TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Biggest team busts?

The Clippers, the last two or three seasons: Not this season, but the few seasons before the Clippers looked like a sure fire team of the future. They were kind of in the playoff race two years ago and looked only to be looking up and then Sterling didn't extend most of their contracts and now they're stuck with a bleh lower tier western conference team.

2001-2003 Mets, teams loaded with future Hall of Famers just totally fell apart every year and languished at the bottom of the NL East.

2001-2003 Texas Rangers, ARod, Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmeiro, eventually Hank Blalock and Marc Texiara all playing in a hitters park, should have been a home run enthusiast's wet dream. Plus with the addition of Chan Ho Park, they could have made a run at beating the Mariners and As. Instead three 90 loss seasons.

2003 Tampa Bay Bucs: Alright, they didn't lose anyone of not to free agency, almost the whole cast was returning. First week they shut out the Philadelphia Eagles. After they slowly self destruct and finish 7-9. I still don't quite get this one.

These are just can't miss teams that missed over the past few year, I'm sure people have others from years past.

2001-2003 Mets, teams loaded with future Hall of Famers just totally fell apart every year and languished at the bottom of the NL East.

Future Hall of Famers? I see Mike Piazza. Otherwise there's maybe four-five players who ever had any business appearing in an All-star game. The team went for the gusto in 2000, and fell short. I see no reason anything should have been expected from this team.

2001-2003 Texas Rangers, ARod, Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmeiro, eventually Hank Blalock and Marc Texiara all playing in a hitters park, should have been a home run enthusiast's wet dream. Plus with the addition of Chan Ho Park, they could have made a run at beating the Mariners and As. Instead three 90 loss seasons.

There were serious concerns about Park due to his road ERA. The runs have been there, but the pitching was abysmal. I certainly don't see this team as a should have been.

1995 Orlando Magic, maybe the biggest choke job in NBA Finals history.

2003 Pacers, started out 37-15, only one game worse than this season at that point, finished 11-19, blew a 17-point lead and lost game 1 vs Boston, never recovered and were eliminated in Round 1. This was a very humbling experience for us, however, and now we have homecourt throughout the playoffs. Most credit goes to the coaching change and Ron Artest's turnaround attitude-wise.

Portland Trail Blazers from 2000-this season: Deepest team in the NBA, but blew 15-point lead vs LA in WCF game 7 in 2000, and it's been all downhill from there. In fact, I don't think they've been past the first round since. Lots I think blame the post-2000 falter on the Shawn Kemp trade.

I meant to say the Mets had future potential hall of famers. Even then I may have been stretching it. The Mets should have at least been in the race till late August with those lineups.

I didn't say the Texas Rangers would have been even AL West champs but they could have been a helluva lot better then a 90 loss team. They had guy who's an MVP candidate every year in ARod, two guys who are potential 30 home run hitter especially in Coors South in Juan Gone and Raffi Palmeiro and Texiara and Hank Blalock aren't too bad of hitters either. Even if they didn't have good pitching they should have won 75-78 games a year and completely dominated at home.

Has their ever been an incident where a baseball team other then the Yankees goes on a crazy spending spree and it actually works for more then a couple years? I honestly can't remember one.

The 1998 Houston Astros. After they picked up the Big Unit at the trading deadline, they were the best team in the National League. But, as usual, their offense was miserable in the playoffs and they were sent packing in 4 by San Diego.

Not that they would have necessarily taken out the Yanks that year, but they should have at least had the chance.

Anglesault: "The Yankees any year they didn't win the WS"

For me though, it was the 1998 Vikings. Unleashing a new offensive weapon in Randy Moss, they steamrolled to a 15-1 record and looked like they were on their way to the expected dream matchup of the unstoppable force (them) and the immovable object (the Broncos), until the NFC championship game, when Dennis Green made some of the worst coaching calls, mismanaged the clock horribly and Gary Anderson shanked his only kick for the whole season...

Guest Anglesault
Anglesault: "The Yankees any year they didn't win the WS"

Absolutely. And that's not just limited to the Yankees.

But we had to bring up the biggest disasters.

Guest Anglesault
86 Red Sox...

That wasn't even so much bombing.

The Yankees utterly disgusting showing in last year's WS is bombing.

The Red Sox fluke lost.

The 1998 Houston Astros. After they picked up the Big Unit at the trading deadline, they were the best team in the National League. But, as usual, their offense was miserable in the playoffs and they were sent packing in 4 by San Diego.

Absolutely. That team was loaded after they picked up Johnson and it could have been a great World Series against the Yankees but alas same ol' Astros in the playoffs.

Of course I have to say the '01-'02 A's and '88 and '90 A's. All four won over 100 games but no World Titles to show for it.

1987 49ers. This team might have been better than the next two Super Bowl teams but they got burned in the Divisional Playoffs by Anthony Carter and the Vikings.

86 Red Sox were by no means a bust, they came back from a 3-1 defecit in the ALCS and came one weird fluke short of winning the World Series. A bust to me is a team that vastly underperformed and either didn't make the playoffs or was bounced early on (Ala the 98 Astros)

I'd say the MEts as well, only, it's not the 2001-2003 Mets because they had a blimp who was always injured, a guy (Burnitz) who could never get the job done in NY, and Alomar who was a shock.

My Mets team I would say were the 1993 Mets. Bobby Bonilla, Eddie Murray were signed. They had the highest payroll. All they did was go 59-103 and were officially called The Worst Team Money Can Buy

Was that the year where Bobby Bonilla challenged his teammate (Can't remember who it was) to a fight in front of all of those reporters? Ah, that was a classic moment in bad baseball team history.

2000 Vikings had a near perfect regular season then lost to the Giants in the playoffs 55-3 or something obscene.

2002-2005 Eagles This will include this upcoming season as well the team depends too much on Donovon F'N McNabb......one man cannot win the big game.

2003-2004 Rams is the media darling of football and is picked to win the Superbowl every year but nobody told Kurt Warner's wife.

I agree with the Mike Martz era Rams. Here is a team with the #1 Offense in football, and a good defense and they haven't won a single Super Bowl since taking over. 90% of the blame can be put on Martz shoddy playcalling and bad roster decisions. Had Vermiel stayed, they would have won a lot more. With unquestionably the best team in football on paper the last four years, Martz has had them barely make the playoffs only to lose the next week to New Orleans, losing one of the biggest Super Bowl upsets in history, missing the playoffs with a terrible 7-9 record for a team with that talent, and handing a divisional playoff game at home to the upstart Carolina Panthers. It amazes me that this bum still has a job.

1978 Red Sox, cruising into September by doing everything right while the Yankees were basically doing the opposite of the Sox then the Yanks come back to take the lead. Sox manage to tie on the final day of the season and then Bucky F'n Dent shows up...

Mike Martz has proved that he is not a very good in game strategy coach. I remember last year in the season opener the Rams trailt he Giants by a field goal. The Rams are easily in field goal range and Martz decides to go for it on 4th and 10 instead of just tying the game......ugh.......an example of how bad is coaching is.

Yes, that was the year Bonilla challenged a teammate to a fight in front of the media. If my memory serves me correct he wanted to fight Joe Orsulak

That wasn't even so much bombing.

The Yankees utterly disgusting showing in last year's WS is bombing.

The Red Sox fluke lost.

Yeah I know, it just still pisses me off at times.

I agree with the Mike Martz era Rams. Here is a team with the #1 Offense in football, and a good defense and they haven't won a single Super Bowl since taking over. 90% of the blame can be put on Martz shoddy playcalling and bad roster decisions. Had Vermiel stayed, they would have won a lot more. With unquestionably the best team in football on paper the last four years, Martz has had them barely make the playoffs only to lose the next week to New Orleans, losing one of the biggest Super Bowl upsets in history, missing the playoffs with a terrible 7-9 record for a team with that talent, and handing a divisional playoff game at home to the upstart Carolina Panthers. It amazes me that this bum still has a job.

Plus the fact that Warner is SO overrated. The man has 2 good years and he is marked as the man. But I am biased because I'm a Niners fan.

But if the Rams don't do well this year, Martz is going to get fired.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

1997 Yankees. Not that bad, but definitely their worst season between 1996-2000, and were knocked out in the ALDS vs. Clevland. I think that was the last year the Yankees were the Wild Card team for the A.L.

Has their ever been an incident where a baseball team other then the Yankees goes on a crazy spending spree and it actually works for more then a couple years? I honestly can't remember one.

Its never worked. The Yankees had 77-78, and that was it. Every dynasty since then (Oakland, Atlanta, Cleveland, and the Yankees) have been built on the foundation of a solid farm system.

New York Rangers every year since '98, or so. High payroll, lots of stars, not even one playoff appearance. I mean, just look at the players that they've had in that time span. Gretzky, Messier, Jagr, Lindros, Leetch, and the list goes on.

I'll add one of my own. The 1964 Philadelphia Phillies. Dick Allen, Tony Taylor, Senator Jim Bunning, Johnny Callison. The standings on September 20th.....

Team Name G W L PCT GB RS RA

Philadelphia Phillies 150 90 60 .600 - 645 564

Cincinnati Reds 150 83 66 .557 6.5 616 535

St. Louis Cardinals 149 83 66 .557 6.5 655 612

San Francisco Giants 150 83 67 .553 7.0 607 546

Milwaukee Braves 149 77 72 .516 12.5 721 691

Pittsburgh Pirates 148 76 72 .513 13.0 629 577

Los Angeles Dodgers 152 75 75 .500 15.0 569 539

Chicago Cubs 149 67 82 .449 22.5 598 681

Houston Colt .45s 151 63 88 .417 27.5 472 577

New York Mets 150 50 99 .335 39.5 527 717

6.5 games up, with 12 to go. The Phillies lost their next ten games. They lost the pennant by a single game. One of the most spectacular collapses in baseball history.

Guest Redhawk

1994 Seattle Supersonics. Jordan was gone. The road to the NBA title was wide open. Seattle had the best record in the NBA, winning 63 games I believe, and then lost in the first round to the Nuggets. At the time it was the first time an 8-seed had ever beaten a 1-seed.

And then in 1995, the Sonics lost in the first round AGAIN, this time to the Nick Van Exel/Cedric Ceballos-led Lakers.

I would have to say that the Orlando Magic of recent years certainly counts. They signed Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady to make the team great, and it blew up in their face. After a few seasons where they did mediocre in the playoffs, the team is horrible this year. Meanwhile, one of the guys they lost(Ben Wallace) has led the Pistons to be one of the best teams in the East. It is kind of funny how that worked out in the end.

The 2003-04 Magic could and should be considered a major disappointment. Last year, they played Detroit (1 seed) to 7 games and everyone had high hopes coming into this year. The first game this year, they beat the Pistons on the road... and then proceed to lose 19 straight en route to possibly 63 losses this year.

The 96 Rockets should also be mentioned. Hakeem, Drexler, and Barkley all for nothing.

I also must agree with the 2003 Bucs.

How about the 1995 and 1996 Detroit Red Wings. They were swept by the Devils which was shocking enough and then they roll through the rest of the league in 96 with 62 wins only to lose to fucking Colorado in 6 games in the WCF