TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Perfxion

1-95 closed due to Fiery blaze

From Wtnh.com Channel 8 ABC:

"(Bridgeport-WTNH, Mar. 26, 2004 Updated 12:38 AM ) _ A section of Interstate 95 buckled and partially collapsed after a fiery accident involving a tanker carrying 9,000 gallons of oil. The highway could be closed for some time.

Drivers should be prepared for an "extended closure of the Interstate highway in both directions," State Police spokesman Sgt. J. Paul Vance said.

The crash occurred around 7:45 p.m. in the southbound lanes. The truck was carrying 9,000 gallons of heating oil and went up in a big ball of flames, witnesses said.

"All of a sudden I saw the fireball go, like, I don't even know how high in the air," said Eric Levy. "I felt the building shake. it was like a shockwave."

It's not known yet what caused the accident. Both sides of the highway will remain closed until authorities know more about the integrity of the structure.

"This is a total disaster as far as traffic is concerned," Bridgeport Mayor John Fabrizi said.

"It will impact traffic in the Bridgeport area dramatically," Sgt. Vance said.

The section of the highway that runs over Howard Ave. suffered severe structural damage from the fire. The highway is bowed about five to eight because of the accident.

Gov. John Rowland was on the scene late Thursday night to personally inspect the damage to the highway.

Engineers from the Department of Transportation will have to inspect the bridge to determine how long the highway will be closed.

A Bridgeport Hospital spokesperson says the driver of the truck was listed in stable condition. There were no other injuries reported.

Mayor Fabrizi commended police and firefighters for their hard work in keeping people safe. "I have to commend the fire chief on his command, in assessing the damage that happend and keeping the fire under control, and fortunately there have been no fatailties," Mayor Fabrizi said.

That section of the I-95 carries 100-120,000 cars a day, Sgt. Vance said. Cars were diverting onto the Merritt Parkway, which is expected to be overloaded with traffic, and Route 1.

Commercial vehicles are not allowed on the parkway, but some trucks have been trying to travel the road anyway. State Police from Troop G have pulled over some trucks and removed them from the parkway before they got stuck.

Some of the oil from the tanker spilled into nearby Cedar Creek. Booms have been put in the water to control the oil, water and foam used to douse the fire.

The fire was not expected to affect train traffic. A Metro-North spokesperson tells News Channel 8 the tracks are a few blocks away from the fire scene.

United Illuminating reports there are no power outages in the area because of the accident."

1: All through traffic is now fucked to a little 2 lane parkway and that is going to be ugly. REAL ugly.

2: They been building/reconstruction around the bridge area of this overplass since 1989, this shit is fucking sad.

3: The fire got so hot that the streel Gurtters holding up the bridge was orange. The bridge may need to be removed, BOTH south and northbound.

4: From Hartford, this doesn't affect anyone seeing they can take 84 over to 87 down to the city. But from New Haven and such. You are fucked.

5: I heading on the train down to New York, this should make travel SO much fun.

That portion of I-95 that was taken out was in HORRIBLE condition, so no wonder the road got fucked up.

Looks like I won't be driving around from Long Island anytime soon; I'll have to take the ferry to get home.

This happen in the city next to the town where I live and the traffic on the back roads if rediculous!!!

Thanks.

Crap, it was only NEAR the town you live in?

I was so close!

This happen in the city next to the town where I live and the traffic on the back roads if rediculous!!!

Thanks.

Crap, it was only NEAR the town you live in?

I was so close!

Oh shut up. It really is pretty crazy though. We only have one highway now to go south on because that bridge was one of the most busy spots on the entire highway.

Thanks.

Guest Dids

I can't believe you guys no-sold one of the three posts Dames has made in the past month.

Drury, go play in traffic- per you there's enough of it where even you shouldn't have trouble finding some.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Anyone who lives and commutes with that kind of traffic is a nutbar anyway.

I can't believe you guys no-sold one of the three posts Dames has made in the past month.

Drury, go play in traffic- per you there's enough of it where even you shouldn't have trouble finding some.

The problem is that it wouldn't be going fast enough.

:lol:

That is just mean. You guys are all fucking dickheads that even serious stuff you guys just rip me for. To top that off you rip me for no reason.

Thanks.

That is just mean. You guys are all fucking dickheads that even serious stuff you guys just rip me for. To top that off you rip me for no reason.

Thanks.

That was an innapropriate use of "Thanks". It was almost as if you were thanking us for treating you like shit.

Thanks.

That was an innapropriate use of "Thanks". It was almost as if you were thanking us for treating you like shit.

Well if he's thanking us, we can do a whole lot more, right?

Gracias.

:lol:

Whatever. I was just saying that this is right near where I live and there is a lot of traffic and then I put in my tagline and I get a half dozen posts ripping me. I don't understand it.

Thanks.

Guest Dids
Whatever. I was just saying that this is right near where I live and there is a lot of traffic and then I put in my tagline and I get a half dozen posts ripping me. I don't understand it.

Thanks.

A- Nobody cares. What you said wasn't interesting in the least.

B- You sound like you're 10. I think this is because you are 10, which means you don't belong, or fit in here.

C- The "thanks" think is really stupid. This is a message board where people that like eachother still fight all the time. People would probably like you better if your tag line was "I'm going to fuck your sister".

D- A applies to everything you've EVER SAID.

How many times do we have to go over the tagline thing?

Thanks.

Yes, but a situation such as this may arise, where the tagline, normally rather ambiguous, becomes conspicuously innapropriate, detracting from the impact of whatever it was you had to say. In these situations, which I, unlike some other posters, trust you to recognize, it may behoove you to forego the 'Thanks'.

Guest Dids
If you just don't pay attention to the tagline the post sounds alright.  Oh and I am 16 not 10!!!

Thanks.

No your posts still sound like there were made by a 10 year old retarded 16 year old.

No, you pretty much suck all around.

#1: The name blows.

#2: We've already got people here who have numbers after their names, such as, oh, me. You're not being creative or original with it, plagarist.

#3: You bring nothing to the table with your posts. Often they are full of spelling, grammatical or factual errors, as well as being completely pointless.

#4: The tagline. We've gone over this before.

I still maintain that whomever taught you how to use the Internet should be drug out into the street and crucified.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Jesus would you people back off Drury? I know he's annyoing but you're ALL ruining a serious thread with this crap. Take it to HD if you hate him so much.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

it's a "serious" topid though IDRM.

And my thing is several posters I'm buddies with are borderline flaming Drury. I'd rather them not get banned over something ghey like this.

Just leave me alone and to clear up the questions:

1. The name is for Chris Dury who is a very good player in the NHL who is from the same town as myself.

2. 37 was his number at the time when I created the name.

3. We are talking about wrestling and other topics it is not english class.

4. I like the tagline.

Thanks.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
3. We don't care what you know or what you don't...as long as you can convey your point like a person who speaks English at a somewhat coherent and intelligent level. I'm not asking for perfection when it comes to spelling, grammar and punctuation, but it comes a long way in allowing the rest of us to understand what you're saying. If this becomes an issue, you can be banned due to mod’s discretion. This is a place where people come to unwind, have fun, and/or debate about certain topics. We don't come here to spend precious time translating posts from Stupid-to-English.

I won't repeat the same shit as everyone else off topic, so I'll just say...

Don't Care. I live around 1,000 miles away from Connecticut, but it probably sucks for people living there. (Shakes fist in anger at Dames reckless driving)