TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Hall of Famer James Dudley dead at 93

I really didn't know much about him, but there was a nice (although short) tribute to him at the beginning of Tonights Smackdown voiced over by Vince McMahon with shots of his 1994 HOF induction.

From the hof.wwe.com:

In the 1950s and ‘60s, when fans tuned into WWE’s weekly TV show, few realized the enormous role James Dudley was playing behind the scenes.

Dudley had started in the wrestling trade by working for current owner, Vince McMahon’s grandfather, Jess, before becoming a close confidant of Vince’s father, Vincent James McMahon – known as Vince, Sr. to his associates.  When Vince, Sr. asked Dudley to manager the site of WWE’s broadcasts, the Turner Arena in Washington, DC, history was made.  No other African-American had ever run a major arena in the United States.

In the nation’s capitol, Dudley became a psuedo-celebrity, exciting crowds when he ran out to the ring, waving a towel, before fellow Hall of Famer Bobo Brazil’s matches there.

Guest Dynamite Kido

WOW, this is really unexpected as I just watched the Hall of Fame DVD and he was mentioned as a previous inductee. Well, my condolences to his family....

Last time he was on camera was during Steph's attempt to get back on TV one night to meet with Flair after he had just bought the company.

She wheels in Dudley, tells security that he is a family friend and she is helping him for the evening. (interestingly enough, there was speculation on thye Net because of his name that he was being re-introduced as another realitive of Devon, Bubba and Spike)

Well the guy saw Dudley's name on the list and let him in, but kept Steph out

Steve

Guest FrigidSoul

Condolences to the family. James Dudley was a pioneer and an inspiration to many blacks around the country who wished to get into the wrestling bussiness. The wrestling bussiness truly lost one if its better patriarchs.

From the Greatest 50 Wrestlers of All Time by WWE Magazine-

"Someone once asked me what I would do if I saw two fights-- my father in one and Vince (Sr.) in the other," Dudley recalls. "I'd run over to my father first and say, 'Hold on the best you can. I'll help Vince, and come right back.'"

RIP James Dudley. I, as a wrestling fan, thank you for what you've done.

That was a nice tribute they did for him at the start of SD tonight.