TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Nostalgia Trip: Mike Tyson's Punch Out! (NES)

I remember when I was a kid that Soda Popinski could throw my timing off like no other. I rarely beat him, but when I did, the furthest I could get was to Tyson, and I NEVER beat him. Still can't.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly
I never really got much farther then like, the Sandman. But question: Wasn't the Mr. Dream version the original?

The Dream version was released in 1990 when the contract with Tyson expired. And since he was no longer champion, they didn't bother to have it resigned, so they just turned him white and called him Mr. Dream.

Actually the original version of Punch-Out (which was in the arcades I believe), when released in Japan didn't feature Dream or Tyson. They added Tyson when the game came to the US, and then changed him to Dream when it was re-released in 1990 and Tyson was either in jail or on his way there.

Tyson went to jail in 1992, two years AFTER the re-release in America, so thats not why he was removed from the game. But as far as the Japanese version goes, I'll have to trust you on that since I'd have no idea.

I think it was due to a possible combination of the license with Tyson running out and him losing to BUster Douglas.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I'm pretty sure that was the reason. Why bother signing him back when he's not even the Heavyweight Champion anymore? Damn NES...