TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

The OAO NBA Playoffs/Finals Thread

Guest Choken One

Something tells me Malone heads either to the dormat Atlanta to rack up those career points or goes Home to give the struggling N.O franchise a "boost"...

As for Payton...He doesn't have the pts record draw like Malone...He could go home as well to Golden State...He might try to go to a Eastern team and take a seat on the bench and become a role player for a team like Phila(if they could get rid of AI) or perhaps the new Charlotte franchise.

Guest El Satanico

I'd say a Lakers team coming back to win after going down 2-0 would be worse for the Kings/Timberwolves.

I'm wondering where the Karl and Gary Magical Championship Journey will take them next.

ride the bench in San Antonio?

SA tried to get Karl during the off-season, but apparently he has some huge beef with Timmy.

That Tim is twice the PF he ever was and he doesn't have arguably the best point guard ever getting him the ball every play?

I would say that at the end of both their careers, Duncan and Malone would be equal. They both have completely different playing styles. I wouldn't put Parker over Stockton or Isaiah.

Guest El Satanico

He wasn't putting Parker over Stockton or Isiah. He was saying that unlike Malone, Duncan doesn't have one of the best PGs ever getting him the ball.

He wasn't putting Parker over Stockton or Isiah. He was saying that unlike Malone, Duncan doesn't have one of the best PGs ever getting him the ball.

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for jumping on you, Ripper. Too little sleep will do that to you.

Guest Redhawk

So is Duncan better now than Malone was in his prime?

And again, why the hell isn't Duncan playing center?

I think Duncan is better than Malone. Duncan wins Championshsips and to me, thats an instant sign of greatness. Malone might statistically be better, but Duncan makes the team win, which should be goal number 1 for anybody. Duncan > Malone.

Guest Choken One

not to dis-agree here but Tim Duncun never faced Jordan twice in the Finals...He got the eight seed Knicks and the Nets whom weren't that great.

If Duncun wins this one...It has to over the Pistons...a team that actually can play with the spurs...beating the Nets won't really help T.D's record.

Not saying that his two titles are something to sneeze at...im just saying...Malone, Payton, Barkley, Ewing, Miller had to deal with Jordan...

Duncan hasn't really been challenged.

And again, why the hell isn't Duncan playing center?

Because the 7 foot PF is now the premiere position. And the Pop system works better with him as the PF.

I think Duncan is better than Malone. Duncan wins Championshsips and to me, thats an instant sign of greatness. Malone might statistically be better, but Duncan makes the team win, which should be goal number 1 for anybody. Duncan > Malone.

So you're putting Tim Duncan over John Stockton, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler? Duncan's good, I don't doubt that. But the level of competition in the NBA has been gone since the '98 lockout, I mean the bottom just dropped out. In the 90s there were so many good players and so many loaded teams, it's just that the Bulls dominated so much that a lot of guys, like Stockton & Malone, couldn't get the spotlight to themselves in all their years.

So while this era of the San Antonio Spurs has been very good, if they were to go back in time, I don't think they could beat Stockton's Jazz, Magic's Lakers, and certainly not Jordan's Bulls.

not to dis-agree here but Tim Duncun never faced Jordan twice in the Finals...He got the eight seed Knicks and the Nets whom weren't that great.

If Duncun wins this one...It has to over the Pistons...a team that actually can play with the spurs...beating the Nets won't really help T.D's record.

Not saying that his two titles are something to sneeze at...im just saying...Malone, Payton, Barkley, Ewing, Miller had to deal with Jordan...

Duncan hasn't really been challenged.

But Tim Duncan did go thru a team that has 2 HOF players and a coach who will join them as well, also said team gets the god push by the league and commish which made special rules such as expanding the playoffs to round 7 games for every round...............this team of premadonas is the LAKERS

I guess a comparison to the 88-89 Pistons can be done since they had to go thru the Bird/McHale/Parrish Celtics.

I mean the bottom just dropped out. In the 90s there were so many good players and so many loaded teams

Too many highschool kids in the league has hurt the competition. Not every street ball prodigy can be as good as Lebron James or Amare Stoudimare.

Guest Redhawk

It's not too many high school kids. It's too many GMs and scouts picking potential over skills.

Guest El Satanico

I'm actually more interested in the NBA now that the old guard is gone. I haven't gave a shit about the league for nearly ten years now, but now that most of the old guys are gone I'm finding myself getting interested again.

Guest Flyboy
It's not too many high school kids. It's too many GMs and scouts picking potential over skills.

Prime example:

Some teams would probably pick Dwight Howard over Emeka Okafor. Give me a fucking break.

Guest Redhawk

Also, Shaun Livingston will get picked ahead of Jameer Nelson. Sebastian Telfair probably will be picked ahead of Nelson, too.

So you're putting Tim Duncan over John Stockton Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler?

Drexler won a championship in '95.

He's better than Ewing.

Duncan, Barkley, Malone, McHale are the greatest PFs ever (not necessarily in that order).

He's not really comparible to Stockton.

Guest Flyboy
Also, Shaun Livingston will get picked ahead of Jameer Nelson. Sebastian Telfair probably will be picked ahead of Nelson, too.

Livingston would, but I doubt it about Telfair.

So you're putting Tim Duncan over John Stockton, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler? Duncan's good, I don't doubt that. But the level of competition in the NBA has been gone since the '98 lockout, I mean the bottom just dropped out. In the 90s there were so many good players and so many loaded teams, it's just that the Bulls dominated so much that a lot of guys, like Stockton & Malone, couldn't get the spotlight to themselves in all their years.

The league sucked after about the 92-93 season when all the great players got old and/or injured. This "loaded teams" thing...not true. There was no competition and thats why the bulls walked through the league for their second three peat.

The reason Karl Malone sucks is that he is HISTORICALLY a HORRIBLE player in the 4th quarter, all the way back to the 80's. They guy can't deliever in the clutch, never has been able too. Think of Steve Francis. If the game is down to one shot, you don't want the ball in his hands because he turns it over in clutch situations.

As a matter of fact, who turned the ball over 2 years back to back on the Jazz's final possesion against the bulls?

The Jazz went through the late 80's and early 90's getting pummeled by teams that in theory were not as good as them(sonics, SUNS :headbang: , earlier San Antonio teams) because Karl was thier go to guy and he couldn't perform when it counted.

Guys like Stockton, Ewing, Barkley, Reggie Miller...they all constantly proved themselves in the playoffs and came up short. But each of them can claim ungodly performances when they fought tooth and nail. Karl can point out how he played good for 3 quarters at a time.

The "how dare you not win after we trade the number one, number two scorer, top rebounder, and leagues top shot-blocker for bench players" firing.

Stotts deserves another chance somewhere.

The Hawks actually did *better* after trading all those guys.

The most amazing stat of Lakers-Spurs game 2 is Kobe shooting TWO free throws. That's just...wow.

Pacers win game One, but I won't deny that there was plenty of rust. Tinsley aside, our shooting was horrid. Artest and O'Neal combined to shoot 12-34, and overall we shot just over 30%. Artest at least got to the line plenty of times.

Pacers in 5, but I could definitely see another four-and-out.

The Hawks actually did *better* after trading all those guys.

The most amazing stat of Lakers-Spurs game 2 is Kobe shooting TWO free throws. That's just...wow.

Pacers win game One, but I won't deny that there was plenty of rust. Tinsley aside, our shooting was horrid. Artest and O'Neal combined to shoot 12-34, and overall we shot just over 30%. Artest at least got to the line plenty of times.

Pacers in 5, but I could definitely see another four-and-out.

Because Terry deployed the save your energy for offense plan. He just threw Jason terry, Chris Crawford, Stephen Jackson, and Bobby Surra out there sprinting on offense and putting up 120 a game and they saved their energy on defense.

those 130-136 games might bave made defense fans cringe, but I enjoyed them.

Tim Floyd just got fired by the Hornets. Read it on cnn.com

why!! He was the guy to take them over the top...not a guy that consistantly got them into the second round of the playoffs with a VERY injured squad, posted better records, and was respected by all his players like that HACK Paul Silas was.

Any GM who takes Telfair over Jameer Nelson needs their head examined. Nelson was one of the top Atlantic 10 players, EVER. While I don't doubt Telfair has potential to be good, I will take a proven leader who is physically and mentally mature to be a point guard in the league over the first under 6'0 high school player to enter the NBA draft.

A lot of coaches are sacrificial lambs for the incompetent GM's in this league. Not saying Floyd was the answer in NO or Stotts in A-Town, but look at how many coaching changes have occurred in the last season and a half. While some of it is finding the right coach with the right philosophy and the right personnel, a lot of it is the GM's in the league not giving the coaches the personnel that will fit their systems. There are a lot of so-so players who have been given big money contracts that aren't getting the job done, but the first person's head on the chopping block is the coach.

To add to the second paragraph, the Nuggets are nuts if they don't extend Bzdelik. How do you screw a guy who just helped the franchise reach the playoffs for the first time in 9 years? If Bzdelik gets canned, he should have no trouble finding a head coaching job and I wish him success in doing so. I'd also wish a curse upon the Nuggets organization for screwing over a perfectly good coach who did his job right.

Guest Unwritten Religion
Any GM who takes Telfair over Jameer Nelson needs their head examined. Nelson was one of the top Atlantic 10 players, EVER. While I don't doubt Telfair has potential to be good, I will take a proven leader who is physically and mentally mature to be a point guard in the league over the first under 6'0 high school player to enter the NBA draft.

Well, The Clippers want him badly.

Speaking of the Clippers.....

Kobe Bryant will be in a Clippers uniform(That is if he doesn't go to jail). Yep, I said it.

Guest TheArchiteck

Breaking up coach talk.

Pistons can score too guys....

They won 95-80 over the Nets.

2-0 lead Pistons.