TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tom

Thread Pruning

Guest Anglesault
The fact that AS and Banky are in the semi-finals of this thing just speaks volumes about this board. Granted neither one is as bad as they once were, but I still see them as glorified trolls.

I love this one.

Guest FrigidSoul

Either way I have a feeling that as the janitor if this is done I might be in on it. Since everybody saw that the member purging went through fine have some faith, cause if they hand me the ball with this one you know it'll be taken care of correctly.

It is however up to Dames, Tom, and others to decide if they want me handling this when they decide to go through with it. I have however asked to help so Dames doesn't press a wrong button and blow everything up.

Guest FrigidSoul

Well, it will create more storage space along with making it so searches run alot faster.

If they want to fix the board from freezing or loading slowly that's a whole new thing in which they'll need to ask me how to do, or MrRant...or somebody else who knows the tech stuff.

Freezing/loading slowly is solely a hardware thing, and there's only so much we can do about it, from where we sit. Limiting the amount of connections is what has to happen, pretty much, so we're going to figure out a way to go about doing that, that wouldn't cut off the usage of the board to the posters.

I'm on it. I'm always on it. What this place REALLY needs is a server upgrade, but that can't happen without $$, and we don't have said $$, so we'll do what we can do.

-Josh

Well I had Tom change some of the CPU saving settings and Search settings so that should take care of a good amount of issues we have been having.

Guest FrigidSoul

Close Guests from being able to view the board already. If they don't want to sign up and contribute to discussion then to hell with them. I guarentee you that eliminates a good amount of connections. Just place something on the Main Page saying Only Registered Members can view the forum.

Badda-Bing. Badda-Bang. Badda-Boom.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
This is probably a dumb question, but how do you save a topic to your hard drive?

Get some tissue paper and charcoal, and make a rubbing.

I'm fully aware of the amount of connections that guests bring to the board. But like Rant said, trying things that are less drastic is key, first. If they work, then we'll save that little trick for another day.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

if you delete all the threads I will be forced to cry. No one wants that.

Guest Rob Edwards

Couldn't you just give people a month to hunt out good threads they remember and move them to classics or something then delete the ones noones interested in?

EDIT - The Rhapsody can go though, I'm kinda embarassed by how crappy it is looking back

if you delete all the threads I will be forced to cry. No one wants that.

I've gone through 4 Kleenexes already.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Nope. We're eliminating posters. Also, signatures, avatars, and the letters E and T will be disabled in order to save bandwidth.

Guest FrigidSoul

Ok, if I'm correct from the little bit of convo I had with Dames awhile back concerning servers(I had forgotten this convo until looking into my PM box) he has 40gigs of storage space on the TSM server. What he needs 40gigs of storage space for is beyond me but that makes it so you don't really need to delete anything unless its just a waste. Example being a thread that was locked after 2 replies saying there was another one like it.

What you need is more bandwidth. I can hook up the site with a server that will give a little more than a gig of storage space but unlimited bandwidth from what they were telling me. Meaning fast as hell connections. If the site needs more than a gig of storage space let me know though so I can continue working out the details with this person.

We need to decide how to spend Dames' money wisely hehe

Guest Rob Edwards

Actually eliminating sigs (or banners in sigs at least), isn't a bad idea. We had a massive bandwidth problem over at SC (mainly massive because I'm too cheap to fork out for more), and eliminating banners put us from five times over our allowed limit to just under it.

On a board with as many people as this reading threads at one time and downloading every sig pic through your server it'd make a massive differance.

Sure it seems like you're being no fun, people get over it though

In general those are both not the issue. Bandwidth is fine.

This is just a value server so it more of a memory issue with the amount of people on the site etc. Myself and Tom have changed some of the board settings to be more friendly to the server for processing queries etc and it has seemed to help quite a bit. Still bogged down yesterday for about 20 min during Judgement Day but I am waiting for RAW so I can judge how much more needs to be done.

Actually eliminating sigs (or banners in sigs at least), isn't a bad idea. We had a massive bandwidth problem over at SC (mainly massive because I'm too cheap to fork out for more), and eliminating banners put us from five times over our allowed limit to just under it.

On a board with as many people as this reading threads at one time and downloading every sig pic through your server it'd make a massive differance.

Are sigs stored on the server? I've had sigs turned off since my first day here so I don't know.

Pruning is supposed to happen tomorrow but no one said yet how far back and if we're still doing it. (seems kinda pointless now)

Guest FrigidSoul

The text is stored on the server. All the pictures however are not, those are kept in your Temp Internet Cache once they've been downloaded from the site they're hosted on.

MrRant can handle this, he obviously has already gone through alot of the checks. This is why I say he should be at least a forum mod for the Comps forum.

Guest Rob Edwards

Are sigs stored on the server? I've had sigs turned off since my first day here so I don't know.

Pruning is supposed to happen tomorrow but no one said yet how far back and if we're still doing it. (seems kinda pointless now)

They're not, which is why I never thought of it as a problem. A techie at work explained that they still eat up bandwith when getting viewed via the server even if they're hosted somewhere else though.

He was right

Guest FrigidSoul

They eat up bandwidth if uploaded directly to your server, otherwise they eat up the bandwidth of the other servers.

Edit: Everytime somebody connects to your server you use bandwidth.

Guest Rob Edwards

Eh, I only speak from experience. We didn't host any banners and losing them cut our bandwith down beyond belief. It doesn't sound like this is relevant here though. Just thought I'd mention it incase Dames ever decides he's paying too much for the site seeing as it wound up saving me at least $50 a month

Pruning is on hold for right now as far as I know in talking with Tom. I think there will be an archiving though of old posts. That way when you are looking for a post say from 2 years ago you only need to do a search in one forum and that will ease the strain on the search engine going through the ENTIRE board.

Guest slacklet

This is more pointless than merging the Food/Shopping folder with General Chat.

Yes, deleting old posts will increase search times. Know why? Because there would be less content to search from. It's not rocket science.

So what are you going to do in a few months when the exact same amount of space is taken up by new posts?

If you can't wait less than 30 seconds for a search of the entire board's archives to complete, then you're way too impatient. Searching for something less than six months old takes 8 seconds here. 8 seconds.

So when it's decreased to 7 seconds after the "pruning" are you going to slap each other on the ass and celebrate?

This is beyond stupid, and I hope the mods have enough sense to reconsider.

Are sigs stored on the server?

The text is, but images aren't. So disabling sigs wouldn't solve anything.

Hell, there's not even a problem to begin with.

And if all this is being done to accomodate mods with 56k (which is what I'm leaning towards), fuck that.

The other problem seems to be the "too many connections" errors. This can be solved by either getting more RAM or limiting the board to being viewed only by registered members. I wouldn't have any problem with the latter. Hell, it would encourage people to join.

Isn't that the whole point anyways?

Guest slacklet
Pruning is on hold for right now as far as I know in talking with Tom. I think there will be an archiving though of old posts. That way when you are looking for a post say from 2 years ago you only need to do a search in one forum and that will ease the strain on the search engine going through the ENTIRE board.

Excellent idea.

Guest FrigidSoul
Eh, I only speak from experience. We didn't host any banners and losing them cut our bandwith down beyond belief.

Are you sure you didn't have the settings so the pics didn't upload to the server's temp cache and then run through there? If images are hosted elswhere they really shouldn't do anything with the bandwidth because its not like people can leech those images from your server and grab your bandwidth.

I think there will be an archiving though of old posts. That way when you are looking for a post say from 2 years ago you only need to do a search in one forum and that will ease the strain on the search engine going through the ENTIRE board.

I was thinking there should be an archive forum. One where all the old Raw, Smackdown, and PPV threads could go. Still, somebody needs to go through and kill all the locked threads where there were two replies and then somebody closed it saying there was a duplicate elsewhere. Along with merging the (for example) massive amounts of Ric Flair DVD threads that basically speak of the same thing. That in itself will be time consuming.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
The other problem seems to be the "too many connections" errors. This can be solved by either getting more RAM or limiting the board to being viewed only by registered members. I wouldn't have any problem with the latter. Hell, it would encourage people to join.

Isn't that the whole point anyways?

I have to agree here. Last for night for example for the JDay thread, at least half the people viewing were "Guests". I think it makes little sense to have this because it just causes slow down, especially on Monday & the occasional sunday nights for the obvious reasons.

If people don't wanna post or add anything, why even bother being around? I didn't know it was that hard to check Meltzers site or any of the other 1,000 news sites that steal the news.