TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
B. Brian Brunzell

Anyone Pick Up the New Prince Album?

Well, I might be buying it if I weren't going to see him on Friday. As far as I know, everyone who goes to the concerts is still getting a free promotional copy of the album, so I'll hold out for that.

I've thus far heard the title track (which is getting a rather surprising amount of MTV airplay - what up, Sony marketing machine) and "Cinnamon Girl." "Musicology" is decent, traditional-type funk, but "Cinnamon Girl" is great. It's got the same sort of whimsical, candy-pop vibe of stuff like "Raspberry Beret" and it's pretty damn catchy. All in all, this is the most Prince-sounding stuff since "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," which is pretty satisfying.

I saw the video for "Musicology" on VH1 this morning and I kind of liked it. Not enough to purchase it, but I won't be changing the channel on it like I do for "My Immortal."

I like Prince about the same amount I like the OCrap.

I'm not too sure he'd be concerned with missing out on someone who uses the phrase "OCrap."

And norman, yessir: I got my copy of Musicology at the door. "Cinnamon Girl," by the by, isn't a Neil Young cover - just the same name. I haven't listened to it yet - I'm still kinda resonating off of last night's show. It was fantastic, and the encore ("The Beautiful Ones," "Nothing Compares 2 U," and "Purple Rain") was the most devastatingly gorgeous stretch of music I've had the pleasure of hearing live.

Also, this whole "I'm a Jehovah's Witness and don't play the dirty stuff no more!" line is a bit of bunk. Sure, there was no "Pussy Control," but he did pop off "Cream." Which was awesome. If any of you are even the slightest bit a Prince fansand there are still tickets available near you, go. It's totally worth it.

Huh, he didn't do any of the smutty stuff any more. Which slightly saddened me, I must say, Little Red Corvette was one of the songs I was most praying to hear, though I knew it would never happen.

And yeah, I considered Prince to be the best concert experience of my life. From Let's Go Crazy through to Purple Rain, I was absolutely entranced.

I like Prince about the same amount I like the OCrap.

I'm not too sure he'd be concerned with missing out on someone who uses the phrase "OCrap."

The OCrap is the O.C.

I respect Prince and he has loads of talent, but he music does nothing for me.

I have the album and it is kicking your ass as I speak.

You might not feel it but this album is putting the boots to your ass right now.

O honestly like every track with "On the Couch" , "Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circustance", "Cinnamon Girl" and "Dear Mr. Man" really standing out to me.

Guest Banders Kennany

When did Prince distance himself from his "smutty" material. I am not the biggest Prince head, but I was always udner the impression that his his dirty material was more innuendo than saying things right out. Also, is the Revolution or New Power Generation involved, or this just Prince himself?

When did Prince distance himself from his "smutty" material. I am not the biggest Prince head, but I was always udner the impression that his his dirty material was more innuendo than saying things right out. Also, is the Revolution or New Power Generation involved, or this just Prince himself?

I would think he wants to seeing as we are nearly twenty years removed from the darling niki performance and the ass out MTV thing and that is still all people mention when you say something about the guy if they aren't big into his music.

I have the album and it is kicking your ass as I speak.

You might not feel it but this album is putting the boots to your ass right now.

O honestly like every track with "On the Couch" , "Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circustance", "Cinnamon Girl" and "Dear Mr. Man" really standing out to me.

Seconded. I've had a chance to listen to it a couple times, and it's really fun. Light years beyond a lot of the stuff he'd been doing recently - it's straight-up, simple, and satisfying. It's not anything epic or huge, no second-coming of Sign o' the Times, but it's cool, funky, and definitely in the spirit of Prince. I agree on all the tracks above, and very much like "The Marrying Kind" as well.

I'm not sure if I would have bought it had I not gotten it for "free," but I'm glad to have it now.