TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Albums Listened to Today

Guest דניא&#15
I tried listening to the Ting Tings but couldn't get past a couple of tracks. It's WAY to pop-ish for me.

Fucking useless. Music for people who can't listen to music without texting some other cunt-for-a-face.

"Shut Up and Let Me Go" riff of the year?

I woke up with the urge to listen to Elliot Smith. I have no idea why. Am I depressed? Did I wake up and I'm 19 again? I'd forgotten how much I like these albums, though.

Someone give me a good Nick Cave album to start with. Is Let Love In one?

edit: I have heard Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!. It was okay, but he's in his fifties or something so I know there's much better.

Someone give me a good Nick Cave album to start with. Is Let Love In one?

edit: I have heard Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!. It was okay, but he's in his fifties or something so I know there's much better.

To start with, I'd say The Boatman's Call or Tender Prey.

d54798rvsxk.jpg

I'm listening to this right now. The wikipedia entry on these dudes is pretty interesting stuff. I now know the belief structure of the "Misanthropic Luciferian Order". Neat!

Guest Czecherbear

I'm listening to Joe Bonner's Impressions of Copenhagen. As the title might lead you to believe, this isn't really what I'd call a burst of unbridled expression: the compositions and arrangements are very meticulous, Don Ellis-like in terms of the instrumentation and harmonies and stuff like that, except without the trumpet shenanigans or strange meters. Bonner is a pianist and a very good one at that, so he takes center stage on here, augmented by flutes, trumpet, strings (more pizzicato than bowed), and a favorite of mine, the chimes. The restraint evoked by the muted trumpet, pizzicato, and brushwork throughout the album would probably be my impression of the Danish people too.

http://orgyinrhythm.blogspot.com/2008/11/j...-copenhagn.html

Guest Czecherbear

Last year, I was a big fan of Michigan-based electronic/ambient/post-rock/whatever band Kiln's new release Dusker, so I picked up their 2004 album Sunbox. It's shorter (I suspect it could be considered an EP) and not as interesting as Dusker, but it's a worthy supplement to my collection of electronic music all the same. My favorite part of the album is the opener, "Royal Peppermint Forest," and its rebuild (the other album also has a "rebuild" track) "Lux." I know it's easy to just call any downtempo electronic stuff "Boards of Canada-esque," and I don't really want to, but I don't know what else to tell you: it sounds like weird introverted dudes trying to make music based on childhood programs and memories with ProTools and drum machines. The neat thing about Kiln is that it's not all just laptop noodling; it starts with live instruments and is heavily processed from there, giving you a bunch of neat and unfamiliar timbres. I don't have a link at the ready, but what the hey, just fire up Soulseek or Shareminer if you're interested. I figure that for most of us, this is the season for dark moody intrumental music, so Sunbox is worth half an hour of your passive listening.

The new Moz album leaks. I spent about five minutes decided whether or not I felt ethical about downloading it months before the release date.

My conscience hardly put up a fight.

g-side.jpg

G-Side - Starshipz & Rocketz

I was introduced to this record after Noz talked it up a couple weeks agp. Sonically it's sort of a spiritual successor to that ONP/Goodie Mob/Pimp C style of soulful/druggy southern hip-hop production that kinda fell out of favor in the post-Mannie Fresh era. This isn't to say that the album itself is a masterpiece comparable to Soul Food or ATLiens, but it's def. mining a similar vein. Good stuff.

Last year, I was a big fan of Michigan-based electronic/ambient/post-rock/whatever band Kiln's new release Dusker, so I picked up their 2004 album Sunbox. It's shorter (I suspect it could be considered an EP) and not as interesting as Dusker, but it's a worthy supplement to my collection of electronic music all the same. My favorite part of the album is the opener, "Royal Peppermint Forest," and its rebuild (the other album also has a "rebuild" track) "Lux." I know it's easy to just call any downtempo electronic stuff "Boards of Canada-esque," and I don't really want to, but I don't know what else to tell you: it sounds like weird introverted dudes trying to make music based on childhood programs and memories with ProTools and drum machines. The neat thing about Kiln is that it's not all just laptop noodling; it starts with live instruments and is heavily processed from there, giving you a bunch of neat and unfamiliar timbres. I don't have a link at the ready, but what the hey, just fire up Soulseek or Shareminer if you're interested. I figure that for most of us, this is the season for dark moody intrumental music, so Sunbox is worth half an hour of your passive listening.

I remember that there Dusker you provided and thinking that I did like most of what I heard but a bit on the long side for me. Thirty minutes seems like a good running time though. I'll peep it to see how much dark and how much moody it be.

Guest Czech please!

I didn't know the Mannie Fresh era ended. I didn't know the Mannie Fresh era even started. "Back That Azz Up" had a pretty good beat, though.

I didn't know the Mannie Fresh era ended.

It ended like four years ago, man. But I meant "post-Mannie Fresh era" as in "the era following the mainstream advent of the Mannie Fresh aesthetic," not as in "after the Mannie Fresh era." The "Mannie Fresh era" itself was part of the "post-Mannie Fresh era." Sry for the confusion.

I didn't know the Mannie Fresh era ended.

It ended like four years ago, man. But I meant "post-Mannie Fresh era" as in "the era following the mainstream advent of the Mannie Fresh aesthetic," not as in "after the Mannie Fresh era." The "Mannie Fresh era" itself was part of the "post-Mannie Fresh era." Sry for the confusion.

Is this folder allergic to rap discussion? Other than your brief synopsis of Mannie Fresh vis a vis the southern rap scene and the timely thread about Warren G., there is nothing on the front page regarding hip hop music. Maybe this needs to be my next music folder project.

Guest Czech please!

Historically, most hip-hop discussion here has devolved into debating who runs the rap game or other strains of obnoxious posturing, but we might have matured beyond that, so maybe it's worth an attempt.

Is this folder allergic to rap discussion? Other than your brief synopsis of Mannie Fresh vis a vis the southern rap scene and the timely thread about Warren G., there is nothing on the front page regarding hip hop music. Maybe this needs to be my next music folder project.

I thought about making a Cash Money retrospective thread (title: "Let Us Now Praise Famous Stunnas") but got distracted while doing research and wound up just spending an hour watching B.G. and Juvenile videos on YouTube.

Cash Money had a couple of solid years, but I always thought they received an unfair amount of praise, at leastwhen compared to their contemporaries. Stylistically, they weren't that far removed from No Limit, but while they were heaped with mass praise the latter was often seen as a gimmicky label that promoted style over substance.

Aesthetically speaking, No Limit really has a lot more in common with G-Funk and the aforementioned Pimp C school of druggy southern rap than w/ Mannie Fresh's alien synth bounce. Also, while they had some p. great jams and couple of good full lengths (Master P's Ice Cream Man is an unheralded minor masterpiece), nothing No Limit did can really compare to that unimpeachable run of singles that Cash Money dropped in the late 90s. I mean: "Ha," "Cash Money is an Army," "Bling Bling," "Back That Azz Up," "I Need a Hot Girl," "Numba One Stunna," "Project Bitch," "We On Fire," "The Block is Hot." That's a murderer's row of hotness.