TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

"We Built This City" voted Worst Song Ever

'Built This City' Tops Worst Songs List

Tue Apr 20, 5:24 PM ET

NEW YORK - Starship may have built this city on rock and roll, but Blender magazine is tearing it down, naming the band's "We Built This City" as the worst song ever.

Some tunes on the "50 Worst Songs Ever!" list were selected for their melodies, others "are wretchedly performed" and "quite a few don't make sense whatsoever," the magazine said.

The list, which appears in the May issue, includes songs by New Kids on the Block, Meat Loaf, The Doors, Lionel Richie (news), Hammer and The Beach Boys, among others.

Blender describes 1985's "We Built This City" as "the truly horrible sound of a band taking the corporate dollar while sneering at those who take the corporate dollar."

Starship lead singer Grace Slick (news) says, "This is not me," when the magazine reminds her of the tune. "Now you're an actor. It's the same as Meryl Streep (news) playing Joan of Arc."

Rounding out the top 10: "Achy Breaky Heart," Billy Ray Cyrus (news); "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" Wang Chung; "Rollin'," Limp Bizkit; "Ice Ice Baby," Vanilla Ice; "The Heart of Rock & Roll," Huey Lewis and the News; "Don't Worry Be Happy," Bobby McFerrin (news); "Party All the Time," Eddie Murphy (news); "American Life," Madonna; and "Ebony and Ivory," Paul McCartney (news) and Stevie Wonder (news).

Other songs on the list: Toby Keith (news)'s "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue" (No. 22); Whitney Houston (news)'s "Greatest Love of All" (No. 30); Ricky Martin (news)'s "She Bangs" (No. 39); Billy Joel (news)'s "We Didn't Start the Fire" (No. 41); Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sounds of Silence" (No. 42); The Beatles' "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" (No. 48); and Celine Dion (news)'s "My Heart Will Go On" (No. 50).

Blender and VH1's TV special "50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs ... Ever" airs May 12.

Credit: Yahoo.com

I'm glad American Life is on that list, I can't fucking stand that song.

Guest Coffey

What the fuck? "We Built This City" isn't even a bad song, let alone the worst song of all-time.

Guest El Satanico

Well I don't disagree that it's an awful song, but it's no where near the worst song ever.

I've never even heard of Blender. How credible are they?

Due to personal bias, any "worst song" list that ranks Ice Ice Baby higher than Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue will immediately be ignored.

American Pie is so much worse than American Life (I'm talking about Madonna songs, of course, not Don McLean's).

Don't Worry Be Happy!? Sounds Of Silence!? Ob La Di Ob La Da!? We Didn't Start The Fire!? Greatest Love Of All!? Ice Ice Baby!!!!???????

The only song I really agree with is Achy Breaky Heart, which should be #1. And what the hell are Meat Loaf, The Doors and The Beach Boys doing on this list!? Take the current Top Fifty Billboard Chart for right now and I think you'll find more deserving songs on that list than on this list here.

Blender is a total joke rag, and andy Pemberton is a complete douche. If it's not what all of the other critics love, it's horrible and should be burned.

While I'm no big fan of "We Built This City", it's not the worst song of all-time. "I Know What Boys Like" by The Waitresses is FAR worse than "We Built This City."

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Blender magazine may be the worst music-related magazine in the business, and that says a lot. Their list of "the worst bands of all time" or whatever it was called was similarly awful.

The latest issue has the craziest rock stars of all-time. Britney Spears was on it but Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, and even Yoko Ono was on the list. Britney is about as crazy as a sprite at a keg party.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Well, "Ob-la-di" is my least favorite Beatles song, but to say it's worse than anything Celine Dion has ever uttered is silliness. She's the worst musician of all time. She has absolutely no clue how to sing unless it's in an over the top cheeseball shitDiva pop style.

These aren't the worst songs ever, these are the worst songs that Blender doesn't like. I hate when anyone really makes best song ever or worst song ever because so many good/bad songs to not make the list. IE: Micky should be on the list, but a song like "Greatest Love of All" shouldn't. As much as I hated hearing "My Heart Will Go On" that was more on the level of how popular that song was. It isn't a bad song, just the most overplayed song.

1. We Built This City - Starship ... 1985

2. Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus ... 1992

3. Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung ... 1986

4. Rollin' - Limp Bizkit ... 2000

5. Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice ... 1990

6. The Heart of Rock & Roll - Huey Lewis and the News ... 1984

7. Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin ... 1988

8. Party All the Time - Eddie Murphy ... 1985

9. American Life - Madonna ... 2003

10. Ebony and Ivory - Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder ... 1982

11. Invisible - Clay Aiken ... 2003

12. Kokomo - The Beach Boys ... 1988

13. Illegal Alien - Genesis ... 1983

14. From a Distance - Bette Midler ... 1990

15. I'll Be There for You - The Rembrandts ... 1995

16. What's Up? - 4 Non Blondes ... 1993

17. Pumps and a Bump - Hammer ... 1994

18. You're The Inspiration - Chicago ... 1984

19. Broken Wings - Mr. Mister ... 1985

20. Dancing on the Ceiling - Lionel Richie ... 1986

21. Two Princes - Spin Doctors ... 1992

22. Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American) - Toby Keith ... 2002

23. Sunglasses at Night - Corey Hart ... 1984

24. Five for Fighting - Superman ... 2000

25. I'll Be Missing You Puff - Daddy featuring Faith Evans and 112 ... 1997

26. The End - The Doors ... 1967

27. The Final Countdown - Europe ... 1987

28. Your Body Is a Wonderland - John Mayer ... 2001

29. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something ... 1995

30. Greatest Love of All - Whitney Houston ... 1986

31. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - Crash Test Dummies ... 1994

32. Will 2K - Will Smith ... 1999

33. Barbie Girl - Aqua ... 1997

34. Longer - Dan Fogelberg ... 1979

35. Shiny Happy People - R.E.M. ... 1991

36. Make Em Say Uhh! - Master P featuring Silkk, Fiend, Mia-X and Mystikal ... 1998

37. Rico Suave - Gerardo ... 1991

38. Cotton Eyed Joe - Rednex ... 1995

39. She Bangs - Ricky Martin ... 2000

40. I Wanna Sex You Up - Color Me Badd ... 1991

41. We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel ... 1989

42. The Sounds of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel ... 1965

43. Follow Me - Uncle Kracker ... 2000

44. I'll Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf ... 1993

45. Mesmerize - Ja Rule featuring Ashanti ... 2002

46. Hangin' Tough - New Kids on the Block ... 1989

47. The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me Is You - Bryan Adams ... 1996

48. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles ... 1968

49. I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred ... 1992

50. My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion ... 1998

Those are two of my favourite 80's songs. How dare they.

Guest Dids
1. We Built This City - Starship ... 1985

3. Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung ... 1986

6. The Heart of Rock & Roll - Huey Lewis and the News ... 1984

7. Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin ... 1988

20. Dancing on the Ceiling - Lionel Richie ... 1986

21. Two Princes - Spin Doctors ... 1992

26. The End - The Doors ... 1967

31. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - Crash Test Dummies ... 1994

35. Shiny Happy People - R.E.M. ... 1991

36. Make Em Say Uhh! - Master P featuring Silkk, Fiend, Mia-X and Mystikal ... 1998

40. I Wanna Sex You Up - Color Me Badd ... 1991

41. We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel ... 1989

42. The Sounds of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel ... 1965

43. Follow Me - Uncle Kracker ... 2000

48. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles ... 1968

The songs are all good. This list and Blender can go fuck itself in it's stupid ass.

Even without looking at the current Billboard top 50, I can safely say that I'd prefer to listen to the songs on that "worst song ever" list than the current top 50.

While there are indeed some songs that are nauseating on that list (Will Smith, Whitney Houston, Gerardo) there are most assuredly more shit songs out right here and now.

How can any song that featured a video of Rick James giving Eddie Murphy the thumbs up be considered "bad"? I mean, it was Rick James. He is one of the baddest muthafuckas of all time. One of the best sanging, best looking muthafuckas you've ever seen. Hold his drink Bitch.

I say most of those songs shouldnt' be on that list. The funniest thing, I bet they were singing along and toe tapping when those songs are out. Some of them are just fun to say "I hate that song" now. Greatest Love of All...no matter how annoying it is now, dosen't belong on any worst list.

And Pumps and a Bump 0wned various faces...although I am still tramatized by Hammers rotating, bikini underwear clad crotch.

Wow, there must have been some GREAT music pre-1980.

Because there are only four songs on this list beforehand.

Since I have nothing better to do at work, I did a half-assed chart charting which years have the WORST SONGS EVER!!!

1960s -- 3

1970s -- 1

1980s -- 16

1990s -- 21

2000s -- 9

Also odd is how I didn't notice a fair amount of disco...

Son of a bitch!

I'm reading down the list and I see this "27. The Final Countdown - Europe ... 1987." Now it's stuck in my head.

I don't get it....Blender voted ICP as the worst band ever, but none of their songs make the list? Gwah?

And nobody should ever, ever diss The Final Countdown. That song tears you a new ass.

How can any song that featured a video of Rick James giving Eddie Murphy the thumbs up be considered "bad"? I mean, it was Rick James. He is one of the baddest muthafuckas of all time. One of the best sanging, best looking muthafuckas you've ever seen. Hold his drink Bitch.

Exactly. One simply CANNOT hate on Rick James. EVER. If they were going to put an Eddie Murphy song on the list, it should have been "Whatsupwitu?" or however the fuck it's spelled. "Party All the Time" is a great song, written, arranged and produced by the baddest motherfucka this side of Nile Rogers.

How can any song that featured a video of Rick James giving Eddie Murphy the thumbs up be considered "bad"?  I mean, it was Rick James.  He is one of the baddest muthafuckas of all time.  One of the best sanging, best looking muthafuckas you've ever seen.  Hold his drink Bitch.

Exactly. One simply CANNOT hate on Rick James. EVER. If they were going to put an Eddie Murphy song on the list, it should have been "Whatsupwitu?" or however the fuck it's spelled. "Party All the Time" is a great song, written, arranged and produced by the baddest motherfucka this side of Nile Rogers.

I think I was a King with Michael Jackson was the worst.

Whats funny is that when Eddie is playing character, he can sing really well. Sherman Clump singing to that Sneaker Bar, Jesse Jackson singing Hymy(sp) town...I'd buy it.