonzaga

Cincinnati

Nevada

Xavier

Utah

Manhattan

Western Michigan

VCU

Murray St.

Northern Iowa

UCF

East Tennessee St.

Pacific

UL-Lafayette

Illinois-Chicago

Vermont

Monmouth

Princeton

Eastern Washington

Valparaiso

Liberty

TX-San Antonio

Alabama St.

Florida A&M

Teams not listed above who are in the Top 30 of the RPI which means they are locks since no team in the Top 30 has ever been left out (obviously some have games today to clinch bids):

Duke

Kentucky

Saint Joseph's

Mississippi St.

Pittsburgh

Texas

Oklahoma St.

Florida

Kansas

Georgia Tech

Syracuse

Wisconsin

North Carolina St.

North Carolina

Wake Forest

Providence

Illinois

Boston College

Maryland

Louisville

Southern Illinois

Alabama

Vanderbilt

Seton Hall

Texas Tech

So there is 51 out of 65 teams.

Here is everyone ranked from 31 to 70 in the RPI who are on the bubble. Of course some are pretty much locks and some have no chance. LSU at #38 will probably be the highest rated team in the RPI not to make it since they've lost 6 of their last 7 and their best player is out for the year. Air Force will probably make it at #70 which would be the second lowest ranking ever to get in.

BYU

UAB

Memphis

Charlotte

DePaul

LSU

Michigan St.

Dayton

Arizona

Utah St.

South Carolina

UTEP

Georgia

Oklahoma

Richmond

Notre Dame

Missouri

Virginia

Florida St.

Michigan

Colorado

Rutgers

Washington

Rice

Saint Louis

Troy St.

Villanova

Iowa St.

Wichita St.

Air Force

Guest Jimbo

These 7 are already locks...

UAB

Memphis

Charlotte

DePaul

Michigan St.

Arizona

Utah St.

Air Force

...so there's no use arguing about them.

So the question is, who are the other 7?

Lunardi had a good point when it comes to Richmond-- if they even think of letting Colorado and Kansas in, they MUST let Richmond in, since they beat both of those teams on the road, and did very well in the same A-10 west division as St. Joe's.

It is so hard for me to judge many of hte teams because all the ones in the major conferences stunk it up this weekend. UVA, Florida St., Rutgers, Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia, etc..did jack shit. Villanova beat Seton Hall, but that's the only notable achievement I can see.

South Carolina, Dayton, and Washington are all locks too so that leaves three. BYU is ranked #31 and that would be the highest ranking ever not to get in so I'd say they are in. Can scratch out Rutgers, Rice, Saint Louis, Troy St., Villanova, Iowa St., and Wichita St.

That leaves two bids for these teams: LSU, UTEP, Georgia, Oklahoma, Richmond, Notre Dame, Missouri, Virginia, Florida St., Michigan, Colorado.