TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Albums Listened to Today

except for bowie, this was "raid my girlfriend's cd collection because i'm bored with my own taste" day.

twilight singers - blackberry belle

bjork - homogenic

david bowie - hunky dory

brian wilson - smile

george michael - faith

elastica - elastica

the streets - original pirate material

the strokes - is this it

greg dulli continues to amaze me by being really good but totally unmemorable for making all his songs sound exactly the same. the elastica is really good, like if you sped up 'american thighs' enough to last 30 minutes.

godthedog, how do you feel about the Strokes?

i'm not really sure yet, but i think i kind of like them. i thought they were monotonous when they first blew up, but franz ferdinand have made me a lot more open to beat-heavy, retroish, 'play every song the same way' bands. as far as that goes, they seem pretty good, but franz ferdinand they are not.

Guest Felonies!

I think I've been pretty vocal about being underwhelmed by the Strokes. All style, no substance, if you ask me, which you didn't.

Guest Felonies!

I don't remember what I listened to today, but I can tell you I'm going to listen to Regina Spektor's Songs followed by her recent Begin To Hope.

Guest Felonies!

On a related funk-ruined-by-light-jazz note, I was listening to some Tower Of Power the other day, and as much as I love the great stuff, they churned out a whole lotta crap, usually in the late 80s.

i agree with the herbie thing. people rave about headhunters, but its like sesame sreet compared to his stuff with miles. in fact, herbie is sorta responsible for annihilating fusion in general. dare i say fusion was sorta the root of elevator music in general. if done poorly, its the most dreadful thing ever.

anyway

i listened to trap muzik today. i am descending down t.i.'s brief discography. king is my fav album of 2006. my favorite rap album in YEARS. sorta has a doggystyle quality for me. not in sound, but just general party vibe where i look forward to everything, cept the illconceived rap ballads. blame tupac for that one, kiddies.

Guest Felonies!
dare i say fusion was sorta the root of elevator music in general.

I think of that Beautiful Music stuff as the earliest elevator music, but yeah, I see what you mean. Fusion is like that poisonous blowfish: it's great when done correctly, but one false move and BAM DEAD

Guest TheGregWitul
Also, I can tell you that Herbie Hancock was incapable of making a solid funk album. He always got caught up in some light and cheesy contemporary jazz keyboard shit.

This isn't really true. 'Fat Albert Rotunda' and 'Sextant' are solid funk albums (The former especially, while 'Sextant' is more abstract and free, with a bit of funk. Truly underrated album, btw).

j.

f13446pupb6.jpg

h09808fiwfn.jpg

g74997fzop0.jpg

e050593jij9.jpg

h34474ux30i.jpg

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead-Source Codes and Tags First time I listened to it in a good year. By and large enjoyable.

Wilco-Kickin' Television Disc 2. Wilco's really great live. I wish that the version of "Via Chicago" on the CD was the slowed up steel guitar one they played when they were in Houston last year.

Micah P. Hinson and the Gospel of Progress-Micah P. Hinson and the Gospel of Progress If this had come out this year, it would be my favorite record of the year, but it came out last year, but I first heard it this year. Really great stuff. Highly recommended.

Townes Van Zandt-Live at the Old Quarter Not a day goes by that I don't listen to Townes Van Zandt.

Johnny Cash-A Hundred Highways Fantastic. I can listen without irony as Cash stays to non-Soundgarden/NIN alternative songs.

anglophilia day.

the animals - the singles, vol. 1

'the train kept rollin' (sony compilation), disc 2

blur - blur

rolling stones - beggars banquet

derek and the dominos - layla and other assorted love songs

pulp - different class

The first is half is seriously hampered by those squiggly, cheesy synth lines all throught the songs; just because MES is fucking the girl playing them doesn't mean she should be in the band. So, I like when the synthesizer disappears for most of the second half. And "Blindness" and "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" are pretty great.

The first is half is seriously hampered by those squiggly, cheesy synth lines all throught the songs; just because MES is fucking the girl playing them doesn't mean she should be in the band. So, I like when the synthesizer disappears for most of the second half. And "Blindness" and "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" are pretty great.

Kind of almost agreed except for 'What About Us?' which rocks my sox. 'Blindness' is great when you're walking to walk in the morning.

The new Nick Cave thing, Grinderman. On the third or fourth listen now, and no, it's not very good. Frustratingly close to being good in places, but put simply, nothing happens throughout the entire album.