TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Advice on concerts...?

Guest Vitamin X

OK, so I am back in the Miami area and I am craving some hot concert action... If you live in this area, then everyone knows the best concerts coming up are at the Culture Room, so here's a few...

Wed, 04/07/04

07:30 PM

Slightly Stoopid, Pepper

I have absolutely no clue who either of these bands area, slightly stoopid seem like a sublime-ish band with their blatant love of marijuana... So at least I'll know it'll be a good smoke-out. But good concert?

Sat, 04/10/04

08:00 PM

Josh Todd

Fri, 04/16/04

Big Sky

Sun, 04/18/04

07:00 PM

Element Eighty, the Accident Experiment

I know nothing about any of these guys... Someone know? Fuck you figure if you're going to be playing by yourself (Josh Todd) you'd at least have some kind of recognition to base that on.

Wed, 04/21/04

07:30 PM

Gwar

I AM SO FUCKING THERE!!!!!!!

Thu, 04/22/04

The Toasters

I know nothing. Help?

Sat, 04/24/04

Cold

If the ticket isn't too high, and I'm bored enough, I'll go.

Tue, 04/27/04

The Radio Takeover Show: the Beautiful Mistake

Why do these two bands sound like garage emo? Or is that just the name of the concert..wtf is that?

Wed, 04/28/04

Exodus

They really sound very very familiar.. Someone enlighten me?

Sat, 05/01/04

Orgy

I think I'll check them out live....Unless there's good reason not to?

Sat, 04/10/04

Josh Todd

Sun, 04/18/04

Element Eighty, the Accident Experiment

Sat, 05/01/04

Orgy

For all three of these shows, it really depends on if you're into nu-metal and its various subsidaries. I am, and I'm a big fan of Element Eighty and Orgy, while Josh Todd is the lead singer of Buckcherry. Josh Todd is, like Marilyn Manson, just a band named off the lead singer.

Honestly, download/cheaply buy the albums from all three artists. To me, going to a concert, even a shitty one, where you know the lyrics to the songs they're playing > seeing a great band whom you've never heard before.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That Josh Todd show will be awful. You can go if you don't believe me.

The Toasters are a respectable ska band if you like ska.

My take: Just go to GWAR.

Guest Vitamin X
Honestly, download/cheaply buy the albums from all three artists. To me, going to a concert, even a shitty one, where you know the lyrics to the songs they're playing > seeing a great band whom you've never heard before.

Well I'm on a 56k modem for now, so downloading isn't much of an option... And also, I try to just get a sampling, and a concert at the Culture Room is rarely over $20, which is roughly a bit more than a CD costs nowadays.

GWAR is only $15.90 a ticket!!

Slightly Stoopid has me slightly interested... If not for just something cool to do tonight and at least get some bud hookups in the Ft Lauderdale area....It's only $12 or so, but I need to save up $70 for the Perfect Circle concert coming up, so I'll just take AoO's advice and just see GWAR.

GWAR (if youve never been before)

Cold

Orgy

Cold are one of my favorite acts and are great live..Orgy are VERY underated especially their second album! another very good live act as well

Guest Agent of Oblivion
need to save up $70 for the Perfect Circle concert coming up

Jesus christ, 70 bucks for A Perfect Circle? Who are they touring with? Kiss?

holy schnikees

i didnt even see that until you replied to it

70 fn dollars thats crazy

ive paid less for shows with a ridiculous number of bands

thankfully i saw them for much less already (opening for NIN before the album came out)

are you buying 2 tickets there Vit-x?

Guest Vitamin X

It's actually $35 a ticket, sorry for the misinformation.

So yeah I'm buying two tickets. In my opinion, $35 is still too damn much for just one band so I hope there's some decent openers.

The only concert I might bother with spending much more cash on is Ozzfest, and that's only if the show is good since I can't get backstage passes anymore (I was getting them free since I happen to know Serj's from System of a Down's nephew-in-law, the bassist from American Head Charge, and the drummer from Mudvayne's cousin...Hey it works, dammit.)

EDIT: HOLY FUCK!!! JUST SAW THE LINEUP FOR THIS YEAR'S OZZFEST I AM SO FUCKING GETTING PIT TICKETS!!!

Main Stage:

Ozzy/Black Sabbath

Judas Priest

MOTHERFUCKING SLAYER WHO I'VE NEVER SEEN LIVE!!!!!

Dimmu Borgir

Black Label Society

Superjoint Ritual....who is the only part of this stage I'm not too fanatical about.

And the second stage has Slipknot and Hatebreed headlining, but I'm there for Lamb of god and Lacuna Coil.

no prob on that ticket thing i actually thought that might be the case

35 bucks is not terribly bad in today's market

that ozzfest lineup is pretty good this year i would go but ive seen just about everybody and am getting up there in age..harder to get "up" for so many shows anymore :)

if youve never seen slayer you ahev to see them better in a club that in an outdoor setting but still good

Exodus rules. Seriously. Download "Piranha" and "The Toxic Waltz" if you've never heard their stuff.

Oh, and Paul Baloff was out of Exodus for a while, I do believe, until returning for the live album. After his death, they went back to their vocalist from before Baloff returned.

I base this off of the fact that the vocals sounded different from Bonded By Blood to everything else, but they could have produced the music better for all I know. **poot**

$35 for a name band at a big venue is pretty much the lowest ticket price (as far as I can tell, anyway).

Definitely...DMB is up to 58 from 45 last year, and they're known for "fair" prices.

DMB is playing a couple nights at Alpine Valley here in Wisconsin. I was thinking about going with the hope that Ben Harper would open...but hes just doing the LA gigs or something. Guster is the opener....Ill see them at Bonnaroo, and solo Dave. Ill spend this 50$ on something else like Lollapalooza or Phil Collins.