TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Use Your Illusion

Street Fighter III on its way to PS2...

According to reports out of Japan, Capcom will be bringing Street Fighter III: Third Strike to the PS2. A release date and details on the game's content have yet to be revealed.

Third Strike, the final entry in the Street Fighter III series, first appeared on the Dreamcast back in June of 2000. That version had Online play via Capcom's matching service, suggesting that Capcom may attempt similar Online functionality with the PS2 version, only using the recent Broadband matching service that has been featured in other Online titles out of the company. At this point, Online play has yet to be confirmed.

We'll have more on the PS2 version of Street Fighter III: Third Strike as it is revealed.

Credit: IGN.com

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

*is now tempted to purchase the Hard drive

Seriously, though--what took so long? The PS2 certainly is capable of doing really good 2D. Sure, some of the previous games were slightly-sloppy port jobs but they were still good.

Aside from that, after seeing Guilty Gear X2 run on the PS2, it's certainly more than capable of pulling a game like Third Strike off.

What sort of extras would really be necessary to include? Online play probably is feasible (for those who care), but the options already allowed you to adjust nearly every freakin' facet of the gameplay you could possibly want. There's plenty of characters and no real hiddens we haven't been able to play as yet.

Hm--art gallery mode? Team Battle? Survival?

If it comes out here, I'll get it. I'd prefer a legit copy over my pira--er, you didn't hear that.

*Awesome*! Third Strike is my all time favorite 2D fighter, and the only one that I'd really consider putting in the time to get good at. The only thing keeping me from it was that it wasn't on PS2. Omg I'm so happy, hehe. I guess my Japanese PS2 will finally get used for something other than Bemani.

New Generation and 2nd Impact stages.

A couple of new characters would be nice too.

New Generation and 2nd Impact stages.

A couple of new characters would be nice too.

Yeah, all the backgrounds should be in. I was disappointed they didn't put that in Vampire Chronicles (WITH MATCHING SERVICE!~), because without it, it's just a slightly upgraded Vampire Savior.

I don't think we'd get "new" characters per se.

Perhaps they'd put Maki in or some one else that would fit in storyline-wise.

I'm shocked that none of the SF3's contained older, more polished versions of Sakura/Karin. Their ages would about fit in. Hell, if we still have Ryu, Ken, Chun Li and Akuma hanging around, it wouldn't be absurd to have grown up versions of those other characters.

Maybe that's partly what took so long--I'll take a good version of 3rd Strike anyway I can get it, but if it is several years late something extra should be put in, I guess.

*Whoot* I kicked Gill's ass with Guile's bishie knockoff Remy, fair and square.

3rd strike is perhaps one of capcoms finest fighters, if not one of the finest fighters ever. About time it was released for the PS2

Regardless, anyone have a modded PS2

Yes

they'd like to trade for an X-Box? :P

No :P

Seriously, though--what took so long? The PS2 certainly is capable of doing really good 2D. Sure, some of the previous games were slightly-sloppy port jobs but they were still good.

Aside from that, after seeing Guilty Gear X2 run on the PS2, it's certainly more than capable of pulling a game like Third Strike off

GGX2 doesnt run on the same hardware as SF3 so you can't really say.

I'm shocked that none of the SF3's contained older, more polished versions of Sakura/Karin. Their ages would about fit in. Hell, if we still have Ryu, Ken, Chun Li and Akuma hanging around, it wouldn't be absurd to have grown up versions of those other characters.

Because the Karin fanbase is quite small. Capcom only brought Ryu and Ken back because so many fanboys bitched.

And Sakura? No more shotos. Makoto owns her for free

Guest Askewniverse

What's the difference between 3rd Strike and 2nd Impact? Back when I had a DC, I bought 3rd Strike over 2nd Impact because it was cheaper.

In any case, I hope Capcom makes a good port. I really liked Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on DC, but I didn't like it on PS2. Hopefully, the PS2 version of SF III will be as good as the DC version. SF III: 3rd Strike was one of my top 5 favorite DC games. I loved beating the shit out of that cyborg-type guy in the trenchcoat. The final boss was a bitch, especially on the hardest difficulty setting (damn Seraphic Wing super).

I understand Capcom wanting to start over fresh with SF3, but they shouldn't have dumped everyone. Ryu and Ken should have been kept, because only Midway throws away their main characters in their games. I'm happy Gouki was left in because I'm a huge fanboy for him, and I could live without Chun-Li. I'm also a Sagat mark, so I'd give my left nut to see a SF3 version of him, but c'est la vie.

And why has it taken four years to get this onto a PS2? And where the hell is a new SF game in any form? 3, Alpha, Versus, anything?

What's the difference between 3rd Strike and 2nd Impact? Back when I had a DC, I bought 3rd Strike over 2nd Impact because it was cheaper.

3rd Strike has new characters, new stages, new endings, new moves, gameplay tweaks, and so on.

There is, by far, too much good shit coming out over the next 12 months. With this, Mortal Kombat, Metal Gear 3 and the rumoured Justice League game, I'm heading to become one very poor individual.

Money can buy happiness.

UYI

"GGX2 doesnt run on the same hardware as SF3 so you can't really say."

But GGX2 has more characters, more animation, the backgrounds are far superior and it's in high-res.

I'm prety sure this will be a direct port. In fact, if you look at any of the SF Fanboy sites like SHORYUKEN they're not only clamoring for a direct port, but a direct port of the arcade that had all of the programming flaws (infinites) rather than the balanced out version that was released for Dreamcast. Odds are new characters would be considered blasphemy and ensure the game wasn't bought by the majority of people who would usually support it; the hardcore community who live and breathe SF.

But GGX2 has more characters, more animation, the backgrounds are far superior and it's in high-res.

It doesnt matter, they still run on two different things.

Btw SF3 has more animation frames than any GG game.

It doesnt matter, they still run on two different things.

Btw SF3 has more animation frames than any GG game.

You're kidding--I guess the hi-res fooled me.

I honestly can't believe people would want a direct port of the arcade, flaws intact. Tweaking and balancing would certainly do wonders vs. SvC:C, but looks like SNK isn't going to do it.

The instant Sonic Boom trick for Remy *is* present in the home version, though.

Didn't one of the MK PS1 games allow you to select which version (of the arcade game) to play? It would be a small thing that would shut up everyone if there were an original and arranged mode.

No one would mind a fixed up version of SvC, because it was unplayably broke to begin with, had no tourney community and things could only get better. With the main games, though, the tourney strategy is so established that no one wants Capcom to change it, they just want the exact same game but playable on PS2. For some games, the glitches have made the game more popular and more "balanced" (like roll cancels in CvS2, apparently it made more characters viable and created a better, albeit ridiculously glitchy, game), and people probably worry that fixing the glitches would make the game worse.

I don't play those games tourney level though, so I don't care either way.

No one would mind a fixed up version of SvC, because it was unplayably broke to begin with, had no tourney community and things could only get better. With the main games, though, the tourney strategy is so established that no one wants Capcom to change it, they just want the exact same game but playable on PS2. For some games, the glitches have made the game more popular and more "balanced" (like roll cancels in CvS2, apparently it made more characters viable and created a better, albeit ridiculously glitchy, game), and people probably worry that fixing the glitches would make the game worse.

What he said (though RC'ing lets you bend the rules of SF a little too much).

Didn't one of the MK PS1 games allow you to select which version (of the arcade game) to play?

No, but I really want that for the Midway Arcade Treasures with 1-3.

I'm prety sure this will be a direct port.  In fact, if you look at any of the SF Fanboy sites like SHORYUKEN they're not only clamoring for a direct port, but a direct port of the arcade that had all of the programming flaws (infinites) rather than the balanced out version that was released for Dreamcast.

Which infinites?

Renegade: okay, I kind of see your point, but I don't see any reason why the PS2 couldn't do an excellent port. We both know that MvC2 and CvS2 were half-assed rush jobs.

I asked around elsewhere, and got some quotes I'm unsure of the validity of:

GGX and GGX2 were made on NAOMI, but GGX #Reloaded looks perfect on PS2. Also, CPS3 is much weaker than NAOMI, so it will be much easier to do on PS2.

actually I think the the history of street fighters article that gamespot made, stated that the CPS3 that they use to run 3rd strike has more ram than the regular ones, like 90+ mb or something. they do that mainly to cut loading time. And Yes, Guilty Gear XX #reloaded runs flawlessly on PS2

SF3 ran on Capcom's 8 year old Cps3 hardware. There's nothing technically impressive about the game, Despite having ton's of animation its just another low res 2d fighter. Cps3 was crap from a hardware point of view, a fact learned latter by Capcom as they abandoned it after only 3 years (1996 - 1999) and 6 games, 3 of which were the 3 different versions of SF3.

Here's CPS3's specs

Main CPU : Hitachi SH2 @ 60mhz

Storage : SCSI CD Rom, RAM and Flash ROM.

RAM : up to 96mb of ram.

Sound CPU : Z80 @ 8 MHz (same as Cps2)

Sound Chips : Q Sound @ 4 MHz (same as Cps2)

Color Palette : 32 bit

Total On Screen Colors: 4096 (same as NeoGeo)

Colors per tile : 16 (4 bits per pixel) (same as Cps2)

Object Number : 900 (16 x 16 pixels)

Scroll Faces : 3

Resolution : 384 x 224 (same as Cps2)

Maximum Rom Capacity : 322 Megabits

As you can see the only thing impressive about CPS3 was it had a ton of system ram, but it needed it because when you turned on a CPS3 cabinet it loaded the entire game from the CD into its system ram. This process takes about 30 min's depending on the game. Once the game was loaded, the only thing the game cd was used for was streaming the games music which was in cdda format (this means that just like some Psone games, you could put the disc in a hifi and listen to the music on it). The reason it did this was partially as an anti piracy measure.

SF3 doesnt push the DC at all, remember, the CPS3 version ran happily on a board that runs at just 60mhz on 32bit hardware. At 200mhz on hardware thats a 64/128bit hybrid the DC is more or less twiddling its thumb's wondering what to do next while its running SF3 so what does that tell you about the 300mhz 128bit Ps2 ?. Fact is SF3 doesnt do anything all that hardware demanding, the Sega Saturn could probably have done an equally good port of SF3 if it had enough ram. Some of you might be thinking "if the arcade had so much ram how could the DC handle it ?", the reason is unlike the arcade the DC doesnt load the entire game into its system ram all at once, it only loads what it need's at the time (as in 2 fighters and a background etc) just like any other game. Thats it, SF3 doesnt use any of the DC's fancy 3d effects because its a 100% 2d game (unlike MVC2 and Cap vs SNK 2 which have 3d backgrounds).

While the DC does have 4 megs more video ram then the Ps2, the Ps2 has faster vram then the DC, plus the bus is wider meaning the data is sent quicker so overall it works out the same. On games consoles and modern PC's, Vram is usually much faster then your system ram becuase it needs to be for 3d games, but NOT for 2d games. When you run out of vram you can store textures in your system ram. This goes for ALL platforms, even your PC. If you dont believe me then run an emulator like Kawaks and select video, then video memory allocation, you will see you can use either video ram or system ram. My sisters comp is an old Pentium 3 with a crappy 2mb onboard video card, and Kawaks runs great as long as the video memory allocation is set to system ram.

Cps3 doesnt have any vram, it stores eveything in the system ram.The Ps2 has twice as much system ram as the DC, so not only can the Ps2 store twice as much animation, it could even have a tag mode if it wanted.Even if the DC port stored the sprites in both the system and vram the Ps2 would still come out on top.

DC: 16mb system ram + 8 mb vram = 24

Ps2: 32mb system ram + 4 mb vram = 36

Either way the Ps2 win's.Not only can the Ps2 handle SF3, it can do it better then the DC.

Bottom line, anybody who say's the Ps2 cant handle SF3 is either an out and out DC fanboy or full of ****.

I haven't seen any specs that would say the PS2 version would have to make any sacrifices. However, I guess you just meant my basis was a flawed comparison.

Bumping the thread--any new info?

I'm hoping older backgrounds are restored, but none of the screen shots revealed so far have revealed that, nor has the name changed. Vampire Chronicles was basically Savior with the different versions of the characters in the game, but they gave it a new name.

However, that didn't have the backgrounds/music from the previous games. (BOOO!)

Too bad, since Night Warriors had the Darkstalkers backgrounds and music (okay, the backgrounds were just color changes, basically, but still...).

It would be neat if some extras were added. They might throw in Gill as playable off the bat, but probably the secret options should stay as unlockables.

All the music tracks from the prior games, at least, Capcom?

Nothing new has been reported on IGN.com as of yet, and there is only the most basic of info on the SFIII Japanese website.

With this, plus MKDeception, KOF 2003 & SVChaos on its way to PS2 this year, I'm looking to announce bankrupcy.

UYI

With this, plus MKDeception, KOF 2003 & SVChaos on its way to PS2 this year, I'm looking to announce bankrupcy.

UYI

Don't buy SVC and MKD

There, problem solved.

UYI: Are you expecting SCEA to let KoF2003 come out here, or do you have an import/modded PS2?

Because if it is the former case, then I wouldn't count on it.