TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

Canadians = Evil?

Guest Repo Man Reborn

I think it is hilarious that WWE "creative" makes it a point to keep track of people's hometowns.

They are truly the ONLY people who care about that crap.

Scene from a WWE "creative" meeting #245:

Writer #1: "Okay, make sure that Lilian makes it a point to say Benoit is now residing in Atlanta, GA. That is VERY important."

Writer #2: "Next piece of business. Val Venis. What do we got?"

Writer #1: "Ah, feed him to Kane.........................and MAKE HIM FROM WEST CHESTER, PA!"

Guest Goodear

Yeah, its amazing how much people don't care but will make a whole bunch of posts about it. Its not like they've removed Canada from the map, they're just telling you were Benoit lives now. So what?

And yet they keep calling Backlash a "homecoming" for Benoit. They just can't make up their minds..

Goodear, I think the point is, is with WWE they can never make up their mind whether to announce the wrestler from either where they are originally FROM [which is what was usually done] or to announce them from where they live right now - because if they did that, then more than half of the announcements would be way off base.

Case in point. Last week, or the week before or something, Shelton was "Minneapolis, MN" and this week I noticed they switched him to his hometown "Orangeburg, SC"...

Vince is paranoid in that he doesn't want to create another Canadian Hero a la Bret Hart.

You know he's had a love/hate relationship with the country since 1997.

That makes sense if there's another big promotion to jump to (like WCW). There's no competition, so there's no reason to fear 1 of your big Canadian names jumping ship w/ a/the belt.

For the 3 Way at Backlash to work properly Benoit HAS to get on the mic after being announced from Atlanta and tell Lillian that he's actually from Edmonton. It would set the tone perfectly.

Guest JMA

Question: Was Gail Kim born in Korea? I was under the impression that she was of Korean descent but was born in Toronto. Has she ever even lived in Korea?

Case in point. Last week, or the week before or something, Shelton was "Minneapolis, MN" and this week I noticed they switched him to his hometown "Orangeburg, SC"...

Minnesota is too close to Canada! We can't have him stained by those lousy Canucks!

I'm waiting for Triple H to move but then I realize he is in UCONN, home of the McMahons.

Batista should move to Maine or the Yukon

Question: Was Gail Kim born in Korea? I was under the impression that she was of Korean descent but was born in Toronto. Has she ever even lived in Korea?

A quick google search says:

Gail Kim was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario.

Korea can have Toronto.

This whole topic reminds me of a promo in Insane Championship Wrestling in Detroit. Sex and Violence ,a team comprised of Sexton Hardcastle (Edge) and Joe E Legend, were having a match against each other because there had been tension building between the two for a couple months. Mid-match, Christian Cage (Christian) comes out and stops the match saying how the ICW promoters were doing whatever they could to break up the team and the two shouldn't allow it to happen.

Then he makes the comment to Edge that the ICW promoters won't even tell people that they are Canadian and that they are billing them as wrestlers from New Jersey. Eventually ,Rhino Richards (Rhyno) came out...they formed a heel stable managed by Handsome Johnny Bradford called Thug Life...and stomped the hell out of promoter Malcom Monroe and began a war with most of the rest of the ICW roster.

Guest JMA

Korea can have Toronto.

I figured as much.

Does this mean Gail Kim is going to be repackaged as an evil North Korean?

This whole topic reminds me of a promo in Insane Championship Wrestling in Detroit. Sex and Violence ,a team comprised of Sexton Hardcastle (Edge) and Joe E Legend, were having a match against each other because there had been tension building between the two for a couple months. Mid-match, Christian Cage (Christian) comes out and stops the match saying how the ICW promoters were doing whatever they could to break up the team and the two shouldn't allow it to happen.

Then he makes the comment to Edge that the ICW promoters won't even tell people that they are Canadian and that they are billing them as wrestlers from New Jersey. Eventually ,Rhino Richards (Rhyno) came out...they formed a heel stable managed by Handsome Johnny Bradford called Thug Life...and stomped the hell out of promoter Malcom Monroe and began a war with most of the rest of the ICW roster.

Hah, that's awesome. They need to do that in the WWE....

Korea can have Toronto.

I figured as much.

I hope not.....

cuz an evil Torontian would work more. :P

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Holy shit, that is awesome...

Guest wildpegasus

Found this on wrestlingexposed.com

Explanation For Chris Benoit's Hometown Change

Written by Ryan Clark on April 07, 2004 at 00:45:34

Thanks to Steve for the following:

Hey there, I emailed WWE Canada and ask what was up with them changing Benoit's hometown, right before the big PPV in Edmonton. I got the following reply:

Thank you for your recent comments regarding Chris Benoit.

WWE Canada has checked into your questions and, as a result, Mr. McMahon has issued the following statement:

“We as a company are proud of Chris Benoit’s accomplishments and his Canadian heritage. But since Chris Benoit has been living in Atlanta for over a decade, it is important to reflect an accurate assessment of where he is currently residing.”

For his part, Chris Benoit states: ”No matter where I live, which is currently Atlanta, Georgia, I’m proud to be from Edmonton, Alberta Canada. And I’m looking forward to returning home as the World Heavyweight Champion at the WWE RAW Backlash Pay-Per-View event at Rexall Place on Sunday, April 18.”

Once again, thank you for your comments – we’re proud to have such enthusiastic and involved fans in Canada. Chris is very excited about presenting the belt to his fellow Edmontonians at Backlash.

Sincerely,

WWE Fan Services

There you have it.

WP -- See, there are no alterior motives here. We can all go sing in the rain and be happy now. :)

Found this on wrestlingexposed.com

Explanation For Chris Benoit's Hometown Change

Written by Ryan Clark on April 07, 2004 at 00:45:34

Thanks to Steve for the following:

Hey there, I emailed WWE Canada and ask what was up with them changing Benoit's hometown, right before the big PPV in Edmonton. I got the following reply:

Thank you for your recent comments regarding Chris Benoit.

WWE Canada has checked into your questions and, as a result, Mr. McMahon has issued the following statement:

“We as a company are proud of Chris Benoit’s accomplishments and his Canadian heritage. But since Chris Benoit has been living in Atlanta for over a decade, it is important to reflect an accurate assessment of where he is currently residing.”

For his part, Chris Benoit states: ”No matter where I live, which is currently Atlanta, Georgia, I’m proud to be from Edmonton, Alberta Canada. And I’m looking forward to returning home as the World Heavyweight Champion at the WWE RAW Backlash Pay-Per-View event at Rexall Place on Sunday, April 18.”

Once again, thank you for your comments – we’re proud to have such enthusiastic and involved fans in Canada. Chris is very excited about presenting the belt to his fellow Edmontonians at Backlash.

Sincerely,

WWE Fan Services

There you have it.

WP -- See, there are no alterior motives here. We can all go sing in the rain and be happy now. :)

Nothing much out of the ordinary there.

Chris Benoit is now back to being announced from Edmonton, Alberta, is he not?

While it would be corny to change back (but no arguments here), it could be made seem as if WWE have made their point.

Guest JMA

That still doesn't explain why Gail Kim is now from Korea.

Did she move there or something?

That still doesn't explain why Gail Kim is now from Korea.

Did she move there or something?

She is? What, so she's returned to Raw?

If so, then yes, I'm assuming that:

A. She's moved there.

B. They want a sense of realism.

C. That is her country of origin.

Yes, while I know that she was not born or raised there, for those spitting chips over C., it could be where her family come from.

It could also be any of those.

Guest JMA

I might believe what WWE is saying if it wasn't just Canadians having their hometowns changed.

Does this mean Funaki will be billed as "now residing in San Antonio, Texas"?

A. She's moved there.

Do you really think someone in OVW has recently moved to Korea?

B. They want a sense of realism.

Yes, because in the real world minorities don't live in Canada. Or the US. What kind of realism are you talking about?

I think the return of Hogan unlocked some sort of seal which is causing the old 80s cliches of the company to return in spades. Now we have Evil Quebecers and babyfaces are made into good ol' American boys at every oppertunity.

While I don't mind some well-loved parts of the 80s scene, like I wouldn't mind seeing the workrate of someone like Steamboat, but not the goofy Saturday Morning style WWF. More goofy superhero-like characters and a huge heaping of USA-centered patriotism on the side.

I might believe what WWE is saying if it wasn't just Canadians having their hometowns changed.

Does this mean Funaki will be billed as "now residing in San Antonio, Texas"?

Yes, it is rather odd that, if it's a one-off thing, it was done to Chris Benoit before a Pay-Per-View in his hometown where he is the World Heavyweight Champion.

And I don't think that Funaki is in any danger of being billed full stop.

Korea can have Toronto.

I figured as much.

I hope not.....

It's Toronto's fault Hogan became champion again. That's evil enough for me.

Korea can have Toronto.

I figured as much.

I hope not.....

It's Toronto's fault Hogan became champion again. That's evil enough for me.

Haha. Now that I think about it, you're probably right.

Benoit speaks...

Whether he's billed as a superstar from Edmonton, Alberta or Atlanta, Georgia, World Champion Chris Benoit will never forget that he's a proud Canadian.

The Canadian Crippler - who was on a whirlwind tour of Toronto this week that includes a taping of TSN's Off the Record - stopped by the SportsCentre studio for a one-on-one interview with TSN.ca.

Benoit - who was born in Montreal and raised in Edmonton from a very early age - knows all too well about the controversy created when World Wrestling Entertainment began announcing him as "residing in Altanta." The Rabid Wolverine understood why Canadian wrestling fans would be upset, but was quick to acknowledge that it doesn't change the way he feels about his home country.

"A big misconception is that they (WWE) announce me as being Chris Benoit from Atlanta Georgia," he explained. "It's residing in Atlanta, Georgia and that's the truth. Back in 1996 when I had the chance to get some exposure in the U.S. with WCW, part of the deal was moving to Atlanta where their corporate headquarters was and getting my green card. Of my three kids, my first child David was born in Edmonton and my other two - Megan and Daniel - were born in Atlanta and I've been there since.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that I'm from Edmonton and I consider that my home. My parents are there - my whole family's there - and I'm pretty sure after my career is done I'll be moving back there. But nowadays, I don't know too many family members or at least a friend that has had to move away because of job opportunities. It's the way the world is now, it was an opportunity for me to better myself, my opportunities for myself and for my family. That doesn't mean I've renounced being from Edmonton or renounced being a Canadian - not at all. Yes I do 'reside in Atlanta,' but I am from Edmonton and I'm proud of it."

That being said, the new World Champion said he couldn't wait to step into Edmonton's Rexall Place on April 18 for Backlash.

"I've got goosebumps thinking about it right now," he said with an ear-to-ear grin. "I was hoping so much that I would win the title at WrestleMania because I knew we would be going to Edmonton. Just walking out there, standing in the middle of the ring and raising that title above my head and saying thank you. Because that's where it all began. The fans there are a part of who I am today, and I just want to go back there and thank them for all their support."

This is going to incur quite a Backlash. I agree with Meltzer - I don't understand it either.

And Chris Jericho is 32?

Guest Choken One

only in canada is this a National Issue...

I didn't see Minnesotaians complaining that Benjamin "relocated" to Orangeburg SC.