TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

The OAO NBA Playoffs/Finals Thread

Thought that I should start up the OAO NBA playoffs/Finals thread since the regular season one is starting to look like a beat up old shoe. I figure here we can talk about match ups and what not, yet still have the regular season thread to talk about potential of lottery teams, reflecting on losing teams, who was disappointing, etc, etc.

I was the TSM NBA beat guy until my father suffered a stroke and I couldn't fulfill my duties as a regular. However, I have still kept up with the NBA and now that the regular season has about 3 games left per team, I will give my finals predictions.

LA Lakers over the Detroit Pistons in 6 games.

The Lakers were my preseason favorites to win it all and they are my postseason as well (that is my unbiased opinion since I despise the Lakers). During the preseason I had the Hornets winning the Central with Detroit second and Indiana third. Shows how much I know about the East. What I know about the East now is that in a 7 game series, the only teams that can compete with whoever will come out of the west are the Pistons (because they have a lockdown defense) or the Pacers (they have homecourt throughout the playoffs now). Still, when it comes down to it, I can't see anyone beating the Lakers in a 7 game series, so here's to you Laker fans- :cheers:

Right know I think the Spurs and Lakers has the only 2 teams that can win the title. The Pacers would have home court, but I don't think they've faced the competiton has the Western conference, and this group hasn't gone very far in the playoffs.

The Spurs and Lakers do come off like the favs because they have won the last 5 championships. The Pacers don't face near the comp that the other 2 teams do in the tough West. (I don't buy into the West teams beating up on each other and then an East team pounces on them theory) The T-Wolves haven't been past the first round, so know one knows how they'll react if and when they get out of round one this year. The Kings and Mavs don't play enough defense to be considered as threatening as they have been the last 2 years. Once the playoff picture becomes crystal clear in the next few days, I'll give my team by team predictions.

Let me say it now to begin NBA Playoffs fun which actually begins on Saturday LET ME HERE YA SAY GO NEW YORK GO NEW YORK GO!!!

Thanks.

I'll be cheering for the Rockets, but they've been playing like crap lately.

I think it comes down to the Kings and Spurs, depending on the final brackets. I think either of them could beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. For what it's worth, I see the Nets coming out of the east for the 3rd year in a row. The Heat will surprise a lot of people.

Guest OctoberBlood

I'm just waiting for the surprise of the year: Boston defeats Indiana in 7 games?!?!~! :lol:

So, I'm predicting a Spurs/Pistons finals, and it'll be damn good.

The thing that most impresses me about Rasheed Wallace is how he gets up and down the court, with all the media hanging on his nutsack.

Reggie Miller played last year's playoffs with an injury, one which needed surgery immediately after the season was done. This year, he's healthy, and CAN still put up 20 a game in the playoffs whenever he fucking wants to, and you all know it. So keep on hating, just be ready for it to come back and bite you all in the asses.

Nuggets are up 9 at the end of 3 against Sac, if they hold on they clinch the last spot in the West.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

You know the Pacers have one of the game's best combos in Artest and O'Neal, and yet all I ever hear about is old ass washed up Reggie Miller.

For the record, put me down for a Nets/Spurs final. Take a wild guess who wins.

You know the Pacers have one of the game's best combos in Artest and O'Neal

Well, I knew people would recognize that without me having to say anything.

It's also a main reason that Reggie Miller appears to be "washed up"...we have other guys we can rely on for offense. Reggie maybe gets half the touches that he did in his prime. Back in the day, it was Reggie and Rik, who was hurt a lot.

EDIT: My prediction is Spurs over Pacers in 7. I'll have full predictions once the series are set.

The Playoff teams are now locked, it's now a matter of positioning and that won't be fully determined until after Wednesday's games. As of right now...

East

1-Indiana

2-New Jersey

3-Detroit

4-Milwaukee

5-Miami

6-New Orleans

7-New York

8-Boston

The top 3 and Boston are locked in their positions as of today. Positions 4 thru 7 can change. If Detroit faces New Jersey in the second round, Detroit gets home court because they have the better regular season record.

West

1-Minnesota

2-Sacramento

3-San Antonio

4-Los Angeles

5-Memphis

6-Dallas

7-Houston

8-Denver

Minnesota and Sacramento control their own destiny. If both win their final games, they stay in their position. Sacramento could face a similar situation as New Jersey if San Antonio finishes better than them, yet Sac gets the 2nd seed. The Lakers would need to win their final 2 games and have Sac and SA lose out to get homecourt over those 2 teams. SA can still get top seed if they win their final game and Minn. loses it's final game. Dallas and Memphis are also undecided as both teams share the same record, but they will likely swap places as Dallas leads Memphis right now in the third quarter. Houston and Denver are locked into their current positions.

Next 2 days will be very interesting.

Guest Redhawk
Reggie Miller played last year's playoffs with an injury, one which needed surgery immediately after the season was done. This year, he's healthy, and CAN still put up 20 a game in the playoffs whenever he fucking wants to, and you all know it. So keep on hating, just be ready for it to come back and bite you all in the asses.

[Will Ferrel in Old School] "You KNOW it!" [/Will Ferrell in Old School]

I'm just waiting for the surprise of the year: Boston defeats Indiana in 7 games?!?!~!

You shut up that crazy talk.

I am calling it now.

Mavs over Lakers in round one.

*walks out*

That's if the Lakers end up fourth. There is a scenario where if the Kings lose and the Lakers win tonight, the Kings would be fourth seed and face the Mavs and the Lakers would be second seed and face the Rockets. The way the Kings are playing, I can definitely see this scenario playing out today. :(

Guest NCJ

Who the hell is the girl in your sig Ripper? Damn!!!

T-Wolves/Spurs vs Pacers/Pistons conference finals both go seven games.

T-Wolves vs Pacers finals Wolves in Six.

No chance Minnesota loses in the 1st round. Garnett won't let them, and Denver gave them bulletin board material by saying they'd rather play the Spurs.

UNBEFUCKINGLIEVEABLE.

LA ends up winning the Pacific due to Sac's loss to GS (who had just choked up their livers against the Lakers the night before) and a double OT win in Portland.

I wonder if LA will cut their division banner in half and give part to GS?

So here are your matchups:

EAST:

1-Indiana vs 8-Boston (Pacers in 5)

4-Miami vs 5-New Orleans (Heat in 6)

3-Detroit vs 6-Milwaukee (Pistons in 6)

2-NJ vs 7-NY (Nets in 6)

WEST:

1-Minnesota vs 7-Denver (Wolves in 6)

4-Sacramento vs 5-Dallas (Kings in 7)

3-San Antonio vs 6-Memphis (Spurs in 6)

2-Lakers vs 7-Rockets (Lakers in 7)

I am calling it now.

Mavs over Lakers in round one.

*walks out*

That's if the Lakers end up fourth. There is a scenario where if the Kings lose and the Lakers win tonight, the Kings would be fourth seed and face the Mavs and the Lakers would be second seed and face the Rockets. The way the Kings are playing, I can definitely see this scenario playing out today. :(

Okay...never mind.

*walks back out*

Here we go. Now that the seeds are settled in, it's time to look into DA's crystal ball and predict where all the series are going.

West

T-Wolves vs Nuggets: The T-Wolves are not only hell bent on getting KG out of the first round, but are also legit contenders for the title. The Nuggets are making the playoffs for the first time since 1995, when they upset the first seeded Seattle Supersonics. Will lightning strike twice for the Mile High City? Doubt it. I see Minnesota taking the first 2 and splitting the next 2 in Denver and then the wolves will make the kill in 5 games.

DA prediction: T-Wolves in 5.

Kings vs Mavericks: People are already pegging this as potentially the most entertaining series. Problem is, the Kings haven't been very entertaining, or good for that matter in the last month. The Kings front line is lethargic and ailing. The only way Sac can keep this competetive is to slow down the game and attempt to limit the athleticism factor. The Mavs would be best advised to give the ball to Nowitzki just about every time down the floor since C-Webb the gimp won't be able to cover him. The Mavs will split the first 2 games at Arco and win both games in Dallas. The Kings pride button will click on and they'll stave off elimination in game 5, but will take the Kings out in game 6.

DA prediction: Mavs in 6.

LA Lakers vs Rockets: The Lakers did themselves a favor and won the Pacific to draw the slumping Houston Rockets instead of the Mavs. Or did they? The Rockets do seem to step their game up a notch when they see the purple and gold across the court. Yao Ming is the only player besides Tim Duncan who can match up legit with Shaq. Karl Malone's last game ankle injury will figure more into later rounds and not here, since all the Rockets power forwards suck. Kobe is playing MVP-like ball, so I see the Lakers taking both games in LA and splitting the next 2 in Houston, before putting down the Rockets in game 5.

DA prediction: Lakers in 5.

Grizzlies vs Spurs: 2 weeks ago, I had Memphis pegged as one of the more dangerous teams to play in the playoffs. That was before they started slumping badly and the Spurs got hot. The Spurs are playing a serious lock down defense and are putting things together at the right time. The Grizzlies are young and inexperienced in the playoffs. While they do have a lot of talent and athleticism about them, I don't think that will factor too much against a surging defending champ. I'll say the Grizzlies get swept in this series.

DA prediction: Spurs in 4.

I'll get to my East predictions later on today.

Hmm.

Rockets will take it to the Lakers but will lose the series.

Marice Taylor(a Houston PF) does everything on the court but suck...and rebound..but he will have a big series. The lakers could lose this series if it were a 5 game series, but I don't think the Rockets can take them in 7.

Spurs Grizz...hmph.

See here is the thing. Memphis went cold..yeah, But they did it with their number one scorer and rebounder hurt, and their number two scorer out.

I think the SPurs will win it, but it will be a better match up than people are thinking.

I can't disagree with any other pick really, although Dallas Sac is a toss up depending on what Sacramento shows up.

Who the hell is the girl in your sig Ripper? Damn!!!

Ki Toy Johnson. The girl from the Outkast "The way you move" video. Damn indeed.