TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HVilleThugg

State of the Fed Thread

Thugg, as for this being a Smarks fed, I was on about the writers, not the name or style. Most of us are deeply versed in it and care to write something far better in four weeks than the WWE pisses out in a year. Largely because we can produce better storylines and matches than the WWE ever has.

But not if we try to act like WWE or the the marking team looks for WWE style matches (but I don't even know if that's an issue at all, so that's neither here or there)

And if stuff is planned, we never have to do any of that stupid ignoring it ever happened stuff ala WWE either unless something cocks up in real life and things need to be on the back burner.

Well, most seem to have posted some good thoughts. I will agree with Mark though, it is not CC’s responsibility to find you someone to feud against. Doing so would wreck what this fed is about.

On the subject of long plots versus short ones:

The basics of my storyline that caused the epic Johnny Vs Wildchild feud and Genesis match was probably the most preplanned thing I have ever done. I wanted to start with a plot, a reason for Johnny to be there, and if I wanted to retire a good way for him to do so. However, making WC the ‘Mystery Man’ that Johnny was after was done only after I waited to long to go ahead with the story and by that time the original person had something else going. So a change had to be made, and there was one person willing to do it.

To make a long story short; by the time the entire story was done it had been stretched out over the course of a year. Using certain points as reference as to when actions happened, then adding things in to make it where the whole story was nothing more than a tag title feud with Justice and Rule Vs Wild and Dangerous. I thought I had an excellent thing, and when not a damn soul gave a shit or even noticed it was a huge let down… And I don’t think I would even care to do another plot on my own again.

So that’s the problem with a long one. A short feud like Tom Flesher Vs Ejiro Fasaki which lead to Ejiro becoming World Champ was a good short one. Man wants title, man gets shot and takes it, man wins, end of story. Same goes with Flesher Vs Wildchild. Too many of those can lead to a bad thing, as we will have nothing but the same crap going, so a good mix of long and short feuds/Angles/Storylines help to really round out the fed.

On another subject… but this seems to be more related to me than others, but when I am told that a certain match is not on my radar, but others who shouldn’t even have a radar for it to even be on, are getting the match, it kind of irks me. It seems to be more of a storyline type of situation that puts those people in those spots, but I think that at a certain point and place one should have to earn that match, regardless of their feud or storyline. There will probably be only one person who will actually know what I am talking about since I am being so vague with this subject, so If I confuse the rest, my apologies. I aim not to offend or start a war, I’m just saying my piece like Thugg asked for, then shutting my mouth.

Thanks! Im sure this entire post made no sense though, I'm much too tired.

but when I am told that a certain match is not on my radar, but others who shouldn’t even have a radar for it to even be on, are getting the match, it kind of irks me. It seems to be more of a storyline type of situation that puts those people in those spots, but I think that at a certain point and place one should have to earn that match, regardless of their feud or storyline.

*cowers*

Also, I agree that one of the vets providing us with in-depth feedback would be very beneficial to most people..certainly to guys like me, Rando, Aecas, Todd and Toxxic. So far, the closest to feedback I've had is either 'great match' or 'soon these will be owning you'..addressed to me and Todd.

We need people to read through our matches and analyse them as if they would a real match. It's not that much of a job if you're reading the show anyway...it'd be nice for one of the recently 'departed' CC guys or a lurking veteran to take the job up.

Okay so... after re-reading my first post after actually reading all the post in this thread I got more to say. Yes, I can here the groans already.

Anyway... On the subject of storylines and feuds, long and short and what not, its obvious that everyone has almost a different view on it. Thugg hates them drawn out, which is fine. However, we are here to have fun most importantly and if a long feud is what makes it fun for Dace, than so be it. A short one for Thugg, so be it. Nobody should be reprimended for which way they prefer as a nice balance between the both makes for a good atmosphere. Afterall, if we are here to have fun that doing what makes it fun for us should be the way to go.

CC, however should not have to even go so far as to HAVE to post a thread detailing whos got what, and who doesn't. It is not what they are here for, IMHO, CC should be hands off. Rather they should be here to coordinate and make some kind of sense out of all our charaters and plots, figure out where every one should be placed and turn it into a card for our shows. Not to mention being the judges on who wins and who looses.

If you want a storyline get off your ass and find one. You don't have to be in a feud to have a storyline, just make some goals as to what you want to accomplsih out of writting here and what will make it an enjoyable experience for you, and do it. Don't wait or expect someone to just say, "Here, Billy, go feud with Toxxic." Doing such ruins what this fed is about, which as Mark already stated, the writers have total control.

So... in a roundabout way, if the Fed is in a slump we as the writers have nobody to blame but ourselves for not producing Angles/Feuds/Storylines, or for some people MATCHES, etc. This Fed will only be as good as everyone makes it no matter what CC does... Unless of course CC really did have a glass ceiling in place and was screwing people over, which I don't see happening as they would be destroying their own fed. The point is not to expect CC to do anything more than they are doing right now, and I wish people would stop adding so much pressure to them. We have already lost King and Mark, we don't need to loose the rest of them too.

Anyway, if you all decide to make a thread about who needs a feud and start assigning them out, please leave Johnny out of it. I have plans on what I want to do, even if I don't know who it will be with or against.

</rant and rave>

The point is...he tried...he called me out...and it didn't work out. What's the big deal? I got away with attacking him...so what? I would get attacked all the time back in the day, and either I got them back for it IC, or I ignored it and no sold it like I did to Spike. What's the problem with that.

The problem is; you attacked Maddix, Maddix was fine with it. You attacked Spike, Spike was a little narked at how his character was treated, or that you didn't ask him if you could use his character like that. You defended your actions about things being spontaneous, then set up a non-spontaneous feud with Rando, no-selling Spike when he'd been talked round into using his narkedness into starting an angle.

Your argument is that if people don't like things they can just ignore them.

My argument is that if people are going to ignore them anyway, why not ask them first so we don't have WWE-style "disappearing plotlines" taking up space, and people (who might be taking it too seriously, but they are still active members of the fed and we NEED members) getting pissed off?

I'm gonna say this again... things are not as complicated as you guys are making them.

I think a good mix of one-off quick "WWE style" (as you like to call them, I would disagree with this assessment) angles and feuds with the longer, more detailed feuds is a great idea. I'vo done my share of both and they were both rewarding.

A parable, if you will: Two of the most talked about angles I've been involved in were pretty spontaneous. The whole Wilson v. Carnival thing was just a bunch of promos. Nobody asked anybody before they were written. We didn't send a bunch of PMs around asking if we could do stuff. We were rival stables, we board promoed the hell out of each other. I maintain that with the current climate of protecting your character, that would never have happened. Secondly, my retirement angle was thought up between me, Edwin and King in about three PMs, then we just promoed the hell out of it and worked it into every match we were assigned. People loved it.

On the other hand... we worked our asses off prepping for the "Commissioner Angle", planning out every detail. Which part got the most reaction? Edwin's return, something we threw together at the last second because Edwin wanted to be involved.

I'm not saying we can't do both Mark. But Thugg, to me it seems, has been making a big push for those WWE style angles. If he wants to work on fair enough. If other people do, good for them. But I and others don't.

I see this fed as I place to make great things happen that I can't see on the WWE ever and hardly see on other wrestling fed anymore either.

For your example, it's not completely fair as you've talking about the huge name in the fed, and that tips the scales. Had it been someone less famous and more recent, it might have been different.

As for protecting your characters, you more real you can make them, the more you can work with them and make people understand them, the better they will be. Look at the work done with Va'aiga. And how awesome all that story was and how he was built up.

It's fair enough to do what you want with people that agree with you, but we clearly all dont agree on one style.

We may very well be in a very different age of the fed, where people's general style leans more towards planning and working with people on characters and angles.

We're paintballing anyway. Throwing out big, messy ideas and we'll take up the small, good ones that stick and will work.

The problem is; you attacked Maddix, Maddix was fine with it. You attacked Spike, Spike was a little narked at how his character was treated, or that you didn't ask him if you could use his character like that. You defended your actions about things being spontaneous, then set up a non-spontaneous feud with Rando, no-selling Spike when he'd been talked round into using his narkedness into starting an angle.

Your argument is that if people don't like things they can just ignore them.

My argument is that if people are going to ignore them anyway, why not ask them first so we don't have WWE-style "disappearing plotlines" taking up space, and people (who might be taking it too seriously, but they are still active members of the fed and we NEED members) getting pissed off?

I didn't know that Spike was going to try and start an angle, and had I seen his promo before deciding to start something with Clark, I would have been feuding with Spike. Not to mention he did wait about 3 weeks before posting anything on it. But, all that aside...my point is really that it's not that serious. So Spike didn't get to do an angle with me because I had something else going on...so what? Hell, Spike could have even just written a board promo where he attacked me...and then I would have had to adjust my angle to fit what he did...or ignore it (I probably would have adjusted).

I think there are two things you are taking the wrong way right now. The first is about that particular situation. You're making it seem like I was some kind of HHH-style politician who did what I wanted with him and then didn't give him any opportunity to retaliate. But that's not true. Sure, I no-sold his promo...I did that. But that promo came 3 weeks after the fact and I was already involved. I could see if I was in an angle with Clark, and then attacked Spike randomly, and then no sold his retaliation promo. That wouldn't be right because then I would definitely be denying him the chance to get back at me. But that's not what happened. He had time to retaliate...but he just waited too long and I had already moved on to something else. Now, I will say this...I considered having a match with him after seeing his promo, but the writer behind HVT didn't have time to do matches. It was just unfortunate bad timing...and if you recall, I didn't have a single match during my entire angle with Clark. In fact, he did quite a bit of the promo work as well. So, the point is...you're making it seem like I denying him the chance the spontaneous feuds I'm preaching, but in fact, I didn't. There was a 3 week period between the time I attacked him and when he posted his promo, and during that time, I did something else.

The second thing is that I think you're taking me to the extreme. I'm not saying all promos and angles should be just random people writing random beat downs on each other. That would be chaos. I'm just saying that if I'm bored, I should feel comfortable writing a promo against someone. Now, perhaps throwing Spike through a glass door was a bit much for a spontaneous promo. For the most part, it could be just destroying someone's car...tallking smack...bitch slapping their girl...whatever. As long as you're not injuring the person you're attacking, i think it should be cool. Also, I think before it was easier to do these because most promos happened on the boards instead of the shows. Now it's hard to do a random beating because on a show, you don't know whats gonna happen. But, I should be able to write a board promo where I punch Mark Stevens in the face without fear of being flamed. Back in the day, if somoene had a problem with it...they just wrote a retailation promo beating the person who attacked him. And there, a feud was born.

But, anyway...I'm willing to concede the fact that these are different times and that this place is WAY more smarky than I enjoy, which is part of the reason I just can't write for this fed anymore. Not anyone's fault....but it's just the way it is. Different strokes for different folks. But I tell you...some of the best times were had without planning (Wilson's Meat Festival vs. Carnival, IGNWO vs. Anarchy, HVT vs. Magnifico, HVT/X/King)...at least for me it was.

Also, I don't see a problem with the "it never happened" theory. I think that's where we differ. While I do poke fun at the WWE for conveniently forgetting things ever happened, it's just not a problem for me. In fact, I only make fun of it when they choose to forget something that could have helped a current angle. I just don't think it's that serious.

Da "not really what I wanted this thread to be abuot" H

The only problem I have now with the attacking of other people is when it happens before a match and the participants of the match don't know that an attack is happening.  Like, if I get clobbered in the back of the head with a lead pipe, I can't imagine writing my match the same way I would normally since you know... concussions and such.

yeah, it's a bit late for this... but meh.

Ejiro, that kind of stuff only happened on teh promo pages durring shows back in the ol' JL, before we had our own board like here. Even back then people were holding off on attacks durring shows unless the two had talked about it.

But, Jake, people are too protective of their characters now, so I doubt it'll go back to the way it was.

can't blame me for trying though, Thuggumz ;)

but it's the same thing that Thugg said (eventually ;)) the fed was like 10 times more fun way back when no one gave a shit if their character got treated like absolutle dirt in a promo... that just gave them more incentive to write an even better comeback promo, and that's how almost 90% of the greatest feuds this fed have seen has gotten started. Now, you have to sit down with someone, and plan out every single thing that's going to happen... and you have to discuss how this angle will benefit each charater and stuff of that nature, when back in the days, whoever was the better matchwriter got the big push at the end, while the other character just moved on with life.

What was fun about that is you just didn't know what would happen next... Perfect example~ GoldenEye -VS- D-Red (this took place before the ML-JL split back on IGNboards)

D-Red posted an into promo with the usual stuff, taking shit about the locker room, calling everyone pansies, and things of that nature, and eventually called anyone out to face him. So, I took the reigns and replied, challenging him to a Tables match, and it took off from there. Six or seven promos later, He was powerbombed through a car roof, hijacked an ambulance, drove it back and confronted me at gunpoint, and it was a fkn blood feud... all before the first match. From there, we got the girls involved, and before long, we were both valet less... all with about 5 words spoken between eachother OOC. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't gone to the ML and disappeared ;)

What I'm trying to say, is that with that type of system, anything can happen. You can have a simple match, where let's say Tom cheats to pin Thugg turn into a whole series of spontaneous promos where Thugg attacks Tom, Tom humiliates Thugg, Thugg steals Tom's ride, Tom revelas that it isn't his ride, and in fact is Kings, then King gets all pissed and gets into it, and before you know it Thugg -VS- Tom -VS- King is main-eventing Genesis, capping a 6 month long Feud of the Year... all started because Tom cheated Thugg out of one meaningless win on a pointless Storm Match.

That's how it was in the old days... that's how this fed became what it is, and that's what made this fed so damn addictive for me back in the days... and I for one wouldn't be mad in the least if Jake got punked in the next promo I see on the boards. I'd just get pissed and write a damn good comeback.

rant... is done.

:cheers:

See to me, that just highlights the WWE style. I don't want to spend ages replying to random promos against me. I have a hard enough time finding witty things to say in real life, let alone trying to write them about a character I made with zero promo skill for that reason.

I guess it's how you want to treat the kayfabe world, as to how much does go on backstage between people. As fun is that system might be to some, it's not to others and vice versa with the planning.

To me, promos are for hyping a fued, hyping a big match/ppv. Calling someone out for whatever after action in in match. Or talking about injuires or nasty shit that have already happen in the ring.

I came here because I wanted to write wrestling matches. I came to a compeative match writing e fed because that's what I want. Not to write some throw shit at the wall and hope it works and no one noticed the bad stuf soap opera.

I think both stubbon and over protective sides have completely driven this into the ground. I can safely say I'm now just arguing to protect my point. Like all hobbies and fun paste times we're all here some something a little different.

You do what works for you with a people of similar attitude. Apart from that, this place works great.

Okay, so I've finally read this, and I suppose I should say my piece.

You know what? I think Va'aiga summed it up best. Do what works for you. This is how the fed functions, this is our 'system,' this is what makes it great. Seriously, I think a lot of the debating in this thread is pretty dumb: What the fuck IS a WWE-style angle? How is it different from the way most angles are done in the fed? Does it really MATTER if they're deep, winding storylines, or just simple, 'I don't like you, now I'm gonna' beat you up' stories? Seriously. At ANY time I've been a CC member, all I've ever asked is that people do more of whatever storylines they like to do, simply because it helps the fed along. This place is charmatic, and osmosis carries over into just about everything. If people do angles, more people will do them, and the fed seems rejuvinated. If people promo, more people promo, and the fed seems very alive. If people feel good about what they're doing in the SWF, then more people feel good and the fed excells.

Please don't tell me either of these two things, either: 1) That there haven't been any 'simplified' angles since Mark and Thugg's heyday. That's a lie--talk to Va'aiga, talk to Grappler, talk to Dace and Janus, or hell, even talk to Tom. People are led astray when a complex angle comes along, ala Kibagami/Edwin, and begin to think it's the direction the fed is taking. It's not. That kind of thing is the exception, not the rule, and no-one expect everyone to try and live up to it. This goes double for, 2) the idea that the fed has become more 'smarky.' This is so stupid. I continue to believe it's an excuse made by people who don't really like puro and saw that there was more submission wrestling and Japanese named moves in movesets, and began to believe that the fed was becoming too complicated for 'old school' or 'WWE' style writers to work in it. I'd like to kindly point any of these people to our last two world champions and tell them to STFU.

As far as CC helping with angles goes, I'm not opposed to it, but that's only because I've taken a proactive approach to being head booker, most of the time. If I see something that would help the fed, and I suggest it to someone willing to give the idea a try (ie: Toxxic turning heel), then so be it. I'll even be willing to help write things for it, if the need is there. However, this can't extend to all angles--it's not feisable. I still believe that stories lie in the hands of the writers, and I can only nudge them in certain directions most of the time. So there you go.

However, I don't think Flik's idea of a storyline thread of whatever it is is a bad idea, provided it actually increases the amount of people willing to do them, however they may do them.

Lastly, I'm not even going to touch on this idiotic debate about beating up other people's characters and how it can supposedly help angles. I will say, however, that Thugg... you sound like a huge ass trying to claim that you can get away with beating up on JLers, or anyone else, without their approval because it's 'spontaneous', but no-sell Holly's promo because, apparently, it was not. If you don't like it, just no-sell it? That's ridiculous. End of story.

-Z

Whee-ow.

I'm a little late coming into this, but...

1. I like the idea brought up earlier of a thread for matchmaking people with no current storylines. I don't think CC should be the ones responsible for doing it, but a springboard thread - open to posts like "Looking for a tag feud, PM me" or something would be peachy keen.

For the bulk of my career, my storylines were the Carnival's storylines, and when the Carnival wasn't doing anything, I wasn't doing anything. In between Carnival vs. IGNWO, or Carnival vs. Meat Fest, there were long stretches of Chris Raynor... doing... well, nothing really.

Now obviously, that was my fault for not organizing something. But I think it would've been easier had there been some way to know who was doing something and who wasn't. Best idea I could come up with was just randomly hit up people on AIM and ask if they had any plans, and most of them did, so a thread for the currently-between-storyline-people sounds like a good idea to me.

2. Also way back in the thread, it was mentioned that someone should be keeping track of contenderships. I was never screwed by this - though one time I became #1 for the US title twice in a row :P - but I do recall a few occasions where it did cause problems. So maybe pin a thread up at the top of the boards, "CURRENT CONTENDERS" or something, and just edit in the #1's whenever they change. If there's no "official" contender for a title (no #1 contender match has been held, for example), then whoever does the fed's rankings can put in the top two or three. Just a thought.

3. Grand Slam said a little something:

The whole Wilson v. Carnival thing was just a bunch of promos. Nobody asked anybody before they were written. We didn't send a bunch of PMs around asking if we could do stuff. We were rival stables, we board promoed the hell out of each other. I maintain that with the current climate of protecting your character, that would never have happened.

I be agreein'. It was all pretty much improv. Carnival vs. Meat Festival started with "Edwin has US Title, Wilson wants it". Wilson just tossed out a promo where he beat us up in a bar and threatened Edwin. Edwin fired back with one where we painted Thugg purple and buried them all in hotdogs. Then Wilson blew up FAO Schwartz. We never gave them warning and they never gave us warning, because we trusted Wilson not to have Spark wear lipstick, and he trusted us not to invent a relationship between he and the manatee.

I'm not saying you should all start dropping hot dogs on people - because if I return, I totally call dibs on that gimmick - but dueling promos kept both parties interested, and always gave us something to do. Rather than planning everything ahead of time and just waiting for the right times to do it, there was always something new, something fresh to respond to.

And... that's it!

G'night.

let's say Tom cheats to pin Thugg turn into a whole series of spontaneous promos where Thugg attacks Tom, Tom humiliates Thugg, Thugg steals Tom's ride, Tom revelas that it isn't his ride, and in fact is Kings, then King gets all pissed and gets into it, and before you know it Thugg -VS- Tom -VS- King is main-eventing Genesis, capping a 6 month long Feud of the Year... all started because Tom cheated Thugg out of one meaningless win on a pointless Storm Match.

Sure, that's one way to build a feud. If it floats your boat, go with it, but frankly it reeks to me of "Bang! I shot you!" "Nuh uh, my armor got it!" "These are special armor-destroying bullets." "But I've got a bulletproof vest on!" I'm not going to say it's bad to build a feud like that. I'd just prefer not to do it. Call it being "too protective" or whatever if you want. I just like doing it the other way.

"Bang! I shot you!"

"Nuh uh, my armor got it!"

"These are special armor-destroying bullets."

"But I've got a bulletproof vest on!"

"Well then, I'll go for a head-shot"

"Err...I'm The Terminator!"

"I've got your kids...I've got your kids."

*cue awkward silence*

Man, that'd be the greatest segment ever.

Lastly, I'm not even going to touch on this idiotic debate about beating up other people's characters and how it can supposedly help angles. I will say, however, that Thugg... you sound like a huge ass trying to claim that you can get away with beating up on JLers, or anyone else, without their approval because it's 'spontaneous', but no-sell Holly's promo because, apparently, it was not. If you don't like it, just no-sell it? That's ridiculous. End of story.

-Z

::sigh::

Dude...I am perfectly willing to argue these points with anyone, but what I am not going to do is accept personal attacks! I don't know why you, or anyone else, felt the need to personally attack me for my opinion, but I do not appreciate it. I do not know why my opinion makes me an ass, but I think your comments were rather uncalled for, rude, and misplaced in a discussion that had not once reached a personal level. It's not a stupid or "idiotic" debate if it's something we care about. If you have an opinion on it, then fine, but I don't think we need to take it to a level where you're calling a discussion we're having idiotic just because it is not important to you. We're all just arguing our opinions here...let's not make it personal.

As for the point, I think you have my point wrong. I recognize that Spike's promo was spontaneous, but at the time when he did it, I was already involved. I don't understand why no one can see that. He wrote it 3 weeks later...and I had already moved on. Perhaps you may not agree with the "ignore it if you can't do it" policy, but you have to at least recognize the fact that Spike did wait a long time before doing it, and that I was alreayd involved.

I'm willing to concede that we're all probably going to disagree on this forever. I think the point has been made that this particular subject is just a matter of individual preference, and will probably not be resolved unilaterally. I also concede that throwing Spike through a glass door was too much for the kind of spontenaity that I am talking about. The unwritten rule was always, never injure the person or do something that could injure them. So, I will admit that it was wrong for me to throw him through glass, but I do not think I was wrong for doing "something". I probably should have just punched him or threw him on a car like I did Maddix, but I do not see the problem with doing some act there.

I haven't read all the posts after Z's, but I do think we have strayed a little off topic here in this thread. I'm certainly willing to continue the discussion about spontaneous attacks if people want to, but I do think we're kind of exhausted it as far as potential for making the fed better. It sounds like there are people who want to do that, and people who don't like it. Those are hard opinions to change, so unless everyone is really intent on keeping this discussion going (which I am definitly game for), I think we'll just have to agree to disagree and move on to some other ideas to make the fed better.

Da "glad I didn't overreact" H

Edited by HVilleThugg

I had two thoughts:

(1) What if we created an account that everyone could have access to. For example, part of your joining-up acceptance e-mail would be the password to the account. Then we start a thred with that account and a list of feuds / angles? Then anyone could edit it.

(2) Or... we make it part of the stats thread. If you are looking for an angle or feud, post it in your stats. If you are tied up with something, just a "not available" is sufficient.

Thoughts?

(2) Or... we make it part of the stats thread. If you are looking for an angle or feud, post it in your stats. If you are tied up with something, just a "not available" is sufficient.

The first option frightens and confuses me. This one I like.

I think the question is...will people do it? If people will make changes regularly, it might be a way to go.

Da "back to the task at hand" H

Guest PimpDaddySarp

Hey let me speak on this.

Well I don't pay a huge amount of attention to what goes on here storyline wise anymore; I don't read the shows because I don't really have the time to but I do always check out the normal discussions which occur.

And they like, don't occur anymore. Other than this post for the most part these boards are dead nowadays. There does not seem to be the same camaraderie between the writers that there was when I was active; then again what do I know, you all probably chill in the chatroom a lot more. Regardless, the fed seems a lot different now and I think a lot of the reasons are the more advanced planning of angles and stuff...everything has to be perfect from each character's stand point.

Personally, I can't imagine this style being as fun (at least it wouldn't to me) as the fed was when I was active. Back in the day, what made the angles so cool was that you didn't really know how they'd end up. For the PDS/Rane fued, this is the pre-planning that took place:

JaysonG: "What do you think you'll do when you come back?"

PDS: "Well I want to turn heel. Maybe fued with Rane.

JaysonG: "Ok"

Now this fued was a blast for me because I didn't know what would happen myself. I would do one thing, he would do another, and we would have to react off of each other's work. As long as the workers involved respect each other's character, it really didn't matter if someone had permission.

I think this way is fun because of the fact that me, as Pimp Daddy Sarp, wasn't even sure what would happen. So I am being surprised as well, which makes it even more fun for me. Furthermore certain angles that are carried out during matches would only air if the match won. Therefore, the better match you wrote, the more likely your angle would occur as you wanted it to.

Where is the competition if everyone is involved in long, drawn out angles where everyone involved knows what is going to happen. Shouldn't those who perform the best get precedent on what angles get used? Even Joe Jobber can be in a magnificent angle if somebody else agrees to be in it with him. Back in the day what separated the stars and the jobbers was that the stars were better at thinking on their feet and creating enticing storylines through board promos, and then backing the angle up with an in-match angle...which would only count if your match won, so if you wanted the storyline to progress in your favor you had to perform well. Because if your opponent won, he may take the angle in a different direction and you would then need to react to that.

I think the fed was better off like this; now a lot of people seem really hung up on making sure their character is handled EXACTLY how they want. Stories are more planned out and while this may lead to better overall angles, who is going to care much other than the people involved when its all over 6 months later? Because who would have actually read everything involving it? With match lengths so long we needed to put a limit on them, and now promos stretching as long as a novella, who really reads all this stuff? So these planned angles probably don't get over as much because its honestly hard to keep that much interest in them.

Remember for the most part our fans are us. So we are only trying too please us. But a month here is probably like 6 months in "real" wrestling time; most writers retire after 6 months...how many of them will follow an angle that takes that long...in this format of wrestling, which leads to quick burnout for most of us?

Hell I usually got burned out writing my own match, much less reading every other match and angle that was going on in the fed...its a fucking lot of shit to read!!

Now I am not saying some planning is not necessary. It is, but not the WHOLE angle from start to finish.

I always viewed this fed as kind of 'real': certainly more legitimate than WWE. Imagine if WWE was real, and the wrestlers really didn't know what would happen to them from week to week, if they would win or lose or get jumped, or whatever. That's what this fed was like; you didn't know if you were going to win till you read the show; you didn't know what happened to your character till you read the show. That was this feds strongest point, in my opinion, and what made it so fun; it was a more real form of competition than the sport it was emulating. Now you have to worry that your opponents match might be like twice as long as yours when you write a match, and you also know generally what is happening to you character. You worry too much about what is happening rather than just letting it happen. Where's the fun?

I would like to conclude by saying to take all this with a grain of salt; I am not involved anymore so you do what is most fun for y'all. But these are my two cents.

Also, if you want more people to join, instead of talking about all things SWF in the chatroom, talk more on the boards. People would more likely to join if it actually seemed like this damn thing was still alive. One of our strongest points used to be the high board activity which attracted to people to see just what the fuck all these people keep posting for. When nobody posts on the board, there is nothing interesting to grab the attention of a potential newbie. Just a thought.

still pissed about getting Montreal Screwjobbed out of my World Title,

Pimp Daddy Sarp

Imagine if WWE was real, and the wrestlers really didn't know what would happen to them from week to week, if they would win or lose or get jumped, or whatever.

Ok...

...for a start, they'd all quit.

Shouldn't those who perform the best get precedent on what angles get used?

Wouldn't those who are at their best but aren't good enough to be on top just leave if they couldn't get a decent feud?

This whole spontanaity thing seems to keep cropping up over and over again. As long as it's played by ear WITHIN a sorted feud, I'm fine with it.

If I'm reading the show and seeing Maddix getting the crap beat out of him by someone and challenged to a match to the PPV from nowhere, that's when it starts becoming a more in-depth version of those threads with us all saying *gives Aecas a beltshot* or *piledrives Thoth*.

here's the thing, and this is the last I'll say on this as I think we are both way off track and getting a little cranky...

Both of these will work. If the spontaneous stuff didn't, the SWF wouldn;t exost right now. If the planned stuff didn't work, most of the recent angles wouldn't be as good.

the only difference I see is that this used to be a far more dynamic place with far more board promos than show promos. I liked that and I'd like to see things go back that way. But, if you don't want to do that... then don't.

Guest PimpDaddySarp

First, I said that respect needs to be used when using another's character. No piledriving somebody and demanding a title shot. That's ridiculous, and I would hope nobody would try something like that. And nobody I was ever matched up against ever did.

Second, use your imagination a little bit. The drawing point of wrestling are the characters and all I am saying that since we aren't really jumping each other, just writing, I personally find it more entertaining within the context of my character to be surprised by what happens to him.

Look if y'all want to spend however long in chat planning out a six month angle, then go for it. The evidence is that the fed has struggled a bit since that became the norm. Its too involving for anybody to read over that period of time other than those involved in it and won't get over as much. It leads to less spontaneity and thus less intrigue. Planning is good, it keeps thing organized. But there is too much of a good thing. Look how adamant y'all are getting over this. This fed seems to be causing a lot more stress to its workers than it used to and doesn't seem to be as fun anymore.

Nobody posts anymore. Entertaining threads are few and far between. Looking at these boards just isn't as fun as it used to be. I really think its because of all this structure. Part of the reason why this worked so well in the past was the craziness of it all...you never knew what was going to happen. Now, well nothing happens, unless you can flesh through thousands of words in matches and promos to figure out the angles.

Catching up to what's been going on used to be easy enough because everyone would post on the board and talk about it. Not anymore. Nothing is talked about here because everyone knows whats going to happen, nobody is surprised by their character or anybody elses because they just spent 6 hours in chat deciding what is going on.

If you want to write a book about your character, fine, and you can make him however you want him to be, put him the right angles, and lead him to the top.

But the great, lost thing about this fed is that while you are responsible for creating your character and leading him through the ranks, the most interesting characters grew out of the interaction that was largely unplanned. We grew so huge when had much less structure because for most, it was more fun. Once we got too structured, people start quitting, and the flow of newbies slowed. Not everyone has the patience to plan all this stuff out.

But for those of you who do, knock yourselves out.

Remember this fed started with a *scoop slam* and everything since that came out of nowhere...just people having fun.

I just love the way that PDS puts things. He is saying EXACTLY what I've been trying to say...and he's saying it more clearly than I ever could.

But, I also agree with Mark that we are getting a bit off topic...

Da "nothing to see here" H

If someone feels we need to go back to that style, then they'll try. Or people like you will come back and try. But right now I'd hope people are doing what they want to do because they like it.

I for one has no problem reading thousands of words. I relly should be talking more about it though, that's a big problem. As for the drawing point being the characters...definatly not true to everyone.

You know what's ironic.

The more I read this thread and the 'this fed isn't as fun as it used to be, things need to change' style posts, the less hyped I am about writing that concert. Not exactly inspiring stuff.

Well man, SOME of us want to read it because we know it'll be good.

You're here, you're writing, you're entertaining. And doing a damn fine job of it man.

Don't let them get you down.