TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tom

Thread Pruning

Folks:

We're going to be deleting some of the many old threads that are still around. Basically, these old threads are just making everything slower for everyone. By getting rid of them, search times will improve, and the overall performance of the board will be faster.

Obviously, this will hit the WWE folder the hardest, since it has so many threads. Basically, if there's something you want to save to your hard drive, from any folder, now is the time. On Tuesday of next week, the thread pruning will take place, so this is fair warning to everyone.

Guest slacklet

That's a damn shame.

You'll at least backup the archives offline, right?

Otherwise that's like killing history.

Tom, that isn't going to help too much.

That doesn't cause any slow down outside of from the searching. The searching is what causes the server to buckle.

Ask Ill to look for a mod for that. I'm sure there is something out there.

How about limiting the deletions to anything with under 100 replies?

That rids us of everything that isn't relevant to the forum.

EDIT: For instance, the official RAW threads are really cool bits of nostalgia. Venture back to the July 21st, 2002 edition and see everyone's reaction to Bischoff appearing on WWE TV for the first time.

You can't ask for anything better.

How about limiting the deletions to anything with under 100 replies?

That rids us of everything that isn't relevant to the forum.

Good idea.

Or we could just delete everything on the hardcore board.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think the old Raw threads should be the first things to go. They're huge lumps of outdated space.

So is this going to be a board wide mass deletion (let's say, everything before a certain date) or something similar? In that case, will the Hosted Forums section be included, specifically the SWF?

Hopefully not, partly because most of us are too lazy and unmotivated to really do anything about it. Especially when we don't yet know how you're going to do this. But the more important reason is that we pay for the section, so we should be exempt. Or at least we could decide if and when to clean things up ourselves.

I agree with Agent on the OAO Raw Threads point by the way. They no longer serve a purpose and likely take up a fair amount of space doing so.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'd rather all the mods have figurative scissors, and just run helter skelter, removing threads at their leisure.

Guest Loss

Sometimes the best threads are the ones least responded and the best ones have the most responses. Don't confuse quantity with quality.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That's why I suggested more of a discretionary tactic. It'd take longer, but space would get freed up quickly, if that matters. Where's the local tech geniuses to back this up?

Plus, if you just eradicated all

Do you all understand the pure GOLD~! that you would be deleting from me alone if you do this?

Do you all understand the pure GOLD~! that you would be deleting from me alone if you do this?

One always has to take the bad with the good... :P

Guest slacklet
I think the old Raw threads should be the first things to go. They're huge lumps of outdated space.

Au contraire.

I think the RAW/Smackdown/PPV threads should be archived in their own folder.

It's great to be able to watch a RAW from 2 years ago and see the smark opinion on every fascet of the show.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Au contraire.

I think the RAW/Smackdown/PPV threads should be archived in their own folder.

It's great to be able to watch a RAW from 2 years ago and see the smark opinion on every fascet of the show.

Yeah, all of those "OMG NWORETURNZLOL2002!" replies in RAW threads are important.

Or to be more current, "OMG~!ShanekilleDKanewROFLMANO!2003!"

Guest slacklet

Well seeing those threads are the main reasons people come to the board, I think they deserve to stay.

I'm not talking about the regulars, I mean unique posters.

The most we ever got here was for Wrestlemania XX, and prior to that it was Kane unmasking on RAW last year.

So to say those threads have no significance is unfounded.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I was gonna say, lets delete the threads that have been closed and are not classics. That should help out as most of those threads are pointless anyway.....right?

That's why I suggested more of a discretionary tactic. It'd take longer, but space would get freed up quickly, if that matters. Where's the local tech geniuses to back this up?

Plus, if you just eradicated all <X # of posts threads, or ones before a certain date, it takes away the occasional amusement of bumping an old thread that went unnoticed, etc.

I like my suggestion better.

And Raw/PPV threads should all be archived.

Guest FrigidSoul

You called?

As MrRant stated purging the threads is going to make Search Times much faster but that's about it. By deleting a good portion of the threads you're going to create alot more storage space. If you merge the bajillion topics on the Ric Flair DVD(for example) that all have the same content(yet still hold merit for being there) then search times will be even faster. Then things need to be moved to where they properly belong because if you're looking for a subject that should be in General Wrestling and its located in the WWE Forum its going to take longer. This is all good for the board in its own way and should be done.

I think you're looking for a way to keep the board from actually freezing and or just not loading. That has to do with more connections than the server at the time can hold. That's a whole different set of problems but can also be taken care of.

My door is always open though. Its the one that says "Janitor's Closet" and smells like bleach and dirty mop water.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Don't forget the foul stench of semen stained in the floor.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
That was there when I got here...I swear...

Actually that was intended to mean that those damn young kids would slip into the janitors closet for some fun, but since you gave yourself away......:D

Guest cobainwasmurdered

this won't help things.

Delete bad topics not all topics

*Remembers how badly this backfired at WDI and EVERY other board it's been done at*

Unless you use the search engine, why should important weekly/annual threads (the RAW/SD archives, OaO Sports Threads) be purged?

I think you're looking for a way to keep the board from actually freezing and or just not loading. That has to do with more connections than the server at the time can hold. That's a whole different set of problems but can also be taken care of.

Response I'd like to highlight.

Response I'd like to highlight.

Guest Anglesault

I suck at searching. Can someone help me find the WWE Rhapsody, Bankywood Industries and the favorite poster thread (where Banky and I finished in the Final four?)