TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

If you were the commish

So with baseball starting in Japan, celebration rule changes in football and a drastic change in scoring in Nascar, people have been chiming in left and right about what should be done. So that essentially is my question. If you were the Commissioner or President of any sport, what changes would you make? This can range from age of participants, to rules of the game changes, celebrations, etc.

Hockey: Eliminate the Instigator Rule, two-line pass, offsides

Football: Let them celebrate however they damn please. Not everyone can score an NFL touchdown y'know

Baseball: Salary floor

Basketball: L.A. Lakers are people too.

Hockey: Eliminate center line, drastically shrink goalie pads (they were meant to protect, not assist the goalie)

Baseball: Salary floor, batters stay in the box, pitchers stay on the mound. No walking around for a minute after each pitch crap.

Basketball: Actually start enforcing existing rules

Hockey: Destroy the 2 Line Offside, the Instigator, the goalies pads geting shrinked, make sticks wood again, visors mandotorily impliment, obstruction must always be called (and refs getting fined for doing a shitty job of calling them), hurry up face offs (that actually are, you know, hurry up), and also not allow the goalie behind the goalie crease.

That's my personal changes I'd do.

Hockey: No instigator rule, impliment no-touch icing and ban trap-style defense. Smaller goalie pads. More severe penalties, fines, etc. for intentional injuries. Diving gets an automatic unsportmanlike conduct.

Football: Let them celebrate as they like. Ban former boyband members and pop hasbeens from the halftime show.

Baseball: The big rule: Hurry the fuck up! Relief pitchers pitch as soon as they reach the fucking mound, none of this 5-10 minutes of warm up pitches, they get plenty of warmup time in the bullpen. Pitchers also stay on the mound. Batters can't step out of the batter's box.

Hockey Take away the Instigator rule, no touch icing, no divisional rule that gets you automatically in the playoffs. Undo many things that Gary Bettman has done.

NFL: No fair catch, dance what you want to dance.

NBA: Hey, call carrying/travelling, raise nets 1 foot higher (maybe more)

No fair catch? That isn't a very good rule at all, unless you like seeing injuries.

I agree with no touch icing, just because it cuts down on the stupid "race for the puck" that sometimes ends with both players flying at top speed into the boards. It's uneccesary.

Baseball:

1. No more interleague play. I've never been that big a fan of it, mainly because outside of matchups like Cubs/White Sox and Yankees/Mets, who really gives a shit about playing teams from the other league? Plus, with no interleague play, you "separate" each league better, and (I know this sounds hokey) it makes the World Series better if the teams haven't played each other before. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, I don't know.

2. Bye-bye, designated hitter. Pitchers should bat, period. This would be a hell of a fight with the union though.

3. I'd consider doing away with the unbalanced schedule.

4. The team with the best record gets home-field in the postseason.

5. Change the All-Star game roster rules a bit. Roster size would be cut to 26 players. And I'd throw out the retarded "every team has at least one all star" and require only that the hosting team have at least one player on the team. Fans would get to vote on the starting pitchers for the game, too.

Guest Anglesault

Baseball: Absolutely a salary floor, and speed up the god damn pitchers.

MLB: Eliminate the DH. It's an obsolete rule that was meant to increase offense when pitching dominated the game. An influx of great young pitchers the last few years has curbed offense a bit but it's never going to revert back to the way it was in the late 60's and early 70's. The DH simply isn't needed anymore and having two different rules for both leagues is silly.

-Eliminate the Wild Card and go back to the two division format. Second place teams should not being winning the World Series, period. Oh and if they must have the extra round of the playoffs they should make it a seven game series.

-Put in an age rule for the Rookie of the Year similar to the rule in the NHL. All-Stars coming from Japan are not rookies.

-Elevate the Hank Aaron award to a real award voted by the writers rather than a p.r. award. The award's purpose is to give it to the best offensive player in their league (not necessarily the most valuable) but hardly anyone knows about it because Selig never intended to be anything more than a p.r. move. If it was made into a legit award maybe we wouldn't have had to deal with this A-Rod nonsense in recent years with the MVP voting.

-Public flogging of Bud Selig with Brewer fans getting the first shot at him. I wouldn't go around extorting cities into giving millionaire and billionaire owners new stadiums.

NBA: High school graduates can't turn pro for two years. Most NBA game's are completely unwatchable now and part of it is the dellution of the talent pool by having players come in too early. LeBron James was a very rare case but even I'd contend part of the reason he's been so succesful is the league simply isn't as strong as it was when Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant came in the league, both who struggled their rookie seasons. Also everyone talks about James but no one talks about the six other high school players who haven't done anything this year in the league.

-Increase scoring...some how. Games where both teams score in the 70's is not NBA basketball. It's so sad that it's become a rarity where both teams in a game score over 100 when just 15 years ago it was the norm.

NFL: A mass overhaul of the salary cap. Roster turnover every offseason is just becoming a joke and parity is getting out of hand. It should be made easier for team's to retain their own players as the cap is just too unforgiving. I'm almost in favor of just getting rid of the salary cap.

-15 yard penalties for celebrations after catching a 10-yard pass and making a simple fucking tackle. Celebrating touchdowns is fine, when your winning at least, but celebrating doing your fucking job on fairly insignificant plays is a joke. Automatic ejections also for these idiots who celebrate making a tackle on special teams.

NBA: High school graduates can't turn pro for two years.

Won't happen, as the NFL was ruled for age discrimination with their own age rule.

Hence, it'll never happen. Not unless you get that changed first.

-Elevate the Hank Aaron award to a real award voted by the writers rather than a p.r. award. The award's purpose is to give it to the best offensive player in their league (not necessarily the most valuable) but hardly anyone knows about it because Selig never intended to be anything more than a p.r. move. If it was made into a legit award maybe we wouldn't have had to deal with this A-Rod nonsense in recent years with the MVP voting.

You know I'm attacking this. An award for the best offensive player would not go to A-Rod, it would've gone to Carlos Delgado. The MVP itself is for strength of offense AND defense. Oddly enough, no where in the rules does it state the player must come from a winning team.

By the way, here are changes I WOULD make......

-The end of meaningless "goodwill" gestures, such as Jackie Robinson Day, opening day in Japan, and playing God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch.

-Fix the all star game. My suggestions.....

a. Reduce player rosters to 25 players. Play the game as you would a real game. 10 pitchers, and keep seven subs on the bench. Every team does it 162 times a year. I don't see why all star managers can't do it.

b. Restrict fan voting to the ballpark.

-Eliminate the Wild Card. Reduce number of divisions from six to four, and only division winners make the playoffs.

-Fix the current CBA. Stop basing revenue sharing on W/L records, and remove payroll taxes. Require teams to spend more on payroll than they receive via revenue sharing.

-In exchange for eliminating restrictions on player salaries, institute a loose steroid testing policy.

-Eliminate interleague play. If the division plan holds, keep the wild card.

-Shorten amount of commercial breaks in between innings.

-Negotiate a television contract which places the maximum amount of national baseball possible on television. Find a national broadcast partner more able to showcase the game, as opposed to a sideshow while they promote Skin.

-The end of meaningless "goodwill" gestures, such as Jackie Robinson Day, opening day in Japan, and playing God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch.

I hate having God Bless America played during the seventh inning stretch. It just grinds the game to a screaching halt. I'm at a game to have fun, not to be reminded of 9/11.

a. Reduce player rosters to 25 players.  Play the game as you would a real game.  10 pitchers, and keep seven subs on the bench.  Every team does it 162 times a year.  I don't see why all star managers can't do it.

But players don't want to play it like every other game which is the main reason why the "This time it counts" crap was so incredibly stupid. I think roster size they have now is fine as long as they get rid of the one player per team rule. Only the host team should have a player no matter what as the fans are paying big money to go to the game and they deserve to have one of their own to cheer for.

b. Restrict fan voting to the ballpark.

Yup or every year we will continue to have Ichiro and Matsui as starters regardless if they deserve it or not. You might as well pencil in Kaz Matsui as the the starting shortstop for the N.L. in this year's game because of the Japan vote.

-In exchange for eliminating restrictions on player salaries, institute a loose steroid testing policy.

Don't they have that now? Unless you mean increase it to "loose" rather than almost non-exsistant.

-Eliminate interleague play.  If the division plan holds, keep the wild card.

I should have mentioned this but I'd limit it to geographical rivals. I've been to the A's/Giants games over the years and that atmosphere is amazing and I think those match-ups are good for the game.

-Negotiate a television contract which places the maximum amount of national baseball possible on television.  Find a national broadcast partner more able to showcase the game, as opposed to a sideshow while they promote Skin.

Or better way to put it, get the game the fuck away from Fox. Every announce team they have is just brutal especially the Whoever that guy is with Steve Lyons. Also they need to have a half-hour pregame type of show for the national broadcasts to hype the game and other action for that day. Of course though get a real studio host, not Jeanie Whateverthefuckhernameis, and an analyst or two that isn't as big a moron as Kevin Kennedy.

Al, the commercial breaks are pretty short as it is for non-ESPN or Fox games. The pitcher does have to get his arm loose again.

Baseball:

I know it's unpopular and impossible, but I'd dump 10 teams and have 2 divsions in each league, a 5 game CS and a 7 game WS.

But since it isn't possible. I'd reduce the schedule back to 154 games, it's still fucking cold in Boston and many other places. This would allow the season to start a few days later.

Put playoff games closer together. No travel days, 1 day off for each series. I don't care if Boston is playing Oakland. Play fucking ball!

No leaving the batter's box. I dont' want to see some hitter walking around, I want to see him swinging the bat (or takign pitches).

Put a limit on trips to the mound. One visit from either the manager, catcher, or pitching coach per pitcher.

Force the pitchers to work faster.

Call the strike zone as it should be: Letters to the knees.

Dump interleague play. It was kind of cute at first, bit I don't want to see teh Sox play Pitt or the Brewers.

Drop or change the unbalanced schedule. 19 games is too many. I think I knew TB, TO, Bal, and NYY's roster's as well as the Sox's last year.

Create a 7 day DL. This way a guy who is sick or mildly ingured can get better, without missing 2 weeks or making the team shorthanded.

A manager who comes out to argue a call without being entertaining should be ejected. None of this "I just want to disucuss the call peacefully" bullshit. Kick dirt, scream, throw your hat, or a base or stay in the fucking dugout! Those guys should be ejected too, BTW.

Salary cap on players salaries. No player can make more than "x" amount. That way teams can still outspend others but the other team knows what the competition can spend. If the salary cap was $15 million a player, Giambi would still be in Oakland and A-Rod in Seatle and so on and so on. using the $15 million number the team max payroll would be $375 mil. Even the Yanks won;'t hit that until at least 2006. This would help certain teams keep their greedy free agents or show the team or the player for what they truly are. If Giambi had identical monetary contracts from both Oak and NYY and still went to NYY then it would prove he didn't want to stay, no money excuses, no "respect" horseshit.

Basketball:

Eliminate timeouts. They get a ton of tv timeouts, they don't need anymore.

Intensional fould should be punishable by ejection. I hate watching the end of a basketball game. It's all fouls and timeouts. Boring!

Stop calling ticky-tack fouls. An accidental slap on the hands shouldn't stop the game. Get rid of this charging and blocking shit too. Play ball! If you're scared to break a nail get off the court.

Football:

Eliminate timeouts, like basketball, they get enough as it is. The last five minutes of a football game takes over 20 to get through. It's annoying.

Hockey:

People watch Hockey?

Al, the commercial breaks are pretty short as it is for non-ESPN or Fox games. The pitcher does have to get his arm loose again.

Not for as long as the breaks are. Although my main beef is with unending commercial breaks after every pitching change. This is especially bothersome when a manager becomes obsessed with the platoon advantage.

I know it's unpopular and impossible, but I'd dump 10 teams and have 2 divsions in each league, a 5 game CS and a 7 game WS.

First off, you kill your business in ten markets. I can not imagine any successful business closing shops when they draw real business. Also, I disagree with the 5 game Championship series. Baseball is such a random sport that it needs long playoff series to determine a real winner.

But since it isn't possible. I'd reduce the schedule back to 154 games, it's still fucking cold in Boston and many other places. This would allow the season to start a few days later.

On one hand, no sympathy for travel days, but on the other hand, sympathy for 40 degree weather? How about this compromise. Keep the 162 game season, and start it slightly later by scheduling doubleheaders.

Salary cap on players salaries. No player can make more than "x" amount. That way teams can still outspend others but the other team knows what the competition can spend. If the salary cap was $15 million a player, Giambi would still be in Oakland and A-Rod in Seatle and so on and so on. using the $15 million number the team max payroll would be $375 mil. Even the Yanks won;'t hit that until at least 2006. This would help certain teams keep their greedy free agents or show the team or the player for what they truly are. If Giambi had identical monetary contracts from both Oak and NYY and still went to NYY then it would prove he didn't want to stay, no money excuses, no "respect" horseshit.

First off, free agents are not "greedy." Second, I think Oakland was perfectly happy to let Giambi leave. Third, if NY offers the max, the player will go to NY for the "prestique," and we have the same problem we have now. Baseball didn't have a problem with the Yankees until they tried fixing it. Then it all went to hell.

-Negotiate a television contract which places the maximum amount of national baseball possible on television. Find a national broadcast partner more able to showcase the game, as opposed to a sideshow while they promote Skin.

World Series 2003: HER FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!

Guest Anglesault
-Negotiate a television contract which places the maximum amount of national baseball possible on television.  Find a national broadcast partner more able to showcase the game, as opposed to a sideshow while they promote Skin.

I thought it was his father? :P

I thought it was his father? :P

I think it was her father that was the district attorney.

Stop basing revenue sharing on W/L records

Out of curiosity, what would you base it on? Actual revenues brought in by a team, like ticket sales and local TV contracts? Would you include concession sales and parking and things like that, too?

Or something else completely different...?

Guest Redhawk

NBA: I would implement a real minor league system, with each team having it's own "AAA" team in close proximity to that team. For example, the Seattle Sonics would have a minor league team in Tacoma or Spokane, the Boston Celtics would have a team in Foxboro, etc.

And while the NBA Draft remains two rounds, the minor leagues have a two-round draft as well. So for every high school player who doesn't want to go to college -- those guys who go into the draft or just stay in school for a year and treat college like an extended pre-draft camp, they can just cut the bullshit and go pro. If the NBA teams think they're good enough, they'll draft them, with the option of sending them down to the minors (they can also send veterans to the minors whenever, just like in baseball). If the big club doesn't draft them, the minor league club will. Either way, the HS players who really WANT to go to college will still go, and the ones who don't really want to ever go don't have to pretend they are interested in school.

I think this would allow some of these teenagers to be more polished when they come into the League, and college basketball would be better off without all the pretend student-athletes on campus.

MLB: Just hurry the hell up, like everyone else has said. Stay on the mound and in the box. I'm sorry, but Nomar doesn't have to do that stupid routine he does in between every pitch in order to stay focused.

NHL: I'm a hockey retard. Can someone tell me what the instigator rule is?

NFL: None of these rules to protect QBs and kickers like they have brittle bones. If a QB throws a pick, you can take his ass out like he's Chad Clifton, with no fines or penalties. I agree that you shouldn't be able to just destroy the kicker, but allow way more leeway on the "running into the kicker" rule. If a guy was really going for a block, he shouldn't be penalized for diving and the kicker's leg getting brushed.

Boxing: One title belt per weight class, and fewer weight classes. Basically, get rid of all the "sub-weight" divisions. Instead of super middleweight, middleweight and junior middleweight, just have middleweight.

Stop basing revenue sharing on W/L records

Out of curiosity, what would you base it on? Actual revenues brought in by a team, like ticket sales and local TV contracts? Would you include concession sales and parking and things like that, too?

Or something else completely different...?

Probably market size. It has to be something uncontrolled by the team. The system they had in place from 1995-2002 gave teams an incentive to suck, as they took in increased revenue sharing funds. Thus the plight of the Expos and Twins. That should not happen.

NHL: I'm a hockey retard. Can someone tell me what the instigator rule is?

If you start a fight, you get a minor, a major, a misconduct, a public tarring-and-feathering, battery-loaded snowballs thrown at you by Gary Bettman, and whatever city Ed Belfour's in that night, you've gotta fly to his hotel room and clean up after him.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

BASEBALL

- don't let the guys fuck around between pitches.

- I'm with Bored on the DH. They just don't need it anymore.

- install a salary floor AND a ceiling.

- adjust the division schedules.

FOOTBALL

- New PAT rule: Instead of the extra point, you now get a choice. Go for two, or dance. You don't have to dance well, just dance. IF YOU DON'T DANCE, YOU ARE NOT REWARDED AN EXTRA POINT. I can't stress this enough.

- call the roughing penalities better. The're needed, but I don't want guys flopping when someone steps on their foot.

- NO DOMES. Any team with a dome may play in thier parking lot untill a new open roofed stadium is constructed.

BASKETBALL

- a minor league team for each real team, and an extra round for the draft.

- get rid of max contracts

- each team gets less timeouts

- a panel of judges awards one, two, or three points for each dunk. If you're a shitty dunker, please don't bother. Just shoot.

HOCKEY

- CONTRACTION