TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

Bad late-night talk shows

Guest Redhawk

The Magic Hour, Chevy Chase's talk show, Pat Sajak's show....

For every Conan or Arsenio (well, I liked him), we've all seen some pretty horrid late-night talk shows. Any lowlights that stood out for you?

I fucking *hate* Leno.

Whether some percieve him to be the king of late-night is irrelevant to me, his jokes rarely make me laugh and he comes across as a kid you'd go to school each day purely because you'd get to beat him up.

David Letterman is a genius and owns Leno in every way.

UYI

Guest Deebo

There was this short lived talk show on I believe Comedy Central, i can't even remember the name of it but the host's last name was Wylde. It came on after Insomniac. The show was FUCKING AWFUL. I mean the guy was not funny at all, and the guests they had were fucking brutal. Like guys who were extras on ER were their lead guests and shit like that.

Carson's not shit, but the way he's made out to be Christ is wrong. Fuck Arsenio Hall too.

Conceptually Chevy Chase's show was good, it had some interesting concepts. Just poor execution.

There was this short lived talk show on I believe Comedy Central, i can't even remember the name of it but the host's last name was Wylde. It came on after Insomniac. The show was FUCKING AWFUL. I mean the guy was not funny at all, and the guests they had were fucking brutal. Like guys who were extras on ER were their lead guests and shit like that.

The Chris Wylde show.

The only worthwhile things on the show were the Kylie Bax interview and the segment with Chris at the gay pride parade.

Let's see, In the Thicke Of The Night, Mike Bullard after he got thin and bitter, that show with Ralph Bemernugui (sp)... Actually, any lat night talk show with a Canadian host that isn't a sock has been pretty bad.

Also, Into The Night (Rick Dees) and the show with Sinbad as host.

Jon Stewart was OK, but I think he was more comfortable when he guest hosted the Late Late Show, which of course carried over into his current Daily Show gig.

There was this chick that had her own late-night show for like a week. I don't remember who she was (this took place in the mid-1990s) but one promo I remember was her "not taking it anymore" and going into the men's room to pee.

Can't imagine why her show failed...

Guest cobainwasmurdered

All of them with the exemption of Letterman.

Guest Jimbo
I can't stand Craig Kilborn. He comes off as Conan-lite, with no sugar.

Kilborn should have never left his gig on Sporscenter.

His cocky and sarcastic nature was perfect for that show.

I believe in the Thicke of Night has the record for being the only show in the history of television to score a 0 Nielsen rating.

I've actually met Chris Wylde a couple times. He was part of an improv troupe from DC that came up to Pittsburgh a few times and worked with people I knew in the scene and such. Total douchebag and just an unfunny spazz in person too. Everytime I see him pop up on something I can't believe he's still finding work.

Sinbad was one of the hosts of Vibe. Keenan Ivory Wayans had a late night talk show that got lost in the shuffle. So did Joan Rivers, Whoopi Goldberg and Dennis Miller.

Guest MikeSC
Didn't Zach Gali...finki...uh... Zach G. have a show on VH1 at one point? That was so terrible.

Zach is a black hole for talent. I remember "Zach's World" --- one of the least watchable shows I've seen that didn't star Pat Sajak.

-=Mike

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Dennis Miller's late night show was awful.

Oh yeah, and Fuck Leno.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Please leave Chvy Chase out of this.

I fucking *hate* Leno.

Whether some percieve him to be the king of late-night is irrelevant to me, his jokes rarely make me laugh and he comes across as a kid you'd go to school each day purely because you'd get to beat him up.

Agreed

Every morning the radio station I listen to will play a minute out of Jay's monologue from the previous night's show, and I won't even bat an eye at his "jokes"... best monologue my ass

The only time I did laugh during one of these bits was at a crack the bandleader made in response to one of Jay's comments

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Please leave Chevy Chase out of this.

He sucked. Get over it

He didn't even have a talk show, I don't know what you're all talking about.

Please leave Chevy Chase out of this.

He sucked. Get over it

He didn't even have a talk show, I don't know what you're all talking about.

Who said I was talking about his show

AJ Benza had a terrible one that got canceled within two weeks or so. At that time, he was filling in for Jackie on the Stern Show, and when all the calls came in laughing at him for how poor the show was doing, AJ got into a fight with Stuttering John.

So in the span of a day, his show got canceled, and he got fired from a radio gig.

Whoopie Goldberg was on Fox and did not last long.

Carson Daly on NBC for the late late late late night show is blah.

Jay Mohr tried to do a late night style show on ESPN too bad nobody knew what time it came on, the only good thing about that show was that it had Sepultura play live once.

I remember Zach Galfabahaluogus on VH1! doing his stand up with a piano, the show was ok but how can you take the host serious when he looks like a bum?

It's Zach Galifianakis. And besides, he's much better in Tru Calling.

Craig Kilborn lost my interest the night he made that blazer joke when Owen Hart died.

Sinbad should never be allowed near a talk show ever again.

I kinda dug Keenan Ivory Wayans while he was on. Hell, his all-chick band was pretty cute.

Carson Daly should stay on MTV. In fact; NBC should get Jimmy Fallon, dress HIM as Carson and have him do the show as such.

"Hi, I'm Carson Daly and I wear these glasses to look smart."

"Hi, I'm Carson Daly and I'm a complete tool."

:lol:

I liked Craig on The Daily Show...but the same attitude just doesn't seem to work with his latenight show. Coming off as a prissy better than you deal just doesn't really make me want to see the show...but it worked on The Daily Show.

And I like Conan when I was a teen, but he just annoys me now.

Guest Vitamin X

The problem with Tom Green was that after a while, everyone knew who he was and so he couldn't pull off the pranks as well anymore. Same thing I think, with Jackass/Johnny Knoxville.

I can't stand Craig Kilborn. He comes off as Conan-lite, with no sugar.

Plus Conan's self-deprecating humor works great, as opposed to Kilborn the cocky prick.

I don't know if it was late night, but what about "Danny!"?

The Chris Wylde Show managed to be worse than the Magic Hour, amazingly enough.