TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

The OAO NBA Playoffs/Finals Thread

You always hear that in the playoffs the officials are gonna let teams play and they won't call touch fouls, so you see it during the Rockets/Lakers game, yet watching the Kings/Mavs, it seemed like every single itty bitty thing was called.

Guest TheArchiteck

I was greatly enjoying that Pistons game.

Talk about defense!

But man, Darko turned over the ball 2-3 times in less than a minute.

You always hear that in the playoffs the officials are gonna let teams play and they won't call touch fouls, so you see it during the Rockets/Lakers game, yet watching the Kings/Mavs, it seemed like every single itty bitty thing was called.

It was funny in that game. they called the touch fouls but got no call when they would beat the everloving shit out of each other. I wasn't really sure what to call that.

And Tim Duncan came out there like a beast in game one didn't he.

I expected opening game jitters from most of the first timers out there, but I expect alot closer games as the series go on.

I looked it up in the NBA guide and this is the first time since 1990 that all eight home teams have won Game 1.

Oh yeah, my thoughts on some other stuff.

Brandon Hunter pulling a JoJo English against the Pacers was a cute try, but what is even more pathetic is The Celtics coach lobbying for the suspension of Ron Artest for leaving the bench...even though Artest left only about 4 feet from the bench and OBVIOUSLY was there to get Jermaine from getting suspended.

That shit was just plain sad. You take a guy that never plays from deep off the bench, have him grab and throw the teams leader and best player to the ground for no reason and he and Ricky davis jump in his face, then have the nerve to bitch about something as simple as artest walking a few feet from the bench.

You would think the JoJo method wouldn't work anymore but I love to see it tried. Thats when you know you have a desparate coach.

Oh and Sam Cassell...goddamn.

pulling a JoJo English

Explain plz~

I can't remember the exact year(someone should be able to help me on this one) but the Bulls are playing the Knicks and Derek Harper is KILLING them every game so far. He is being ungodly from three, his defense is amazing, he is basically the catalyst that is giving the bulls problems and the Knicks I believe are ahead in the series at this point.

So here is this game and me and my friends are watching the game and look out there and see JoJo English. Bulls 3(or fourth) string point guard who is NEVER in the game. EVER. JoJo guards Derek coming up court and for no reason SWINGS on him and tries to throw him down. Derek swings JoJO into the scorers table and beats the ever loving shit out of him, bench clearer to break it up. Of course...every bull player stays on the bench, derek is thrown out along with JOJO and is suspended for the rest of the series for throwing punches.

Everyone with half a mind knows that Phil sent JoJo inthere to take out Harper.

Thats what the Celtics pulled the other night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2004...tory?id=1785567

ANd the NBA bites on the cheap tactic.

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Pacers forward Ron Artest was suspended for Game 2 of Indiana's first-round playoff series with Boston for briefly leaving the bench during an altercation in Saturday's opener, the league announced Monday.

The teams resume their series Tuesday night at Conseco Fieldhouse. Artest played a huge role in Indiana's dominating 104-88 victory over the Celtics in Game 1.

Artest's suspension was announced by Stu Jackson, the NBA's senior vice president of basketball operations.

Artest left the bench during a confrontation between teammate Jermaine O'Neal and Boston's Brandon Hunter and Ricky Davis.

In the second quarter, Hunter grabbed O'Neal and threw him to the floor. O'Neal got up and immediately confronted Hunter, then drew a technical for yelling at Davis.

Artest, who was on the bench at the time, started onto the court when he saw O'Neal lose his composure, but turned and headed back to the bench after about four steps.

"I thought they were about to start fighting," Artest said. "I just wanted to tell Jermaine to calm down. When I sensed they were going to fight, I had to run back."

Artest said he gave a statement to a league official on Sunday morning and was assured that he would not be suspended. He scored 24 points and shut down Paul Pierce for the final three quarters of the Pacers' easy win

The Celtics lobbied hard for a suspension.

No shit they lobbied hard.

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Pacers forward Ron Artest was suspended for Game 2 of Indiana's first-round playoff series with Boston for briefly leaving the bench during an altercation in Saturday's opener, the league announced Monday.

The teams resume their series Tuesday night at Conseco Fieldhouse. Artest played a huge role in Indiana's dominating 104-88 victory over the Celtics in Game 1.

Artest's suspension was announced by Stu Jackson, the NBA's senior vice president of basketball operations.

Artest left the bench during a confrontation between teammate Jermaine O'Neal and Boston's Brandon Hunter and Ricky Davis.

In the second quarter, Hunter grabbed O'Neal and threw him to the floor. O'Neal got up and immediately confronted Hunter, then drew a technical for yelling at Davis.

Artest, who was on the bench at the time, started onto the court when he saw O'Neal lose his composure, but turned and headed back to the bench after about four steps.

"I thought they were about to start fighting," Artest said. "I just wanted to tell Jermaine to calm down. When I sensed they were going to fight, I had to run back."

Artest said he gave a statement to a league official on Sunday morning and was assured that he would not be suspended. He scored 24 points and shut down Paul Pierce for the final three quarters of the Pacers' easy win

The Celtics lobbied hard for a suspension.

That's really all you need to read...

I was a little pissed when I first found out about this, but no longer since finding THIS out...

As per my predictions...

I think the Spurs will win again tonight. It won't be as lopsided as Hubie and Co. will make some adjustments, but I think the Spurs will win in a close one.

I'm thinking the Lakers will win tonight as well and will win by double digits. They were kind of embarassed by their game 1 performance and will want to assure the league that they are still a powerhouse to be reckoned with. The Rockets simply do not have enough talent and depth and since this is a series, I think you will start to see the matchup problems start to become more clear.

Guest Redhawk

Artest's suspension is bullshyte. He "left the bench" in the same manner that every coach has ever "left the bench" whenever they don't get a call they wanted. But I'm glad he won Defensive Player of the Year.

As per my predictions...

I think the Spurs will win again tonight. It won't be as lopsided as Hubie and Co. will make some adjustments, but I think the Spurs will win in a close one.

I'm thinking the Lakers will win tonight as well and will win by double digits. They were kind of embarassed by their game 1 performance and will want to assure the league that they are still a powerhouse to be reckoned with. The Rockets simply do not have enough talent and depth and since this is a series, I think you will start to see the matchup problems start to become more clear.

Same here.

It's ridiculous that Artest was suspeded. It's not like he got involved and you can see he purposely turned around and walked back off court. To me, it's hypocritical to suspend Artest for catching himself before doing something stupid, and that Collins was allowed to clobber Tim Thomas and gets away with it.

Well, so much for that. The Grizzlies just look totally overmatched. The Spurs have that look of, "OK, the games count now, NOW watch what we can do."

This series will be over in 4 straight.

On the first page of this thread, I predicted the Spurs to sweep. The Spurs defense can and will keep them in games, especially on the road, when their offense isn't firing on all cylinders. The Lakers have a good chance of sweeping as well, but I think the Rockets will be good for one game in that series.

The Lakers will either sweep, or be up 3-0 before they lose a game to the Rockets. The Rockets have just wasted two poor performances by the Lakers and came away with losses. Yeah the Lakers kind of woke up at the END of Game 2, but still the Rockets had their chance in both games. If the Lakers step it up AT ALL, the Rockets are toast.

Hopefully the Kings can win tonight. Would be nice to take a 2-0 lead into Dallas and force their hand. I will be in class for tipoff, but should be home for the entire 2nd half.

Thanks, Houston.

You made me look like a complete moron for predicting this series would go the full seven.

Thanks, Houston.

You made me look like a complete moron for predicting this series would go the full seven.

it's just 2-0 and they are a bad road team.

*cliche alert*

A playoff series doesn't start until someone wins on the road.

That shot last night was unfuckingbelievable!

Game 3 is the series for Houston. I don't think Jimmy Jackson can win by himself...Mobley needs to start hitting.

Oh, and Kareem Rush is absolutely pure.

Thanks, Houston.

it's just 2-0 and they are a bad road team.

*cliche alert*

A playoff series doesn't start until someone wins on the road.

Which the Lakers will do the next two games if they play ANY better than they did in the first two.

The lakers have played like pure shit for two straight games. Houston has played just as shitty or shittier.

If anyone is going to need to put together a good game, its the Lakers. If not for this series, for the next one.

Hubie deserves it. I'm disappointed that Terry Porter hasn't gotten much lip service when it comes to Coach of the Year talk. It all surrounds Hubie and Jerry Sloan. What Sloan did was amazing this year considering what the Jazz lost, but the Bucks were not supposed to make the playoffs this year and they did.

My hats off to Terry Porter.

Just heard on ESPN Radio that Hubie Brown will win Coach of the Year.

The job Hubie Brown did this year was amazing, no doubt. But Jerry Sloan is the real Coach of the Year. Terry Porter is probably third, behind Brown.

Sloan wins because he has shit for talent in Utah AND lost two of his best players to injuries (Clark and Harping). Taking that team to a 42-40 record in the Western Conference and only missing the playoffs by one game is quite the achievement.

Brown, while very solid, has lots of talented players on his roster...what is it, 6 or 7 lottery picks (more? I can't think off the top of my head.)? All of that and they still only won 8 more games than the Jazz. Great job...but not good enough.

Porter is third because, despite not having much to work with, he still took his team to only .500 in the freakin' Eastern conferece. Not to mention choking away the final three games of the year to fall to 6th place in the weak-ass East. Good, but not nearly enough to beat Sloan or Brown.

Well, it appears the Rockets did not bring their A-game to either game so far. They better win Friday and Sunday or they're done. Although, their recent performance gives me little confidence they can do that. The only slight hope is the Lakers haven't exactly been on fire with their play either.

Not like it matters, though. All these two teams are playing for is the right to job to the Spurs in the next round.