TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Corino 1000

10 year anniversery

How many albums have Nirvana sold? I'm more interested in "Nevermind." For such a ground breaking album I expect it to be between 10 and 20 million.

AiC, Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden are on the same level as the Stones and Beatles....

The Seattle scene will probably never get as much respect as it deserves...

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
AiC, Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden are on the same level as the Stones and Beatles....

Man.....

You can't be FUCKING serious?

I dunno about Nevermind, but I heard that the re-issues they did after that only got like, a million.

I wish I'd known that yesterday though...my and a friend were arguing about Nirvana, and she claimed that they were the biggest grunge band, thus grunge died with him (this was her counter to my "it was just a fucking fad" argument, by the way); they weren't. Pearl Jam outsold them.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Nevermind sold around 15 million IIRC. It's still way up on the best selling lists every year.

I think the important question though, is how many did it sell BEFORE he died?

That'd be the true judge of their success, methinks.

I don't think that's true. Selling 15 million albums over a long period of time is, to me, more impressive than selling 15 million in a couple of years. It indicates that the music has lasting appeal and is for some reason (whether you want to call it the Cobain legend or just the fact that it's damn fine music) still being picked up by new listeners. Sell 15 million albums in a couple of years, and you might be a fad that won't sell a million more once your heyday is passed. Keep selling in smaller numbers, and you start to prove that you were more than just a child of one particular trend.

Yeah, but the general argument against them is that they're only successful because Cobain died.

Thus, if their sales were down here, he shot himself and they shot up here, well...that's saying something.

Pfft, silly general argument. I'd say that doesn't matter either.

Cobain's but glorified, but almost every artist that dies sees a big sales spike in the short run. If it keeps up, something bigger is happening than morbid fascination or name recognition.

Yeah, but one could easily argue that they wouldn't have had such sales in the long run if he was still alive, because the fact that he died when he did obviously increased his name value, and the value of the band.

Well, OK, maybe not easily, because I'm now into a "what if" area, and it's hard to argue "what ifs" because they can't really be proven either way.

In any case though, I'd still be curious to see how it sold before his death, and how it sold after.

Man.....

I am...

These bands are on the same level in terms of music quality, importance, relevance, and inspiration(good/bad)....the only thing left to be similar is longevity, and at 10-15 years so far that should prove accurate as well...

Just because it was from the 90s and was really popular in the mainstream doesnt mean that the artists cant be compared to the sacred cows of the 1960s...

Yeah, but the general argument against them is that they're only successful because Cobain died.

Surely there is no one stupid enough to believe this is true.

Man.....

I am...

These bands are on the same level in terms of music quality, importance, relevance, and inspiration(good/bad)....the only thing left to be similar is longevity, and at 10-15 years so far that should prove accurate as well...

Just because it was from the 90s and was really popular in the mainstream doesnt mean that the artists cant be compared to the sacred cows of the 1960s...

Let me say this

PJ and Nirvana recycled music.

The Beatles and Stones were innovators.

HUGE HUGE HUGE difference.

We aren't gonna start calling Cobain the John Lennon of our generation, are we?

Whats next? Kim Thayhil is similar to Hendrix?

You're nuts, fucko.

Man.....

I am...

Let me say this

PJ and Nirvana recycled music.

The Beatles and Stones were innovators.

HUGE HUGE HUGE difference.

We aren't gonna start calling Cobain the John Lennon of our generation, are we?

Whats next? Kim Thayhil is similar to Hendrix?

You're nuts, fucko.

You ever hear of a guy named Robert Johnson?...

Had he not invented the guitar playing style and riffs used by the Stones in the 1930s, Keith Richards would be banging heroin from used syringes in a London bathroom stall today....or dead....either way, he'd be penniless....

Theres your innovator kids, the Stones just took Johnson's delta blues to amps and the world stage...

Keith happilly admits to this...Lennon was glad to admit 'borrowing' much from Buddy Holly etc...and Macca's Yesterday 'dream' sure sounds alot like Louie Armstrong....

The Stones took that and made it theatrical. They were rock stars, they were popular just as much for their decadent lifestyle and image as their music. They simply combined it all, and pretty much (with the Beatles) made rock music the massively popular genre we know today. Before them, jazz was the most popular form of music. 10 years after the Beatles and Stones first landed in America, Jazz accounted for about 2% of music sales. It was these two bands who pretty much STARTED the rock band phenomenon that still lasts 40+ years later until today. They STARTED this. Nirvana popularized flannel jackets, greasy hair, and watered down "punk" rock. The Stones and Beatles are responsible for starting it all. They are the framework...grunge is just a little, insignifant blip of the rock n' roll radar. This bothers me because I like Nirvana. In Utero was a great little album. Nirvana's impact and popularity is in HOW Cobain died - not his music. Sad but true.

And I agree about Pearl Jam with inc. Their significant has always been over-stated. Its been over 10-12 years since they've been anywhere close to essnetially, interesting, or noteworthy. Its kinda tough to compare them to the Beatles and Stones when the vast majority is grossly indifferent to them.

Surely there is no one stupid enough to believe this is true.

Perhaps it should have been re-worded to "gained a great deal of fame because of Cobain's suicide".

Uh yeah......Pearl Jam>Nirvana. Anytime, anyday in my oppinion. I still listen to Pearl Jam live stuff, I have already sold the 2 nirvana cd's I used to own. Nirvana's stuff just comes off as obnoxious to me now.

Also, as much as I love PJ(And I really dont consider them just grunge) the whole grunge scene didn't do shit for music. It WAS A FAD. You don't see many grunge bands these days, I mean hell, I don't know if i would want to(but of course, this is up to heavy interpretation, as anyone can call just about anything grunge.)

Anyway, I think some of Cobains stuff was good, but none of it was amazing. I love Pearl Jam more than alot of bands out there, but even they aren't the saviors of music here.

Cobain will never equal Lennon. EVER. I would agree w/ Banky on just about EVERYTHING, except I like PJ, so i refuse to shit on their stuff.

Also, out of the four bands named(Aic,PJ,Nirvana,Soundgarden) three are disbanded and half of them had to stop due to deaths. As much even as I like AIC, they're stuff IS overrated. I believe the whole "grunge" scene is overrated due to the deaths of Layne Staley and Kurt Cobain.

One last note: Soundgarden is no longer together, however their lead singer(His name slips my mind right now) ISNT doing grunge. And really, he isn't doing anything great. Now whether that has to do with anything or not, I just thought i'd mention it. Grunge no longer equals cool, so they're isnt much of it. Hence, Grunge=Fad.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

How well did those last Pearl Jam albums sell again? They were off the charts here in about two weeks.

Just awful stuff, the song from I Am Sam's soundtrack is one of my least favorite rockish song ever

Guest JRE
How well did those last Pearl Jam albums sell again? They were off the charts here in about two weeks.

Just awful stuff, the song from I Am Sam's soundtrack is one of my least favorite rockish song ever

Then again...Pearl Jam kinda took themselves out of the mainstream. Riot Act isn't their best work...but Binaural is fantastic.

Eh...the song on I Am Sam is just Eddie....and it's a Beatles song.

Then again...Pearl Jam kinda took themselves out of the mainstream. Riot Act isn't their best work...but Binaural is fantastic.

Eh...the song on I Am Sam is just Eddie....and it's a Beatles song.

I agree about Riot Act, although I really didn't know about the whole I am Sam thing. Anyway, I've been listening to the Live Bootlegs.

Guest JRE

Eddie does a solo cover of "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" (They do it on one of the NYC 2003 bootlegs, and probably lots of other times to.) The whole I Am Sam soundtrack is Beatles covers....don't know how you missed it (cobainwasmurdered)

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I know they're Beatles covers and they still suck.

Eddie is Pearl Jam. And everything he's done in forever has sucked. He has no passion in his voice.

Guest JRE

"Eddie is Pearl Jam."

The hell? Most of the music on Ten was written before he had ever been in Seattle. The rest of the band has written many of the songs (Eddie did dominate in the mid-90s though.) Matt Cameron is writing a lot of the music now...

That's like saying Cobain was Nirvana.

"And everything he's done in forever has sucked."

The hell?! Forever?

"He has no passion in his voice. "

THE HELL? Kurt Cobain himself said he had "passion" (Mind you, Eddie's voice is slowly grinding away)

Yeah, PJ's albums haven't sold a ton, but they did rank in the top 20 grossing tours of 2003.

Source

1. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - $115.9

2. Celine Dion - £80.5

3. Eagles - $69.3

4. Fleetwood Mac - $69

5. Cher - $68.2

6. Simon and Garfunkel - $64.5

7. Aerosmith/Kiss - $64

8. Dixie Chicks - $60.5

9. Billy Joel/ Elton John - $50.9

10. Metallica Summer Sanitarium Tour - $48.8

11. Dave Matthews Band - $47.1

12. Toby Keith - $44.2

13. Shania Twain - $40.8

14. The Rolling Stones - $ 38.5

15. Phish - $35.8

16. Kenny Chesney - $34.5

17. Tim McGraw - $32.7

18. Justin Timberlake / Christina Aguilera - $31.8

19. Jimmy Buffett - $29.3

20. Pearl Jam - $29.1

There's a lot of big names there, and considering PJ charge practically the lowest ticket prices possible for a "name" band (there's more than a couple performers here that charge *big bucks* for tickets), it's clear they aren't totally ignored by the public.

And I liked Riot Act.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
"Eddie is Pearl Jam."

The hell? Most of the music on Ten was written before he had ever been in Seattle. The rest of the band has written many of the songs (Eddie did dominate in the mid-90s though.) Matt Cameron is writing a lot of the music now...

That's like saying Cobain was Nirvana.

"And everything he's done in forever has sucked."

The hell?! Forever?

"He has no passion in his voice. "

THE HELL? Kurt Cobain himself said he had "passion" (Mind you, Eddie's voice is slowly grinding away)

First Cobain said that at least TEN YEARS ago, I'm not talking about in the past.

Next, "forever" is a COMMONLY used term for saying, "A very long time".

Cobain was Nirvana. Grohl was a great talent but Kurt was the the heart and Soul, alot of Nirvana's best stuff was written well before Grohl Joined. Novelsic was a decent bassist nothing more.

And as far I've always thought I see the lead singer as the representation of the band because they're the ones who have to go out there and make them sound good. the other guys can write great lyrics and the lead singer can totally fuck it up.

Also, what does he having not being in Seattle at the time have anything REMOTELY to do with anything I've EVER said.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Yeah, PJ's albums haven't sold a ton, but they did rank in the top 20 grossing tours of 2003.

Source

1. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - $115.9

2. Celine Dion - £80.5

3. Eagles - $69.3

4. Fleetwood Mac - $69

5. Cher - $68.2

6. Simon and Garfunkel - $64.5

7. Aerosmith/Kiss - $64

8. Dixie Chicks - $60.5

9. Billy Joel/ Elton John - $50.9

10. Metallica Summer Sanitarium Tour - $48.8

11. Dave Matthews Band - $47.1

12. Toby Keith - $44.2

13. Shania Twain - $40.8

14. The Rolling Stones - $ 38.5

15. Phish - $35.8

16. Kenny Chesney - $34.5

17. Tim McGraw - $32.7

18. Justin Timberlake / Christina Aguilera - $31.8

19. Jimmy Buffett - $29.3

20. Pearl Jam - $29.1

There's a lot of big names there, and considering PJ charge practically the lowest ticket prices possible for a "name" band (there's more than a couple performers here that charge *big bucks* for tickets), it's clear they aren't totally ignored by the public.

And I liked Riot Act.

That's just it though. PJ *IS* a tour band. I've seen them live and I love it because Eddie will do something spontaneous and fun. I just don't see it translating over to any of the albums they've done in a long time.

I'd give Riot Act **3/4

Guest JRE
Also, what does he having not being in Seattle at the time have anything REMOTELY to do with anything I've EVER said.

The fact that he hadn't met Stone and Jeff, obviously.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Yes and I'd already stated why I consider Vedder to be the key member of the group.

Good lyrics mean shit all unless you have a good singer, among other things.