TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Listen

I can read minds.

TSA:I love Zack

Of course Preppy.

And Sass - the board isn't as ugly as Houston, but that still doesn't mean it isn't starting to suck like her.

She's still heinous looking.

I saw her on Howard Stern a couple of months ago and she was looking like she had been strung out on a crack bender for two weeks.

The girl is a freaking rail now with the nastiest overdone facial features I've seen.

Ugh.

Guest Dazed

That came from frustration - FS posted about it yesterday, and was given the reason for the editing. And then Chevy felt the need to start yet another thread about it, when things should have been ended. I was angry, and I do apologise for the way I worded that, but the point still stands.

Too many muthertruckin posters.  Jebus Cripes.

;)

Make me a mod, and this can all go away.

We made your better half AoO a mod.

Sorry NM, but your taste in music is just too odd for some of us good ol' boys in the mod meeting room.

::blasts some Frankie Valli on TSM stereo::

DISCRIMINATION-IST~!

That came from frustration - FS posted about it yesterday, and was given the reason for the editing.  And then Chevy felt the need to start yet another thread about it, when things should have been ended.  I was angry, and I do apologise for the way I worded that, but the point still stands.

Nik, the thread is off-topic now in that TSM-kind-of-way.

It's about time to know that it's almost impossible to get certain threads here back on topic. This might be one of those. ;)

It doesn't apply to TSM, really.  The Terms of Use agreements regarding pictures implicitly states that you cannot use _any_ of them outside of your own personal use.  However, in terms of things like quotes, it would probably apply.

Actually, Fair Use does allow you to use portions of copyrighted works for your own works. For instance, using a WWE image of a wrestler in your sig. That constitutes fair use.

Beyond that it gets really murky and gray area. Generally, the burden of guilt really starts coming on if you're taking money out of the IP holder's pocket, and with old PPVs and shows that are not sold anywhere to purchase (i.e. old PPVs, Nitro matches, etc) it becomes very hard to prove in court that the IP holder actually lost money.

However, this doesn't really apply to the board management. Every legalese letter sent threatening action if steps aren't taken always lists the links in questions. All Dames or another admin has to do is have those posts edited with the reason why and send a letter back saying the links are gone.

It doesn't mean you have to be pre-emptively looking for copyright infringement. You just have to take it down when caught. Big companies always start out just sending letters because that's cheaper than opening a case, and the only way it goes into fines and courtrooms is usually when you ignore it.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

It's illegal. If people want them that bad email/IM/PM each other.

Do you guys want to risk TSM being shut down?

Of everything Nik may have done this is the least bitch worthy.

EDIT: Uh...Sarcasm people. Most know what I think.

Actually, Fair Use does allow you to use portions of copyrighted works for your own works. For instance, using a WWE image of a wrestler in your sig. That constitutes fair use.

I don't think it does. It allows it for _personal_ use, but a sig isn't personal. It can be saved by others in a public forum, thus allowing for redistribution though means other than teh WWE website. This is covered on the WWE site

"""No materials from this web site may be copied, reproduced, republished uploaded, posted, transmitted or distributed in any way without the express written permission of WWE, except that you may download one copy of the materials on any single computer for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided that (i) you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices; (ii) you do not modify any of the materials; (iii) you do not use any materials, without the express written permission of WWE, in a manner that suggests an association with any of WWE’s products, services or brands and (iv) you do not download quantities of materials to a database, including those that can be used to avoid future downloads from this web site. For purposes of these Terms of Use, the use of any such materials on any other web site or computer environment is prohibited without the express written permission of WWE. """

Look, Banky's being a shit disturber again. What a surprise...

Anyway, I can see points on both sides of this issue. This isn't something that's easy to resolve, though. We have to look at fair use vs. copyright infringement. For a quick fix, I'll say that still photographs will continue to be fine for now, but video and other multimedia clips will have to go, unless you're the copyright/intellectual property holder. This includes clips in your avatars and signatures. It's something of a compromise, and allows us to cover most of the bases.

As for posting links to multimedia: I said it was OK for Deon to do it, so it should be OK for everyone to do it. If you're going to provide a link, though, it should be to a WEBSITE ONLY, NOT DIRECTLY TO A MULTIMEDIA CLIP. Moderators will continue to edit posts in violation of this. Retroactive apologies to those who have had posts edited when only links were present.

We'll go with that for now, and I'll defer the Offical Long-Term Answer to Dames, since his is the keyster ultimately in the sling here.

(legality arguing below. Ignore this post if you don't care about that and want to get back to relevant stuff)

I don't think it does.  It allows it for _personal_ use

Fair use overrides that personal use yaddayadda by saying that you can use pieces of someone else's work in your own work. You can also distribute that work.

Fair Use is how political writers like Al Franken get to put clips of their opposition's books (Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, in this instance) in their books without having to get the author's permission. Since it's just a piece of their much larger work, and a piece of his much larger work, it falls under fair use.

Believe it or not, the IP holder doesn't get the entire final say in each and every situation.

but a sig isn't personal.  It can be saved by others in a public forum, thus allowing for redistribution though means other than teh WWE website.

Doesn't matter, the sig is HIS work. If the entire sig was just an entire copy of their image and nothing more, then sure, you have an arguement there.

Edited by Jobber of the Week

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I talked to Dames, and he said that if the multimedia is from Van Halen's 1984 album it's allowed.

Guest slacklet

Derfderf, I apparently can't read.

:: scampers off ::

Edited by Dr. Tom

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Like I said before, this board is really beginning to suck.

LEAVE THEN

Guest Retro Rob
Its great having a mod team that tries to better things for the posters :)

I really don't see why ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would want to moderate a bunch of whiny, ungreatful, assholes like most of you that post here. How about all the mods decide to boycott this board and then see how much everyone likes it? It would save them quite a bit of time and a whole lot of headaches.

Guest slacklet
How about all the mods decide to boycott this board and then see how much everyone likes it?

That would be like one big, giant party.

I'm down.

How about all the mods decide to boycott this board and then see how much everyone likes it?

I'm down.

pblunt.jpg

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Its great having a mod team that tries to better things for the posters :)

I really don't see why ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would want to moderate a bunch of whiny, ungreatful, assholes like most of you that post here. How about all the mods decide to boycott this board and then see how much everyone likes it? It would save them quite a bit of time and a whole lot of headaches.

Mass Bannings is more fun.

If the people on high don't want copyrighted media posted that could bring trouble for the board/site, where's the problem?

If people are being anuses in whatever thread (regulars or mods), grab hold of the pm button or instant messenger.

If you expect to be able to hang around in the same community routine on a site or board, forget it. Communities evolve.

If you are new to the board, you probably should lurk around a bit before slamming 35 replies a day unless you are somehow able to fit right in with the ebb and flow

Site Feedback has been the most hopping folder over the last week, for all the wrong reasons. If people are getting this worked up over the board, then it's time to take a week off. This isn't even a "get over yourself, it's the fucking internet" point, for example: If I don't like the threads and conversation going on, I go to another site. It's a shame that if a mod wanted to, they'd have to put in an hour of work to merge all the threads on the same topic since they've all blown up this big.

Sometimes the conversations here suck. Sometimes we get some new members that suck. Whoever is unhappy with things either needs to talk to mods/admins with ideas to make things "better", talk to the sucky posters to try and get in their heads about what they are doing, or leave/lurk for a while. Having a sense of humour about the whole thing doesn't hurt either

In my humble opinion, this shouldn't have been an issue beyond Nik editing the media post, and then an announcement or something posted regarding said act. 99% of this shit could have served as much purpose done in Pm's instead of in threads like this.

Also regarding Nik (not that this matters much), I'm fine with what he's doing in the WWE folder. I have a hard enough time wandering through there finding news or discussion on the few things I'm interested regarding that topic, Nik makes it slightly easier when he kills off duplicate/retard/whatever threads.

I'm down.

pblunt.jpg

GEEEEEEEEEZ