TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

The New Undertaker

I thought he'd have the black shirt with the cutoff sleeves (his original attitre) with the long grey gloves (or maybe shorter black ones-again original attire from 1990). But hey it wasn't about him reverting if you think about it, it was mind games to get back at Kane (I'm thinking storyline-wise). Although I must say he should have stayed with the short hair since his hair line is apparently the only dead thing about him. But stop complaining this is not the cartoon WWF era of the 80s and early 90's. It was like a combo of all past incarnations. Whatever, hopefully he'll have a good farewell run. Maybe WM 21 will be his final farewell. (and I hope to be there considering they'll be in LA) Off topic for a sec, why do you think WWE is again running WM in a smaller venue again next year? I thought this year was an abberation since it was the 20th one.

Marks: "They changed Undertaker! He's better than ever!"

Smarks: "But he still embodies all the awful wrestling and no-selling he did before!"

Marks: "...but, he's got a new hat!"

*marks rush towards Undertaker*

Kudos to the Simpsons reference!!!!!!

Rando.........nobody is above the title.

Okay... "Above" totally wasn't the word I should have used. Taker DOES NOT NEED the Title. Like HHH holding the IC Title in 2001... it just doesn't need to happen.

I hope he just hangs around, lets everybody mark out for a while, and then goes out with a bang never to be seen again.

Not reverting back to Old School Taker is a good thing, because it'd be illogical. After 4 years of being 'normal', he suddenly does the whole routine again just because he spent a month in a coffin (which is pretty extreme I guess, but still.)

When looking back at previous storylines, his being buried alive was the reason he changed from "The Deadman" to the "Ministry" 'Taker. It would make perfectly logical sense if he "died" again for him to come back as something Darker than BadAss with a coat

Not reverting back to Old School Taker is a good thing, because it'd be illogical. After 4 years of being 'normal', he suddenly does the whole routine again just because he spent a month in a coffin (which is pretty extreme I guess, but still.)

When looking back at previous storylines, his being buried alive was the reason he changed from "The Deadman" to the "Ministry" 'Taker. It would make perfectly logical sense if he "died" again for him to come back as something Darker than BadAss with a coat

One problem...it's not 1999, and Russo doesn't have the book.

You don't change your whole personality and suddenly forget it again and revert back to 5 years ago.

And he is more than BadAss with a Coat. Re-watch the match. He starts out as the Taker he was before the burial, but it's spliced with old school Taker mannerisms and moves. It's a less in-your-face change...and it's smart, because they haven't just said 'forget the last 3 years, we'll bring back a gimmick from 1990.' HybridTaker is, in kayfabe, more versatile than MMATaker or DeadmanTaker.

Guest Jimbo

I don't care if he uses the MMA style, so long as he does the freaky sit up and dresses the part, the new "old" 'taker is cool by me.

unfortunately, having a deep sun tan, short'ish hair, not dying the facial hair, wearing the Badass's clothes, etc. pisses me off.

For Chrissakes, he looked more evil and deadman'ish when he first came in with the trenchcoat and bike at Judgement day a few years back.

So disappointing.

I will say this...

I like the fusion of Undertaker's.

Taker is probably the only character that could pull off being multiple versions of himself at once.

For example...picture Ed Leslie trying to be Beefcake, Booty Man, and Zodiac all at the same time.

Guest Ram

I would have prefered it to be different since the character is more than just the mannerisms. I think the skin color and attire really contribute (as does the hair since Taker's natural is reddish). If he had let the beard grow out some and dyed it black, wore something other than "black tanktop and leather pants", and had not gotten so tan, I think I could enjoy it a lot more. Otherwise, this Taker fan is disappointed. :(

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I for one...actually dug what they did with Taker.

For the first time in as long as I can remember...he looked like a badass coming to the ring.

I feared they'd try to stick the lame costumed Taker into the current WWE...but I'm happy with what they did.

They combined his two looks...

Hopefully...this will be his farewell tour.

Agreed

Taker is probably the only character that could pull off being multiple versions of himself at once.

Agreed. It's like Hogan in a way.

Red, White, & Blue Hogan is kind of tacky, especially in a day and age where over cliche'd international villain heels can't make it out of the midcard. While it's cute for one or two matches, and there's no denying that the whole Hulkamania thing was over, he quickly looked like a clown when guys like Shawn Michaels stepped up.

Then you have "Hollywood" Hogan, which was a lot more interesting and actually was an image capable of making the old fart look like a cool dude, even if he was still doing the same old shit. Also, he's stuck strictly as a heel in this role and usually has the weight of the NWO name and stable. Bischoff tried a babyface Hollywood in the New Blood shit and it didn't work.

That's why Undertaker is a lot more versatile. Not only do all his characters work either as a face or a heel, but now he's managed to take the most popular bits of both characters and weave them together.

You'll never have Hollywood Hulkster talking about vitamins and Hulkamania while wearing black & white. Or at least it's not going to get over.

I will say this...

I like the fusion of Undertaker's.

For example...picture Ed Leslie trying to be Beefcake, Booty Man, and Zodiac all at the same time.

Foley could have probably pulled of DudeKind, a mixture of Dude Love and Mankind.

Oh, and I said that it would have been funny if Taker came out on his bike, and really he might as well have.

And I like the term "UnderFunker"..cause that pic that was posted, he looks (from the top part) like Terry Funk.

So, how the hell is Hellbillytaker going to cut promos? Will Bearer do it in the old style? Please don't tell me he'll be talking about his "yard" and "respect" again.

What number gimmick is Super Re-Dead Undertaker II Revival?

Lessee...original, Zombie, Lord of Darkness, Ministry, ABA, is this Undertaker V-Six-uh?

Jobber: You're point's KINDA valid...though one could argue that his most recent WWE run was a combination of Hollywood and Hulkamania...

They kept the Hollywood thing tacked on for no good reason, but he was Hulk Hogan once WM18 week passed. By the time he came back for 19, they dropped the Hollywood label.

I'm thinking more of Great American Bash, where Hogan fought Billy Kidman, as a face, in his Hollywood Hogan duds. Everything but the spraypainted tee. Crowds were pretty unresponsive, even for 1999 WCW,

Guest godofdeadlydeath

I personally thought his entrance was kick ass, and the little changes they've made to update him (and yes, they HAVE made changes, he is NOT THE SAME... unless you are blind and were judging the match by the sound of the moves, which would require a lot of talent, I must say) were great, IMO. Paul Bearer was awesome, the druid entrance = awesome, and his more aggressive style combined with the dead man comeback was awesome as well. I'm glad the crowd popped huge for him (and don't say it died down during the match, that's so not true, even when he went for the last ride people went nuts) and for the tombstone, because like it or not, he deserves it.

PS as you can tell I"m a little biased as an Undertaker fanboy since the age of 7, but still...

Guest Anglesault

That was updating him?

It was combining the classic deadman with the crappy redneck biker, throwing it in a blender, hitting "mix" pouring it out and just sending out whatever the result is.

Guest godofdeadlydeath
That was updating him?

It was combining the classic deadman with the crappy redneck biker, throwing it in a blender, hitting "mix" pouring it out and just sending out whatever the result is.

I wish I had one of these magical "wrestling gimmick blenders", I'd create the ultimate combination of The Ultimate Warrior, The Big Show, Kurt Angle, and Randy Savage circa 1987 and he would be unstoppable! (And very, very brightly colored)

I marked the fuck out for Bearer, but was somewhat dissapointed with the whole look. I thought he should have come back with his 1998-99 attire, because it just looked stupid with Taker coming back with the exact same look but the old Dead persona.

I thought it was Terry Funk at first coming through the torches. ;)

Nah, seriously though, it was a weird but a nice blend of the American Badass with his classic Phenom mannerisms. The entrance was superb, but he could have at least worn the gray gloves.

I thought it was Terry Funk at first coming through the torches. ;)

I thought the Terry Funk thing as well...pretty strong resemblence, just a bigger version.

I have a much better entrance for the New Old Undertaker.

The ominous music plays...Paul Bearer and the druids come out, smoke fills the platform while the gong sounds, and then the music change to...

"YOOOOOOUUUU ARRRRRE SOOOOOO....GOOD TO ME...."

Then Undertaker comes prancing down to the ring dressed like Adorable Adrian Adonis, flinging rose petals from a basket as he goes.

Now THAT'S re-inventing your character.

have a much better entrance for the New Old Undertaker.

The ominous music plays...Paul Bearer and the druids come out, smoke fills the platform while the gong sounds, and then the music change to...

Then Undertaker comes prancing down to the ring dressed like Adorable Adrian Adonis, flinging rose petals from a basket as he goes.

Now that would cause chaos, riots, the burning of Titan Towers, and Vince dead in the corner of his locker room from stab wounds.

have a much better entrance for the New Old Undertaker.

Now that would cause chaos, riots, the burning of Titan Towers, and Vince dead in the corner of his locker room from stab wounds.

Yeah, I can't see a down side to that idea either. :headbang:

The "new" phenom Undertaker looks stupid. He looks like the character that John Turturo plays in "Secret Window". All of Hooter's marked out like a schoolgirl (I kind of did, seeind the druids), however my friend and I were like "what the fuck? he doesn't look different".

It wasn't that bad. He started showing some signs of the old character when he turned to the referee and the ref jumped out of the ring and ran for the hills. :D

Also, props to Kane for his big grinning reaction to the no-sell of the kick. "Ah, no. Hey man, my bad."

They just need to evolve it over time, let his hair grow out longer, and slowly move him out of stuff like the biker gloves into the more usual clothing.

I think people are jumping the gun by saying that he is is still the same. He will not be talking much, yelling "Old School" or anything else during a match, won't be riding his motorcycle to the ring, or doing his taunts to the crowd. He had the cold stare, sit-up, and slow entrance. He did the thumb across the throat gesture as well to signal the Tombstone. I like the look as well, but I would have made two or three changes. I would have kept the fingerless padded MMA gloves he uses, only made them gray or purple. I would have made the Taker symbol gray or purple, and I would have had the shirt be a sleeveless or have him wear a button up vest during his entrance then remove it before the match.