TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

The OAO NBA Playoffs/Finals Thread

I am too depressed with the state of the Kings to even get into this NBA Postseason. Someone just take out the Lakers, PLEASE.

Go A's!

Pistons over Kings in 7...yeah, I'm nuts. We'll see.

good call even though I really want it to be a rematch of the 1989 Finals, blue-collar Pistons vs flashy, star-laden Lakers.

My first round predictions

West:

Wolves over Nuggets in 6

Lakers over Rockets in 7

Spurs over Grizzlies in 5

Mavericks over Kings in 6

East:

Pacers over Celtics in 5

Nets over Knicks in 7

Pistons over Bucks in 5

Heat over Hornets in 6

Here are my thought on the Finals:

-If Spurs make it, they win

-If any other West team makes it and the East winner is either Detroit or Indiana, then the East team wins.

-West wins if anyone other than Indy and Detroit make Finals.

I will say I'm glad things turned out the way they did in the west. The Rockets match up much better against LA than they do against Sacramento. I know the Lakers will kick it into high gear now, but the series will be more competitive than you think. I wouldn't be surprised if Houston catches LA slacking in Game 1.

And if by some miracle we escape the first round, we play Minnesota or Denver. The Rockets matched up well against both of them in the regular season.

I am going to root for Memphis/Minnesota in the west just because and New Jersey(just because everyone keeps counting them out) and DETROIT in the East (although nothing would make me happier than seeing Reggie Miller get a ring).

Realistically, San Antoino probabaly repeats and people can finally shut the fuck up about Shaq/Kobe being the most dominant thing in basketball's recent history and Timmay gets some fucking credit.

San Antionio over Pacer in 7 - realistiaclly believe.

Minnesota over Pacers(or vice versa) in 7...off a Reggie Miller 3 - what I WANT.

I don't know why everyone instantly gives it to the west. When it's all said and done in the very end, it's just a 7 game series. Any good team can beat another 4 out of 7 times.

....and now, DA's Eastern Conference First round predictions

East

Pacers vs Celtics: The Pacers have proved themselves for real this season. They've got the franchise record for wins and have the team that knocked them off and embarassed them last year in the playoffs, the Celtics, in their crosshairs. The Celtics don't have anything new to bring to the table and I think the moves they made only made them a worse team than last year. The only reason the Celts even made the playoffs this year was because the East got worse, not because the Celts were better. I see Indiana giving them some of their wrath and sweep the Celts.

DA's prediction: Pacers in 4.

Heat vs Hornets: The question that begs to be answered in this series is "who cares?" Both teams have zero chance to make it to the finals. Still, I can see a competetive series coming from these 2 teams. The Heat amazingly have homecourt through this as well. If Dwayne Wade and Lamar Odom lead this team, they can win the series, but I like the Hornets experience and the fact I picked them to win the Central at the beginning of the year and they let me down. Jamaal Magloire is the one I think who makes or breaks the Hornets. I think he'll succeed. I see both teams splitting their home games and then getting wins on each other's courts in games 5 and 6, then the Hornets will pull out the big road win in game 7.

DA's prediction: Heat in 7.

Bucks vs Pistons: The Bucks are kind of like the Kings of the east (except their last month letdown wasn't as monumentally embarassing) in that they had home court advantage in the fourth spot 2 days ago and now slip to 6th seed and win the privelege of playing the best defensive team in the league this side of San Antonio. The Pistons have a great lockdown defense and an excellent coach in Larry Brown. While I like the depth of the Bucks, a lot of their key guys don't have the playoff experience needed to go anywhere. The Bucks picked a hell of a time to slump in the season, whereas the Pistons have surged since acquiring Rasheed Wallace. I see the Pistons sweeping here.

DA's prediction: Pistons in 4.

Nets vs Knicks: The health of Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin is only part of the equation as to determining who will win this series. Stephon Marbury is the other part of this equation. If Marbury makes this series about him vs. Kidd, the Knicks will go down in flames. Kidd will use his team to win and isn't stupid enough to get into a shootout with Marbury. If Marbury runs his team like he's supposed to and slows the tempo of the game down, the Knicks have a shot at the upset. The Knicks absolutely have to slow the game down because they cannot run with the deer-like players that fill the lanes for Kidd. The Knicks do have playoff experienced guys, so we'll see what they can do. I see the Knicks splitting the series first 2 games and actually going up 3-1 after 4. I then see the Nets start to gear up and win the next 2 to tie and win in dramatic fashion in a game 7.

DA's prediction: Nets in 7.

Those are my picks. Choke on it, cause that's how it's going down.

Lazy prediciton time.

EAST:

1-Indiana vs 8-Boston (Pacers in 5)

4-Miami vs 5-New Orleans (Heat in 7)

3-Detroit vs 6-Milwaukee (Pistons in 4)

2-NJ vs 7-NY (Nets in 6)

WEST:

1-Minnesota vs 7-Denver (Wolves in 7, giving their fans a scare before finally making it to the 2nd round)

4-Sacramento vs 5-Dallas (Mavericks in 6)

3-San Antonio vs 6-Memphis (Spurs in 5)

2-Lakers vs 7-Rockets (Lakers in 6)

And if by some miracle we escape the first round, we play Minnesota or Denver. The Rockets matched up well against both of them in the regular season.

Uh, what? Better check your brackets again. Rockets would get the Spurs/Grizz winner if they somehow survive the Lakers.

I will say I'm glad things turned out the way they did in the west. The Rockets match up much better against LA than they do against Sacramento. I know the Lakers will kick it into high gear now, but the series will be more competitive than you think. I wouldn't be surprised if Houston catches LA slacking in Game 1.

I would be surprised. If Karl Malone is healthy, the Rockets have just about a zero percent chance of winning more than 1 game in the series simply because they have no one on the front line that can contain both Shaq AND Malone. The Rockets' forwards are garbage, and will be the main reason they get beat by the Lakers in 5 (lose both in LA, split at home, lose in LA).

Plus, Yao has looked dog-tired lately, and has never faced a playoff-focused and ready Shaq...he's gonna have some serious problems controlling him. Cato might actually be a better option to guard Shaq, at least for part of the time. And you just KNOW that Francis is gonna do something stupid late in a game and cost them big time.

Now, if for some reason Malone isn't fully healthy, then who knows. Anything could happen, I suppose, but I just really don't see anything more than one, maybe two, wins for the Rockets. That's still better than no playoffs for five years, though.

Guest NCJ

What are you talking about the Knicks not having any playoff experience? All of their important players have atleast two years of playoff basketball under their belt. Mohammed with the 76ers, Mutumbo everywhere he has been, Tim Thomas in Milwaukee, Kurt Thomas in NY, Marbury in Minnesota and Pheonix, Baker in Boston, every they all have played playoff basketball before. Honestly I still like the Nets to win if they are healthy, but the Knicks are still dangerous.

Guest Crazy Dan

1-Indiana vs 8-Boston - I like Indiana in this one. O'neil is the best center in the East. Artest gives them great defense. Larry Brown is a winner who knows how to win. Boston has Paul Pierce, and a team which played very well to get into the playoffs. I still think Ainge has no real clue what he is doing. And with only one real threat in Pierce, who more than likely will get Artest in his face, I see the Pacers winning in 5.

4-Miami vs 5-New Orleans (Heat in 7) - Who'd a thunk it. Miami gets rid of Riley, hires a Van Gundy, who I might add looks like he never has step foot on a court. They then are fortuantely to draft Wade (who would be the ROY most other years when Melo and Lebron might not have been in the draft) and all of the sudden the Heat go from the boring teams of Riley (and let's face it, Riley has not had one exciting team since Magic was his Point Guard, and he had a team any high school coach could have ran) to a team that has Eddie Jones, Wade, and Odam. No this is a team that is actually fun to watch, and has the capability of running with any team, and in some cases running a team off the flook. I also like Grant as the undersize work horse, who gives you that hustle that I love to see. But who is the Heat's Center? I mean, there a greater mystery in this universe?

As for the New Orleans ( they really need to trade Utah for it's nickname, being that I am pretty sure a large majority of the people in Utah are sure they can find a reason why Jazz is a sin, and also since Jazz orginated in N.O,it would only make sense, but I digreess). Baron Davis and Mashburn are very good players. And well I took a look at the rest of the roster, and well it really doesn't strike fear into the heart of the opposing team. Wesley is a dangerous 3 shooter. PJ Brown is a solid big man, and Magloire was an All Star (?) but in a Confrence where their is O'neil, and everyone else, that is not saying much. But I think this could be a good series. Both teams are solid and will play tough. But I think that Miami has too many weapons for the Hornets to handle, and will fall in 7 (Miami does have a good future ahead)

3-Detroit vs 6-Milwaukee - I will get into why Detroit will make it to the Finals, but will not have enough to win it all in a lil bit. But this is the best defensive team in the League. Rasheed Wallace has made a major impact, the best trade made at the deadline this year. And Wallace has been a model citizen since arriving(must have real crappy weed in Detroit, or some thing. With him, he gives Detroit another scoring option, and a proven clutch scorer. The Pistons now have the luxary of having two top tier Power Forwards (Ben/Rasheed). Both are great defenders, with Rasheed being the solid offensive player, and Ben being one of the best defenders, I like to see you try to shoot over this monster. Rip Hamaliton is solid scorer, who can get you at least 15 points a night. Prince has developed into very nice Forward who also can get double digit points.

As for Milwaukee, this was a suprise team to me. First thet trade Allen away for Payton, who booked right after season to try to win a ring. And so we are left with a team that has no right to make the playoffs, right? Well also in the Allen trade the Bucks get Desmond Mason, who had a very good year. Michael Redd also greatly improved into one of the better shooters in the league. Trading for Van Horn also proved to be a great pick up (as first the 76ers complained about him, and then the Knicks as well, until he was gone, and now all of the forementioned teams wish he was still playing on their team. Also, even though I though Ford should have stayed one more year, he turned in a very fine rookie season, even though I would highly recommend not running into my boy MadDog Madsen when he throws a screen. This is very athletic team which has suprised me with their ability to stay in games. Unfortunately, the Bucks are a team of great role players, but they really don't have that one bonafide star to help push them to the next round. Detroit's D will prove too much for them to handle, and without a superstart who can overcome the D, the Bucks might win 1 game, but I have a feeling that Detroit is going to win this on 4-1.

2-NJ vs 7-NY To make long story short, the Knicks played well to make the playoffs. Zeke made some good trades, Marbury, Hardaway, and Thomas. And yet, the biggest problem is that they face a team which knows how to get to the Finals. Kidd is still one of the top point guards. K-Mart, might not be the most powerful PF, but he still drives defendents crazy with his quickness, finesse, and power when it is needed. Who is going to guard Jefferson? And Kittles, when healthy, is a very solid scorer who can get you much needed points. The Nets know how to win, and will be very prepared. The Knicks sorta of snuck under the NBA radar this year (to me). And so I am not too sure how well they will play the Nets, since they are the Knicks, I see the Nets winning this one in 5 or 6. Of course if the health of Martin and Kidd are not 100%, then we could have the upset of the first round (God help us all, I am sorry, but the Knicks are just not fun to watch. And I don't a repeat where they kept winning until they reached the Spurs, and then managed to revert back to the 8th seed and get swept) Plus the less of Spike Lee trash talking, even though it would be funny to see him get thrown into the second row would be comedy at its best). But I think Kidd and K-Mart are healthy, and the Knicks go home.

WEST:

1-Minnesota vs 8-Denver - Welcome to the Playoffs Mr Anthony, may this be the start of many more trips. Unfortunately you face a team that did a great job building a very solid cast around the MVP Garnett. And the T-Wolves play great defense as well. And with Cassell and Latrell, now the Wolves have more than one option to take the game winning shot. I think that the Wolves have a great starting five and a deeper bench. With Cassell and Latrell, you now have players who know how to win, and that will help big time. This will be the year the first round exits finally end for the Wolves and they go to round 2. I do think that Denver did play well down the road. They will not quit. Anthony will continue to get better, and I see them stealing a game or two. But, the Wolves have more experience in the playoffs and too many weapons for the Nuggetts to handle. Wolves win in 5, but the games will be closer than the 4-1 win will indicate. Melo picks up valuable experience, and will continue to develope into great player, we all think he be.

4-Sacramento vs 5-Dallas - Man, talk about the worse of luck. Webber has knee sugery, is out for a good chunk of time. Upon his return, he then gets suspended for 7 more games. Before his return, the Kings were playing like the best team in the NBA. Brad Miller was great trade, who fit in nicely. Peja took over as the main scorer for the Kings. The chemestry was great, and with Webber on his return, I really thought the Kings would regain the magic they had until Webber blew his knee out against the Mav's (sorry Spurs, if Webber stays healthy, the would have beaten you, but I digress) Unfortunately, the league then suspends Webber for 7 additional games, and I really do this hurt Webber, as instead of have two more weeks to get into shape, he had less, and boy did the chemestry suffer. And so the Kings, go from the best record all the way down to fourth seed. I think Bill Simmons would describe this as the "Ewing Theory". Now, the Kings did look really good against the Lakers. If they play like that, then look out. Or if the play like they did against the Warriors, then they are in deep trouble. For the Kings to win this one, Adelman, needs to put the best team out there. If Webber can't do the job, then he comes off the bench. Also Peja needs more shots. And a return of Bobby Jackson is also needed.

This is your typical Mav's team. All offense, one real stopper on defense. And they do have many offensive weapons. I didn't follow this team as well, but I know they are all offense and still to this day wonder what defense really is. So who wins what should be the best series of the first round. Well, last year the Mavs benefitted from Webber's knee blowing out. Game 1 of that series showed me that the Mavs were in deep trouble. Webber's knee gives out and the Mavs pull it out in 7. The Mav's love to play run and gun, so do the Kings. I think the Kings play slightly better defense than the Mavs. Bibby I think will be burninig Nash now and then. With Vlade and Miller, the Kings have two centers that are very good. The Mavs have, uhhh, Bradley, an undersized Fortson, and Nowitski, who we all know, will not crash the boards, because he is a lil soft and hates the contact. And who do you thinkn will be playing with a pissed off feeling of blowing the Pacific lead like they did? The Kings. With all that said, the Kings will benefit from home court, and beat the Mavs in 7, in a series which asks the question "what is defense again"?

3-San Antonio vs 6-Memphis - I am getting a lil tired, so in a nutshell. West did a great job building the Grizzlies. Hubie Brown is the Coach of the Year. And in the end the Spurs are too hot. Gasol will be made Duncan's bitch, and the Spurs win in 5. But the Grizzlies are going to be a good franchise for many years to come, especially when Kobe jumps ship over here (speculation).

2-Lakers vs 7-Rockets - Ahh the Lakers, when the season started, I am sure every die hard in LA already placed orders for the 2003-2004 Championship T-Shirts. I know I would be excited about them too with the addition of Payton and Malone. I am sure they were all excited and bragging and stuff. Of course the one thing that got overlooked. Karl Malone is about 5 years past his prime. The Glove no longer has the speed he once had. Now these players are still very good, but Malone has now gone from being unbreakable, to injured list regular. Also, I would be concerned with Malone's ankle injury. This is not what the Lakers need, an all ready deterioriating NBA great losing another step.

Payton spent most of the season watching quicker point guards run circles around him. So his defense is no longer reliable, but he gives you solid numbers. Shaq actually got into shape and Kobe played through a rape charge over his head. I can't figure this team out. They look great for stretches, but this team is no means a lock for the title. Their transition defense sucks. Kobe has proven that he will pout anytime anyone mentions that this thing passing might help and be productive, especially when you have double teams and no where else to go. That performance against the Kings was big example of Kobe being a brat, and I know Kobe is so great, but when you pull crap like that, it just makes you look like arrogrant. This team could win at all. But, out of all the teams they get, they get the one team I am sure they do wish they did not have to play.

The Rockets have shown no fear against the Lakers. Yao provides a big man, who is not as imposing as Shaq, but can block shots, and has a jump shot which can't not be blocked. And also, just watch when Gary Payton watches Steve Francis go by him time and time again. And if you think Fisher will do better, that is even more funny. Look at Kobe to move on Francis, and Mobley to make Payton wish he was 5 years younger. This is going to be a challenge to the Lakers. And if the Lakers are spending time measuring their rings, they could be upset, well almost. Look for this to go 6-7 games and the Lakers will show that their chemestry is not the same it was of all three in row they won.

Uh, what? Better check your brackets again. Rockets would get the Spurs/Grizz winner if they somehow survive the Lakers.

Ah, my bad. I don't know what I was looking at.

I know Houston usually sucks against good teams, but they always play a competitive game against LA. I can see it lasting 7, but I'm not sure Houston pulls out a win. However, if Houston doesn't bring its A-game every night, they'll be down and out in 4 or 5. I agree with you on Malone's play being critical.

2-NJ vs 7-NY To make long story short, the Knicks played well to make the playoffs. Zeke made some good trades, Marbury, Hardaway, and Thomas. And yet, the biggest problem is that they face a team which knows how to get to the Finals. Kidd is still one of the top point guards. K-Mart, might not be the most powerful PF, but he still drives defendents crazy with his quickness, finesse, and power when it is needed. Who is going to guard Jefferson? And Kittles, when healthy, is a very solid scorer who can get you much needed points. The Nets know how to win, and will be very prepared. The Knicks sorta of snuck under the NBA radar this year (to me). And so I am not too sure how well they will play the Nets, since they are the Knicks, I see the Nets winning this one in 5 or 6. Of course if the health of Martin and Kidd are not 100%, then we could have the upset of the first round (God help us all, I am sorry, but the Knicks are just not fun to watch. And I don't a repeat where they kept winning until they reached the Spurs, and then managed to revert back to the 8th seed and get swept) Plus the less of Spike Lee trash talking, even though it would be funny to see him get thrown into the second row would be comedy at its best). But I think Kidd and K-Mart are healthy, and the Knicks go home.

So you are trying to say that the 1999 New York Knicks where not fun to watch?!?! Maybe you missed Game 5 of the First Round Series Vs. the Heat or Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Pacers!!! Maybe this is because I am a life long Knicks fan but I thought that run to the NBA Finals was just great!!! Oh and they actually lost in 5 to the Spurs they did not get swept!!!

Thanks.

Okay, here's where the nerves start to kick in...

We're three hours from tip-off in Game 1 of Pacers-Celtics. Last year, we lost game one (it was all Isiah's fault) and never recovered. So I'm really pessimistic about this one. Hopefully, our confidence won't be as frail as it was after said loss, so if we lose one of THESE home games, we can recover and finally get back out of the first round. If we win Game One, I can rest knowing we can win this series.

As a Celtic fan I assure you the Pacers have nothing to worry about. Isiah is long gone, and Boston is a disgrace for a playoff team.

Guest OctoberBlood

Doesn't matter who is playing the Pacers in the 1st round, not many teams has any chance to beating them. Hopefully Boston can sneak out a few wins for enjoyment, and possibly shock some people, lol, but obviously the clear favorite is Indy.

Jiri Welcsh needs to step up big. Go Celts.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

This Knicks/Nets game is pretty good. New Jersey hasn't run away with the game yet and I could easily see New York going far if they survive this round and get Houston back later.

Guest Redhawk

My roommate and I were talking about who is the Derek Jeter of the NBA: the guy who is good in the regular season, but is just The Man in the playoffs. My vote goes to Tony Parker. 14 pts, 5.5 dimes in the regular season, but he's fuckining dominating this Memphis game. And last year in the playoffs he was killin' everyone.