TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

GNR Behind the Music

The story of Guns N Roses formation is that Tracii Guns(ex-LA Guns, Misfits, Contraband, Poison, Johnny Thunders, etc. guitarist current Brides of Destruction guitarist) had his band LA Guns. Axl Rose came in and became the singer of LA Guns for a brief time before deciding that he wanted to have a band that was his own. He formed Hollywood Rose. Tracii and Axl both felt that they worked well together and when members left both bands around the same time they fit together pretty well. They compromised on the name combing LA Guns and Hollywood Rose to make Guns N' Roses. The band was Axl, Tracii, Izzy, and a guy named Rob Gardener on drums. After a little while they got Duff McKagan to play bass. They played on the strip in LA for a little while before Duff decided there were greater opportunities if they would go up north and play in Seattle. There had already been a good deal of tension at this point, and Tracii thought that staying playing the strip was a much better way to get signed since tons of bands were at the time. The rest of the band wanted to go to Seattle to check it out. Tracii still had LA Guns to fall back on so he decided to stay behind in LA and so did the drummer. Slash was a childhood friend of Tracii Guns and he and Steven had been playing in a band called Road Crew. The guys from Road Crew also helped GNR with setting up their equipment in the early days since Slash was a friend of Tracii's. He was at nearly all of their shows so he knew most of the songs already anyway, so he became the logical choice to fill in on guitar. Steven was also familiar with the songs and friends and bandmates with Slash, so he told them he could play drums. The initial plan was to steal Axl so he could sing in Road Crew, but they soon realized there was something special in GNR. The rest is history.

GNR rarely mention Tracii's stay in the band, often pretending it didn't happen. Tracii doesn't really bring it up much either, but will deal with it when he is asked about it. Tracii claims to have co-written much of Appetite, but never got any royalties, which should have amounted to a ton of money by now, because he didn't think it was necessary to have a lawyer at that point. He's a good guy and doesn't complain about that really, sometimes he kind of seems disappointed that they never appreciated his contribution to the band though.

Chinese Democracy is by the "VMA version", but lead guitarist Buckethead has since quit the band. The latest word is that his playing will be on the album. They had 2 lead guitarists, him and Robin Finck of Nine Inch Nails, plus a rhythm guitarist Richard Fortus, so it isn't clear if Buckethead will be replaced.

Guest The Last Free Voice

So buckethead was a rip on slash or he's always looked like that and axl just HAPPENED to pick a guy who looked alot like slash to fill in for him?

THanks for answering by the way.

Buckethead has been around since 1992 when he came out with his first solo CD "Bucketheadland" and also with the band Praxis on their CD "Transmutation" with the same image. He's been somewhat well known in the "underground" for years as somewhat of a virtuoso guitarist, he's just a lot weirder than the other ones. I'm sure Axl didn't pick him based on looking like Slash, because he doesn't resemble him that much. You never even see his face. Buckethead is also about a foot taller than slash once the bucket is on there.

Guest The Last Free Voice

Oh, cool. I guess i was comparing them based on teh same kind of hair and the fact Slash wore a big bucket like hat sometimes.

In other words I have no fucking clue about GNR and rock music in general. All I have is the new greatest hits CD...

if you're digging that Greatest Hits CD, do yourself a favor and pick up all their CDs, there are tons of awesome songs that didn't make the greatest hits cut...they are worth the money...

Guest Black Tiger

The special was pretty good, although I'm disappointed that when they showed the St Louis riot, they didn't include Axl's famous "thanks to the lame ass security, I'm going home" speech.

Also disappointing, was a lack of emphasis on Stephen, no mention of his lawsuit or anything. When discussing the Montreal Riot, zero about Axl's throat problems, and just ignoring Dizzy Reed altogether. The best line was Matt ripping on Axl, "trying to create a 72 part Ochestra masterpiece"

The special was pretty good, although I'm disappointed that when they showed the St Louis riot, they didn't include Axl's famous "thanks to the lame ass security, I'm going home" speech.

Not to mention his stage dive that came out of no-where, in the middle of Rocket Queen.

The story of Guns N Roses formation is that Tracii Guns(ex-LA Guns, Misfits, Contraband, Poison, Johnny Thunders, etc. guitarist current Brides of Destruction guitarist)

Misfits? Like, Glenn Danzig fronting Misfits?

Has to be two different bands, right?

Guest Black Tiger

It wasn't really "out of nowhere", he was singing Rocket Queen, and then started yelling. "Here I am, and your a Rocket Queen, hey take that! take that! NOW! Sombody grab that guy and take that!. I'll take it God damnit!" and THEN he dove.

He played with the Misfits in 2001 without Danzig, so I guess it is pretty much 2 different bands. I don't think he appears on any albums or anything. Tracii has also toured playing with Motorhead I forgot to mention in there.

Axl Loses Guns Battle

Axl Rose has once again been shot down by the courts.

The Guns N' Roses frontman has lost his bid to block the release of recordings by Hollywood Rose, an earlier incarnation of the chart-topping hair band.

The Roots of Guns N' Roses, an album recorded by Rose, Guns guitarist Izzy Stradlin and two other rockers three years before Guns N' Roses kicked off its careers with Appetite for Destruction, has been on shelves since June 22.

On Tuesday, some three weeks after the offending album's release, the U.S. District Court in New York finally got around to officially denying Axl's request.

The Roots of Guns N' Roses contains five original tracks and 10 tunes that have been remixed with the help of band cofounder Tracii Guns, former GNR guitarist Gilby Clark and drummer Fred Coury of Cinderella fame.

Rose had sued Cleopatra Records, which released Roots on its Deadline Music label, for trademark infringement, improper use of his name and likeness and unfair competition. He claimed the album would put a crimp in the sales of the Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits album, which debuted in March--and which he incidentally also tried to block.

A spokesperson for Guns N' Roses could not immediately be reached for comment.

But this just doesn't seem to be Axl Rose's year when it comes to music. In March, a judge denied his request to block the greatest-hits collection despite Rose's claim that the album would interfere with the band's long-awaited reunion album, Chinese Democracy.

That album, created by Rose and a whole new roster of band members under the name Guns N' Roses, has been in the works for several years now.

Rose spearheaded a reunion in 2002, reforming the band and planning a comeback Chinese Democracy Tour in 2002. Like the album, the Chinese Democracy tour stalled due to Axl's antics and was never completed.

After taking 2003 off from the road, Rose returned to the studio to wrap up Chinese Democracy. It remains to be seen when that album will hit shelves.

Guns N' Roses' Greatest Hits, meanwhile, debuted at number three and had a long run in the Top 10.

As for the other original GNR rockers, Slash and Duff, they have formed a new band, Velvet Revolver, with former Stone Temple Pilot frontman Scott Weiland. Their debut album, Contraband, was released in June and topped the charts.

Credit: E! News

I don't think he has ever won in court ever.

ZAKK WYLDE: Axl called me up and said, "Hey, you want to get together and do some jamming?" I'd say "Dude, did you come up with any lyrics yet?" And he's just like, "Dude, I got people suing me right now." He's on the phone with his lawyers 24-7. He was, like, "I can't come up with any lyrics right now-they'd be about every other lawsuit I got going."----from 1997

Guest Doyo

That Hollywood Rose album is in the top 100 at amazon.

They got some song samples and you can hear the raw anger in Axl's voice.

This album is so never coming out. EVERY year we hear these rumors that "this is finally the year!", then we get supposed reports coming in from people close to the record saying it's done. Then months go by and of course, no album.