TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

Watchmen

Guest Joshua A. Norton
Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if Veidt had sent his monster to Moscow instead of New York. Would things have turned out differently or would they be the same? Would the strike between the Super-Powers still exist or would they be united?

It would also be interesting to see how Rorschach would react to this idea. What does everyone think would've happened if Veidt had instead sent his monster to Russia?

Jesus tap-dancing christ , can we get some spoiler tags?

but people who haven't read Watchmen don't matter.

Guest JMA
Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if Veidt had sent his monster to Moscow instead of New York. Would things have turned out differently or would they be the same? Would the strike between the Super-Powers still exist or would they be united?

It would also be interesting to see how Rorschach would react to this idea. What does everyone think would've happened if Veidt had instead sent his monster to Russia?

Jesus tap-dancing christ , can we get some spoiler tags?

Anyone who hasn't read the story should have the common sense not to come into a thread discussing the story. OF COURSE there are going to be spoilers. If this thread wasn't associated with Watchmen, then I would agree with you about the spoiler tags. But this isn't the case.

Besides, important elements of the story have already been discussed in the above responses.

Anyone who hasn't read the story should have the common sense not to come into a thread discussing the story. OF COURSE there are going to be spoilers. If this thread wasn't associated with Watchmen, then I would agree with you about the spoiler tags. But this isn't the case.

Common sense? Look at the title of your own thread:

"Watchmen: One of the most influential comics ever"

There's nothing in that title that says that you're talking about the story. You could be talking about the comic's impact on the industry. You could be asking a question about it, asking for recommendations - nobody knows until they open the thread and read further. You make it sound like you advertised "ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION OF THE WATCHMEN" on the title of the thread in a full-screen pop-up ad.

Besides, it can't really hurt to err on the side of caution and take three seconds to throw down spoiler tags for somebody stumbling into the thread, can it?

Besides, important elements of the story have already been discussed in the above responses.

There's a pretty big difference between saying that you liked/disliked a particular part of the story (which is what most of the thread was up to that point) and going into particular details.

My apologies for derailing discussion, but the entire plot of the book builds up to and eventually revolves around the point that you mentioned and, for somebody who is looking to read the book for the first time, the revelation has just been blown.

Guest JMA
My apologies for derailing discussion, but the entire plot of the book builds up to and eventually revolves around the point that you mentioned and, for somebody who is looking to read the book for the first time, the revelation has just been blown.

Well, if you want, I could put up a message in my first post stating that there may be spoilers below.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

At this point why even discuss Watchmen? What can you say that hasn't been said before? It's good? It changed comics forever? It's like walking into the AICN Chatroom and asking if anyone thinks Godfather Part 2 is good.

Guest JMA

Now that the spoiler situation is taken care of, I'll ask the question again: What does everyone think would've happened if Veidt had sent his monster to Moscow? Would Rorschach still have been so adamant about revealing Veidt's plan to the world? Would the creature being released in Russia still have brought the peace between the Super-Powers?

Guest PlatinumBoy
Now that the spoiler situation is taken care of, I'll ask the question again: What does everyone think would've happened if Veidt had sent his monster to Moscow? Would Rorschach still have been so adamant about revealing Veidt's plan to the world? Would the creature being released in Russia still have brought the peace between the Super-Powers?

In Moscow--I could see the Soviets taking it as an attack and striking back. Espically since America, you know, had a guy who could teleport things. Also, Rorschach would still have been unable to keep Veidt's plan under wraps. Despite Rorschach hating many, despite him claming that he wouldn't save the immoral human race as it drowned it blood--he knew humanity had to be saved, so I see the same effect, Rorschach taking the Manhattan Transfer straight to the afterlife.

Guest JMA
In Moscow--I could see the Soviets taking it as an attack and striking back. Espically since America, you know, had a guy who could teleport things. Also, Rorschach would still have been unable to keep Veidt's plan under wraps. Despite Rorschach hating many, despite him claming that he wouldn't save the immoral human race as it drowned it blood--he knew humanity had to be saved, so I see the same effect, Rorschach taking the Manhattan Transfer straight to the afterlife.

Would Rorschach have even tried to tell the world what happened if Moscow was the target instead of New York?

I'd say yes. Sure he's crazy right-wing, but he's got to know there's good people in Moscow. It's not like he's in love with New York. I believe that's made apparent by the first four words in the series. (isn't it 'this city has rabies'?)

Guest PlatinumBoy
In Moscow--I could see the Soviets taking it as an attack and striking back.  Espically since America, you know, had a guy who could teleport things.  Also, Rorschach would still have been unable to keep Veidt's plan under wraps.  Despite Rorschach hating many, despite him claming that he wouldn't save the immoral human race as it drowned it blood--he knew humanity had to be saved, so I see the same effect, Rorschach taking the Manhattan Transfer straight to the afterlife.

Would Rorschach have even tried to tell the world what happened if Moscow was the target instead of New York?

I was a little vague there, sorry :huh:

But........ I think Rorschach would have still told the world. More because of Veidt than Moscow perhaps. Honestly, it may have gone either way--but I still figure Rorschach would have been so angered by the mass murder that he would have still told the world. It plays into his whole "Truman rocked because he dropped the bomb and did the hard stuff" persona. However, Rorschach may have seen the Russians as enemies and not told based on that--but for his slighty off kilter views on the world and brutal treatment of criminals, Rorschach is VERY moral. Look at how he doesn't want to harm a child (that reminds him of himself) when he confronts his landlord. He's a nutjob, but you've got nothing to fear from him if you aren't a criminal.

Also, how freaking badass was Rorschach when he killed the prisoner with the boiling fat and as he was being drug away told the prisoners "I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me." Rorschach might not be the most powerful superhero ever--heck, he's probably one of the weakest, but damn if he isn't scary as hell. I'd rather deal with the Punisher or Lobo or Wolvie or someone--at least then you know the death will come quick, rather than for example--being chained to a furnace and having to chop your arm off before you burn to death.

Guest JMA
It plays into his whole "Truman rocked because he dropped the bomb and did the hard stuff" persona.

Wouldn't Veidt be similar to Truman if he DID send his monster to Moscow instead of New York? He would've killed many, many people to stop a war.

Speaking of Truman, did everyone else notice all the Hiroshima references in Watchmen?

Guest JMA

I found another really good Alan Moore interview. You can check it out here. In the interview Moore talks about Charlton comics, Steve Ditko, the state of comics today, and his current and future projects. I strongly recommend it.

Here's another stupendous interview with Alan Moore, this time discussing Watchmen 18 years after the fact and how prescient many of Moore's themes seem to be.

I've been rereading Watchmen these past few days. I'm only through chapter 3 presently - it's entirely natural to spend 45 minutes on each issue. The frames are so packed with detail and the writing is so superb that I'm relishing every bit. Moreso than any other revisitation, I'm noticing expert foreshadowing and puzzle pieces that bring the entire piece together, both plotwise and thematically. Certainly the finest comic I've ever read.