TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HVilleThugg

State of the Fed Thread

As for the random attacks...

The key to making it work is respect, trust, and not being stupid. Personally, I trust the people here not to make the show look bad, which it would if Jake attacked Coy with a pipe before his match, but then the match had no mention of it. People would be smart about it and make sure the timing was appropriate for such an endeavor. And if someone is involved, then drop them a line letting them know what you want to do. But, for example, I should be able to make my return on the next show and chokeslam IL through a wall without fear of being flamed. And if, for some reason, someone does this and it didn't work or it messed something up...just no sell it. Pretend it didn't happen. This IS fantasy after all...and we can very easily pretend it didn't happen....or adapt. There was so much adaption back in the day...where people would just watch their angles grow and shrink and change based on other things happening in the fed.

As for the time thing...

We do have someone that's around "most" of the time...and that is Z. Like I said...I can only speak personally...but I'm pretty sure Z is available most of the day. And, I am "around" all day usually...I"m just at work, so I can't spend more than a few minutes on a post before I have to get my work done.

Da "wooly" H

In an ideal world, it'd make sense if we had a British member of CC, to cover the time difference. And I guess an Aussie member to cover that time difference too. That way we've got all bases covered.

I think you are all making this far too complicated.

In general, I booked for feuds. If someone was in one, I tried to book matches that could let the feud develop without giving away the big end. If they weren't in a feud, I tried to put them against someone else not in a feud so maybe they would start something.

Here's one thing we need to remember through all of this:

It is not CC's responsibility to find your character something to do at the PPV.

I mean that. What is happening above, where people are suggesting that CC keep track of things, will never work and, in my mind anyways, undermined the fundamental law of the SWF: The writers control the character.

Do I see a solution? Sure. Three words - "Simplify, simplify, simplify". Remember back in the day when there were hardly any promos on shows? Remember when most storyline development happened in board promos? I think that is something we need to get back to. To the days where every promo wasn't a 4000 word epic in three acts. People talked shit, people attacked each other, pranks were played...

and it was fun.

Thoughts?

Well said Mark...well said!

That's kind of what I wanted to say without coming out and saying it. I believe, like Mark, that is not our responsibility to give you all direction. However, on the flip side...if people don't have direction, they may just quit cause it's not fun anymore. Then our fed will die...and I don't want to see that happen. So, while it's not our responsibility...I want to do something to keep this fed going and getting stronger...and if that means we have to point some people in the right direction, then maybe we have to do that.

But, I think we all need to look at what Mark said and think about it. The reason this fed was great before was its spontaneity. You never knew what would happen. Board promos...random attacks...you just never knew. So much is planned out in this fed now, that it's rather boring to be honest...and it leaves others with no direction and no place to look for direction. I think we could all benefit from less of the 6 month epic angles with amazingly subtle stuff happening, and more of do it right now and just blow the roof off. I mean, for example...instead of taking 4 months for Duran to leave the UNnamed...leave now! Just shock the shit out of everyone. Because the fact is...if you take 2-3-4 months to do it...no one is gonig to care that much.

But that's just my opinion.

Da "this is going great" H

Here's one thing we need to remember through all of this:

It is not CC's responsibility to find your character something to do at the PPV.

I mean that.  What is happening above, where people are suggesting that CC keep track of things, will never work and, in my mind anyways, undermined the fundamental law of the SWF: The writers control the character.

Um. Slam, when we speak of a Listing Thread For Feuds And Such, we're saying all CC does is this:

Alan Clark ------> Feud. Last match was against Maddix, Coy and Annie for the USJL Championship at last PPV. Maddix and Clark's feud is still on-going.

Edward James -> No Feud. Returning writer whom is in a bad slump, so no-showing happens often with him. Last match was against Johnny Dangerous in a rematch at last PPV.

Stuff like that. You just say who's available and who's not. That's it. You don't try hooking us up together, we still do that. You can make suggestions, because you want to get us more involved, but that's about all. Maybe you could even put up the booking schedules for people here as well, to let CC have a one stop "shop" for looking and seeing who can and can't attend.

Edit: Why the hell did I originally think I was responding to Thugg?

Edited by Lightning Flik

I mean, for example...instead of taking 4 months for Duran to leave the UNnamed...leave now! Just shock the shit out of everyone. Because the fact is...if you take 2-3-4 months to do it...no one is gonig to care that much.

But that's just my opinion.

Da "this is going great" H

And then if we start doing that, we end up going all out for the "shock" factor and we end up in the freaking slump of what can we do for "shock value".

I agree that taking 4 months to leave is kinda draging it out, but if everything happened monthly, we'd get no great buildups or rivalries that we can actually remember. Or something that shook the very foundations of the SWF, because it actually had significant meaning to build up to that point.

I'm not saying that shock factor isn't a great idea, and it works quite well. But you can't have some things not getting some buildup.

Yes, CC need to be kept informed of feuds.

And I'm not personally for the whole 'attack who you want, and watch fueds grow' points, because that could easily get out of control.

Same for the opinion on 'long, drawn out feuds' being bad. I personally would rather have long feuds with people than crush everything into a month and have the result look like something from Russo's notebook. WC and Ejiro's feud wasn't like that, Flesher/Frost wasn't like that and neither have the numerous other feuds which escape me right now.

Hell, my turn was developed over about 5 months. If I'd have just said 'screw it', and turned as soon as me and Todd spoke about it, the impact wouldn't have been the same.

This is the most active I've seen this folder in about a month. Good job.

I don't really have any thoughts either way, except that I hope the continuation of Clark/Maddix becomes soemthing like Flesher/Frost or WC/Ejiro ...or something like that.

But right now...I have to shiver in my boots about writing against Taamo. *hides*

You know the problem with shock angles?

Why should you ever trust anyone with more twists and turns that an old extension lead? I mean, someone that stabs people in the back (be they heel of face) every five mintues for almost no reason other than a storyline pop and shock....are you gonna trust them?

But if the change is slow, built, and has reason, it's another matter. Not saying fast turns can't work, but really. Plots Not Spots. This is a Smarks e fed after all.

Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I ever consulted a guy in advance when starting a feud... :huh:

Maybe some of you guys can help me refresh my memory; Johnny, you don't count.

EDIT - And who needs plots when you write kick-ass spots, anyway? :P

Exactly Dace, exactly. We're looking to have fun...but at the same time, we're here trying to write the best shows, matches and angles possible on our level...which, after all, is a Smark's level. Good job on bringing up Plots Not Spots before I did too. :P

Personally, I don't see the fed being in that big of a rut...at least from where I'm sitting. Certainly not a crisis that needs some sort of total shake-up. Changes need to be made to EVOLVE the fed rather than turn it on it's head.

Dace that is what I was trying to say about shock value, so thanks for getting this down.

This is the most active I've seen this folder in about a month. Good job.

Just who exactly are you giving credit for that "good job"? Thuggy should probably get it for starting this up. So Thuggy, thanks for doing so.

Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I ever consulted a guy in advance when starting a feud...  :huh: 

Maybe some of you guys can help me refresh my memory; Johnny, you don't count.

Back in the IGNJL, I almost always consulted with everyone before I did anything because I wanted to make sure that whatever I did applied to the greater of the whole. Gave me a little more self-purpose.

Thanks Maddix. And yer, the fed isn't that bad. We just need to really get on the new talent case. Like looking at other message boards to farm from.

As for the spots WC...when I start Space Station Dropkicks (Missile Dropkick on an opp as they're in mid air from a top rope move) from you, I'll be impressed. Can't just have the same shock spots over and over either. Just like storylines.

They don't have to get bigger and bigger, just new.

EDIT: This is just my personal view, but this does show we have clear different sides to this fed. Probably a good thing as well.

That sounds like a good way to do things, Flik, and I've probably done it before, I just don't remember doing it... I don't remember specifically talking to Ejiro before our feud got started and asking him if he wanted to work together; During my first "reign" as Hardcore champ, I don't specifically remember telling Janus that I was going to put him over by putting me out with a major injury; I just sort of did it... During my second, more noteworthy run with the belt, I don't specifically remember asking anyone in advance of any of the "micro-fueds" that I did which lead to title defenses (Duran and Janus spring to mind immediately), and as previously stated, I didn't consult either Todd or Landon in advance of our Tag Team Title program; I just wanted to work with them, so I did.

Which isn't to say that the way that I do things is necessarily the way to go... :huh:

Thanks Maddix. And yer, the fed isn't that bad. We just need to really get on the new talent case. Like looking at other message boards to farm from.

Whatever happened to Zack Malibu saying he was interested in joining in the future. Someone needs to get on his case about becoming on of us.

*chants 'One Of Us' ominously until everyone backs away*

... As for the spots WC...when I start Space Station Dropkicks (Missile Dropkick on an opp as they're in mid air from a top rope move) from you, I'll be impressed...

I'm going to return at Genesis just to do this to you, Dace...

Actually, back with my first e-fed that's how I did it. I made things happen. It wasn't a bad way to do things, but a ton of people in the e-fed were absolutely pissed off that I basically jumped the que and was doing stuff that took a year at least to get to (I was pretty much like how Brock Lesnar was), so I've been on my heels (no, pun was intended) to make sure that doesn't happen. Becuase I don't like making people angry with what I do.

In responce to WC...

...I think we need to merge the two ways of doing things together. Stuff like cutting promos on people and minor confrontations should pretty much be open game for shows.

Major things like planned attacks on people, joint promos and concerts (for example) would be best planned out in most cases, to avoid possible problems.

If both sides are fine with playing feuds by ear on all counts, it should be encouraged. But still...it's down to personal opinion I guess. I'm easy going on the Rando feud...but I'd prefer notice on attacks and major feud/plot changes, so it doesn't counter anything I'm planning. Others, like you, have your ways...which is fine.

Anyway, rambling again...

Whatever happened to Zack Malibu saying he was interested in joining in the future. Someone needs to get on his case about becoming on of us.

*chants 'One Of Us' ominously until everyone backs away*

Malibu is pretty much in charge of OAOAST, so I doubt he'll have the time to join us. As well, I think he's sorta tied up with work and with OAOAST being solely his now (since the ol' guard left OAOAST to him), I doubt he'll be over here any time in the near future, or at least until he is absolutely finished with OAOAST.

The reason this fed was great before was its spontaneity. You never knew what would happen. Board promos...random attacks...you just never knew. So much is planned out in this fed now, that it's rather boring to be honest...and it leaves others with no direction and no place to look for direction. I think we could all benefit from less of the 6 month epic angles with amazingly subtle stuff happening, and more of do it right now and just blow the roof off. I mean, for example...instead of taking 4 months for Duran to leave the UNnamed...leave now! Just shock the shit out of everyone. Because the fact is...if you take 2-3-4 months to do it...no one is gonig to care that much.

Thugg - I know I've been arond about a milisecond, but when i joined you were attacking the JLers without warning. Which was fine and dandy, and you defended your actions well - until you completely no-sold Spike's promo on you in favour of working a pre-constructed angle with Rando. At one point I'd just wrestled Rando as a face, and since my character has a major inferiority complex plus (at that time) was a nice face guy, he'd have been quite up for helping fellow nice facy guy Clark go up against the evil giant Thugg (even just in a "wishing him luck" type way), but Rando told me you and he had it all planned out.

So basically, it was OK for you to attack Spike in a "it's spontaneous" way, but as soon as anyone else tries it with you it was a "sorry, I've got plans" thing.

Which is the major problem with things like that. Like all wrestling, it's all fine until someone isn't selling for someone else.

Plus - bring on the long angles, as long as they're done well. Something like you and Rando; you hate each other. Fine, fight, someone wins, worked well. A character development like Duran leaving the Unnamed - needs to be done more subtly. The only reason I turned as sharply as I did was because we had only one writing heel outside of the Unnamed, and Zed felt it'd be beneficial to the fed if I did it. Otherwise Toxxic would still be a smiling face now.

This is a Smarks e fed after all.

See...that's the thing...it's not. Or, at least it wasn't until we got here. But all valid points.

Da "more when i get home" H

From my position of hiatus-and-thinking-about-new-angles

I *HATE* random backstage attacks on me. I had a ton of shit with it in the GFWA. When the Haka Boyz were tag champs every man and his dog threw backstage attacks at me (Including one team twice) and it got horribly, HORRIBLY out of control.

Flip side is, I've planned better angles here than I've ever done elsewhere. Everything from my turn on Dace forwards has been planned in advance by me and the other parties, and EVERY backstage attack (count so far is seven I think) was asked for in person.

That covers my turn

Va'aiga vs Danny I

Va'aiga vs Janus

Va'aiga vs Danny II

Va'aiga vs Grappler

...and essentially the whole Trinity/Unnamed angle (and the funky character development stuff with Teebs), BEAUTIFULLY planned and executed by all involved. All sorted on the boards and in MSN/AOL/SWF Chat Room chats.

So if you want to beat each other up backstage and put some shock value in it's cool, but i'd be as shocked by Jake thwacking Coy with THE PIPE~! whether it was planned or out of the blue. All I know is that I liked the way lariatting the Eel came off, and Frost'll confirm i asked him.

Thugg - I know I've been arond about a milisecond, but when i joined you were attacking the JLers without warning. Which was fine and dandy, and you defended your actions well - until you completely no-sold Spike's promo on you in favour of working a pre-constructed angle with Rando. At one point I'd just wrestled Rando as a face, and since my character has a major inferiority complex plus (at that time) was a nice face guy, he'd have been quite up for helping fellow nice facy guy Clark go up against the evil giant Thugg (even just in a "wishing him luck" type way), but Rando told me you and he had it all planned out.

So basically, it was OK for you to attack Spike in a "it's spontaneous" way, but as soon as anyone else tries it with you it was a "sorry, I've got plans" thing.

Which is the major problem with things like that. Like all wrestling, it's all fine until someone isn't selling for someone else.

Actually...that's exactly my point. What's wrong with how that went down? Did it ruin someone's angle. Had Spike gotten to me first, I probably would have had an angle with him. He was just a little late...and I already had something going on. It's not like I was trying to dis him or anything...i was already busy with rando.

The point is...he tried...he called me out...and it didn't work out. What's the big deal? I got away with attacking him...so what? I would get attacked all the time back in the day, and either I got them back for it IC, or I ignored it and no sold it like I did to Spike. What's the problem with that.

I think a lot of it boils down to I think people take this way too seriously sometimes.

But, be that as it may, if we can...let's get some more ideas going to make the fed better. We've had a ton so far, and all of them are real good.

Da "just saw this at the last second" H

Most people could have posted a promo building a feud with the same amount of words it took to complain and bicker.

Good work.

Guest Evolution
I don't specifically remember asking anyone in advance of any of the "micro-fueds" that I did which lead to title defenses (Duran and Janus spring to mind immediately)

I don't remember ever feuding with you WC. The farthest we feuded was just having two matches in a series of about three matches, and that was just me going for your Hardcore Title match.

Outside of this, we've had a little "feud" between us over me comparing you to Crash Holly, but that's it.

Anyway, is something going to come out of this in the near future?

By "micro-feud," I was referring to when I cost you in the World Title tournament, and the subsequent promo I wrote where you demanded revenge, and subsequently got a HC title shot. I wasn't talking about an actual feud...

I don't specifically remember telling Janus that I was going to put him over by putting me out with a major injury; I just sort of did it...

Actually, you did ask me. Dark Bomb onto a ladder, baybee~

he'd have been quite up for helping fellow nice facy guy Clark go up against the evil giant Thugg (even just in a "wishing him luck" type way), but Rando told me you and he had it all planned out.

that's more my fault then Thuggs, man... and I'm sorry. We had things planned out, and I wasn't sure how we would go about throwing in Spike or you without making the feud alot more complicated then we wanted it to be - which was working toward the PPV with Thugg fired (meaning the 'help' of others would be virtually useless) and to get over the fact that i was a little loose in the head (i think).

The "firing" really took out any kind of way to bring in others, which wasn't MY idea...but it was my decision to say "we have it all planned out".

Sooooo...I apoligize once again...but I knew it was going to be either you or IL that would turn heel...and IL wasn't exactly in the best of spirits to do such a thing.

Oh well...I suck.

----

as for making the fed better... well... I always took and take alot of crap for being very "self-involved" ...which I have calmed down on...but I am always looking for opinions in my writing, especially from those that have been around and know what is good and what is bad. I have a hard time getting better without knowing what I am doing wrong.

I would love to see one of the retired veterans take time out of their schedules and read the shows (just like everyone else should), and provide an OOC take on the writing side of it. I enjoyed having Frost around in the JL in my early days and he was a big help to me kicking no-show ass...but since then it has become hard for me to say "okay, I do _____ well...I think". I love the idea of writing emotion. Emotion is a keystone of the wrestling business and is something that is really hard to nail down without sounding too over the top or wooden or 'fake'.

Nobody here seems to have that problem as far as promos go, but those promos mean nothing if the matches don't back it up. Maybe nobody has a problem with the matches either...i'm just rambling endlessly...