TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

"It Appears That Nowinski's Career Is Over"

It appears that Chris Nowinski's career is over, as he's just not making progress from his post-concussion syndrome. It's a similar deal to what ended Bret Hart's career. It is not certain, but as time has gone by, it is now considered probable. There is talk of the company hiring him for either a business role or a P.R. role, but nothing has been decided upon. Nowinski has been working with doctors and athletic trainers about the effects of concussions and gave a speech on 5/14 at Fenway Park. "Because of the culture of the game (talking about football, not pro wrestling, although there are mental similarities on this issue), football players are always lying about concussions." Nowinski's problems are believed now to date back to conussions suffered while playing football compounded by those suffered in WWE. The idea of talking is to geth through to players and coaches that it's a serious issue that players are ignoring and hurts them in the long run. The idea is to convince athletes when they admit that they are hurt that they aren't wimping out.

-- credit: Dave Meltzer/Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Damn, I hope they keep him in the company with a different position.

And to think that last year's "Great Debate" with Steiner and Nowinski would be a highlight of their WWE runs and that they'd be retiring at about the same time. :(

As it's been mentioned, hopefully it's just the end of his in-ring career. While even I think his mic skills are a bit overrated, he seemed to take to it like a natural and certainly could be used in some role while he's still under contract.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Damn, that really does suck. He had so much talent and was still evolving. He only got hit lips wet.

It'd be great to see him on television again in some way, shape or form, but to think that his professional wrestling career is over just like that before it even got off the ground if shocking, and he doesn't deserve that.

Oh, god damn it all. I really liked Nowinski and I'd really like to see him on-screen still, perhaps as a manager or something. Of all the Tough Enough grads to have their career ended early...

Someone want to remind me what match caused this, again?

I still remember being at Raw and he came out for his first TV match. Had these special pants that he could rip off almost immediately. The two Matt Hardy fangirls behind me made this agonizing shriek and gasp and the whole scene almost made me break down and laugh loudly.

What else did Dave say this week?

That is probably the main reason I come into the WWE thread, just for WON.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

bye-bye.

He was overrated. Better than Maven but that doesn't mean much at all. Everyone they produced off Tough Enough are horrible. They've got no real grasp of psychology or how to work a match.

It's sad he got injured but I won't miss him at all.

Oh, I'm not going to deny that Nowinski was mediocre at best, but for a guy who had been wrestling for two years upon his injury, he was pretty decent. I thought he was a good heel, though, and that's why I liked him as opposed to ring skills. (He actually had a pretty entertaining match against Maven on Heat at the beginning of last, year, though. Surprised the hell out of me.)

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking
bye-bye.

He was overrated. Better than Maven but that doesn't mean much at all. Everyone they produced off Tough Enough are horrible. They've got no real grasp of psychology or how to work a match.

It's sad he got injured but I won't miss him at all.

Heh. I don't think a rookie can debut on Raw without J.R. commenting on how much of a "bluechipper" or "tremendous athlete" they are.

And Maven was pretty over before his injury - I'm surprised with the lack of pops for the Battle Royale this week.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I wouldn't be against him as a male manager but that's only because they need more male managers.

The kid's got limited potential and skill. drain him and chuck him.

EDIT: Maven's done. It's time to release him.

I always thought Nowinski was the best thing to come out of Tough Enough. Its a shame if his career is actually over as you could tell he actually had a passion for the business. I hope the WWE do keep him around though.

I wonder if the mention that it might have been sustained when he played football was the WWE trying to watch their backs and be guilt free and not have to pay out compensation to him :P

I believe he got injured in a tag match against the Dudleyz last June at a house show.

I believe he got injured in a tag match against the Dudleyz last June at a house show.

The Dudleyz? That explains it.

Hmm...with all of this repackaging of people, giving more gimmicks...

Any chance that Nowinski could become a new version of The Genius...minus actually wrestling?

Or does Lanny Poffo own "The Genius" gimmick?

He had more potential than fucking Mordecai, that's fer sure. I really liekd him, won't claim he was amazing or anything but he's pretty much come in off the street, so he deserves credit.

And another Masshole bites the duts...**sniff**

But hey, this may open the doors for Jonah, assuming he's still working, who doesn't seem like he'd be too bad of a wrestler (and in his ONE TNA match, he wasn't that bad at all, although very green).

^Jonah had a TNA match?^

**chuckle**

And to think that last year's "Great Debate" with Steiner and Nowinski would be a highlight of their WWE runs and that they'd be retiring at about the same time.

Considering how the Iraq War turned out, and considering that Nowinski was supposed to be the heel in the angle, those segments now seem even more laughable.

Here's hoping he gets a managerial role or something as talking and character was his strong point anyway. A modern day version of The Genius as someone else said wouldn't be too bad, as long as the similarities were subtle.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Wow...when did Nowinski become Benoit II? The guy seemed like he was trying to become better, but the fact everyone here is going "oh, I'm gonna miss him, he was great" makes me call out bullshit.

It's sad he had to end his career because of a concussion, but le'ts not pretend we all thought he was a great wrestler because of it.

Wow...when did Nowinski become Benoit II? The guy seemed like he was trying to become better, but the fact everyone here is going "oh, I'm gonna miss him, he was great" makes me call out bullshit.

It's sad he had to end his career because of a concussion, but le'ts not pretend we all thought he was a great wrestler because of it.

Yeah, he's not Chris Benoit, so who gives a shit if the kid's career is finished. It's not like he had a five star match or fifteen standing ovations.

Nobody said Nowinski was a great wrestler. The majority of people said he had potential and was decent as far as character and micwork went. If you had the courtesy to read posts before posting yourself, maybe you'd have realised that.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Yeah, he's not Chris Benoit, so who gives a shit if the kid's career is finished. It's not like he had a five star match or fifteen standing ovations.

Nobody said Nowinski was a great wrestler. The majority of people said he had potential and was decent as far as character and micwork went. If you had the courtesy to read posts before posting yourself, maybe you'd have realised that.

The overall BUTT kissing is over whelming. That's what I've read.

I DID say it was sad his career ended early on such a bad note, but I'm not gonna pretend I thought he was anything more than filler material.

Guest thatdude21601

Anyway... Ya I thought Nowinski was pretty good too. He wasn't exactly a great ring worker , but he certainly played his character well and had tons of charisma(he was such a prick!). He certainly deserves a sweet fairwell, with or without **** matches under his belt.