TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
B. Brian Brunzell

***** Albums in Your Collection

It's interesting that people have badmouthed Green Day. I'd say Dookie is a ***** album, or at the least a ****1/2 one (you could argue a couple tracks near the end are throwaways).

It's interesting that Offspring have been mentioned so much here. Smash and Ixnay are both great, but I can't really say Americana is a ***** album. Maybe **** to big Offspring fans though, like myself. It's also interesting that no one has dissed them for being mentioned.

I dunno what makes a ***** album. I just use the method of "What are my favorite CDs?" I haven't really ever heard a CD where EVERY song was great. Even Nevermind has Territorial Pissings (which I've never liked much) and In Utero has the goofy throwaway Tourette's. And most Black Sabbath stuff has the Tony Iommi instrumental and what not. Thus, I'd say a ***** album would have to be something where about 4/5 of the CD would be awesome.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

some Metyl stuff:

Cryptopsy-Whisper Supremacy. One of my favorite brutal death/grindy cds. The rhythm section are total showoffs, DiSalvo's vocals are better than Worm's, and the riffs are cutting and sick and chaotic throughout.

Nile-In Their Darkened Shrines. I've gone off about this cd in detail before.

Acid Bath-When The Kite String Pops Ditto.

Down-Nola

Morbid Angel's Covenant is a pretty ahead of its time exercise in death metal. Trey Azagthoth (what a name) is one of the bigger nutcases on a guitar in the genre, and uses wildly flailing divebombs and shreddy tapping and all other tried and true heavy metal techniques to his full advantage. Probably my favorite metal guitarist.

Cephalic Carnage-Lucid Interval. This cd progresses like a hallucinogen. Straightforward blast and groove, blast and scream grindcore at the beginning, then it gets to "Pseudo" and is totally warped from that point onwards.

Slayer-Reign In Blood, Seasons in The Abyss, and South of Heaven.

Nasum-Inhale/Exhale. Svedish grind. Self-explanatory heavy action.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
It's interesting that people have badmouthed Green Day. I'd say Dookie is a ***** album, or at the least a ****1/2 one (you could argue a couple tracks near the end are throwaways).

It's interesting that Offspring have been mentioned so much here. Smash and Ixnay are both great, but I can't really say Americana is a ***** album. Maybe **** to big Offspring fans though, like myself. It's also interesting that no one has dissed them for being mentioned.

I dunno what makes a ***** album. I just use the method of "What are my favorite CDs?" I haven't really ever heard a CD where EVERY song was great. Even Nevermind has Territorial Pissings (which I've never liked much) and In Utero has the goofy throwaway Tourette's. And most Black Sabbath stuff has the Tony Iommi instrumental and what not. Thus, I'd say a ***** album would have to be something where about 4/5 of the CD would be awesome.

Ixnay by the fucking Offspring is disgusting. I'd give it -*****.

I'll give props to Smash though....

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking
SOAD best album is their Self Titled. Toxicity is just a mediocore album, while many people bought the album thinking its the most hardcore thing they have ever heard. Steal This Album...well the title speaks for itself, because the effort in stealing the album is not worth it.

Chevy, both Ixnay and Smash are awesome albums.

And redbaron, Toxicity had some great, great songs on it, as did Steal This Album! - Catchy and worth something from such a band.

And if their self-titled LP is better, then I'm out to get it RIGHT NOW. But even though I have faith in that, if you and I disagree about Toxicity and STA!, then we might disagree about the self-titled.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I liked the first SOAD cd for about a week, and I can't stand any of the nervous unglam quasi metal they've done since.

The Offspring consistently put out radio singles I cannot abide. They completely blew their wad on what was an ok at the time cd. It hasn't aged well with me at all, but then again nothing I listened to in my early teens has. Except for Black Sabbath and Dead Kennedys, I think.

In regards to The Offspring, I officially hated them as soon as they released Pretty Fly for a White Guy - they're just fucking lucky that the rest of Americana held up and didn't follow suit.

System of a Down are the sort of band where you can listen to their CD repeatedly and not get sick of it, forget about it for a month or so and then do it again.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

I can't really say I have a favorite Jimi album, mainly cause I only have a bunch of boxes.

I think out of all Nirvana CDs, I'll have to go with Unplugged in New York. I don't know particularly why, but I listen to it with far more frequency than the other albums.

I'd like to throw the Foo Fighters' The Colour and the Shape to the list.

Live-Throwing Copper

Counting Crows-August and Everything After

I'll probably get shit upon for listing it, but I think it is by far their best album, and has some great moments on it: DMB "Under the Table and Dreaming"

Oasis (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Better than Definitely Maybe.

Red Hot Chili Peppers-Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Metallica-Master of Puppets

I'm surprised at the 3 Doors Down listing. It's a band that I like, but definitely not worthy of the 5 star listing. And Chevy: if you're going to criticize, list some of yours so it can be collectively dissected.

It's interesting that people have badmouthed Green Day.  I'd say Dookie is a ***** album, or at the least a ****1/2 one (you could argue a couple tracks near the end are throwaways).

Kerplunk deserves a mention for Green Day, lots of songs which are still among their best, the first half of the the album (bar the comedy song) is especially good, one little gem after another. There's a review of the International Superhits comp at allmusic.com which puts the band's case forward very well.

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque

Much as I like that album I prefer Grand Prix, the songs are better, the sound is more fully-reliased and it stays with you longer. UNCUT magazine featured Bandwagonesque in their 'classic albums re-visited' feature and the band had the same opinion.

And Chevy: if you're going to criticize, list some of yours so it can be collectively dissected.

No.

Yeah Kerplunk is a terrific CD, which I have as well. But I didn't list it because the 2nd half of it becomes slightly mediocre and thus isn't a ***** album. More like a ****-****1/2 album.

Offspring "Ignition" is another album I like quite a bit, but I can't really call it a ***** album due to the crappy production and sound quality it has. There isn't really a BAD song on it per se, but if it had even Smash's production it'd be fabulous.

I don't really get the hate for Ixnay. The people who wouldn't like it are those who would prefer stuff more like Americana, which was decidedly more pop oriented. Ixnay is a more serious album aside from stuff like Don't Pick it Up.

At any rate I think anyone would agree that Smash is their best album. The perfect mix of hard hitting rage and silly humor. I love that CD, it was my main CD of the Summer of 1994.

I don't really get the hate for Ixnay. The people who wouldn't like it are those who would prefer stuff more like Americana, which was decidedly more pop oriented.

That couldn't be further from the truth in this case...

Ixnay on the Hombre was a great album which contained songs with a purpose, as did Smash, Ignition, their self-tited LP as well as any other song that they released pre-Pretty Fly.

The reason that Americana is on my list is because it is a damn fun CD for the most part - there are some really, really annoying songs, i.e. Pretty Fly for a White Guy, obviously, but unlike it, the rest of the songs aren't just written for whatever was cool in pop culture at the time, whatever the lyrics may be.

My comment about hating them when they released that song was because, despite the high quality of the rest of Americana, it showed that they would actually write a song like that.

On Green Day, Kerplunk was a great album in true Green Day style, but I don't know if it quite makes *****.

Ok, I swear this is the last one. I just dug out a FANTASTIC album from my collection today: Slanted & Enchanted- Pavement.

I have to agree with Wildbomb about Under the Table and Dreaming. There are some definite great songs on that album, like "Ants Marching", "Jimi Thing", Satellite", and of course, DMB's best work, "Typical Situation." Don't know if it's ***** or not, but it's easily their finest work.

Shit, how could I forget Grinspoon's Guide to Better Living and Easy.

New Detention had some decent tunes, but doesn't come near the ***** mark.

Beach Boys:

Pet Sounds - 1966

Sunflower - 1970

Beatles:

Abbey Road - 1969

Sgt Pepper's - 1967

Pink Floyd:

Dark Side Of The Moon - 1973

Love:

Forever Changes - 1967

REM:

Murmur - 1983

Automatic For The People - 1992

Velvet Underground:

Velvet Underground & Nico - 1967

Collective Soul- Self Titled

oh COME ON!!!!!!

I stood idly by while people pimped Green Day as ***** stars, but this?

Bah.

Who cares? It's totally an opinion thing. There's a few subpar songs, but I think everything else is really great. And for the record, I loved Dookie too, so fuckin' a. Later-Jim

Collective Soul- Self Titled

oh COME ON!!!!!!

I stood idly by while people pimped Green Day as ***** stars, but this?

Bah.

Who cares? It's totally an opinion thing. There's a few subpar songs, but I think everything else is really great. And for the record, I loved Dookie too, so fuckin' a. Later-Jim

A ***** album isn't subjective, bub...its all in the pudding. Collective Soul just sin't very good. They could even be considered to be the first of the MANY Pearl Jam-clone bands manufactored during the later stages of the 90's onwards to today.

Hmm, ***** albums.

Muse - Absolution

Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Keane - Hopes and Fears

The Coral - The Coral

Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion I

I disagree with so much of what's been said in this thread that I think my head is going to pop. I know it's fun to make the "blah blah subjective, of course Collective Soul is 5 stars" argument, but what's the point of doing so in a thread that expressly set out a different purpose?

That said, you fuckers need more Tom Waits. Rain Dogs, bitch.

Oh, and whether or not any of you want to admit it, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory was a ***** album.

Oh, and whether or not any of you want to admit it, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory was a ***** album.

You're all lost causes. I give up.

It's just that every song on that album has something to offer.

It also contains an awesome instrumental.

As for being a fan of the band, would I buy a ticket to see them? No.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That album is a festering lump of shit with nothing to offer. It's something that should be rightfully taunted, as every time that beanpole asswipe sissy Chester opens his yap. He's a pop singer that was too gawky to do pop music, so he circled the wagons of his own inner angst, spiked it with puberty, and called it Linkin Park. What a stupid name, too. Hybrid Theory is a boldface labelling of a pop rock abortion. Poppy Nu metal (the worst music on earth) blends with poppy rap (the second worst music on earth). Shit I forgot Pop Country, knock those two down a peg. The meandering lyrics are just so generic and sappy. My actual quote the first time I heard the album was, at about track 6.."Stop this shit before I slit my wrists."

That album is a festering lump of shit with nothing to offer. It's something that should be rightfully taunted, as every time that beanpole asswipe sissy Chester opens his yap. He's a pop singer that was too gawky to do pop music, so he circled the wagons of his own inner angst, spiked it with puberty, and called it Linkin Park. What a stupid name, too. Hybrid Theory is a boldface labelling of a pop rock abortion. Poppy Nu metal (the worst music on earth) blends with poppy rap (the second worst music on earth). Shit I forgot Pop Country, knock those two down a peg. The meandering lyrics are just so generic and sappy. My actual quote the first time I heard the album was, at about track 6.."Stop this shit before I slit my wrists."

I take it you didn't like it too much?

Lyrics aside, there's some awesome music itself and song construction.

As I said, they're not the type of band of which I'd buy a ticket to see or anything, but I just heavily like that CD. Maybe that album is my one weak spot.

Some additions:

The Living End - The Living End

The Who - Live at Leeds

Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust

Carole King - Tapestry

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

Crowded House - Crowded House

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

REM - Up

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Nirvana - In Utero

Goldie - Timeless

Air - Moon Safari

Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole

Clerks. Motion Picture Soundtrack

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Good Son

Tool - Aenema

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Silverchair - Neon Ballroom

Magic Dirt - Young and Full of the Devil

The Beatles - both Abbey Road and Let It Be

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Metallica - S & M

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

The Doors - The Doors

Some great fucking albums right there.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Lyrics aside, there's some awesome music itself and song construction

Like what? The same tired power chords and drop D stuff everyone else is doing, or the turntable wicky-wickies and samples that everyone else is doing, or the basic verse/chorus/verse structure? That's not special. High school bands can do that. The fact that they were teenagers when this started proves that. They've just got a hype machine behind them. If anything, that album is negative five stars, in every objective sense it can be viewed. God that band is awful.

Lyrics aside, there's some awesome music itself and song construction

Like what? The same tired power chords and drop D stuff everyone else is doing, or the turntable wicky-wickies and samples that everyone else is doing, or the basic verse/chorus/verse structure? That's not special. High school bands can do that. The fact that they were teenagers when this started proves that. They've just got a hype machine behind them. If anything, that album is negative five stars, in every objective sense it can be viewed. God that band is awful.

Yeah, but they were a step above the rest in doing it.