TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

"We Built This City" voted Worst Song Ever

"40. "I Wanna Sex You Up" - Color Me Badd (1991)

See 46; find me someone who took these guys seriously in the first place. Replace with: "Pop Goes the Weasel" - 3rd Bass."

It's amusing and makes some good points, but I think I hate this guy's taste in music.

Well, he is a Pitchfork columnist. I mean, I love reading the reviews and many of the articles are spot on but, sometimes, they get a little carried away with the elitism. Ott makes some great points, but he gets a little too smart for his own good (OMG IT'S A JINGOISTIC NATIONAL ANTHEM KILL IT~!).

Personally, I think reality is probably somewhere between both of their lists. Both Ott and Blender are spot on with some of their choices, and a little off with some of their others. ("Shine" by Collective Soul? C'mon. There's 50-100 more bland and mediocre songs from alternative rock.) Starship, The Doors, Puff Daddy, Wings, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Billy Ray Cyrus...there's no question about these in my book.

Why is there such a backlash against The Doors!? I thought they were considered greatest American band ever and whatnot. Now "should have been bottom five"? People are strange.

i think the doors had a nice little sound & shouldn't be HATED, but morrison's vocals weren't anything special and he had some terrible lyrics. as i said before, they didn't do anything the velvet underground hadn't done 2 years before and better.

You know, it's not long since I thought I was the only one who hated the fucking doors. I'm getting the same vibe now with Franz Ferdinand, who are really not very good, and about a million miles from the 'life affirming' status they've been given by a shedload of morons. But they'll go away.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm a Doors apologist. While a lot of Morrison's acid frenzy quote unquote philosophical poetic trippy material is absolute crap, they're a good solid rock band when they get drunk and bluesy.

I'm a Doors apologist. While a lot of Morrison's acid frenzy quote unquote philosophical poetic trippy material is absolute crap, they're a good solid rock band when they get drunk and bluesy.

point taken, i agree. so much so, that i woke up this morning and i got myself a beer.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yeah, and "Been Down so Long," hell, all of LA Woman is good at least. Morrison Hotel is like the diet prelude to their last album, I think. Like they tried to go with smokin' uptempo blues, and ended up getting all fucked up, and made side B to that album.

Guest wayzing
And nobody should ever, ever diss The Final Countdown. That song tears you a new ass.

Amen.

Europe reformed for one night to play that song in their hometown of Stockholm, Sweden (which also happens to be my hometown) on the eve of the new millennium and people went banana and then they went nut as well :D A great, great moment and a song that certainly doesn't belong on any worst songs lists.

The other Swedish song on that list, Cotton Eyed Joe, can stay though.

1. We Built This City - Starship ... 1985

5. Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice ... 1990

10. Ebony and Ivory - Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder ... 1982

11. Invisible - Clay Aiken ... 2003

12. Kokomo - The Beach Boys ... 1988

13. Illegal Alien - Genesis ... 1983

18. You're The Inspiration - Chicago ... 1984

19. Broken Wings - Mr. Mister ... 1985

20. Dancing on the Ceiling - Lionel Richie ... 1986

23. Sunglasses at Night - Corey Hart ... 1984

26. The End - The Doors ... 1967

29. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something ... 1995

31. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - Crash Test Dummies ... 1994

35. Shiny Happy People - R.E.M. ... 1991

38. Cotton Eyed Joe - Rednex ... 1995

41. We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel ... 1989

42. The Sounds of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel ... 1965

44. I'll Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf ... 1993

47. The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me Is You - Bryan Adams ... 1996

48. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles ... 1968

Any "worst" list that contains these songs should be deemed worthless.

Personally, I think one of the all time worst songs in terms of the lyrics not making any sense and just being all around horrible is Macarthurs Park by Richard Harris.

Macarthurs Park is melting in the dark

All the sweet green icing flowing down

Someone left the cake out in the rain

I don't think that I can take it

Cause it took so long to bake it

and I'll never have that recipe again

Oh Noooooooooooooo!

wtf?

You know, it's not long since I thought I was the only one who hated the fucking doors. I'm getting the same vibe now with Franz Ferdinand, who are really not very good, and about a million miles from the 'life affirming' status they've been given by a shedload of morons. But they'll go away.

Franz Ferdinand may be the most over-hyped pile of cack I've heard this year. Nice to see even Marillion placed higher than them in the chart, so there's still some hope.

ICP getting no mention in the worst song list yet taking honors as Blender's worst band says something about the thought putting this list together. After thinking about it, this isn't a "Worst Song" list but more of a "Bad But Popular Songs" list.

Start listing Yoko Ono's supposed songs and then you'd be making headway for a worst song list.

I think in regards to ICP they couldn't think of that ONE song that they thought truly sucked...they thought all of their stuff sucked (I'm not inclined to disagree).

I made the same argument about Korn earlier...they probably belong somewhere on this list, but WHICH song?

Franz Ferdinand may be the most over-hyped pile of cack I've heard this year. Nice to see even Marillion placed higher than them in the chart, so there's still some hope.

Eh. I don't hate them as much as I do Muse.

The actual worse song of all time isn't even on their list. That would be "Mmmbop" by Hanson. I've had homicidal fantasies when I hear that song played. That is all.

Eh. I don't hate them as much as I do Muse.

Ah, you see Muse were the most over-hyped pile of cack I heard LAST year. Since I left university, I haven't had MTV2 or any other music channels, so thankfully a lot of tat seems to have passed me by, including new Muse material.

Worst case scenario: the music of Franz Ferdinand combined with the cat-in-a-bonfire vocals of that twat from Muse *shudders*

Guest JumpinJackFlash
Like "The Sounds of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel

Agreed. That's a great song. What about those songs by William Shatner? They suck!

Yeah I agree that Ya'll Want a Single is a horrible song, but it just sounds like typical Korn garbage to me. Incidentally, what is that rattling crap that is seemingly in every Korn song? Someone recently told me it was a seriously out of tune bass.

It's because Fieldy doesn't play a bass, he punches it, sticks it up his ass, beats it with his cock, etc. Either way, he produces a harsh clicking sound that reminds me of a mouse click inside of a giant drum.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That guy was also once quoted with saying "It's not so important what notes you're playing, as long as the groove's right."

The guy is seriously terrible. He's even worse than Jonathan Davis.

Yeah I agree that Ya'll Want a Single is a horrible song, but it just sounds like typical Korn garbage to me.  Incidentally, what is that rattling crap that is seemingly in every Korn song?  Someone recently told me it was a seriously out of tune bass.

It's because all of the guys in Korn have their shit heavily detuned. (Isn't it something like Drop D tuning, and then two whole steps down on top of that?) That clicking noise is the banging of the strings against the fretboard, due to the low string tension. Hell, considering how embarassingly bad they've been in recent years, I'm surprised that they haven't detuned it to the point where the strings just drag along the floor.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

^That's only Bb. I tune to that sometimes. They use 7-strings, so they probably do something stupid with it.

Here's the thing though....why would a serious musician do something like that? I suppose it is to produce a certain sound or effect, and yeah I can't think of too many bands who sound much like Korn. I'll give them that much, when you hear Korn on the radio you say "That's a Korn song." They do have their own sound. It's not a particularly GOOD sound (in fact it sucks ass), but it's their sound.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Mortician tunes that low because it's their motto, and their selling point. "We tune our instruments lower than anyone else in the universe."

Korn does because it was cool for half an album in the early mid-90's, and isn't making them lose money yet. Anyway, didn't they JUST put an album out? I find it hard to believe that they're on a creative spurt.

Yeah Korn has released an album in the past year, though I don't think it has done all that well.

I have vague memories of Korn's first album in 1994 or so. They weren't at all popular back then, and got scant airplay doing the same basic style that they do now. Then again, in 1994 there were actually GOOD bands getting the airplay on rock stations.

are the people that made this list also responsible for the list saying that Silver Surfer is one of the stupidest comic book characters ever? if so, THAT immediately discredits it...